inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Other Interests?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/24/12 at 10:47 pm

Hey Y'all

I'm hoping one of you guys can help me. Recently, I've been noticing my friends keep commenting I appear to be overly preoccupied with Michael Jackson and keep asking me if I have any other interests really, besides him. And I have been giving it serious and careful thought and I have realized that aside from old films and "Downton Abbey" I really don't have an interest in anything else. Like I don't have any activities that I can think of that aren't tied to him. I write MJ themed stories for the fanclubs, run my two blogs for the fans. I never really noticed how it all kind of revolved around him until now.

And I really do want to cultivate other interests and activities to show my friends that there really is more to me than this MJ thing. But I don't know what to do or look into or participate in or even try.
Please help me. I need suggestions. This is litereally like starting my life over from scratch. I just hope i still feel like Tiffeny.

Subject: Re: Other Interests?

Written By: wildcard on 11/24/12 at 11:12 pm

Can't help  I'm a gardener and that's it.  Same boat pretty much, how do I get interested in something else?

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/24/12 at 11:35 pm

old films

That's a lifelong hobby right there.  Find a local independent cinema that runs old flicks, hang out there once a week, do what comes naturally.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/12 at 2:31 pm

Tiffeny,

With all due respect, people can't tell you what hobbies or other interests to follow you have to figure that one out on your own.

Look at your talents - you write - take a creative writing class at the adult Ed school - I know with your treatments you don't think you can handle a regular class schedule at the jr college but adult Ed classes typically meet once a week.

In fact- pick up the adult Ed catalog and look and see what's in there you might enjoy

Go to the library and find some local clubs. You like sewing right? Find a crafts club or go back and help with little kids pageants like you used to do.

If you go to church or know one maybe they have a few clubs you could join

Volunteer somewhere.

Whatever you choose I wish you luck

Written By: valleyroads on 01/21/13 at 4:36 am

I don't know you, but I would suggest finding a class at a community center that you might like and learn from there.
I picked up my basic digital photography skills that way, you could easily learn a craft, hobby, sport, or even a foreign language, that way.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/03/13 at 7:13 pm

Sadly, this is something you are going to have to investigate yourself. What I may suggest is keep an open-mind about everything and look in a local paper/magazine with a local events listing and simply see what takes your fancy or just give something a go and see where the wind takes you. You will not know what you like/dislike until you try it out.

You only get one shot at life, use it. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...