inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Dreaded Painless Migraine.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/16/12 at 9:26 pm

I frequently suffer migraines, usually it is a dull pain on one side of my head or behind my eyes. Sometimes, rarely though,
I get the debilitating, extremely painfull, squeeze your head and pray for death migraines. The migraine I hate most of all
though is the dreaded painless migraine or what I call Kaleidoscope eyes.

I walk 3.5 miles every other day and in the middle of today's walk I was struck with an ocular migraine. Here I am 1.5 miles
from home and I get the zigzag visual distortion, the vertigo, the rubber legs and an all around surreal feeling. I'll take the
dull ache but I hate when my vision is screwy. It has since passed, they don't last long and since I've learned what they are
They aren't as scary but once the kaleidoscope eyes hit the dibilitating migraine isn't far behind.

Am I alone, or does anyone else know the feeling I speak of, any other painless migraine sufferers?

Subject: Re: The Dreaded Painless Migraine.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/16/12 at 9:56 pm

I headache prone, from stress, hormones and even changes in weather but I've only had the painless kind a few times.  To me it was like I was seeing stars, bright flashes of light in front of my eyes.  Sometimes before I get a really bad headache I see a halo around things...I know a doozy it coming.

Written By: gibbo on 03/16/12 at 9:57 pm

I frequently suffer migraines, usually it is a dull pain on one side of my head or behind my eyes. Sometimes, rarely though,
I get the debilitating, extremely painfull, squeeze your head and pray for death migraines. The migraine I hate most of all
though is the dreaded painless migraine or what I call Kaleidoscope eyes.

I walk 3.5 miles every other day and in the middle of today's walk I was struck with an ocular migraine. Here I am 1.5 miles
from home and I get the zigzag visual distortion, the vertigo, the rubber legs and an all around surreal feeling. I'll take the
dull ache but I hate when my vision is screwy. It has since passed, they don't last long and since I've learned what they are
They aren't as scary but once the kaleidoscope eyes hit the dibilitating migraine isn't far behind.

Am I alone, or does anyone else know the feeling I speak of, any other painless migraine sufferers?

Sounds pretty horrible!  Especially, getting caught away from your home territory.

I get the pain centring behind my eye (usually my left eye). I usually start throwing up after a few hours of this...  This might happen a hand full of  times a year .... yes, death seems to be a better option at the time! The trouble is ... I don't know if it's a normal headache or the 'big one'. Pills can help ... but only if I take them early. Once, I get to the stage that I will be physically sick .... then the pills can't help. They'll just come right back up!

Written By: loki 13 on 03/16/12 at 10:15 pm

I headache prone, from stress, hormones and even changes in weather but I've only had the painless kind a few times.  To me it was like I was seeing stars, bright flashes of light in front of my eyes.  Sometimes before I get a really bad headache I see a halo around things...I know a doozy it coming.

A big headache this weekend huh? a little earlier this year. ;D

I sometimes get the halo effect but it is usually the zigzag lines, circles and spots that I deal with. Strobe lights are big trigger
for me, one of the reasons I don't do too many concerts anymore.

Sounds pretty horrible!  Especially, getting caught away from your home territory.

I get the pain centring behind my eye (usually my left eye). I usually start throwing up after a few hours of this...  This might happen a hand full of  times a year .... yes, death seems to be a better option at the time! The trouble is ... I don't know if it's a normal headache or the 'big one'. Pills can help ... but only if I take them early. Once, I get to the stage that I will be physically sick .... then the pills can't help. They'll just come right back up!

Yeah, I slogged my way home rubber legs and all. It must have be funny to watch with the constant stumbling people may have thought
I was three sheets to the wind.

I used to have a prescription for the headaches but you had to take them at the first sign of a migraine and they weren't really effective.
I take Excedrin Migraine now, for me it works the best.

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/16/12 at 11:45 pm

I have never gotten kaleidoscope affect, but I do get tunnel vision (I can see what is in front of my eyes but everything else seems dark and skewed.  I also can see but can't read or make pt things, but not sure why they are clearly there in front of me.  I remember working and trying to read a paper on white paper, and I could see it, knew there were words on it but the paper was tooo white.  It glowed and after staring at it, just deemed I could not read it (as I was 6 months pregnant at the time, I walked myself over to the dr. To get my blood pressure checked).  It was a painless headache, then hit with one terribly about an hour after that.  Weird things they are

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/17/12 at 5:19 pm

A big headache this weekend huh? a little earlier this year. ;D

I sometimes get the halo effect but it is usually the zigzag lines, circles and spots that I deal with. Strobe lights are big trigger
for me, one of the reasons I don't do too many concerts anymore.

Yeah, I slogged my way home rubber legs and all. It must have be funny to watch with the constant stumbling people may have thought
I was three sheets to the wind.

I used to have a prescription for the headaches but you had to take them at the first sign of a migraine and they weren't really effective.
I take Excedrin Migraine now, for me it works the best.

For sure, luckily for the race fans the weather is perfect. Unlike a couple of years ago we got snow.

I guess the economy has slowed ticket sales, there were still a lot available...cheap.

Do you suffer from sinus headaches also?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/17/12 at 5:21 pm

I suffer from really bad sinus headaches (like today I am having one).  >:( >:( >:(

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/17/12 at 5:32 pm

I suffer from really bad sinus headaches (like today I am having one).  >:( >:( >:(

Cat

Last one I had was a killer, so bad that for a few seconds I thougt about whether Megan could drive us home safely! I decided against it, though.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/17/12 at 5:55 pm

Last one I had was a killer, so bad that for a few seconds I thougt about whether Megan could drive us home safely! I decided against it, though.  ;D

Oh man. I feel your pain.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 03/17/12 at 6:26 pm

For sure, luckily for the race fans the weather is perfect. Unlike a couple of years ago we got snow.

I guess the economy has slowed ticket sales, there were still a lot available...cheap.

Do you suffer from sinus headaches also?

Off topic:
I have to keep that in mind. One thing I really want to do is to see a race at Bristol. I've been to Dover and liked it, I've
been to Pocono and hated it. Bristol will be my next live race, I just don't know when.

Back on topic:
Luckily no, sometimes I'll get sinus pressure but not the headaches. For some reason, as I've aged, I became susceptible
to ear and sinus infections. I don't know if it is a contributing factor in the migraines but I'm sure it doesn't help.

Cat

Cat, I hope you feel better soon, any headache really sucks.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/12 at 7:56 pm

Cat

hope you feel better.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 03/21/12 at 10:04 am

I have only had a couple of these, but haven't had one in years (THANK GOODNESS!!!). The last time I had one, with the sight issues, I also had dry heaves....no nausea, just the gagging, OMG, I'M GOING TO THROW UP!!! stomach-in-knots, throat-tightening, jaw-locking-open, esophagus-coming-up WORST feeling in my life for about 30 minutes.

I used to get migraines 2-3 times a month, but am now on preventive medicine for them and don't get them very often. They're different now, though....I either get REALLY debilitating ones that last for 24 hours or lingering ones that feel like my head is about to explode and last about 5-7 days and will only go away with a shot of demerol. The odd thing about the lingering ones, though, is that I can't get the shot early....it doesn't work until day 5-7??? I've had C-T scans, MRI's, and EEG's and they all come back "normal"??? All I can do is take Maxalt or Vicoprofen and Zofran or Phenergan for the nausea, which allows me to "function" through it, then I don't really know how, but I somehow "know" when to go into Urgent Care to get the shot and it "works"??? Nobody can figure them out...they originally thought it was an aneurysm or stroke, but everything inside my noggin is fine (structurally speaking ;D). The only thing they can come up with is that it has something to do with either my low-pressure glaucoma or my blood pressure (which is also low), but they're not 100% those are the causes because neither of those pressures change during them....I'm just a medical anomaly 8)

Written By: loki 13 on 03/23/12 at 4:41 pm

I am good for at least 1 a month but 2 or 3 is not out of the ordinary. I too had all the test done and nothing found.
Prescription medication never seemed to work for me, preventive or otherwise but I'm going to the doctor on Monday
because this is day 7. It has been in and out, painless and painful for the past 7 days and for me that is out of the ordinary.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/23/12 at 5:14 pm

I am good for at least 1 a month but 2 or 3 is not out of the ordinary. I too had all the test done and nothing found.
Prescription medication never seemed to work for me, preventive or otherwise but I'm going to the doctor on Monday
because this is day 7. It has been in and out, painless and painful for the past 7 days and for me that is out of the ordinary.

I hope you feel better soon and the doctor's visit goes well!

Written By: loki 13 on 03/24/12 at 9:46 am

I hope you feel better soon and the doctor's visit goes well!

Thanks Carol. Luckily, I can't believe I'm saying luckily when it comes to migraines but anyhow, luckily it isn't the debilitating
kind. Day 8 of annoying bouts of pain and visual problems though it does seem to be subsiding.

On a much lighter note, I was trying to use it as an excuse to not go to a dinner tonight. The Local Union's 25th & 50th Annivesary
Dinner is tonight. Since I have completed 25 years of service I have 2 tickets to attend. I never wanted to go but my wife, however,
jumped at the chance. I said the migraine will prevent me from going, her response, " $500 for a suit, $300 for a dress, $80 (on sale)
for shoes, I don't care if your arms fall off....We're going."

Guess who won the argument. 

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/24/12 at 10:08 am

Thanks Carol. Luckily, I can't believe I'm saying luckily when it comes to migraines but anyhow, luckily it isn't the debilitating
kind. Day 8 of annoying bouts of pain and visual problems though it does seem to be subsiding.

On a much lighter note, I was trying to use it as an excuse to not go to a dinner tonight. The Local Union's 25th & 50th Annivesary
Dinner is tonight. Since I have completed 25 years of service I have 2 tickets to attend. I never wanted to go but my wife, however,
jumped at the chance. I said the migraine will prevent me from going, her response, " $500 for a suit, $300 for a dress, $80 (on sale)

;D

Yeah, you could never win that one!  I hope you have a good time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/24/12 at 11:41 am

Like Carol said, you didn't stand a chance. But $300 for a dress??!!!  :o :o :o  I have some nice dresses in my closet but I have NEVER spent that much on one dress-not even my wedding dress-and I had it made for me. And $80 for a pair of shoes??!!  :o :o :o Unbelievable.

But I am glad that things are subsiding.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 03/24/12 at 1:56 pm

Like Carol said, you didn't stand a chance. But $300 for a dress??!!!  :o :o :o  I have some nice dresses in my closet but I have NEVER spent that much on one dress-not even my wedding dress-and I had it made for me. And $80 for a pair of shoes??!!  :o :o :o Unbelievable.

But I am glad that things are subsiding.

Cat

I think she deserves it, besides I owe her. Both my prom and our wedding she wore a borrowed ill-fitting dress. I told her to
splurge. I didn't know the actual cost of the dress, I gave her exact quote, so I aked her. The dress itself was a little over a buck
and half, the alterations were close to a hundred and a sweater cover up was about 30 which all toll came to just under $300.
The shoes are understandable, she was hit by a car when she was child and as a result her feet are two different sizes. she either
has to buy 2 pairs of shoes or have one shoe altered to fit, I never question her on shoes.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/24/12 at 3:24 pm

I think she deserves it, besides I owe her. Both my prom and our wedding she wore a borrowed ill-fitting dress. I told her to
splurge. I didn't know the actual cost of the dress, I gave her exact quote, so I aked her. The dress itself was a little over a buck
and half, the alterations were close to a hundred and a sweater cover up was about 30 which all toll came to just under $300.
The shoes are understandable, she was hit by a car when she was child and as a result her feet are two different sizes. she either
has to buy 2 pairs of shoes or have one shoe altered to fit, I never question her on shoes.

I owe you more karma!!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/24/12 at 5:36 pm

Apparently, having two different size feet is not uncommon. My Dad also has that.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 03/24/12 at 6:07 pm

Written By: danootaandme on 03/25/12 at 5:08 am

Karma.  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 03/25/12 at 8:19 am

Thanks to all for karma and kind words, she looked stunning and radiant and I could see it in her face that she
felt as beautiful as she looked. We had a great time,even though we both felt out of place.

The best part was that it was a pain free night and so far a pain free morning.  :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/25/12 at 8:37 am

Thanks to all for karma and kind words, she looked stunning and radiant and I could see it in her face that she
felt as beautiful as she looked. We had a great time,even though we both felt out of place.

The best part was that it was a pain free night and so far a pain free morning.  :)

Now, I owe you even more karma.  ;D.

Happy to hear you're feeling better, hopefully it continues.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/12 at 11:38 am

Did you take a pic of her?

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 03/25/12 at 11:58 am

Did you take a pic of her?

Cat

Neither one of us like our picture taken so no. There was a professional photographer as well as L.U. photographers taking
pictures and will be posted on a website in a few days. When the pictures are posted I will post the links.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/12 at 12:43 pm

glad you're feeling better.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/26/12 at 5:46 pm

glad you're feeling better.

Thanks Howard.

The doctor told me it was just a bad migraine, she told me that the Excedrin Migraine wasn't strong enough to break the
cycle that is why it lasted so long. She prescribed Maxalt, she said it would work better, we'll see.

Check for new replies or respond here...