inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Seasonal Affective Disorder

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/22/12 at 7:03 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

Seasonal Affective Disorder, also known as Seasonal Depression is something that I suffer from horribly in the winter time.  It has really set in heavily for me this year, for some reason.  I start each day in a fairly good mood, but by mid day I hate everyone and everything.  I am so ornery and sad, and just...blah.  Does anyone else experience this?  How do you cope?

Subject: Re: Seasonal Affective Disorder

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/22/12 at 7:22 pm

I deal with this also.  Some years are worse then others.  My worst year yet was when I first moved to Pittsburgh in 2007.  I was damn near suicidal.  It was a combination of the stress of moving, my mom's impending heart surgery, the dreary days and just the sheer amount of crap we tried to stuff into this place.

How I coped?  Did research into SAD, started taking vitamin D (reasonably high dose, but got to be careful) and just tried to not stress about everything and stuff I couldn't change right away.  Oddly enough, looking into a bright lamp with my eyes closed, even though it probably wasn't a bright idea  :D helped a little.  Try to work something that really makes you happy into your weekly routine.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/22/12 at 8:02 pm

I suffer from chronic disthymic depression, but my symptoms do get worse with shorter daylight hours.  Bookmistress has the right suggestions.  I can't say I'm following my own advice here, but I think it's important also to exercise during the day.  Get out and get your blood pumping and get some electrolytes flowing.  I find that helps too.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/23/12 at 9:51 am

I suffer from chronic disthymic depression, but my symptoms do get worse with shorter daylight hours.  Bookmistress has the right suggestions.  I can't say I'm following my own advice here, but I think it's important also to exercise during the day.  Get out and get your blood pumping and get some electrolytes flowing.  I find that helps too.

I have been working out, and I think it helps.  But only for a little while, and then the winter blues are back in full force. 

I need to start taking Vitamin D. 

I've also heard about people going to tanning salons just to get some of that UV light.  I really don't want to go that far, because my sister has pre cancerous skin cancer cells, so it scares me.  But that being said, I can certainly see the wisdom in it. 

I keep thinking I just need to move to a warmer climate.  ;D

Written By: karen on 02/24/12 at 9:30 am

You can buy daylight bulbs to use in your home or maybe as a desk lamp.  Some people find this is enough to help their symptoms.  Other people need the stronger light from a lightbox.

There's more on this website, don't know if there is a similar organisation in the USA

http://www.sad.org.uk/

Written By: karen on 02/24/12 at 9:31 am

http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/

Written By: snozberries on 02/24/12 at 1:25 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

Seasonal Affective Disorder, also known as Seasonal Depression is something that I suffer from horribly in the winter time.  It has really set in heavily for me this year, for some reason.  I start each day in a fairly good mood, but by mid day I hate everyone and everything.  I am so ornery and sad, and just...blah.  Does anyone else experience this?  How do you cope?

I have a suggestion MOVE TO LA!  There's better weather and even if you do get depressed and moody I'll be nearby to distract you and pull you out of it...  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 02/24/12 at 1:26 pm

I keep thinking I just need to move to a warmer climate.  ;D

now you're talking....

Written By: Jessica on 02/24/12 at 5:46 pm

I have it.  I take a buttload of Vitamin D, but it only helps so much.  I usually spend my days huddled in bed, just totally apathetic.  I hate it.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/25/12 at 5:23 pm

I have it.  I take a buttload of Vitamin D, but it only helps so much.  I usually spend my days huddled in bed, just totally apathetic.  I hate it.

Word

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/25/12 at 5:23 pm

I have a suggestion MOVE TO LA!  There's better weather and even if you do get depressed and moody I'll be nearby to distract you and pull you out of it...  ;)

I am not exaggerating when I say that I think about it every day.  I just don't have the money right now.  I need to get out of debt and then start fresh.

Written By: snozberries on 02/25/12 at 6:18 pm

I am not exaggerating when I say that I think about it every day.  I just don't have the money right now.  I need to get out of debt and then start fresh.

I know...believe me... I want to move to LA too... I wish I could afford it. As much as I love Santa Barbara my heart and my life is in LA.  IF I could swing we'd both be residing there!  ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/26/12 at 11:01 pm

I know...believe me... I want to move to LA too... I wish I could afford it. As much as I love Santa Barbara my heart and my life is in LA.  IF I could swing we'd both be residing there!  ;)

Can we live in Burbank?  Because I would seriously try to make that happen. 

Written By: snozberries on 02/26/12 at 11:08 pm

totally....just not right on Michelle's street... I love and all---- but need some distance!  ;D
also consider Toulca Lake, it's burbank adjacent and slightly easier access to the important freeways.  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/27/12 at 10:51 am

Under the smogberry trees?

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/28/12 at 12:11 am

Under the smogberry trees?

Cat

burbank is beautiful!

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/28/12 at 10:18 am

burbank is beautiful!

And now, from beautiful down town Burbank...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/28/12 at 3:20 pm

burbank is beautiful!

It really is!  I've never been to Toulca Lake but if Snoz likes it I like it!  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 02/28/12 at 6:05 pm

It really is!  I've never been to Toulca Lake but if Snoz likes it I like it!  ;)

you've driven thru it you just didn't know it.....that's how much like burbank it is...

Written By: Bobby on 05/01/12 at 7:11 pm

Awww, I'm sorry to hear you have some form of Seasonal Affective Disorder, Ash.

I am very fortunate that I don't suffer from S-A-D. Weather is weather to me and when you get it like we do in England, you have to buck your ideas up pretty sharpishly otherwise you would be miserable everyday, lol.

Our weather is so banal that if we get a bit of sun you see random men going around topless even if the temperature is just above freezing. If we get a bit of sun and you're not out in it for the time it is out then you are classed as a nutter.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/12 at 11:00 pm

I get this way when I weather becomes warmer and Summer arrives. I become a miserable mess of a person. :-\\

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/01/12 at 11:24 pm

I get this way when I weather becomes warmer and Summer arrives. I become a miserable mess of a person. :-\\

That's interesting.  What is it about summer that brings you down?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/12 at 11:59 pm

That's interesting.  What is it about summer that brings you down?

The heat and the excessive sunshine. I know, weird, huh? ???

Written By: Howard on 05/02/12 at 7:09 am

but Summer should be a happy time.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/12 at 7:10 am

I hate the high humidity.

Written By: Henk on 05/02/12 at 9:24 am

Move to The Netherlands. We don't have summer. ...Or winter, for that matter.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/02/12 at 9:29 am

Move to The Netherlands. We don't have summer. ...Or winter, for that matter.

So you're basically the Seattle of Europe?  ;)

To Erin - you like what you like - you can't really help that.  I'm sorry you are entering your bad time...I feel like I'm just coming back to life.

Written By: Henk on 05/02/12 at 9:39 am

So you're basically the Seattle of Europe?  ;)

No - Seattle is the Holland of America.  :P We have senior rights.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/02/12 at 9:40 am

No - Seattle is the Holland of America.  :P We have senior rights.

LOL!  You're right of course.  :-[

Just being a typical American who thinks the world revolves around me.  ;)

Written By: Henk on 05/02/12 at 9:56 am

LOL!  You're right of course.  :-[

Just being a typical American who thinks the world revolves around me.  ;)

Ah, that's okay. As long as you don't believe the sun revolves around the earth. ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/02/12 at 10:25 am

Ah, that's okay. As long as you don't believe the sun revolves around the earth. ;)

But it does...doesn't it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/12 at 11:02 am

I don't like the heat and humidity either.

I prefer either Spring and/or Autumn.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/02/12 at 8:00 pm

Cat

I like the Spring and Autumn too, it's nice and cool during those seasons.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/02/12 at 9:33 pm

Cat

Same here, Cat! :D

Check for new replies or respond here...