inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What music were you raised with?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/14/11 at 11:35 pm

When you were growing up--in your youngest memories, or youngest home movies or whatever--what music colored your childhood? For me, it was a mix of 50s & 60s Doo Wop, the music from Disney movies and the like of course, 60s rock like the Rolling Stones; Folk Rock like Simon & Garfunkel, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Cat Stevens; 70s rock songs like "Rock N' Roll Hootchie Koo", Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, and the Cranberries. Probably a lot more but that's what I remember and that's also what's on record.

Subject: Re: What music were you raised with?

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/16/11 at 8:15 am

I don't recall my parents listening to much music other than Christmas music,  some Frank Sinatra & Tony Bennett and some stuff from the 50's.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/16/11 at 12:12 pm

Wow...a LOT!

My dad is as big of a music lover as I am.  As a result, I was raised on classic rock, Motown, classical, folk, and even some New Age music.  When I was in middle school I recorded all of my dad's Beatles records onto cassette tapes.  He has an incredible collection, and still plays his records.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/11 at 12:19 pm

I had a lot of influences from many members of my family.

Mother: Musicals, Big Band.
Father: Classical. Ragtime.
Brother: Demented (BEFORE Dr. Demento.), pop/rock-i.e. Harry Niellson,
Sister #1: Pop/rock-i.e. Beatles, Beach Boys, Motown, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.
Sister #2: 50's pop/rock-i.e. Bill Haley, Danny & the Jrs, etc. 60s, pop/rock-i.e. music from Woodstock, the Carpenters, etc.

So, I grew up with almost every kind of music (except country-but I do remember some country in there but not a lot).

The music that I discovered for myself was New Age & World music (i.e. Irish, French, etc.)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/16/11 at 12:46 pm

My Parents enjoyed the doo wop, the 50's and the 60's era but as for me I'm more of a disco and funk type of person someone who enjoyed the late 70's and early 1980's.

Written By: wildcard on 12/16/11 at 12:55 pm

My Mom had a Heart record and my dad had a Styx record.  My dad would sometimes pick up a guitar and sometimes play Locomotive Breath.  My mom had some CCR tapes too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/11 at 10:05 pm

Other than your usual nursery rhymes the earliest songs I remember are Beatles songs...

Strawberry Fields Forever, Hello Goodbye, Obla-Di-Obla-Da, Lady Madonna, Eleanor Rigby all quickly come to mind.

What else?

The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Donovan, Cat Stevens, Muddy Waters, J.S. Bach, The Incredible String Band, Frank Zappa, Bukka White, Pink Floyd, Tchaikovsky, Ravi Shankar, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, James Taylor, Beethoven, The Clancy Brothers, Tom Lehrer, Vivaldi, Mozart, Janis Joplin, Jimmi Hendrix, Smithsonian Folkways ethnic music records, Spanish classical guitar music, early synthesizer music, jug bands, Indian ragas, roots blues, gospel choirs...too much to list, really. 

My father always listened to classical music on the radio, but it was rock 'n roll when my mom or my sisters were in charge. 

Nobody in family liked jazz, but I discovered it for myself later.

In lieu of the usual Disney and Captain Kangaroo records I had Monty Python and the Fire Sign Theater!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rainote.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/17/11 at 10:44 pm

Mom: "Why are you listening to the B-sides of the 45 RPM records?"  (early rock-and-roll and R&B)

Foo the Younger: "Because I haven't heard it before!"

Dad: "Hey, this was just as popular as the stuff Mom liked, but she never got into it, and as soon as she's not around, try listening to this!"  (late 60s psychedelic rock)

Dad pulled out the forbidden-because-it-was-'acid rock'-LP of Iron Butterfly, and 17 minutes later, the rest was history.

I was never able to bring "rock and roll" over the hill to appreciate "rock" (which in my day meant "metal"), but I was able to get them to agree on 80s ZZ Top.  Bluesey enough to the recognizable as music to Mom, and enough guitar to be appreciated as music by Dad.  Mom's limit was 80s synthpop (but she didn't quite make it to late-80s Sigue Sigue Sputnik), and Dad's was 90s KMFDM/NIN-style industrial-rock (Huh?  I get the guitars, but why do they sound so angry?)

Thanks for this thread.  Next time I'm in town, I'm gonna spring some dubstep on 'em, just for the lulz.  I'm pretty sure can both handle reggae and dub.  If I set the mix up correctly, I think they might be able to take some 90s/00s DnB.  It's been years since I've thought that it mattered, and now I'm wondering just where their line is.  I'll start the playlist with some harmless UB40 and work my way towards the deep end. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/11 at 2:45 pm

Mom: "Why are you listening to the B-sides of the 45 RPM records?"  (early rock-and-roll and R&B)

Foo the Younger: "Because I haven't heard it before!"

Dad: "Hey, this was just as popular as the stuff Mom liked, but she never got into it, and as soon as she's not around, try listening to this!"  (late 60s psychedelic rock)

Dad pulled out the forbidden-because-it-was-'acid rock'-LP of Iron Butterfly, and 17 minutes later, the rest was history.

I was never able to bring "rock and roll" over the hill to appreciate "rock" (which in my day meant "metal"), but I was able to get them to agree on 80s ZZ Top.  Bluesey enough to the recognizable as music to Mom, and enough guitar to be appreciated as music by Dad.  Mom's limit was 80s synthpop (but she didn't quite make it to late-80s Sigue Sigue Sputnik), and Dad's was 90s KMFDM/NIN-style industrial-rock (Huh?  I get the guitars, but why do they sound so angry?)

Thanks for this thread.  Next time I'm in town, I'm gonna spring some dubstep on 'em, just for the lulz.  I'm pretty sure can both handle reggae and dub.  If I set the mix up correctly, I think they might be able to take some 90s/00s DnB.  It's been years since I've thought that it mattered, and now I'm wondering just where their line is.  I'll start the playlist with some harmless UB40 and work my way towards the deep end. :)

My mom liked some of my music.  She hated Depeche Mode, Devo, and Front 242.  She loved Talking Heads, Laurie Anderson, and The B-52s.  It was a tossup.  She did like reggae, which my sister and her boyfriend discovered in LRY.  I didn't get into reggae until later.  I liked mostly trippy dub stuff:  African Head Charge, Mad Professor, Lee "Scratch" Perry, Burning Spear, Creation Rebel, Jah Chaka, and anything from On-U-Sound, but I burned out on it in the late nineties. 

I thought my mom's tastes were coarse and pedestrian.  She like hard rock.  Bob Seger, ZZ Top, Foreigner, Heart...Ugh, I hated that stuff.
8-P

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/19/11 at 10:20 am

My dad was into the big band stuff, and especially Glen Miller.  Mom was into Spanish Caribbean, merengue, mombo, etc.  Dad's younger sister like both kinds of music, country and western  I of course got into the early rock, Buddy Holly etc. and evolved along with rock, got into baroque, folk, other ethnic and jazz.  Later I discovered Andean music.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/12/12 at 6:05 pm

My Dad listened to classical and the Irish Rovers.  My Mom listened to Peter Paul and Mary, Jim Nabors and Anne Murray.  My siblings listen to anything ranging from Black Sabbath to Shawn Cassidy and Bob Dylan.

Written By: warped on 12/12/12 at 6:38 pm

Big band music, Artists such as Tommy & Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington.
Also the crooners: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett.
Also classical music. Not much baroque but a heavy dose of Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky.

This is what my parents listened to. From that list I don't mind Dean Martin & Sinatra. I like Mozart, Tchaikovsky & Vivaldi too.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/12 at 7:08 pm

Doo Wop, Disco, Funk and a bit of the 80's.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/13/12 at 4:01 am

I grew up in a very working class, very diversified neighborhood so I grew up with early Rock n Roll, Doo Wop, Italian opera, and Klezmer.  Eventually I tried a little bit of everything, I think it is why I am never say I hate any type of music, there is some good in all of it.  ;)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/13/12 at 4:29 am

Even though I was very young in the 80s, I still associate some pop songs from that era with my earlier childhood. A lot of 1984/85 titels seemed not to be very uncommon around 1991/92.

And then of course typical early/mid-90s pop music like Ace of Base etc. When teen pop gained popularity, I was not really into it. In the late 90s and first half of the 00s (mostly the early teens to early adulthood) I listened to very old school 20s, 30s and 40s music because I was so fascinated by the old technology.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/12 at 12:19 pm

Big band music, Artists such as Tommy & Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington.
Also the crooners: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett.
Also classical music. Not much baroque but a heavy dose of Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky.

This is what my parents listened to. From that list I don't mind Dean Martin & Sinatra. I like Mozart, Tchaikovsky & Vivaldi too.

Since you listened to Big Bands, you may remember Les Brown and his Band of Renown-that used to play with Bob Hope. Long before he had his Band of Renown his band was called The Blue Devils. My step-father played drums for him at that time.

Cat

Written By: warped on 12/13/12 at 12:26 pm

Since you listened to Big Bands, you may remember Les Brown and his Band of Renown-that used to play with Bob Hope. Long before he had his Band of Renown his band was called The Blue Devils. My step-father played drums for him at that time.

Cat

Yeah, sure, I've heard Les Brown before.
Step-father played drums for him? Cool...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/12 at 12:27 pm

Yeah, sure, I've heard Les Brown before.
Step-father played drums for him? Cool...

I was trying to find a pic of him but the one pic I did find of the Blue Devils, my step-dad was not in it.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: warped on 12/13/12 at 12:33 pm

I was trying to find a pic of him but the one pic I did find of the Blue Devils, my step-dad was not in it.  :-\\

Cat

do you have photoshop?  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/12 at 12:49 pm

do you have photoshop?  ;)

;D ;D ;D  Actually, I do not.  :-[ :-\\

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/14/12 at 8:57 pm

I grew up with Sound of Music, Thoroughly Modern Millie, My Fair Lady, 2012 Space Odyssy, Music Man, Oklahoma and who knows what else sound tracks!

Feranti and Teischer (sp???), Herb Alpert and the Tijuanna Brass, Boston Pops Orchestra, Baja Marimba Band, and Chet Atkins... 

I also had brothers and sister (10, 13, and 14 years older) so I listened to Beatles, Monkees, Pink Floyd, The doors, etc...,

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/15/12 at 11:49 am

I grew up with Sound of Music, Thoroughly Modern Millie, My Fair Lady, 2012 Space Odyssy, Music Man, Oklahoma and who knows what else sound tracks!

Feranti and Teischer (sp???), Herb Alpert and the Tijuanna Brass, Boston Pops Orchestra, Baja Marimba Band, and Chet Atkins... 

I also had brothers and sister (10, 13, and 14 years older) so I listened to Beatles, Monkees, Pink Floyd, The doors, etc...,

My daddy was a rag-time trombone player,
My mommy was a rag-time cabaret-er.
They met one day at a tango tea,
There was a syncopated wedding,
And then came me!
Folks think the way I walk is a fad,
But it's a birthday present from my mommy and dad-dy.
I'm a jazz baby, little jazz baby, that's me.

;)

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/15/12 at 8:41 pm

My daddy was a rag-time trombone player,
My mommy was a rag-time cabaret-er.
They met one day at a tango tea,
There was a syncopated wedding,
And then came me!
Folks think the way I walk is a fad,
But it's a birthday present from my mommy and dad-dy.
I'm a jazz baby, little jazz baby, that's me.

;)

Cat
there's something in the sound of a saxophone...

;). Glad my daughter decided to play one!

Written By: warped on 12/21/12 at 1:39 pm

there's something in the sound of a saxophone...

;). Glad my daughter decided to play one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kLxLdtIiE

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/21/12 at 6:47 pm

Before Michael Jackson seduced me, I listened to what my folks played.

My mother was religious and loved gospel music. I watched Bobby Jones Gospel EVERY sunday. I still have a bunch of the gospel CDs she left to me.  And Daddy, who was a drummer and even played with Ike and Tina Turner once in the 60s, loved blues music. I remember being really little and Daddy letting my stand on his feet, and we danced to BB King. Daddy saw all the greats play, BB King, Ray Charles, Muddy Waters, Bobby Blue Bland...a whole bunch. He'd tell me about them all the time.

I also listened to early rap--before gangsta rap went mainstream--an ALOT of soul and R&B. Whitney Houston, Kelly Price...so many people it's reedonk. Motown artists, old doo-wop groups. My taste in music is eclectic and very old. One minutes I'm kicking the Lovin' Spoonfuls, the next, Backstreet Boys. I mean that's me.

Written By: Howard on 12/21/12 at 7:48 pm

My Mother And Father grew up listening to Doo-Wop 1950's and 1960's with a bit of Motown Soul And R&B mixed in.

Written By: valleyroads on 01/21/13 at 4:37 am

Country, Michael Bolton, Chris DeBurgh, Pablo Cruise, Christopher Cross (I was actually named for Christopher Cross and Chris DeBurgh), Rod Stewart.

Written By: NullandVoid on 02/01/13 at 7:16 pm

Childhood(inside the house)
What us black people call "Grown folk Music". Teddy Pendergrass, Patti Labelle, Mtume, Luther Vandross, Tina Turner and the like. Frankie Beverly, Issac Hayes Jazz(bleh), Smooth Jazz

Childhood(outside the house)
Pop- Samantha Fox, New Kids on the Block and GEORGE MICHAEL :D
Free-Style - EVERYONE I loved it all
Hip Hop - again everyone! I lived for Salt N Pepa

Side story I discovered music "before my time" because of a Franki Vallie & the Four Seasons tape that I found in the street. It was a white & Yellow single of December 1963(Oh what a night). I was hooked immediately after listening. I would stay up late to watch the TIME LIFE collection commercials just so I could hear more music like that.

Once we got cable and MTV and The BOX entered my life--it was a wrap!!!

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/06/13 at 10:00 am

When I was a child, my parents were in their 20s. So they were pretty much into what was current at the time...'80s music! Back then in the '80s my mother would always listen to music on FM and watch MTV or VH1. So I was raised on that. When I got older and was a teenager I listened to a lot of different types of music, even world music. I listened to the top 40 a lot in the '90s. And also at that time, as a teenager, I grew up listening to '60s and '70s music because of my parents. That is why some people wonder how I know so much about older music and I am just 33. So yeah, it's thanks to my parents for that!<3

Written By: warped on 11/06/13 at 3:47 pm

And also at that time, as a teenager, I grew up listening to '60s and '70s music because of my parents. That is why some people wonder how I know so much about older music and I am just 33. So yeah, it's thanks to my parents for that!<3

You were blessed! Smart parents!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/06/13 at 5:54 pm

I was raised on Rock, Soul And Doo-Wop.

Written By: warped on 11/06/13 at 6:02 pm

I was raised on Sinatra, Bing Crosby..the crooners!!!
And Leonard Bernstein, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Andy Williams.

No rock in our home. Elvis and his like were evil according to my parents.

Written By: Howard on 11/06/13 at 6:12 pm

How was he evil, according to them? ???

Written By: warped on 11/06/13 at 6:24 pm

How was he evil, according to them? ???

I guess coz Elvis represented Rock and Roll. And my parents thought Rock and Roll was bad, evil, all that stuff. Also you have to remember when I was born, no one in America or Canada even heard of the Beatles yet or the Stones.  So Rock was still fairly new when I was born. My dad was born in 1921 and Rock'n'roll didn't happen until he was in his mid 30s.  We usually like the music we heard when we were younger than that.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/06/13 at 7:54 pm

My parents tolerated MJ, I just remember my mother didn't like him grabbing his crotch all the time.
"If he didn't do that... I'd be alright with him."--My mother said that.

Written By: Howard on 11/07/13 at 8:10 am

My parents tolerated MJ, I just remember my mother didn't like him grabbing his crotch all the time.
"If he didn't do that... I'd be alright with him."--My mother said that.

Madonna did the same thing in a few of her videos too.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/07/13 at 2:33 pm

Madonna did the same thing in a few of her videos too.

Well, Madge didn't have anything there. Mike "dangled". And if he grabbed the "dangle" too often, it "stood up" which is why to this day, there's a cult devoted to his metallic gold spandex pants.  ;D

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/09/13 at 11:09 am

I was raised on Sinatra, Bing Crosby..the crooners!!!
And Leonard Bernstein, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Andy Williams.

When I was a teenager we had a similar thing going on in our home. My parents, especially my father, thought that Hip Hop and Gangsta Rap was the worst and most evil music there was. So we were never allowed to listen to any of it.

I was raised mainly on Pop, R&B, Dance, World, Alternative, oldies/'60s and '70s music thanks to my parents and their sweet nostalgia<3 

Written By: nally on 11/09/13 at 4:49 pm

Mostly "oldies", along with late 70's/early 80's top 40 (since I was in my single digits during the 1980s, so, whatever was on "current" pop stations at the time).

Written By: XYkid on 11/11/13 at 5:58 pm

Mostly 60s and 70s rock from my parents, grunge and alternative rock from my older cousins, eurodance from my relatives from Canada and Spain, and boy bands and Radio Disney type pop from friends my age.

Written By: Paul on 11/23/13 at 3:58 pm

I grew up with the usual stuff that both my sisters would get their kicks on (Osmonds, Bay City Rollers, all that jazz!)

Then, somewhere along the way, my uncle (Ma's brother) used to play classics from Deep Purple, Eagles and whatnot, which somehow seeped into my mind.

For some reason, I'm not sure why, partway through the 80s, I began going backwards - buying up any old crud I could get my hands on from the 50's onwards - developing a deep love for music from the decades I missed.

In short, I'm not what you'd call intensive in my tastes, but I do have a pretty wide spread...

(But enough about my physique!)

Written By: Katluver on 11/24/13 at 10:41 pm

Brother: classic rock (ie. Police), top 40
Parents:  Abba, Linda Ronstadt, Helen Reddy, Andrew Lloyd Webber, the oldies station on the radio (including obscure Canadian artists from the late 60s/70s ie. Poppy Family, Lighthouse, Edward Bear...),

Written By: warped on 11/25/13 at 6:44 am

(including obscure Canadian artists from the late 60s/70s ie. Poppy Family, Lighthouse, Edward Bear...),

3 great Canadian bands I used to listen to in elementary school.

Written By: tv on 05/10/15 at 9:44 pm

My Mom always liked R&B/Soul Music(Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Anita Baker or Smokey Robinson.) She was very into music till like 1994 overall. She was very into Mariah Carey's music I remember. My Dad liked Rock when I was a kid in the 80's like Bruce Springsteen.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/15 at 6:58 am

I was introduced into classical music at a very young age by my parents, and the appreciation is still here today.

Written By: Katluver on 05/11/15 at 11:07 am

Also the Beatles and Neil Diamond

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/15 at 11:10 am

I was introduced into classical music at a very young age by my parents, and the appreciation is still here today.

Also the Beatles and Neil Diamond
Thanks for reminding me, my elder sister was heavily into The Beatles.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/15 at 3:33 pm

50's Doo-Wop, Rock And Roll

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/03/15 at 3:53 pm

MOSTLY Jazz, Rock, and R&B!!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/15/15 at 8:00 pm

I would say that I grew up with classical music, classic rock, heavy metal and R&B music.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/15/15 at 10:12 pm

80s music that was carried over into the early 90s by my 70s born brother and sister. They saved their 80s CDs and tapes, I heard Michael Jackson, Paula Abdul, and Janet Jackson.

I also grew up listening to a lot of early 90s music because I was forced to because my brother and sister were still listening to modern music, modern for then (the early 90s).

Lots of music from 1987-1993 is the music year ranges I remember!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/13/15 at 5:00 am

60s pop music such as Gerry and the Pacemakers, and cover band/doo wop artists such as Sha Na Na, but we did not listen to the Beatles or Rolling Stones, and nothing too heavy like Led Zepplin or Cream or anything like that.  Just mostly pop music but I can't remember any specific groups other then Gerry and the Pacemakers and Sha Na Na and some Motown.

In the 70s, we would listen to country music and those "trucker" songs that would mostly be someone talking and music in the background such as:

C.W. McCall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVh179oXFao

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/15 at 5:04 am

60s pop music such as Gerry and the Pacemakers, and cover band/doo wop artists such as Sha Na Na, but we did not listen to the Beatles or Rolling Stones, and nothing too heavy like Led Zepplin or Cream or anything like that.  Just mostly pop music but I can't remember any specific groups other then Gerry and the Pacemakers and Sha Na Na and some Motown.

In the 70s, we would listen to country music and those "trucker" songs that would mostly be someone talking and music in the background such as:

C.W. McCall
Did you ever get to see the 1978 film "Convoy" with Kris Kristofferson?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/13/15 at 5:09 am

Did you ever get to see the 1978 film "Convoy" with Kris Kristofferson?

Yes, a very long time ago, an Smokey and the Bandit and The Cannonbll Run.  All of those movies on t.v. when I was a child (and I remember enjoying them back then.)  I can't say if I'd like then nearly as much from an adult's perspective nowadays.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/15 at 7:07 am

Yes, a very long time ago, an Smokey and the Bandit and The Cannonbll Run.  All of those movies on t.v. when I was a child (and I remember enjoying them back then.)  I can't say if I'd like then nearly as much from an adult's perspective nowadays.
It seems those are now lost to the film archives.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/13/15 at 12:48 pm

C.W. McCall

Haven't heard that song in a LONG time. Believe it or not, I understood most of what he said. CBs were all the rage in the '70s. My brother & Dad were into them so naturally, my sisters & I used them from time to time. Had to learn the lingo. 10-4!

Another song by C.W. McCall that I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3OXqRciinw

Dr. Demento played this one a lot.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/15 at 12:53 pm

C.W. McCall
Come to think of it, I should still have the single, somewhere.

...and the parody single from the same time "Convoy GB" by Laurie Lingo And The Dipsticks.

Written By: nally on 09/13/15 at 6:54 pm

I think I was, too.

Also, my parents have been involved in the church since I was a young age, so I was also raised with religious music, being exposed to it every Sunday.

Written By: Ripley on 10/16/15 at 2:53 pm

My mom let me listen to whatever I want.  I grew up on MTV before it became crap.  But I discovered a lot of what I listen to through the internet.  As far as what I was around.  Well my mom mostly listens to 80s and 90s Pop and New Wave.  Whereas my grandparents listen to Classic Country.  During the 90s they listening to a lot of Mainstream Country which I did enjoy at the time.  I still enjoy good Country from Alan Jackson and a few others but none of that radio stuff out now.  Really the only present music I enjoy now is not radio played.  But growing up I listen to a lot of random things.  Alternative Rock and Goth Rock have always been my top two though.

Written By: Redhairkid on 04/20/16 at 1:08 pm

I grew up with the sounds of the Beatles, the Hollies, Motown and Dave Brubeck.

My parents didn't like popular music.

Written By: Starlighter on 04/29/16 at 2:24 am

I grew up on 50's and 60's music.  Lots of Beatles and Elvis music.  My parents would also so buy the Billboard tapes with compilations from the 50's and 60's. 

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/13/16 at 2:00 am

I was raised very heavily on 90s music. Artists/bands I was raised with include Linkin Park (HT and Meteora), Evanescence, System of a Down, Static-X, Pearl Jam, Garbage, Collective Soul, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Powderfinger, The Smashing Pumpkins, Live, Alice Cooper, Def Leppard and The Beatles. My parents never listened to the radio (only on the very rare occasion), so I only ever listened to the bands I listed above. In many ways, I had a very 90s influenced childhood.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/15/16 at 8:06 pm

R&B and Hip Hop.

Written By: wixness on 09/16/16 at 10:40 am

Parents' music (e.g. Gary V, Bon Jovi, Martin Nievera, Lea Salonga) and various pop and/or pop rock songs I found on YT (e.g. Avril Lavigne in her punk image days, Cascada).

Written By: 2001 on 09/16/16 at 11:33 am

Parents' music (e.g. Gary V, Bon Jovi, Martin Nievera, Lea Salonga) and various pop and/or pop rock songs I found on YT (e.g. Avril Lavigne in her punk image days, Cascada).

Eeeeeeeeeeee my childhood!  :D

90s Disney music and Y2K-era teen pop were my early music.

Subject: What music were you raised with?

Written By: Dude111 on 07/08/17 at 2:51 am

When you were growing up--in your youngest memories, or youngest home movies or whatever--what music colored your childhood?

Ahhhh the beautiful sound of ANALOGUE music!!!!! (Which I love so much now)

Rock,etc.........

Check for new replies or respond here...