inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Electronic Cigarettes

Written By: Red Ant on 03/14/13 at 1:19 am

How many of you who smoke have considered or tried these?

We tried the ones you get at convenience stores (nJoy brand), non-chargeable, about $8 a piece. Supposedly equal to two packs of cigarettes. BS!. Both died within 20 puffs, they might have been equal to two cigarettes. Fast forward a few months, we get a rechargeable starter kit made by 21st Century. Worked okay at first, but battery life was crap, and the 3 pack refills cost $7.50-$11, and varied wildly in QC. Also, only Rite-Aid and a local smoke shop carried them, sometimes.

Fed up with that, we asked a friend about hers. It was made by Volcano, Inferno model. It's more the size of a cigar, but she said the battery (one of two supplied) lasted all day, and instead of buying refill tips, you buy bottles of e-juice (of about 30 different flavors, 4 different strengths) and just refill the tank. The starter kit was $75, free shipping, and included everything you need to get started. After some trial and error (error being burning up the cartomizer (heating element and cotton wadding that the juice sits in after being siphoned from the tank)), it was all good. Sha (my gf) was even able to use hers when she was in the hospital! No smoke, ash, fire hazard, smell, second hand smoke, and even smoking Pall Mall (which are less than $3/pack here), the juice refills cost half of what those cost. Within a week, her coughing was almost nil. A few months later I got the same model, and we've been happy with them ever since. What's really nice for int'l customers is that while there is the standard 120V US plug in charger, which you cant use, there is also a USB port charger, so you can charge it from your PC/Laptop. Replacement parts are also reasonable, only the complete tank assembly and battery assembly are $20. The rest of the parts are around $2-5, and I havent had to replace anything on either model so far.

If you smoke and live in an area where cigarettes are substantially more expensive, or smoke more than a pack a day, this thing will pay for itself in a month, two tops. The only downside is that the juice isnt available around here, so we order online once a month. Yeah, we shell out ~ $95 a month (you get Volcano points good for about a 5% discount per order, and orders over $50 are shipped USPS for free - orders over $100 are shipped Fedex 2 day air for free (normally $8), but that is enough juice for two people for an entire month. Pall Malls would cost us ~$180, and Marlboro ~$240+ (York County, VA has some of the cheapest prices in the country). The bottles cost $20 an oz, or $13 a 1/2 oz. and every week they have a different flavor on sale. Aside from buying the juice, you'll probably need to buy a new cartomizer or two every month as well ($3 ea).

If you smoke and dont want to quit but want something cheaper and better, look into e-cigs, a decent model. The crap available in convenience stores is just that: crap.

A friend of mine uses the Blu system, which is more in shape and design (suction activated) like a traditional cigarette. Volcano also makes a kit like that, the Magma, however it's the same price for the starter kit as the Inferno. It also uses the refills, tho it doesnt have a tank like that model, so you refill more often, and the batteries, being much smaller, have considerably less run time.

Ant

Subject: Re: Electronic Cigarettes

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/13 at 9:48 am

I often have thought about it. Even though I do consider myself as "quit", I still cheat once in a while because I still love to smoke and still love cigs. I do not inhale when I cheat because then I would go back completely to it. When I was with SIL, I cheated A LOT!! Now, that she is not around, I don't cheat. I don't blame her for my cheating-it is just easier for me to cheat with her around-so I do.  :-[

Cat

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 03/15/13 at 11:24 am

bad kitty >:(  ;)

I've never smoked so I don't really have anything to say, but just noticed someones name I haven't seen much and thought maybe I could say hi.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/15/13 at 6:01 pm

Heya Ann, long time no see. I took about a 2 year break from here, back in limited fashion only.

Ant

Written By: wildcard on 03/15/13 at 6:50 pm

yeah it's been a wile and I think my parody days remain long gone.  Still hanging around these threads.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/28/13 at 6:38 pm

Well, sh!t.  :(

I quit smoking about 5 1/2 years ago and I had it completely beat. No desire, no urges, nothing. I was G2G.

Until about a week or so ago. My brother, who is kind of a social smoker, has an e-cig lying around and I started puffing on it here and there. I moved back to Nebraska back in September and I started this job but I'm still not hired on as a full-time employee so I'm at their beck and call. 10-12 hour days, 5-6 days a week, and with no set schedule. Wondering from week to week whether or not I'm ever going to get hired on full-time. Working in a non-temperature controlled environment in a winter climate.  I haven't been this stressed out since I can't remember.

On the local radio stations, I've been hearing lots of advertising for a local chain of e-cigarette shops, and so the other day after I got off work I finally broke down and went to one of the stores and bought one. (And let me tell you, if you want to make some serious money, open up an e-cig shop. The place was absolutely packed full of people. All I kept thinking was that it was a freakin' money machine.)

Here's the deal: I still have absolutely no desire to ever start smoking real cigarettes again. The thought of inhaling tobacco smoke still completely repulses me. But I'm really liking my e-cig, and nicotine never felt so good. I've been really high-strung lately, and puffing on my vape really takes the edge off.

So, did I fall off the wagon?  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/13 at 12:47 pm

Well, sh!t.  :(

I quit smoking about 5 1/2 years ago and I had it completely beat. No desire, no urges, nothing. I was G2G.

Until about a week or so ago. My brother, who is kind of a social smoker, has an e-cig lying around and I started puffing on it here and there. I moved back to Nebraska back in September and I started this job but I'm still not hired on as a full-time employee so I'm at their beck and call. 10-12 hour days, 5-6 days a week, and with no set schedule. Wondering from week to week whether or not I'm ever going to get hired on full-time. Working in a non-temperature controlled environment in a winter climate.  I haven't been this stressed out since I can't remember.

On the local radio stations, I've been hearing lots of advertising for a local chain of e-cigarette shops, and so the other day after I got off work I finally broke down and went to one of the stores and bought one. (And let me tell you, if you want to make some serious money, open up an e-cig shop. The place was absolutely packed full of people. All I kept thinking was that it was a freakin' money machine.)

Here's the deal: I still have absolutely no desire to ever start smoking real cigarettes again. The thought of inhaling tobacco smoke still completely repulses me. But I'm really liking my e-cig, and nicotine never felt so good. I've been really high-strung lately, and puffing on my vape really takes the edge off.

So, did I fall off the wagon?
???

Good question. I think it all depends on how you define things. I think e-cigs have nicotine in them. So, did you quit nicotine? If that is your answer is yes, then you fell off the wagon. If you quit cigs then I would say that you didn't fall off the wagon, but are using a different method for your addiction.

I am STILL addicted to cigs & nicotine-which is why I cheat. I have decided that I don't want to go the e-cig route because I will get back into the habit of inhaling something all the time. At least I can lie to myself that by cheating once in a while (without inhaling), I can get over those cravings without getting back into the habit again.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/01/14 at 10:54 pm

Mayor Bloomberg, as the last act of a desperate little turd, has made e-cig smoking illegal in NYC.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bloomberg-bans-e-cigarettes-indoors-smokers-light-article-1.1562010

He ought to move to Singapore.  His kinda place.
::)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/12/14 at 1:59 pm

I tried one. My friend Stacie had a non-nicotine one that tasted like grapes. It was pretty cool and hers is pretty, studded with rhinestones and stuff. She was mad I took the last puff though. LOL It didn't even choke me like a real cigarette.

(I'm not a smoker myself, my mom was for the first 10 years of my life though. She quit cold turkey in 96)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/12/14 at 6:13 pm

Good question. I think it all depends on how you define things. I think e-cigs have nicotine in them. So, did you quit nicotine? If that is your answer is yes, then you fell off the wagon. If you quit cigs then I would say that you didn't fall off the wagon, but are using a different method for your addiction.

I am STILL addicted to cigs & nicotine-which is why I cheat. I have decided that I don't want to go the e-cig route because I will get back into the habit of inhaling something all the time. At least I can lie to myself that by cheating once in a while (without inhaling), I can get over those cravings without getting back into the habit again.

Cat

I wouldn't consider what you're doing as cheating. I used to puff (not inhale) on cigarettes maybe once or twice a month and if anything, it probably kept me from going back to smoking full-time.

What I'm doing is different. You can get those disposable e-cigs at gas stations but they only last a day or two before they die out. I actually got an e-cig kit, which consists of a rechargeable battery, a "tank" to hold the fluid, or "juice," as they call it, and a wick which vaporizes the "juice" and converts it into the steam which you inhale. The e-cig store which I go to has several hundred flavors of juice, and you can request how much nicotine they add to it and they mix it up right there in the store for you.

I got my juice with nicotine content one step up from middle range, so I'm probably getting re-addicted to it.  :-[

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/14 at 6:25 pm

I wouldn't consider what you're doing as cheating. I used to puff (not inhale) on cigarettes maybe once or twice a month and if anything, it probably kept me from going back to smoking full-time.

What I'm doing is different. You can get those disposable e-cigs at gas stations but they only last a day or two before they die out. I actually got an e-cig kit, which consists of a rechargeable battery, a "tank" to hold the fluid, or "juice," as they call it, and a wick which vaporizes the "juice" and converts it into the steam which you inhale. The e-cig store which I go to has several hundred flavors of juice, and you can request how much nicotine they add to it and they mix it up right there in the store for you.

I got my juice with nicotine content one step up from middle range, so I'm probably getting re-addicted to it.  :-[

Yeah, it does sound like you are getting re-addicted. But, I'm not going chastise you for it. I totally know the pull of nicotine. Been fighting it myself.

For myself, I love the fact that I can go for days and not even THINK about a cig. And of course when we fly to PR-LONG trip and you CAN'T smoke. Before I quit, that trip was super hard. But, now I can take a few puffs on a cig and I'm fine. Lately, I have been bumming from my cleaning woman. She comes every 2 weeks and I will bum 2 cigs from her. They last me for 2 weeks.  :D ;D ;D ;D  I really hate bumming from people but I don't want to buy a pack. If I buy a pack, I will smoke a pack. I am really bad around my SIL. I bum so many from her. I would buy her packs at a time but I end up smoking a lot of those. I really need to quit bumming so many from her.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/12/14 at 7:01 pm

Yeah, it does sound like you are getting re-addicted. But, I'm not going chastise you for it. I totally know the pull of nicotine. Been fighting it myself.

For myself, I love the fact that I can go for days and not even THINK about a cig. And of course when we fly to PR-LONG trip and you CAN'T smoke. Before I quit, that trip was super hard. But, now I can take a few puffs on a cig and I'm fine. Lately, I have been bumming from my cleaning woman. She comes every 2 weeks and I will bum 2 cigs from her. They last me for 2 weeks.  :D ;D ;D ;D  I really hate bumming from people but I don't want to buy a pack. If I buy a pack, I will smoke a pack. I am really bad around my SIL. I bum so many from her. I would buy her packs at a time but I end up smoking a lot of those. I really need to quit bumming so many from her.

Cat

What's nice about e-cigs is that they're still legal indoors (at least here in Nebraska anyway), so I can go into a bar and puff away on it all night long and no one looks at me like I'm Hitler or something.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/12/14 at 7:02 pm

Mayor Bloomberg, as the last act of a desperate little turd, has made e-cig smoking illegal in NYC.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bloomberg-bans-e-cigarettes-indoors-smokers-light-article-1.1562010

He ought to move to Singapore.  His kinda place.
::)

Or Bakersfield, California, because he deserves it. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...