inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Spread The Word To End The Word.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/03/13 at 2:44 am

I think everybody knows what it is that I'm talking about.  I don't know if anybody here has taken the pledge to end the thoughtless use of the word retard/retarded? But I have and I'll tell you why I've taken the pledge to stop using those words.
It makes me cringe everytime I ever heard it being thrown around when I was in my teens to early 20s but when I went to www.r-word.org I discovered that I wasn't the only one who thought this way.  Lots of peple all over the United States and the world have pledged to stop using that word when they mean stupid, dumb, or slow.
I think that in this day and age a lot of people don't realize that when you use that word it's the same as any other word that's used as an insult like gay.
I've been called a retard/retarded myself because, well, I'm a bit slow.  If I suddenly get angry or frustrated with people it's usually because they did something that upset me.

T549VoLca_Q

Warning: Strong Language.

v35FxUgFZQ4

I don't know? Maybe I'm being a bit overly sensitive but I don't think that this particular word has a place on this message board.  It makes me cringe everytime I hear it.

Subject: Re: Spread The Word To End The Word.

Written By: snozberries on 04/03/13 at 4:12 am

I think everybody knows what it is that I'm talking about.  I don't know if anybody here has taken the pledge to end the thoughtless use of the word retard/retarded? But I have and I'll tell you why I've taken the pledge to stop using those words.
It makes me cringe everytime I ever heard it being thrown around when I was in my teens to early 20s but when I went to www.r-word.org I discovered that I wasn't the only one who thought this way.  Lots of peple all over the United States and the world have pledged to stop using that word when they mean stupid, dumb, or slow.
I think that in this day and age a lot of people don't realize that when you use that word it's the same as any other word that's used as an insult like gay.
I've been called a retard/retarded myself because, well, I'm a bit slow.  If I suddenly get angry or frustrated with people it's usually because they did something that upset me.

T549VoLca_Q

2IdsL6zuiQY

I don't know? Maybe I'm being a bit overly sensitive but I don't think that this particular word has a place on this message board.  It makes me cringe everytime I hear it.

I moved this topic to TTT because it's more of a serious discussion. More people will see it here. 

Rest assured you are not alone... there are plenty of us on these boards who do not like the use of the R word and we call out when we see it.

Written By: warped on 04/03/13 at 6:00 am

No, you are not overly sensitive at all. When people throw out the word "retard" or "homo", those words are said/meant to hurt. I agree it should have no place here. O0

Someone can face challenges or be developmentally delayed. Don't throw the "r" word at them. It hurts and is disrespectful and it's offensive.

Written By: Howard on 04/03/13 at 6:37 am

I've been called "retard" and a "fag" almost all my life, It does hurt but you know, I try to live my life knowing that there are some good people out there.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/03/13 at 7:08 am

T549VoLca_Q

2IdsL6zuiQY

It is a horrible word.  I signed the petition a long time ago.  It drives me nuts when my younger employees use it. If I hear it, I tell them to stop.  I grew up in a time where people with downs syndrome were called mentally retarded or just retards.  Not saying it was right, just how it was.  It didn't seem nice to me then either.  To me using the word to describe someone or something as dumb is a great disservice to the mentally handicapped in our society.  The word needs to be banned and taken out of the language.  Although, from experience with other words, it won't happen.

Love the People's Court clip.  Judge Milian had it right.  If you just throw the word around for an insult your mama didn't teach you right.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/03/13 at 7:09 am

I've been called "retard" and a "fag" almost all my life, It does hurt but you know, I try to live my life knowing that their are some good people out there.

That sucks, Howard.  Sorry people are such jerks.  :(

Written By: meesa on 04/03/13 at 9:03 am

Anytime someone uses this word, well, let's just say it garners a very strong reaction from me. I understand where you are coming from.

My sons para sold bracelets around town last year that had "Spread the word to end the word" on it for charity. When I brought them to work they sold out; I still wear mine.  :)

Here is what I hope will happen:
For each generation more ignorance will be stamped out, so that eventually words like this will not be remembered or used.

I truly hope for this.

I've been called "retard" and a "fag" almost all my life, It does hurt but you know, I try to live my life knowing that their are some good people out there.

Howard, there are good people out here. And you are not alone, if it helps. I think there are a lot of us that have been called unkind words-they DO hurt, but not letting it define us is what is important.  I hope that you hold onto that good attitude! It is easy to let people get you down, but keep your chin up.  :) For every one jerk , there are several kind people out here! The way I see it is, we are all in this together.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/03/13 at 10:23 am

I don't use it anymore. I must admit that I only used it when I was describing my step-brother (actually, he was my step-step-brother. He was my step-father's step-son). He had the mental ability as a 10 year old (in a 40 year old body). At that time, that was the "proper" term to describe him-even though it is not today. I haven't seen him since my step-father passed away about 20 years ago or so.

The funny thing was the day we found Playboy magazines in room. He told us that they had good articles. The problem with that explanation was, HE COULDN'T READ!!!  ;D ;D ;D 

Ok, I went off on a tangent. Getting back to the topic again, I don't use the term anymore.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/03/13 at 6:27 pm

I'm ok with this movement. A local gal (and budding country singer) Sarah Marince  :-* is a big supporter of the "End the Word" movement. To use that word to make fun of people is wrong, and it denigrates people who really are mentally retarded.

But I do have one small problem. They also want to purge the use of the word "retarded" as a serious description of somebody who truly is mentally retarded. I see that as another side of the bullying movement where people try to twist the meaning of words. If someone is truly retarded, why should the medical profession have to stop using the word ?  Our society continues to march towards "thought control" campaigns which ultimately are self destructive.

Written By: Howard on 04/03/13 at 7:44 pm

That sucks, Howard.  Sorry people are such jerks.  :(

it does suck when you become a wuss half your life and not fight back just because you don't use violent words or use violence in general, I didn't grow up that way.

Written By: Howard on 04/03/13 at 7:46 pm

Howard, there are good people out here. And you are not alone, if it helps. I think there are a lot of us that have been called unkind words-they DO hurt, but not letting it define us is what is important.  I hope that you hold onto that good attitude! It is easy to let people get you down, but keep your chin up.  :) For every one jerk , there are several kind people out here! The way I see it is, we are all in this together.

I do not let those words get to me, I just try to keep a good attitude.

Written By: Katluver on 04/03/13 at 10:39 pm

I know this is a little off topic, but I want to mention how I find it hard to believe that other people have labelled you using those words. You don't seem slow at all with your excellent writing skills!

Written By: Goodogbadog on 04/03/13 at 11:21 pm

I'm ok with this movement. A local gal (and budding country singer) Sarah Marince  :-* is a big supporter of the "End the Word" movement. To use that word to make fun of people is wrong, and it denigrates people who really are mentally retarded.

But I do have one small problem. They also want to purge the use of the word "retarded" as a serious description of somebody who truly is mentally retarded. I see that as another side of the bullying movement where people try to twist the meaning of words. If someone is truly retarded, why should the medical profession have to stop using the word ?  Our society continues to march towards "thought control" campaigns which ultimately are self destructive.

One problem with the word "retarded" or even "developmentally delayed" is the implication that the person is just behind the pack in intelligence and can catch up, but that is not the case.  I agree with you, though, the profession should not have to change the word. But it has to now, because it has been ruined.

The REAL problem is that people look down on people who are not smart. That is probably an evolutionary thing, but it has to stop. If we are to become more spiritual, we must respect, accept, and even love all people with the characteristics God gave the when they were born. Not everyone can be smart, not everyone beautiful, not everyone can be the best. It's relative. There's always a range, a scale in humans. As long as people make fun of people PERIOD, they will ruin word after newly invented word after newly invented word. As Cat pointed out, "Retarded" used to be the "nice" word to use. It replaced other words like "moron, imbecile and idiot." They, in turn were nice words which referred to the lower part of the IQ scale.  People ruined those words, too. I don't know what came before those words.  Anyone? Maybe "fool?"

It's not words that need to change, it's the destructive attitude people have towards each other that needs to change.

I can trace THAT back further, but I'll let YOU do that!! 

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/04/13 at 12:04 am

The medical profession stopped using the word decades ago.  There are many types of mental problems, and lumping all mental problems into "retarded" while claiming to be a doctor is like a politician referring to immigrants of Latino descent as "wetbacks".  Do we describe all people darker than a certain line on a color bar "neven in quotation marks, I've got my own limitss" while trying to claim we're not racist?  Not anymore.

Thanks to this post, I thought back over my own use of the world.  I think the last time I referred to someone with an actual mental disbability as "retarded" was probably 30 years ago in junior high, and I'm not proud of that moment, because as soon as I'd said it, I realized it wasn't his fault, and there were plenty of things about him that I could have insulted him for that were his fault.  Over the intervening decades, I grew up and realized I was the retarded one in that particular exchange. 

There are plenty of words I can use to describe ignorant buffoonish politicians and their mindless slackjawed followers without insulting people with actual mental issues.  (Despite their difficulties, they're still smarter than the people I've actually been aiming at when I've used the word over the past 30 years.)  My great-grandparents and grandparents probably took a while before they figured out they had to give up the N-word in the 50s-60s.  My parents were confused as to why they had to give up "Oriental" for "Asian" in the 80s-90s.  I'm OK with the 10s-20s being the years in which it's my turn to realize a word's time in civilized discourse has come and gone.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/13 at 7:41 am

I know this is a little off topic, but I want to mention how I find it hard to believe that other people have labelled you using those words. You don't seem slow at all with your excellent writing skills!

When I was growing up in the 80's, I (with my brother) always got picked on almost all the time, my brother fought but I was always the wussy, problem was I was too nice and caring all the time.

Written By: warped on 04/04/13 at 3:17 pm

When I was growing up in the 80's, I (with my brother) always got picked on almost all the time, my brother fought but I was always the wussy, problem was I was too nice and caring all the time.

Maybe you just don't like violence and are a peacemaker. Good qualities to have, Howard  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/04/13 at 4:33 pm

Oh me too Howard.  I never knew how to stand up for myself and so I went on with life believing that I was stupid because people told me that I was stupid.
My parents always told me that I was smart and I never believed them.  :(  It was really hard for me because I was labeled as "different" and I hated that.  :P

Written By: wildcard on 04/04/13 at 4:47 pm

I've said the word once here to myself, but not to put me down.  I have a brain tumor and I have brain problems.  I thought that is how the word use to be used.  I never want to use it to insult people.  Unless I'm teasing them or trying to get their attention so I can communicate something to them, I don't insult people in any way.  I see no reason to.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/04/13 at 9:38 pm

People throw that word around a lot and maybe it's because I was called it so much.  It makes me so angry and maybe at the time I didn't have it in me to say what I really wanted to say because I was dealing with a lot stuff at the time.

This is what the girls on the Talk said about it.

v35FxUgFZQ4

Holly and Sharon are right.  It's a word that's thrown around a lot and people don't get it.  Holly and her son Rodney Jr have written a song together about his Autism and how he functions everyday and his wish that every kid with autism could afford to get treated.  :)

wLjs7wxXxSA

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/04/13 at 11:58 pm

Believe me.  I've always done well accademically.  Socially and emotionally was another story.  I just couldn't relate to other kids my own age.  I still can't relate to people.  I can't even relate to the people in my own family because they either think I'm stupid or they think that I act stupid.  Which is why I don't interact with my family members.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/13 at 5:55 am

Maybe you just don't like violence and are a peacemaker. Good qualities to have, Howard  :)

Maybe it's because I got my personality from my Mother.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/13 at 5:57 am

Oh me too Howard.  I never knew how to stand up for myself and so I went on with life believing that I was stupid because people told me that I was stupid.

Did you ever fight back or did you not know how to?  ???

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/05/13 at 2:50 pm

Did you ever fight back or did you not know how to?  ???

Not at the time.  It was about 10 years later that I did eventually stand up for myself.  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/05/13 at 7:57 pm

Not at the time.  It was about 10 years later that I did eventually stand up for myself.  :)

I could never stand up for myself, I was always too nice, being too nice I wound up being stepped on like a carpet and let people take advantage of me, never wanted to fight, just wasn't my thing.

Written By: amjikloviet on 04/05/13 at 8:20 pm

I remember back in the day when I was in grade school, some kids were so mean that they would call each other those names if someone was being silly. And they would laugh about it and not care. It continued when we got older, and I still hear people using those words/labels. I never liked using words like that. I think it's just really mean and it makes people feel bad. :-\\

Written By: nally on 04/05/13 at 8:22 pm

I remember back in the day when I was in grade school, some kids were so mean that they would call each other those names if someone was being silly. And they would laugh about it and not care. I never liked using words like that. I think it's just really mean and it makes people feel bad. :-\\

I hear ya... and I remember when kids did that sort of thing in grade school. They even used names on me a few times, and for the most part it deeply offended me.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/13 at 8:23 pm

I remember back in the day when I was in grade school, some kids were so mean that they would call each other those names if someone was being silly. And they would laugh about it and not care. It continued when we got older, and I still hear people using those words/labels. I never liked using words like that. I think it's just really mean and it makes people feel bad. :-\\

I agree, It sure does.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/06/13 at 1:19 am

I know.  It hurts my heart when I hear kids of this generation throwing that word around like it's not a big deal.  But to me it's a very big deal and it frustrates me to no end when I hear someone throw that word around.
In fact a friend of mine she was throwing that word around because she has a developmentally challenged sister and I  finally told her to stop.  Just like Holly Robinson Peete's daughter that word brings back a lot of horrible memories of me being called "stupid" and retarded for whatever reason.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/13 at 5:48 am

I know.  It hurts my heart when I hear kids of this generation throwing that word around like it's not a big deal.

I heard it every day on the streets from these school kids they curse and call themselves "My N***ER". ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/07/13 at 6:18 pm

I have heard that Bird is the Word.

bird bird bird is the word b-b-bird bird bird bird is the word
oh everybody's heard about the bird b-b-b-bird bird bird is the word
bird bird bird is the word....

Written By: warped on 04/07/13 at 7:13 pm

I have heard that Bird is the Word.

bird bird bird is the word b-b-bird bird bird bird is the word
oh everybody's heard about the bird b-b-b-bird bird bird is the word
bird bird bird is the word....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184

Written By: snozberries on 04/07/13 at 11:56 pm

Just a reminder about TTT:

posted by Tam:

This board is designed for more serious topics, that simply would not work in the Politics section, and it is asked that if you participate in any threads, you will remain on topic and courteous. Thread-jacking is not appreciated here, and joking should be kept to a minimum. If you want to joke around and have fun, please go back to Playful Penguin Place. Off topic posts will be deleted going forward.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/08/13 at 3:20 am

We were at Special Olympics and some student volunteers were sitting talking to each other, as I walked by I heard one say "He is such a retard". AT SPECIAL OLYMPICS!!!!!  I stopped in my tracks, and I think I may have sounded like something out of The Exorcist.  I said "You do not use that word, Do you know where you are?"  She put her head down and all her friends went from laughing to pretty much being afraid to draw a breath. Later a member of the Special Olympics came around with a survey asking about likes/dislikes.  I mentioned the situation, as much as little missy pissed me off, it is the job of the volunteer co-ordinator to train these kids to watch their mouths. I have a lot of issues with Special Olympics, this is just one of them.

Written By: Howard on 04/08/13 at 6:59 am

We were at Special Olympics and some student volunteers were sitting talking to each other, as I walked by I heard one say "He is such a retard". AT SPECIAL OLYMPICS!!!!!  I stopped in my tracks, and I think I may have sounded like something out of The Exorcist.  I said "You do not use that word, Do you know where you are?"  She put her head down and all her friends went from laughing to pretty much being afraid to draw a breath. Later a member of the Special Olympics came around with a survey asking about likes/dislikes.  I mentioned the situation, as much as little missy pissed me off, it is the job of the volunteer co-ordinator to train these kids not to watch there mouths. I have a lot of issues with Special Olympics, this is just one of them.

That was uncalled for, thank god you brought this situation to attention.

Written By: warped on 04/08/13 at 7:10 am

as I walked by I heard one say "He is such a retard". AT SPECIAL OLYMPICS!!!!! 

I can't believe someone actually said that there. Wow.

Written By: Howard on 04/08/13 at 7:41 am

I can't believe someone actually said that there. Wow.

that person should've watched what they say around people like them.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/08/13 at 1:49 pm

We were at Special Olympics and some student volunteers were sitting talking to each other, as I walked by I heard one say "He is such a retard". AT SPECIAL OLYMPICS!!!!!  I stopped in my tracks, and I think I may have sounded like something out of The Exorcist.  I said "You do not use that word, Do you know where you are?"  She put her head down and all her friends went from laughing to pretty much being afraid to draw a breath. Later a member of the Special Olympics came around with a survey asking about likes/dislikes.  I mentioned the situation, as much as little missy pissed me off, it is the job of the volunteer co-ordinator to train these kids to watch their mouths. I have a lot of issues with Special Olympics, this is just one of them.

:) Good for you Danoota&Me for standing up for yourself and others.  I wish I had the tenacity to say that.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/08/13 at 2:45 pm

Yeeesh!  A volunteer at S.O. said "retard"?  We've got a ways to go yet, but I remember the bad old days when they used to call people with Down Syndrome "mongoloids" and make fun of them right to their faces.  S.O. has done a lot of good in raising the social esteem of people with mental and physical challenges.  But I guess it's like any other big organization.  Incompetence seeps in everywhere!
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...