inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you believe in Destiny/Fate?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/13 at 2:13 am

Do you?

Do you think some things are meant to be? How much free will do you think we have if you could give a percentage? Do you think everything is free will? Do you think everything is destiny/fate? Is it something in between or something else altogether?

Excited to hear your responses!!  8):D

Subject: Re: Do you believe in Destiny/Fate?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/30/13 at 10:24 am

I sort of believe in both fate & free will. Let me explain. Imagine yourself on a road. If you stay on that road, you will get to Point A. No matter what, as long as you are on that road, you will get to that point. (Fate) However, you have the free will to get off that road and get on another one. You have the free will to chose whatever road you want. But each road has its own fate. Does that make sense?

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/13 at 10:48 am

I sort of believe in both fate & free will. Let me explain. Imagine yourself on a road. If you stay on that road, you will get to Point A. No matter what, as long as you are on that road, you will get to that point. (Fate) However, you have the free will to get off that road and get on another one. You have the free will to chose whatever road you want. But each road has its own fate. Does that make sense?

Cat

I understand. And amazing analogy there!  :D

Written By: wildcard on 03/30/13 at 11:17 am

I got a song in my head now    Freewill

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/30/13 at 11:41 am

Fate/destiny imply some "grand plan" or some guiding force, which I reject, since both imply a planner or a guide.  But acts are not neutral, rather all acts or actions, or behaviors have consequences, some predictable and  others not.  When we experience the unpredictable ones we tend to call it fate.

Written By: warped on 03/30/13 at 2:27 pm

But acts are not neutral, rather all acts or actions, or behaviors have consequences, some predictable and  others not.  When we experience the unpredictable ones we tend to call it fate.

Agreed.  I tend to believe in free will more than destiny/fate. I believe that all acts/behaviors/decisions we make have consequences, some predictable and some aren't, just like you said. We have been provided with a brain, and (in most cases) we use it to think and act & to make choices in life.  There are some restraints (some economical, environmental) but you have the free will to chose a large part of what to do with your life.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/13 at 3:08 pm

I got a song in my head now    Freewill

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/13 at 3:11 pm

Fate/destiny imply some "grand plan" or some guiding force, which I reject, since both imply a planner or a guide.  But acts are not neutral, rather all acts or actions, or behaviors have consequences, some predictable and  others not.  When we experience the unpredictable ones we tend to call it fate.

Sometimes things 'seem' to 'fit' too good and that's why some people think some situations are fate. I'm not saying they're right, or wrong!

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/13 at 3:14 pm

Agreed.  I tend to believe in free will more than destiny/fate. I believe that all acts/behaviors/decisions we make have consequences, some predictable and some aren't, just like you said. We have been provided with a brain, and (in most cases) we use it to think and act & to make choices in life.  There are some restraints (some economical, environmental) but you have the free will to chose a large part of what to do with your life.

Of course some people who believe in God also believe in free will. And some are so rigid in their beliefs (atheists, catholics, buddhists, etc) they either believe everything is planned out already or they believe everything is coincidental.

Written By: wildcard on 03/30/13 at 5:14 pm

something from my childhood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymUtoEVe6Ms

Written By: Howard on 03/30/13 at 7:35 pm

I believe things and situations happen for a reason, G-d put us on Earth for a reason, he has his master plan.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/13 at 9:35 pm

I believe things and situations happen for a reason, G-d put us on Earth for a reason, he has his master plan.

I hope his plan doesn't include anything too bad for us Earth people.  :(

Written By: wildcard on 03/30/13 at 10:33 pm

sometimes I  think some things happen for reasons like God trying to communicate something maybe.  Not always though.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/13 at 11:32 pm

sometimes I  think some things happen for reasons like God trying to communicate something maybe.  Not always though.

Sometimes he's tired and on lunch break. ;D

Written By: warped on 03/31/13 at 7:49 am

I've read some prophecy books/taken seminary courses on church eschatology (end times).  If you believe in what the bible says about it, some serious shyt is gonna happen, and it ain't pretty.  On the other hand, if you think it's a load of crap, then it's a load of crap.

Written By: wildcard on 03/31/13 at 1:00 pm

I've read some prophecy books/taken seminary courses on church eschatology (end times).  If you believe in what the bible says about it, some serious shyt is gonna happen, and it ain't pretty.  On the other hand, if you think it's a load of crap, then it's a load of crap.

All I know is I chose to believe in a higher something then me  and it seems it might help me make dicisions sometimes and stuff like that. I don't know if the Bible is 100% word for word on everything or if God might change His mind.  I don't know, I believe my business is to do the best I still can living on this planet.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/13 at 3:08 pm

why would he? It's all Mother Nature's fault.

Written By: wildcard on 03/31/13 at 5:34 pm

It's the new mother nature takin over?

Written By: warped on 03/31/13 at 7:01 pm

It's the new mother nature takin over?

Yeah, No sugar tonight for either of you.

Written By: wildcard on 03/31/13 at 7:05 pm

Yeah, No sugar tonight for either of you.

the last thing I need are more cavities anyway

Written By: warped on 03/31/13 at 7:30 pm

I have to post this because I have always found it funny..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8B-Nokm9K0

My density...has popped me to you.

Written By: meesa on 04/01/13 at 8:35 am

My belief is similar to Cat's. I think that there are many different 'destinies' that a person could be led to-thousands-millions perhaps-but free will makes the decisions. I have to believe that free will trumps. What is the point of trying, striving, learning- if destiny or fate is going to pull you along towards a predetermined end?

Written By: wildcard on 04/01/13 at 10:58 am

My belief is similar to Cat's. I think that there are many different 'destinies' that a person could be led to-thousands-millions perhaps-but free will makes the decisions. I have to believe that free will trumps. What is the point of trying, striving, learning- if destiny or fate is going to pull you along towards a predetermined end?

exactly

I believe that we are here to make a choice to believe in God or not.  God or whatever else reason we might be  here,  I don't think we were put here so something could watch us suffer or whatever.  Fate doesn't make since to me if there is a higher being or not.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/13 at 2:38 pm

exactly

I believe that we are here to make a choice to believe in God or not.  God or whatever else reason we might be  here,  I don't think we were put here so something could watch us suffer or whatever.  Fate doesn't make since to me if there is a higher being or not.

I'm on Earth just to live my life every day, that's all. What else is there? I've done some good and some bad throughout my life but I'm not an evil guy and every day for me is like a present just waiting to see what's inside.

Written By: wildcard on 04/01/13 at 3:03 pm

We're all doing what we can
But if you're just blaming for carelessness you create
It's just a behavior I can't contemplate

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/01/13 at 9:29 pm

Yes. 

Similar sentiments as above.  As the Serenity Prayer says,

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

I don't agree with the New Age self-help ethos that you make everything go the way you want it to if only you express enough willpower.  We can control very little, even in our own families.  It is vital to control what we can.  Where most people fail is in the wisdom to know the difference.

Don't worry, leave things to God, the Buddha, Mohammed, Jesus, Gaia, the Great Spirit, or whatever your faith is.  Faith is necessary because otherwise you think you have to take responsibility for everything in the world, and you'll go bonkers!
:)

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/02/13 at 9:55 am

Yes. 

Similar sentiments as above.  As the Serenity Prayer says,

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

I don't agree with the New Age self-help ethos that you make everything go the way you want it to if only you express enough willpower.  We can control very little, even in our own families.  It is vital to control what we can.  Where most people fail is in the wisdom to know the difference.

Don't worry, leave things to God, the Buddha, Mohammed, Jesus, Gaia, the Great Spirit, or whatever your faith is.  Faith is necessary because otherwise you think you have to take responsibility for everything in the world, and you'll go bonkers!

I respectfully disagree with you re faith, and it seems o me that your prayer contradicts that sentiment

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/03/13 at 9:57 pm

Faith is necessary because otherwise you think you have to take responsibility for everything in the world, and you'll go bonkers!

Regardless of faith or not, why would you feel you have responsibility for everything in the world?

If there's a God, you're not Him, so it's not your fault.

If there isn't a God, consider that there have been thousands of people who have managed to amass billions of dollars in their bank accounts and commanded trillions of dollars' worth of men and materiel, and not a single one of them has managed to achieve world domination.  If any of them had succeeded, it might be their responsibility, as it stands, it's not even their fault, so why should it be your fault? 

People with more money, brains, and drive than everyone on this board put together have tried to take responsibility for everything in the world, and all of them put together have left the 20th century with nothing to show for it but an eight-digit body count.  Unless you've got a billion dollars to your name or have been elected to high political office, the only rational response to someone who tries to accuse you of being responsible for the condition of the world is to repent, quit your job, and slack off.  To shrug, as it were.

Written By: Goodogbadog on 04/03/13 at 10:32 pm

Regardless of faith or not, why would you feel you have responsibility for everything in the world?

If there's a God, you're not Him, so it's not your fault.

If there isn't a God, consider that there have been thousands of people who have managed to amass billions of dollars in their bank accounts and commanded trillions of dollars' worth of men and materiel, and not a single one of them has managed to achieve world domination.  If any of them had succeeded, it might be their responsibility, as it stands, it's not even their fault, so why should it be your fault? 

People with more money, brains, and drive than everyone on this board put together have tried to take responsibility for everything in the world, and all of them put together have left the 20th century with nothing to show for it but an eight-digit body count.  Unless you've got a billion dollars to your name or have been elected to high political office, the only rational response to someone who tries to accuse you of being responsible for the condition of the world is to repent, quit your job, and slack off.  To shrug, as it were.

It sounds as if you guys are taking Maxwell's "fear of being responsible for the whole world" literally. I think he's really talking about that feeling that some people get, when they are brought up in families that use blame a lot, that whatever goes wrong in your life, or the people around you, it's your fault somehow.  So offereing detailed explanations about how everything in the world can't possibly be one person's fault may miss the point and not address that heavy burden feeling he's talking about. And it does help to let things be in the hand of whatever creator or wise being you believe in. The "New Age" in my way of looking at it, though, is not about will power and having enough of it. Quite the opposite. It's more like the "Serenity Prayer" description. There was a New Age book called "Don't Push the River, It Flows by Itself." That sort of sums up the "New Age" perspective for me. It's more about awareness than about control. With awareness control comes along naturally. When you are truly aware, your natural drive towards health chooses actions that will lead to successful solutions. The wisdom in you is from the oversoul/ the Creator—and who/what could be more wise? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/13 at 11:45 pm

It sounds as if you guys are taking Maxwell's "fear of being responsible for the whole world" literally. I think he's really talking about that feeling that some people get, when they are brought up in families that use blame a lot, that whatever goes wrong in your life, or the people around you, it's your fault somehow.  So offereing detailed explanations about how everything in the world can't possibly be one person's fault may miss the point and not address that heavy burden feeling he's talking about. And it does help to let things be in the hand of whatever creator or wise being you believe in. The "New Age" in my way of looking at it, though, is not about will power and having enough of it. Quite the opposite. It's more like the "Serenity Prayer" description. There was a New Age book called "Don't Push the River, It Flows by Itself." That sort of sums up the "New Age" perspective for me. It's more about awareness than about control. With awareness control comes along naturally. When you are truly aware, your natural drive towards health chooses actions that will lead to successful solutions. The wisdom in you is from the oversoul/ the Creator—and who/what could be more wise?

Yes, that's closer to what I was trying to say.  Life is like a river, one dam thing after another.  The river flows by itself, but it's your responsibility not to take a piss upstream from where I'm taking a drink.

I tried to be ecumenical in my statement of the necessity of faith, but faith is a matter of faith (sorry for the tautology).  I live in a hypersecular area of Massachusetts where saying you believe in God makes people act like you're waving your penis around in public.  It earns you stares of revulsion and contempt, and a few friends you might not want!
:D

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/04/13 at 10:32 am

Yes, that's closer to what I was trying to say.  Life is like a river, one dam thing after another.  The river flows by itself, but it's your responsibility not to take a piss upstream from where I'm taking a drink.

I tried to be ecumenical in my statement of the necessity of faith, but faith is a matter of faith (sorry for the tautology).  I live in a hypersecular area of Massachusetts where saying you believe in God makes people act like you're waving your penis around in public.  It earns you stares of revulsion and contempt, and a few friends you might not want!
:D

Gottcha Max.  and while I hold very few people in contempt (and certainly not because they are religious) I can't, for myself, buy the whole god/oversoul/creator stuff.  It just doesn't ring true to me

Written By: wildcard on 04/04/13 at 11:17 am

I've got a mom who seems to think everything is her responsibility and told me a few days ago how she has so much to do when I try to tell her she got me upset about something.  I told her that if she let me start trying to take care of myself, she wouldn't have as much of everything to think about.

Written By: tv on 05/10/15 at 10:32 pm

I agree.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/11/15 at 1:43 pm

Wow, I was in some kind of mood. ;D  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/11/15 at 3:29 pm

Wow, I was in some kind of mood. ;D  ;D

What mood was that?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/11/15 at 3:59 pm

What mood was that?

Dark and contemplative.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/11/15 at 11:27 pm

Not really, until I heard that the guy who shot Trayvon Martin got shot in the face today.

NOW, I believe.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/12/15 at 12:01 am

If I were him, I'd be crazy worried it's a foreshadowing, from God, of what might happen to him in the future.

Check for new replies or respond here...