inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were you a bad kid or teenager?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/05/13 at 4:05 am

For any of you 20 or older, were you a naughty youngster?

http://www.ci.bellevue.wa.us/images/PCD/Teen_and_Parent.jpg

Subject: Re: Were you a bad kid or teenager?

Written By: warped on 03/05/13 at 6:07 am

I would consider myself neither a bad kid nor a bad teenager, although in high school I hung around what most people considered the naughtiest kids in school.

Often when a child grows up in a very dysfunctional household, the first thing they wanna do it get the hell out of there and hang around anyone available. Not me.

Although I’ve had an odd sense of humour for as long as I can remember, I was very much a loner; I stayed in my room, read books and listened to music. I participated in several sports (Hockey, baseball, soccer, tennis, swimming.)
I went to way too many parties in the 80s, have too many weird stories to tell  ;D, but none of them really involved me.

Written By: Bobby on 03/05/13 at 6:13 am

I don't think I was a bad kid or teenager but I was involved in some stuff that kids/teenagers shouldn't have to go through and that could have affected my behaviour/mentality in some ways.

As for being morally bad no I don't think so, I mainly walked the line. If I was the person I am now I would have been worse.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/05/13 at 7:24 am

I was a typical teenager.  Did my share of stuff that I probably shouldn't have.  I never got caught, though.  My sister was a royal pain and my parents focused on her a lot allowing me to slip under the radar. :D

Written By: Howard on 03/05/13 at 7:36 am

I was neither, I always got the crap beat out of me because Me And My Brother were always wimps, I never wanted to get into fights and such but you had all these bullies that wanted to beat the living hell out of you cause you were weak and small but I wasn't like the others, my mother thought I was a good kid.

Once in a while I did have my share of stealing and getting caught in the early to mid 1980's.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/05/13 at 8:17 am

My horns were the only thing holding my halo up. I wasn't a BAD kid per say-but I managed to skirt around a lot of rules-without getting caught. And if I did get caught, I managed to get out of the punishment. I never served a day of detention even though I have skipped school/classes, got caught smoking (a few times actually), and I talked a lot. I wasn't destructive or anything like that. That is probably why people let it slide when I was caught doing something.

My parents never knew half of what I did. I had to be home at a certain time and as long as I was home by that time, they didn't pester me as to what I was doing-or with whom. (Oh, if they only knew.  ;) ) They did ground me for two weeks once for being 2 minutes late.  ::) I couldn't believe that-I thought that was so unfair. I don't think I would have done half the things I did if my parents gave me a little more freedom. It was my way of rebelling. It like a horse-if you hold the reigns too tight, the horse is going to fight you, but if you let the reigns out a bit, they won't fight. My parents held my reigns too tight-which is why I left home at 19.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/13 at 10:40 am

In my teens I responded to an abusive environment in order to protect myself.  For that, my family and my school said I was bad.
::)

Written By: 80sfan on 03/05/13 at 11:32 am

My horns were the only thing holding my halo up. I wasn't a BAD kid per say-but I managed to skirt around a lot of rules-without getting caught. And if I did get caught, I managed to get out of the punishment. I never served a day of detention even though I have skipped school/classes, got caught smoking (a few times actually), and I talked a lot. I wasn't destructive or anything like that. That is probably why people let it slide when I was caught doing something.

My parents never knew half of what I did. I had to be home at a certain time and as long as I was home by that time, they didn't pester me as to what I was doing-or with whom. (Oh, if they only knew.  ;) ) They did ground me for two weeks once for being 2 minutes late.  ::) I couldn't believe that-I thought that was so unfair. I don't think I would have done half the things I did if my parents gave me a little more freedom. It was my way of rebelling. It like a horse-if you hold the reigns too tight, the horse is going to fight you, but if you let the reigns out a bit, they won't fight. My parents held my reigns too tight-which is why I left home at 19.

Cat

I never heard that one before. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/05/13 at 11:33 am

In my teens I responded to an abusive environment in order to protect myself.  For that, my family and my school said I was bad.

Sounds reasonable enough. :(

Written By: Howard on 03/05/13 at 3:00 pm

Why were you bad?

Written By: Howard on 03/05/13 at 3:01 pm

I remember when I used to curse my mother would put soap in my mouth.  :P

Written By: Inertia on 03/05/13 at 3:46 pm

I was neither a hooligan nor a saint in my youth. I would say I fit somewhere in the middle as I had a streak of mischief, but for the most part I behaved as expected.

Written By: Goodogbadog on 03/05/13 at 6:53 pm

They actually sad you were BAD????

Written By: Goodogbadog on 03/09/13 at 10:02 pm

I was not bad as a teenager or a kid, I saved that for later on.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/11/13 at 8:56 pm

Nothing more than truancy and a little booze or grass now and again. 

Written By: nally on 03/15/13 at 12:25 pm

I don't think I was naughty as a kid, not even in school... but when something didn't go my way, I often had a hard time handling it. But I would not do anything truly naughty or bad (which would have led to a suspension, which other kids in my schools have gotten).

Written By: warped on 03/15/13 at 1:29 pm

I don't think I was naughty as a kid, not even in school... but when something didn't go my way, I often had a hard time handling it. But I would not do anything truly naughty or bad (which would have led to a suspension, which other kids in my schools have gotten).

I think I see. So basically you abided by the rules, tried your best to follow them 100% But if other kids upset you or something didn’t happen the way you wished, then you got upset (like a temper tantrum or it just bothered you that you weren’t able to handle your emotions?)
You are right, that doesn't make you a naughty kid.  :)

Written By: Red Ant on 03/15/13 at 6:08 pm

I was pretty much a model kid until 12. 13-17, lets just say Im glad that the statute of limitations has long expired for sheesh I did, and regret doing. Have been pretty good most of my adult life....

Ant

Written By: Howard on 03/15/13 at 7:43 pm

I tried to stay out of trouble in High School, I remember when a bunch of guys who Me And My brother knew from around the neighborhood were a bunch of punks wanted me to join their group called TMR = The Master Race but it was short lived because my Mother told me to get the money back from them which I did, nothing happened afterwards.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/15/13 at 8:31 pm

I tried to stay out of trouble in High School, I remember when a bunch of guys who Me And My brother knew from around the neighborhood were a bunch of punks wanted me to join their group called TMR = The Master Race but it was short lived because my Mother told me to get the money back from them which I did, nothing happened afterwards.

The Master Race?  Doesn't sound like they were a good influence anyway.  And they charged you to join?  You shouldn't ever have to pay people to be your friend. 

Written By: Howard on 03/16/13 at 6:02 am

The Master Race?  Doesn't sound like they were a good influence anyway.  And they charged you to join?  You shouldn't ever have to pay people to be your friend.

I don't know, I was a teenager, didn't know any better at that time, they were just a bunch of morons.  ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 03/16/13 at 10:23 am

I don't know, I was a teenager, didn't know any better at that time, they were just a bunch of morons.  ::)

Sounds like it.  Glad you listened to your mom. :)

Written By: Howard on 03/16/13 at 7:28 pm

Sounds like it.  Glad you listened to your mom. :)

My mother almost punished me.

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/19/13 at 1:41 pm

NO. I was a good girl. I never did any of the things my some of my peers did like smoke, drink alcoholic drinks, give older people, parents or elders a hard time... things like that. I'm happy I was a goody growing up though! It has made me into the lady I am today. So, that's one for me! :)

Written By: karen on 03/23/13 at 7:39 am

Nothing more than truancy and a little booze or grass now and again.

ditto

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/05/13 at 4:31 pm

I don't think I was really a bad kid or teenager at all.  I maybe did things at that age that I shouldn't have done.  But as for doing things as a teenager like stealing cars and running away, drinking, and doing drugs.  No I never did do any of that stuff.  I left that sort of thing to my brother.

Written By: ninny on 04/09/13 at 3:10 pm

I believe I was a good kid, teenager until my late teens, but even then I wasn't that bad just stupid stuff like swearing, stealing packs of gum. I didn't smoke or drink till I graduated and sex well being Catholic that didn't happen till much later.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/24/13 at 3:16 pm

I wasn't a bad kid.  Most people who knew me would say I was different.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 04/24/13 at 5:05 pm

I was a good kid but I was mostly withdrawn.  At school I was a loner.  I didn't have long-term friends and prefered spending time with my cousins instead.  Did I get along with my parents? Well my relationship with my mom has always been good but I was only close to my father when I was really young.  As far as my grades I had trouble both because of not understanding and not trying... Hardly any detentions though. 

Written By: valleyroads on 06/30/13 at 3:26 pm

I was, but I'm chalking it up to my parents sheltering me, pampering me, raising me in a hoarder house and using violence to discipline me (for those of you familiar with the Chris-chan saga, my parents are scarily similar to Bob and Barbara Chandler but about a decade each younger), being horribly bullied, and the school district being lenient with me by not making me socialize and prepare for adult life.

These days I'm trying to change that, I'll have to get far away from my whole family to be able to totally change things.

Check for new replies or respond here...