inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cutting class. Anyone have any good stories to tell?

Written By: warped on 11/10/12 at 2:47 pm

Did you ever cut class before? How many times?  ;D 
Did you ever get caught or barely got away with it? Any stories to tell?

Here's one of mine:
During our final year of high school, my buddies and I (we were a group of 5 guys) decided to take an extended lunch. We went to the liquor store and purchased a couple of bottles. We then proceeded to walk over to the ravine and drank everything we could, the bottles were empty and we walked back to school, just in time to catch the last class of the day, Algebra.

The 5 of us laughed at pretty much everything during that class, at one point one of  my classmates  stood up and said “Teacher, why don’t you give us a test right now, I’m pretty sure I know (he called us by name ) would fail coz they are drunk!

Everyone laughed, I think even the teacher knew we had something to drink. None of us ever got in trouble though.  Fun times in high school.

Subject: Re: Cutting class. Anyone have any good stories to tell?

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/12 at 3:36 pm

1983... my friends and I were supposed to be involved in some campus activity... it was Senior ditch day and we were sophomores ...basically each class had planned activities to occupy the day while the seniors had fun ditching...

Well I didn't want to go to the lame planned activity... when we were freshman they made us sit in the gym all day and play badminton and air guitar and it was long assed boring day...so my friends and I decided to cut and go to the movies.

We were sophomores and didn't drive yet...and none of us were savvy enough to know how the public bus worked... I think it took us about 3 or 4 hours to go 5 miles....

funny all these years I thought the school was something like 10 - 15 miles away but I just google mapped it and it's only 5 miles.  funny how far things seem when you're a kid.  funny thing.... what I think took 4 hours probably only took 90 mins lol

anyway we wanted to see All the Right Moves because we heard you could see Tom C's um....ya know.... in a scene... but we weren't old enough to buy tix to see that movie.  We decided to buy tix to a pg flick and then snuck into All the Right Moves... but not one other person bought a ticket for it so it didn't screen.  ;D    we ended up sneaking into Risky Business and watched Tom C dance around in his underwear...not as exciting but still fun... then we had to figure out how to get back.. 

we were so busted when we got back...we should've known they'd take roll and notice we were missing....  ::)  I never skipped again...

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/12 at 3:37 pm

we were so busted when we got back...we should've known they'd take roll and notice we were missing....  ::)  I never skipped again...

tho I did actively choose not to go to a college class one day because I was playing this great new game Resident Evil on my new PS (One)  and it was such a great game I couldn't turn it off... I played for 32 hrs straight.

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/12 at 3:37 pm

tho I did actively choose not to go to a college class one day because I was playing this great new game Resident Evil on my new PS (One)  and it was such a great game I couldn't turn it off... I played for 32 hrs straight.

oh and I called in sick to work to finish one of the Harry Potter books!  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 11/10/12 at 3:46 pm

As strange as it may sound, of all the things I've done in my life, many of which were of questionable legality,
I've never cut class. In the 4 years of high school I was out a total of 5 days and that was for a family vacation.
There were opportunities to cut, I just never wanted to, not even for Senior day.

Written By: warped on 11/10/12 at 5:54 pm

When I was in college ( University ), one of my classes was a math class that was so boring, the teacher was so dull, he just read from the book. My buddy and I actually skipped about 1 months worth of classes, just didn't bother going  at all.

One day I bumped into one of my classmates and he said "Hey, haven't seen you in a while, did you drop the course?"  I said "nope". He then said "Are you ready for tomorrow?"  So I said "What happens tomorrow?".. he replied, "the mid term!!"  :-[

I said "Oh shyt", I called my friend and I had to pull an all-nighter to study. Lucky for me, if I hadn't bumped into that guy, never would have known there was a midterm and I'd get a big fat "0".

From then one, I attended half the lectures at least, just to make sure I knew when the date of the tests were.

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/12 at 6:44 pm

When I was in college ( University ), one of my classes was a math class that was so boring, the teacher was so dull, he just read from the book. My buddy and I actually skipped about 1 months worth of classes, just didn't bother going  at all.

One day I bumped into one of my classmates and he said "Hey, haven't seen you in a while, did you drop the course?"  I said "nope". He then said "Are you ready for tomorrow?"  So I said "What happens tomorrow?".. he replied, "the mid term!!"  :-[

I said "Oh shyt", I called my friend and I had to pull an all-nighter to study. Lucky for me, if I hadn't bumped into that guy, never would have known there was a midterm and I'd get a big fat "0".

From then one, I attended half the lectures at least, just to make sure I knew when the date of the tests were.

you did get lucky!!!

when I was a film studies major I was working as student security and also graveyard shift at the grocery store... I had an 8am silent film class... every time I went to class after working all night at one or the other job I would always fall asleep because it was silent film so the room was dark and the films had no sound other than the accompanying music...

the night before the final I had seen almost none of the films and done none of the readings....I rented the films I could get a hold of and tried to watch and read at the same time  ::)   

I ended up falling asleep during Joan of Arc and didn't wake up until 830... my final was at 8am. 

I woke up in a panic- threw on the first shirt I could find- which happened to be my security uniform shirt (we're not supposed to wear them when weren't on duty) but I put it on without thinking...

I got to the final about 900 there were two hours left... I was in a total panic but I put on my coolest attitude and strolled in like it was no big deal....

I picked up the test, the prof wasn't there only the TA, who gave me this look like WTF!  I sat down, opened my blue book and looked at the test...

shyt! shyt! shyt!

I knew the answers to question one and two... and could fake my way though a couple others...but most of it was short answer and then a long assed essay... went thru the whole test answered every thing I could and looked at the clock...it was barely 930. 

I was like well I could sit here in misery or I could leave knowing I just failed....

I closed my blue book, got up and turned in my exam...if people were confused by me coming in late you should've seen their faces when they realized I was the first one done...

The TA gave me with another WTF look and said "you're done?"  I said  no, looked at my shirt and said "...but my break is over, I could only be gone so long so I did what I could"  Bold faced lie..... he was like whatever! I think he rolled his eyes too...

A couple weeks later I was in the film studies dept (they loved me)  the prof was in her office and she saw me walk by... she called me in and asked me what happened with the final... I said I know I failed, I'm prepared to retake the class (it was a requirement for the film studies program)  she said it's not like you....  (I was an A student)  I said I know...and, since I was sort of locked into my original lie I stuck with it... I said I had a shift that morning (it was campus security btw all the prof's knew I was working two jobs)  and I couldn't get out of it... I said I used my break to take the final. I answered as fast as I could to get as much done as possible in hopes of getting a passing score... she said I know when I read it it just didn't sound like your usual work...  then she thought about it for a minute and said you know what- you usually do good work and I can understand your dilemma. I admire your commitment. I can't give you an A for the class but given your previous work I think I will just give you a C. is that okay?  Um... YES!  And Thank you!!!!

:D 

best con job ever!!!! 

Written By: loki 13 on 11/10/12 at 6:50 pm

"What is this fascination with truancy? What is it that gets inside of your heads? There are some teachers at this school who look the other way at truants. It's a little game you both play. They pretend they don't see you, and you pretend you don't ditch! Now, in the end, who pays the price? YOU!"

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/12 at 7:03 pm

"What is this fascination with truancy? What is it that gets inside of your heads? There are some teachers at this school who look the other way at truants. It's a little game you both play. They pretend they don't see you, and you pretend you don't ditch! Now, in the end, who pays the price? YOU!"

Is that the lost verse of an Oompa Loompa song???  :D

Written By: loki 13 on 11/10/12 at 7:47 pm

Is that the lost verse of an Oompa Loompa song???  :D

Mr. Hand in Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 8:24 am

Mr. Hand in Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

Oh yeah. I forgot that speech. Great movie.

It'd work (with some tweaking) as an Oompa Loompa song too tho!!!

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/11/12 at 11:20 am

During my junior year in HS I was dating a girl from another school.  Our spring vacations were different weeks.  On one of her days off she was baby sitting, so I cut the whole day and spent it with her.  Never got caught.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/11/12 at 12:13 pm

I never took a 9th grade Science class so in 10th grade, I HAD to take one. So, here I was in a class with a bunch of people who flunked 9th grade Science so the class was super easy for me. I wrote notes to my friends, did homework for other classes, etc. and basically bored out of my wits. And STILL passed with flying colors. One day, I asked the teacher if he had anything a little bit more challenging for me. He knew that it was pretty much a waste for me to be in this class. I'm sure he even know that I did homework for other classes-but I wasn't disrupted and still passed so he didn't say anything. This teacher ALWAYS stood at the door as the kids were entering the class.

One day, as I was entering the classroom-and passed him, he stopped me and said, "Do you remember when you asked me if I had something a little more challenging for you?" Well, of course I did. He then sent me down to the reading room. The rule was that I had to go check in with the Science teacher first before going down-just in case there was something going on in class that I couldn't miss. The reading class was another remedial class but basically what I did there (which had nothing to do with what was going on in the class) was to read SRAs-if anyone remembers those. They were little booklets, you read it and then answered the questions at the end. It was basically a reading comprehension exercise. I was just to read the Science related one. I realized that this was reading and not Science and again, I wasn't really LEARNING anything.

One day, as I was on my way to class and I ran into a friend of mine. She asked me, "Do you want to skip this period?" I said, "Sure, but just a minute." Then I said, "Watch this." We turned the corner and there was the Science teacher standing in front of the door as he always did. He waved to me. I waved to him and then I proceeded to leave the school with my friend who's jaw was wide open!  ;D ;D ;D She didn't know what happened there. It was simple, the Science teacher thought I was in the reading room and the Reading teacher thought I was in the Science room and in the meantime, I was out of school with my friend.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/12 at 12:18 pm

One day, as I was on my way to class and I ran into a friend of mine. She asked me, "Do you want to skip this period?" I said, "Sure, but just a minute." Then I said, "Watch this." We turned the corner and there was the Science teacher standing in front of the door as he always did. He waved to me. I waved to him and then I proceeded to leave the school with my friend who's jaw was wide open!  ;D ;D ;D She didn't know what happened there. It was simple, the Science teacher thought I was in the reading room and the Reading teacher thought I was in the Science room and in the meantime, I was out of school with my friend.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

that's a nice twist on the you tell your parents I'm spending the night with so&so and so&so tells their parents they are spending the night with you!  ;D

Written By: warped on 11/11/12 at 12:23 pm

best con job ever!!!!

It worked because you were doing well in the course. Quick thinking!.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/11/12 at 12:24 pm

that's a nice twist on the you tell your parents I'm spending the night with so&so and so&so tells their parents they are spending the night with you!  ;D

Yup-but the kicker is, the teacher set it up for me. What can I say, my horns were always there to hold up my halo.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/12/12 at 8:45 pm

I had a teacher cut class once.

A local news event had pretty much everyone in a state of emotional shock, and he started the lecture by saying that because nobody in class was going to be paying attention, and since he himself was too distracted by it to concentrate on teaching that day, why don't we all just take the next hour off and talk about what was actually important. It was an otherwise beautiful day outside, so we all - students and teacher alike - went for a little walk while we talked things over amongst ourselves.

Best teacher ever.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/12/12 at 9:18 pm

I wasnt a serial skipper. I mean I skipped a few times to see MJ on TV or be the first to pick up his CD, but I remember one non-MJ event that should have gotten my ass expelled.

It was in 2003, I beleive. And I'm from a little rinky-dink town in Texas, so when word spread that boyband B2K was coming to town for a concert and was actually supposed to VISIT our school that particular Friday night, my friend Stacie and I hatched a plan. Fridays at my high school only lasted half a day cause alot of the kids worked. I don't really know who came up with the idea to skip class and spend the day in the athletic complex--where the appearance by the band was to be--trying to see if we could meet them or something. See them at least since neither of us could afford a ticket to go to the show.
There was a big gymnasium in there, and across from it was the bathroom, where as soon as the start of class bell rang, we ran off into the bathrooms and hid.
What had seemed like a good idea turned into torture. Can you beleive we spent four hours in the crapper?  Every so often we'd go out and peek to see if a prinicpal was coming because if we were caught, expelled we were gonna be. When someone would wnander in, we'd hide and stand on toilets and hold our breath. When they left we sat in the handicapped stall talking.
After about two hours, we started hearing noise in the gym. We freaked, thinking it was band, and quickly tiptoed across the hall. It was the boys basketball team practicing.
Defeated, we went back to the handicapped stall and sat waiting. After hour three, Stacie grew bored and said she was gonna do somethign crazy. I had no idea what till we stood looking in at the players.
She says, let's flash the team. I'm like have you gone stone cold loco? And I refused. She did flash the team, but not really, she just showed her (hot pink) bra and went runnign while the ENTIRE tam came runnign asking who she was. I shrugged and said I don't know before going back and cursing her out.
in the end, B2K cancelled thier appearance at the last minute and never came.
And that's how me and my best friend--who is STILL my best friend to this day--spent four hours in a bathroom on campus.

http://ionetheurbandaily.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/b2k11.jpg
That's who we skipped for. I liked J-boog (far left) , Stacie LOVED Lil Fizz (far right) We skipped class for THAT. Lord. Embarassing.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/12/12 at 10:36 pm

Junior year high school, last day and you could technically get out of school, from lunch to normal end of school day, if you had a note from your mother saying they gave permission.  I actually had one, but had forgotten to turn in the note in the morning, so in the afternoon, I turned it in at lunch and they all thought I forged it.  I can't even skip school properly.  ;D

So, my boyfriend, and two of his friends and I get out of school.  My boyfriend drives his one friend home (I'm sure we all did something fun, although I can't remember what that would be now.  :-\\ )  We then pull into this convenience store parking lot, my boyfriend's friend was leaning up against the car, right in front of my car door, I open the door while sitting inside the car, not knowing that his friend was exactly in the wrong position, to have his butt cheek get pinched in the crack of the door and fender.  He's howling and cursing and I'm thinking he is just making noise to be exhuburant, and finally my boyfriend rescues his friend.  Of course I still feel bad about it 25 years later.  ;D  I don't know that this was necessarily a good story, but it was a story.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/12 at 10:37 pm

I never cut class because there was no place cool to go on campus where you could be away from prying eyes.  Cutting class meant fifty tense minutes of not getting caught.  Now, skipping school altogether, I did that quite a bit.  I was a serial truant.
:o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/13/12 at 11:00 am

One time when I was skipping with a friend (the same one from my first post-yeah, we skipped a lot), we were coming back in and as we opened the door, there was the principal.  :o :o :o  Oh man, we were DEAD!!! He asked us the usual questions, where were we, where were we supposed to be, etc. Then he said to meet him in his office after school. I didn't. I just went right home. My friend told me that she did go to his office after school but he wasn't there!  :o :o :o  He never said a word to me about it after that. Yeah, I got away with it-and still had my record of never having to serve detention.  ;D ;D ;D

Oh, one more time, the infamous 10th grade study hall. This was where another friend of mine was trying to hook me up with my high school sweetheart, who was also in the class. It finally worked-but that is another story. Anyway, my friend & I were in the class first. We sat down and she looked at me and said, "Do you want to stay?" I said, "No." She said, "Come on, let's go." We waved to the teacher on the way out. I guess the teacher thought we were going to the library or something. We were walking down the hall and saw my sweetheart. She grabbed one of his arms and I grabbed the other. He was outmaneuvered and gave up very quickly and joined us. My locker was the closest so we went there and dumped all our books in it and then left the school.

There was an old hospital in the town that was basically abandoned. We went in the back and sat down on the grass just talking. Then all of a sudden I saw a horse run by.  :o :o :o  I told the both of them what I saw. They looked at me as if I had two heads. My friend was about ready to give me her glasses and my sweetheart was about to jump on my friend because he thought she slipped me some of her drink (she was notorious for drinking soda with something in it.) I told them, "No, seriously, I saw a horse." I got up to go towards where I saw it. They followed me. Sure enough, it was a wild horse that came down from the mountain. Followed by the cops trying to catch it. My friend said, "Let's get out of here!" My sweetheart said, "No, just play it cool. They are too busy worrying about the horse to worry about three kids skipping school." My sweetheart went up to one of the cops and said, "Hi Unc." Yup, it was his uncle. My friend tried to get to the horse. She squatted down, and took the grass and held it out to the horse who started coming toward her. But then she stood up and the horse took off. We had to get back to school so we never did see if they caught the horse or not.

Years later, I used to talk to my former sweetheart on the phone a lot and it never failed that the horse always came up in the conversation.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: warped on 11/13/12 at 11:07 am

I just adore all these stories, keep 'em coming.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/13/12 at 4:19 pm

I didn't skip all too often-I was a chicken for the most part--but I have heard some wang-dang-doodles from my friends.
This one sticks out to me:

I must have been a sophomore when this happened. Where my high school is, there's not much around. A barbecue shack and a pharmacy. That's literally IT. To do anything you have to go back across town and like to the mall or the movies. This is what tickled the sheesh out of me. My friend Keith, who was on the JV football team, went and skipped with about five of the varsity players to the mall. Now keep in mind, about 20 miles seperates school and the mall.
Keith says he and the other players are goofing around and decide to go to the food court for a snack. Of all the places to be effing caught skipping, they get caught IN the food court. Apparently for some reason or other, the coach was in the mall--no one tipped him off--and they just ran into each other.
And he hauled all thier butts back to school and they ALL got suspended. LOL. I just wish I coulda seen thier faces. I mean talk about the wrong place at the wrong time!

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/13/12 at 4:31 pm

I rarely ever cut class in college...I'm too paranoid there will be a pop quiz or something important that I'll miss.

Never cut class in high school. They took that way seriously there. Though there were a handful of times I convinced my mom to let me stay home when I wasn't even sick or anything.

When I was a sophomore in high school, I broke my femur and missed an entire month of school :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/13/12 at 4:44 pm

I must admit that I did cut ONE class in college. I had two classes on Tuesdays & Thursdays. On a Tuesday, the teacher of the first class told us that there wouldn't be class on Thursday because he had something he had to do (can't remember what it was), so that meant that I had only one class that day. I really didn't feel like going in for only one class. I figured that I could get away with it since we were having a test that Tuesday and I figured on Thursday we would just be going over the test so I wasn't going to miss anything. When I was done with the test, I handed it in and told the teacher that I wasn't going to be in on Thursday because I had to be in court.  :D ;D ;D ;D

The only other time I missed ANY classes in college was due to weather.  :-\\ And I always called.

Cat

Written By: warped on 11/13/12 at 6:36 pm

In 1979 we skipped the Friday afternoon before May 24 long weekend (Victoria Day holiday) to go to my buddy's cottage. One of my friends had a little Subaru that was leaking oil and we weren't even sure we could make it to the cottage, but we did. 

When we got back to school on Tuesday, our homeroom teacher did talk to us and told us not to do it again, he'd heard of what we did. He actually smiled at us and asked us if we had a good time. I think he understood...still had the rebellious teenager inside of him.

We didn’t get in any trouble (lucky). On the other hand, if my parents ever found out, I’d still be grounded today.

I didn't skip a whole lot in high school, but I figured with the decent grades I was getting, it was no big deal.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/12 at 6:55 pm

Cutting classes in college is different 'cos they can't make you go.  Most profs required attendance on the syllabus for CYA, but only a few buttheads actually busted students for absence. 

One time in HS I was just coming home from Cambridge as school was letting out.  My homeroom teacher pulled up next to me on Main Street.
"Hi Max, want a lift?"
"Uh, No thanks, Mrs. Sharkey."

She was cool though, she didn't turn me in. 
That's what our Officer Conway was for.
::)

Written By: warped on 11/13/12 at 6:59 pm

Cutting classes in college is different 'cos they can't make you go.

Very true. That's why (in an earlier post on this thread) I talked about skipping a month of classes. I think I attended about 25% of the classes in 1 course, because it wasn't worth it. When the Professor just reads from the texbook and doesn't teach outside of it (in a Math class). Why go?

The "thrill" comes from cutting class in high school and getting away with it. You really don't get the same thrill of getting away with it in college.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/12 at 11:27 pm

I liked the kind of professors who didn't care if you came to class.  If you handed in all the assignments and passed all the exams, they'd give you an "A" even if you hardly showed up.  The reason is not because I liked to skip their classes, but they tended to be the profs who actually made class worth going to.  They didn't want to waste their time on students who didn't want to be there.  Their lectures were designed for the enthusiastic participant. 
:)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/15/12 at 12:53 am

I just remembered one time I cut class. It was the first time I cut class and I was 9years old and in the 4th grade. It was on May because I had just turned 9 and I got 10 dollars in a card from my aunt (remember this)

I skipped school for absolutely no reason. There were no little boys to sneak away with or anything. One day I simply told my mom that that particular day there was no school. And my mom beleived me and went on to work. I spent the day watching cartoons and eating Debbie cakes. My mother came home and kicked my ass.
One thing I never took into account was the school buses. Mom said she say school buses coming and going all day while at work and before long had caught on to my lies.
After the ass kicking she took my ten dollars from me AND forbade me to go to the state fair which came into town the following week. LOL.
I was so mad. It was the ONLY year I ever missed going to the fair!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/12 at 11:22 am

Another story:

My days as a truant juvenile delinquent started when I was in either 4th or 5th grade. One of my sisters would come up to me in the morning and say, "'Cat', you are not feeling well." And I would say, "No, I'm not-cough, cough." The idea was that I wasn't feeling well and had to stay home, she had to stay home to take care of me since our mother was working. I don't know how many times that happened.

One time I wanted to stay home but she couldn't. She told me that if I wanted to stay home, I would have to be home alone. I figured I could handle that. So, I did. I remember listening to music in the living room but I had the volume down WAY low because I didn't want anyone to know that I was home. Then, there was a knock at the door. I was so scared. Here I was home alone when I was supposed to be at school. My first thought was the truant officer (if there was indeed such a person.) I didn't know if they could hear the stereo or not. The person at the door went away since I didn't answer it. I turned off the stereo and ran upstairs and hid in my room until everyone came home after school. Never did find out who was at the door and I don't think I ever got in trouble.

Cat

Written By: warped on 11/15/12 at 1:05 pm

In the 11th grade, I went out for a walk with a girl from school just after lunch, we walked over to the woods close by, maybe a 10 minute walk from school, and we had a nice chat. We enjoyed the chat so much that we decided to skip the next class (Physics) and continue our talk.
We returned to school just before Biology class, which was the next class after Physics.

The problem was, we had assigned seats in each class and the girl I went for a walk with (Louise) and I sat beside each other in Physics class. We were both absent from physics and it was fairly obvious . 2 empty spots in class right beside each other.  ;D

When we both returned for Biology class, rumours went around that she & I did...erm..you know  ;D...  I was told during Physics class one of the boys said "Where are warped & Louise? Oh oh..I hope they took pictures for us..."
Hard to convince a bunch of 16 year-olds we didn't do anything. 
Again, neither of us got in trouble with the school for that.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/15/12 at 4:56 pm

I never skipped school in middle school because that was a prticularly dark time for me, but I do remember the event in elementary school that stopped me from skipping for YEARS.
In grades 3-5, I went a school what was maybe, 6 blocks from my house--even though my parents did drive me back and forth. And after school because Mother wanted me to be well-rounded (because a 100 pound 9 year old just didn't seem literally ROUND enough) she had me taking extracurricular activities. I stayed an extra hour for a calligraphy class and study period, both a half hour each. I wasn't fond of calligrapghy because the little boy next to me kept drawing breasts on his slate and showing them to me.  >:(
So one day, I decided, okay, I'm going to leave campus and walk home. (this was in 1995 before fenced in schools and cops patrolling and all)
Now before I had come home and dad had been home and let me in.
This day I wasn't so lucky. I got home, and Daddy's damn car was gone. Mom was still at work. And I had no way to get in the house. That also meant, that at 5:30 pm. Daddy was gonna pull up outside of school expecting me to come trotting out.  :o
So, I literally had to turn back around and go back to school. Along the way, a dog chased me 3 blocks and then I was STUPID ENOUGH to get in a car with a STRANGER. Thankfully they dropepd me back at school and I wasn't found in a ditch somewhere.

It really messed me up so badly, that I didn't skip again until my freshman year in high school.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/12 at 11:57 pm

I just remembered one time I cut class. It was the first time I cut class and I was 9years old and in the 4th grade. It was on May because I had just turned 9 and I got 10 dollars in a card from my aunt (remember this)

I skipped school for absolutely no reason. There were no little boys to sneak away with or anything. One day I simply told my mom that that particular day there was no school. And my mom beleived me and went on to work. I spent the day watching cartoons and eating Debbie cakes. My mother came home and kicked my ass.
One thing I never took into account was the school buses. Mom said she say school buses coming and going all day while at work and before long had caught on to my lies.
After the ass kicking she took my ten dollars from me AND forbade me to go to the state fair which came into town the following week. LOL.
I was so mad. It was the ONLY year I ever missed going to the fair!

LOL! I would have told her there was no state fair!
I used to fake a non-specific illness and the lounge in front of the TV and raid the kitchen.  After the cartoons were over, they had the really crappy sit-coms -- McHale's Navy, Gomer Pyle, and of course, Get Smart!
;D ;D ;D

The popular rich kids in high school who all got new cars when for their sweet sixteens used to try to sneak out to the beach on warm spring days.  Officer Conway would park his cruiser just of view on near the parking lot exit.  The dumb rich kids who did such a good job of stealing out of the building got busted all the same.  I was like, I've got four years' jump on this business, you morons, if you're gonna skip, don't show up at all!

"Maaax!, jeez, what are you tryin' to do, bust my balls here?"
-- Officer Conway

There was one time I did skip class 'cos I had a fight with my bitch gf and I wanted to go sulk.  So I sneaked into this stairwell in the corner of the building which hardly anybody used.  I sat down on the landing and took to sulking.  "TEN-HUT! We're going down to the office!"  It was Mr. Humphries, the biology teacher.  He must have come in late that day.  He busted me good.  I knew some burnouts were smoking a joint out behind the overpass ramp and it would be a pleasure to squeal on those azzholes, but me keeping my mouth shut deprived Mr. Humphries of a bigger score, so that gave me some self-satisfaction (which I had to get used to 'cos my bitch gf wasn't gonna gimme none).
8)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/19/12 at 3:24 pm

I did skip school 2 or 3 times for MJ. And I remember the first time I did it.
I was in...10th grade I beleive, and at the time Michael's Invincible album came out--still grossly underrated if you ask me--and all the music junkets were getting into the act playing  his shows and videos and stuff. Now I remember in my computer programming class, I would always sneak online and cruise the MJ fansites when my teacher wasn't looking. Now this was the first period of the day. I go on to some site and it mentions that that very afternoon, at 2 p.m., MTV was going to air Michael Jackson Live from Bucharest Romania (which had origianlly aire in 1992 on HBO) I had never seen the concert, and at that moment, literally nothing else in life mattered, I had to see that show. Problem was, concert started at 2.pm. School didn't let out until 3:50 p.m. So I had a choice stay home and miss what is now one of my favorite performances or figure a way to get my butt home.
Right there, in class, I fell "ill", telling my teacher some cockamamie story that I was dizzy with spots before my eyes. (Yeah, moonwalking spots) And I got a pass to the nurse.
My father picked me up and as soon as I got home, I was preparing. Wiring the VCR to tape the show, laying out pop corn and debbie cakes to eat. Making a real production of it all.
Eventually the show came on, and both my mom and dad thought i was down sleeping until Michael started Billie Jean, and I literally jumped up hollering "He's doing Billie Jean! He's doing Billie Jean!" and my folks came in, saw Michael dancing and said "Tiffeny, you don't look very sick right now"  ::)
But I didn't get in trouble. I guess I looked so happy they let it go! LOL! It ddn't always work, but it worked that day.

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/19/12 at 5:28 pm

I never skipped school...  not once, not senior skip day, not anything.  The only time I "skipped" school is when my mom called me in, because we were going on a drive a distance away.  Yep, you can say I am uptight... 

Written By: nally on 11/24/12 at 12:51 pm

I never skipped school...  not once, not senior skip day, not anything.

The same with me. I never missed school unless I was so sick I couldn't come. That happened to me lots of times during my elementary and middle school years (including missing one week because of chicken pox). I liked to be really good about my attendance.

However....

I only had one non-absence from school. This was during my freshman year of high school. A "Youth Day" religious event was being held in Anaheim on February 16, 1995, and my dad knew some of the people who were in charge of it. As a result, I had an opportunity to be admitted free. So I went; my dad accompanied me down there and I had a good time. (However, the previous day, I informed my teachers I was going to miss "the next day" and asked if there'd be any assignments I would miss.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/12 at 1:42 pm

Even though I skipped classes a lot, in my junior year I missed getting perfect attendance by one day!!!  :o :o :o  The only reason why I missed that one day was because my great-uncle died and that was the day of the funeral.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  But, I still make it to school in the afternoon so I could get my perfect attendance but they had already marked me absent.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

In my yearbook that year, the principal signed it saying something like, "Perfect attendance next year." But, I moved and went to a different school the next year.  :-\\  I don't recall if I got perfect attendance in my senior year. Maybe I did. 

Cat

Written By: warped on 11/24/12 at 2:08 pm

I skipped school, I'd say about a dozen times in high school. I didn't skip the whole day those times, mostly I skipped class coz I was too damn bored or just didn't feel like going to a particular class.
Two times I mentioned before was coz I had a nice discussion with a girl I liked, another time buddies and I went to a ravine a drank as much alcohol as possible in a hour. :D.    another time was to line up for concert tickets, other times just to hang out with other friends listening to music, or just to sit by myself somewhere and not be bugged.

I honestly think I never got punished because I had good grades... :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/12 at 9:36 pm

another time buddies and I went to a ravine a drank as much alcohol as possible in a hour. :D. 

I remember the ravine, but wasn't drinking there.  I was drinking with my fat stupid friend Steve in the McDonald's parking lot.  Then I headed for home.  Then I remember being face down in the ravine.  Then I remember throwing up like it was Christmas.  Then I remember heading home again.
:D

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/24/12 at 11:45 pm

throwing up like it was Christmas.

I've been hearing about panels, screens, etc. of warning lights being lit up like Christmas trees for 30 years.  Karma for creating a new similie for disasters in progress ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/25/12 at 12:09 am

I've been hearing about panels, screens, etc. of warning lights being lit up like Christmas trees for 30 years.  Karma for creating a new similie for disasters in progress ;)

Thanks, but I can't take cred -- I lifted it from Marc Almond:

And you were never one for holding drink
And you stagger off to the toilet
And you throw up like it was Christmas
And you miss the bowl and you hit your shoes
And there's no paper towels...

-- Soft Cell
"It's a Mug's Game"
http://images.zaazu.com/img/Sick-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000662-facebook.gif

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/27/12 at 5:45 pm

I never ditched class, but my high school had a "closed campus" policy, meaning that we weren't allowed to leave school grounds during lunch break. And even though there really wasn't any place good to go for lunch in my small town, occasionally some friends and I would sneak off and go down to the local CO-OP gas station (like a Casey's or 7-11) and grab some chips and soda just to break the monotony and maybe throw up our middle finger at the Man.

The Man being our principal, Jack (last name omitted), who, in his zeal to enforce the closed campus policy would don a wool flat cap, trench coat, and binoculars, and then during lunch hour he'd go to the cemetery across the street from the high school and hide behind the gravestones trying to catch kids sneaking off school property.

He was a weirdo.  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/12 at 7:31 pm

Some good ones here.  Kind of reminds me of that scene in 'Real Genius' where all the students are cutting class by leaving tape recorders, to the point where the teacher cuts and leaves a tape recording of him giving a lecture ;D

The cut story to end all cut stories .. well an attempt at not just cutting class, but cutting the rest of the day ...

It was some time in February.  There was a school assembly to end the day.  I didn't want to go because it was all about school spirit, and I just didn't give a crap about that, so me and my buddy snuck out of the back of the school "Mission: Impossible" style, we dove down hall ways, snuck past teachers, grabbed the wall to snake around corners.  But just as we reach the back door, we get spotted.  The teacher yells "Hey!" so we bolt like lightning.  We make it out the door and are home free.  Well, atleast he did.  As I ran out the door, I slipped on a patch of ice, and the next thing I know, I wake up in the principal's office.

I don't even remember what my punishment was

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/27/12 at 10:12 pm

Some good ones here.  Kind of reminds me of that scene in 'Real Genius' where all the students are cutting class by leaving tape recorders, to the point where the teacher cuts and leaves a tape recording of him giving a lecture ;D

The cut story to end all cut stories .. well an attempt at not just cutting class, but cutting the rest of the day ...

It was some time in February.  There was a school assembly to end the day.  I didn't want to go because it was all about school spirit, and I just didn't give a crap about that, so me and my buddy snuck out of the back of the school "Mission: Impossible" style, we dove down hall ways, snuck past teachers, grabbed the wall to snake around corners.  But just as we reach the back door, we get spotted.  The teacher yells "Hey!" so we bolt like lightning.  We make it out the door and are home free.  Well, atleast he did.  As I ran out the door, I slipped on a patch of ice, and the next thing I know, I wake up in the principal's office.

I don't even remember what my punishment was
lol!  Too funny!  As a high school teacher with a pep assembly coming up Friday, I can appreciate this!

Written By: warped on 11/28/12 at 11:44 am

I enjoy all these "skipping class" stories.

In college, not only did we skip class, but my math buddies (yes, that reads "math" buddies, not "meth" buddies) and I, who were foolish and near the top of the class in grades, used to have bets with each other during exams.

1- The last of the 4 of us to finish the exam and leave the classroom before time expired...had to buy the first round of drinks at the pub. (So foolishly, no one wanted to finish last...so sometimes some marks were sacrificed and we left the exam early)  :D

2- We had a bet as to how late we could show up for an exam, and see how well we could do anyway (so lets say the exam began at 2pm...At 2:05 we were still in the pub. 2:10...still in the pub...you get the picture..) The first one to leave the pub and go to class to start the exam, even if you were 20 minutes late into it...has to buy the first 3 rounds in the pub afterwards...ah we were foolish kids. ;D

Written By: meesa on 11/28/12 at 12:39 pm

I was a serial truant as well. Skipped a LOT in high school, but it didn't affect my grades.

Because I had moved so many times and therefore did not have a lot of friends, I had gotten into the habit of working ahead of where my current classes were if the teacher would give a syllabus (some did, some didn't) because I had the time on my hands, coupled with moving so much and many of the courses in high school I had already taken at the previous high school. Amazing how similar they all were, so either I would already know the answers to the questions on homework, or I would just recycle old essays/course work by copying to the new one. Example: American History essay about George Washington from high school A, recycle to essay on G Wash for high school B the following year.

Skipping was a way to break up the monotony. And actually kept me out of trouble more often than not because I tended to argue with teachers if they were stating information as 'fact' that was not necessarily so. Or antagonize them by bringing up taboo'd parts of subjects that they were teaching. Poor teachers, I know I was distracting and making their jobs harder. Lots of detention for Meesa. But ironically, no detention for skipping. The teachers were probably happy on the days I didn't show.

Written By: tv on 01/16/13 at 6:44 pm

I cut class like a few times: once in high school and twice in college:

The one time I cut the whole day in High School because of Senior Cut Day. My parents didn't punish me or anything.

Twice In College: The one time I just made up the work I missed at the college library.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/17/13 at 9:02 pm

I did cut class a few times in High school :-[. However, I really don't have any great stories to tell. I only spent those days to myself, going for walks(I know, skipping class just to go walking...nonsensical lol ;D) or I went to places.

Check for new replies or respond here...