inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's a girl thing (for fellow sisters only) o+

Written By: Katluver on 06/27/13 at 11:51 pm

I've decided to create a thread to discuss any girly dilemmas(aka extremely boring material for men). It can be anything from beauty concerns, monthly visitors, menopause, or just anything "nasty".

Subject: Re: It's a girl thing (for fellow sisters only) o+

Written By: Katluver on 06/28/13 at 12:01 am

I'll start off with my hair.
I recently just had a good trim by a senior stylist, and since I only wash it every 2-3 days, I haven't washed it much since. Yet every time I do wash my hair, it frizzes and stays like that for the rest of the day!!!
And my hair isn't naturally curly, and usually I blow dry it on a cool setting, or air dry it altogether!! To top it off, I use a heat protecting spray (John Frieda) and of course I use a generous amount of hair conditioner.
I also use a good expensive shampoo (Aveda).
The hair usually goes back to normal the following day, but it's a frustrating experience! Didn't think my hair was that fragile (?)

Written By: Tashlovglit on 06/28/13 at 9:29 pm

You should let the stylist know.  I don't know if what they did could've caused it but then why is your hair acting different?  ???  I rarely cut my hair, since I prefer it long, but I probably wash it too often.  It's super thick and feels gross when it's not washed at least every other day.  :-\\

Written By: Katluver on 06/29/13 at 9:31 am

You should let the stylist know.  I don't know if what they did could've caused it but then why is your hair acting different?  ???  I rarely cut my hair, since I prefer it long, but I probably wash it too often.  It's super thick and feels gross when it's not washed at least every other day.  :-\\

I am trying to grow my hair out, but go for a trim every 2-3 months to remove split ends.
I can only wash my hair every other day because my hair seems to be super fine and fragile.
Maybe it's the water out here...

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/13 at 10:34 pm

I have never been for a manicure.  The thought is nice, but it is also true that the biggest transfer of hepatitis happens in nail salons.  There doesn't even have to be a transfer of blood.  Transfer of germs from cuticle tools can pass on the disease.  I want to get a manicure, but I think I will do it at home.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/03/13 at 11:20 am

I have never been for a manicure.  The thought is nice, but it is also true that the biggest transfer of hepatitis happens in nail salons.  There doesn't even have to be a transfer of blood.  Transfer of germs from cuticle tools can pass on the disease.  I want to get a manicure, but I think I will do it at home.  :-\\

I never heard of that-but I never had a manicure either. I have let my step-daughter do my nails a couple of time. I haven't even worn nail polish is such a long time. I always have had long nails (unless they break-which they do often-but they grow fast) and I used to wear nail polish ALL THE TIME but I stopped because it was a pain in the ass. The one thing my first husband gave me which I really like is a Revlon nail kit. I keep it by my chair in the living room-mainly for the file. I get kinks in my nails that drive me insane and I keep picking at them until there is hardly any nail left. I need to file it so I don't pick at it. Unfortunately, when I was coming up to the office this morning, I hit my finger on the banister and gave me a nick in my nail. So, now I am picking at it. I better go and get the file before I take the entire nail off.

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 07/03/13 at 12:00 pm

I had a pedicure once at a spa but other than that, I've never had a manicure.

Like Cat, I never really took hepatitis into consideration, but never had one because I figured I can save time and money by doing my nails at home.

All I have to do is keep the nails clean (remove the dirt under the cuticles), file or clip, and put on thin coats of nail polish along with a few clear coats for protection.

The problem with me, is that I have a couple of bad habits when it comes to my nails. Thankfully, I've never had a problem with biting my nails, but I do tend to peel them. Fortunately, nail polish tends to help prevent me from peeling so I'm getting better. But another bad habit is not wearing gloves when I do dishes!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/03/13 at 12:11 pm

I had a pedicure once at a spa but other than that, I've never had a manicure.

Like Cat, I never really took hepatitis into consideration, but never had one because I figured I can save time and money by doing my nails at home.

All I have to do is keep the nails clean (remove the dirt under the cuticles), file or clip, and put on thin coats of nail polish along with a few clear coats for protection.

The problem with me, is that I have a couple of bad habits when it comes to my nails. Thankfully, I've never had a problem with biting my nails, but I do tend to peel them. Fortunately, nail polish tends to help prevent me from peeling so I'm getting better. But another bad habit is not wearing gloves when I do dishes!

I never wear gloves either.

Cat

Written By: Tashlovglit on 07/03/13 at 5:59 pm

I never heard of that-but I never had a manicure either. I have let my step-daughter do my nails a couple of time. I haven't even worn nail polish is such a long time. I always have had long nails (unless they break-which they do often-but they grow fast) and I used to wear nail polish ALL THE TIME but I stopped because it was a pain in the ass. The one thing my first husband gave me which I really like is a Revlon nail kit. I keep it by my chair in the living room-mainly for the file. I get kinks in my nails that drive me insane and I keep picking at them until there is hardly any nail left. I need to file it so I don't pick at it. Unfortunately, when I was coming up to the office this morning, I hit my finger on the banister and gave me a nick in my nail. So, now I am picking at it. I better go and get the file before I take the entire nail off.

Cat

Mine break a lot too but they don't take long to grow.

I too have never had a manicure and will never, unless I do it by myself.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/09/13 at 1:45 pm

I got a haircut at the local cosmetology school.  Anyone out there who lives near a school should really try it.  The students are well trained before they are allowed to work on you, and the teachers are within grabbing distance, and it is very inexpensive.  The one here has been in operation for about 25 years so it isn't fly by night.  They have deal days and senior discounts on top of the already low rates, and they do just about everything that pertains to your head.  Check out this price list

Client Price List

Haircuts
Shampoo, Haircut, Blow Dry – $8.00
Shampoo, Haircut, Roller Set – $10.00
Shampoo, Haircut, Curling Iron – $10.00
Haircut, Updo/Flat Iron/Long Hair – $20.00
Mustache Trim – $1.00
Beard Trim – $2.00
Shave – $3.00

Styling
Shampoo, Blow Dry – $6.00
Shampoo, Roller Set – $7.00
Shampoo, Curling Iron – $7.00
Shampoo, Updo/Flat Iron/Long Hair – $15.00
Shampoo and French Braid – $12.00
Corn Row (each) – $3.00

Skin Care
Facial – $8.00
Makeup – $6.00
Wax (eyebrows, lip or chin) – $5.00

Nail Care
Manicure – $7.00
Spa Manicure – $10.00
Hot Oil Manicure – $10.00
French Manicure – $10.00
Pedicure – $15.00
Spa Pedicure – $20.00
French Pedicure – $20.00
Polish Change – $5.00
Paraffin Treatment – $3.00
Soak Off – $5.00
Acrylic/Gels Tips (full set) – $15.00
Acrylic/Gels Fill (full set) – $10.00
Sculpted Tips (full set) – $20.00
Nail Repair (each) – $2.50
Nail Art (full set) – $25.00
Nail Art (each) – $3.00

Hair & Scalp Treatments
Includes shampoo and style
Add $6.00 for haircut

Scalp & Hair Treatment – Nioxin – $10.00 & up
Hair Treatment – Pro-To-Pak – $8.00 & up
Hair Treatment – Cholesterol – $8.00 & up

Coloring
Add $6.00 for haircut

Color Permanent – $20.00 & up
Color Demi/Semi – $20.00 & up
Double Process Full – $40.00 & up
Double Process Retouch – $35.00 & up
Foils – $40.00 & up
Cap Highlight – $40.00 & up

Above colorings include 3 oz. of product
Additional .5 oz. – 3 oz., add $6.00
Additional 3.5 oz. – 6 oz., add $12.00

Permanents
Add $6.00 for haircut

Permanent Wave (short hair) – $25.00 & up
Spiral/Piggy Back Permanent* – $45.00 & up

Each additional perm solution, add $6.00
*Includes two perm solutions if necessary

Relaxers
Add $6.00 for haircut

Straightening – Full – $35.00 & up
Straightening – Retouch – $30.00 & up
Reconstructive Curl – $40.00 & up
Press and Curl – $18.00 & up

Senior citizens receive $2.00 off haircuts on Monday and Wednesday.
Prices are subject to increases depending on the length of hair and the amount of product used. All chemical products used must be supplied by the academy.
Color rinse/mousse – add $1.00 to service

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/13 at 3:02 pm

I got a haircut at the local cosmetology school.  Anyone out there who lives near a school should really try it.  The students are well trained before they are allowed to work on you, and the teachers are within grabbing distance, and it is very inexpensive.  The one here has been in operation for about 25 years so it isn't fly by night.  They have deal days and senior discounts on top of the already low rates, and they do just about everything that pertains to your head.  Check out this price list

Client Price List

Haircuts
Shampoo, Haircut, Blow Dry – $8.00
Shampoo, Haircut, Roller Set – $10.00
Shampoo, Haircut, Curling Iron – $10.00
Haircut, Updo/Flat Iron/Long Hair – $20.00
Mustache Trim – $1.00
Beard Trim – $2.00
Shave – $3.00

Styling
Shampoo, Blow Dry – $6.00
Shampoo, Roller Set – $7.00
Shampoo, Curling Iron – $7.00
Shampoo, Updo/Flat Iron/Long Hair – $15.00
Shampoo and French Braid – $12.00
Corn Row (each) – $3.00

Skin Care
Facial – $8.00
Makeup – $6.00
Wax (eyebrows, lip or chin) – $5.00

Nail Care
Manicure – $7.00
Spa Manicure – $10.00
Hot Oil Manicure – $10.00
French Manicure – $10.00
Pedicure – $15.00
Spa Pedicure – $20.00
French Pedicure – $20.00
Polish Change – $5.00
Paraffin Treatment – $3.00
Soak Off – $5.00
Acrylic/Gels Tips (full set) – $15.00
Acrylic/Gels Fill (full set) – $10.00
Sculpted Tips (full set) – $20.00
Nail Repair (each) – $2.50
Nail Art (full set) – $25.00
Nail Art (each) – $3.00

Hair & Scalp Treatments
Add $6.00 for haircut

Scalp & Hair Treatment – Nioxin – $10.00 & up
Hair Treatment – Pro-To-Pak – $8.00 & up
Hair Treatment – Cholesterol – $8.00 & up

Coloring
Add $6.00 for haircut

Color Permanent – $20.00 & up
Color Demi/Semi – $20.00 & up
Double Process Full – $40.00 & up
Double Process Retouch – $35.00 & up
Foils – $40.00 & up
Cap Highlight – $40.00 & up

Above colorings include 3 oz. of product
Additional .5 oz. – 3 oz., add $6.00
Additional 3.5 oz. – 6 oz., add $12.00

Permanents
Add $6.00 for haircut

Permanent Wave (short hair) – $25.00 & up
Spiral/Piggy Back Permanent* – $45.00 & up

Each additional perm solution, add $6.00
*Includes two perm solutions if necessary

Relaxers
Add $6.00 for haircut

Straightening – Full – $35.00 & up
Straightening – Retouch – $30.00 & up
Reconstructive Curl – $40.00 & up
Press and Curl – $18.00 & up

Senior citizens receive $2.00 off haircuts on Monday and Wednesday.
Prices are subject to increases depending on the length of hair and the amount of product used. All chemical products used must be supplied by the academy.
Color rinse/mousse – add $1.00 to service

My mother used to do that all the time. B.O.C.E.S (Boards of Cooperative Educational Services in NY) is where high school students go to learn a trade. I had a friend in h.s. who went there for cosmology. My mother lived less than a mile from B.O.C.E.S. in her county so she would go to get her hair done. She loved it. In fact, there were many times when she would be a senior's final exam.

Cat

Written By: karen on 07/10/13 at 11:36 am

In the UK it is worth checking out whether a salon has a student night.  This will be for their trainees shortly before they are qualified (most hairdressers do a mix of college and on the job training here)

Written By: karen on 07/19/13 at 4:39 am

Just had my hair cut or rather trimmed.  I hate going because I can never explain what I want.  The cut is sort of right but not quite.  However I can't put into words what I'd like to change about it.  :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 07/19/13 at 5:52 am

Just had my hair cut or rather trimmed.  I hate going because I can never explain what I want.  The cut is sort of right but not quite.  However I can't put into words what I'd like to change about it.  :-\\

Have you tried printing out a picture and bringing showing it to your dresser?

Written By: Katluver on 07/25/13 at 12:59 pm

I recently went to one of those training studios, and I don't think I'll be going back.
With my luck, I was paired up with the least competent girl there.
There was a teacher there, but she spent most of the time in a corner at her desk doing her own thing. She also had a snooty attitude. When I explained to the student that I wanted to get rid of the damage, the teacher asked if I had done anything to my hair recently. When I explained that I had it foiled, she replied that will do it and said it in a way like it was my fault.
I ended up with chunky layers with them being thicker than the base of my hair. I agreed with the cut because I was afraid she'd make it worse or that I'd end up with a short bob. I've figured that I'll just grow it out.
I then was provided a short review to fill out. With her standing over my shoulder, I was too shy to be totally honest so I'm thinking about doing an online review.

Written By: ninny on 07/25/13 at 1:14 pm

My mother used to do that all the time. B.O.C.E.S (Boards of Cooperative Educational Services in NY) is where high school students go to learn a trade. I had a friend in h.s. who went there for cosmology. My mother lived less than a mile from B.O.C.E.S. in her county so she would go to get her hair done. She loved it. In fact, there were many times when she would be a senior's final exam.

Cat

Almost half the hairdressers I go to got there start at BOCES, we have several schools in our area, there are some who have done great work and others not so good.

Written By: karen on 07/26/13 at 5:40 am

Have you tried printing out a picture and bringing showing it to your dresser?

Tried that once or twice but never quite got it right.  I think I'm going to go back and try again with a more detailed explanation.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/13 at 4:53 pm

Ok Sisters, I venture into the "Guy Thread" which I'm sure many of you also do. My question is, WTF are they talking about?  ???  There doesn't seem to be any coherent conversation going on there.

Cat

Written By: ninny on 07/27/13 at 5:00 pm

Ok Sisters, I venture into the "Guy Thread" which I'm sure many of you also do. My question is, WTF are they talking about?  ???  There doesn't seem to be any coherent conversation going on there.

Cat

That's because their guys :D

Written By: danootaandme on 07/27/13 at 6:47 pm

Cat

What did you expect.... ::)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/27/13 at 8:50 pm

I prefer going to the beauty schools over the established salons.  The last time I went to a professional salon (the day before Easter.) I was just rushed through like a piece of cattle. Because I had a few tangled spots, my stylist asked for help from her manager (also a stylist,) So they could both work on tangles and get more customers through.  Manager was a bitch who raked her comb through my head hard, (while the first stylist was trying to be gentle.)  I said "Ow!" a couple times when the manager yanked thru my hair, and she got pissed off and said sarcastically "We could stop this?  You think you can do better?  You can do it yourself!"  I just wanted it finished and to just get out of there, so I said that I wasn't complaining to her when I said "Ouch", it just hurt, that was all.

And for the pleasure of that I had to pay $24 plus tip.  Never again!

I usually have good experiences at beauty schools, I guess you have to go to the right school.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/30/13 at 4:03 pm

Today I went in to buy fake nails and fake nail remover.  At the cash register she asked for an I.D., I said I'm paying cash, she said...no, you need an I.D. to buy the fake nail remover.  What?  Seems they are using the chems in fake nail remover in the production of meth, so now everyone buying fake nail remover is a suspect.  I said no, she said she couldn't sell it to me.  No problem, not her fault, but i would like to know if anyone else has encounter this.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/30/13 at 4:29 pm

Today I went in to buy fake nails and fake nail remover.  At the cash register she asked for an I.D., I said I'm paying cash, she said...no, you need an I.D. to buy the fake nail remover.  What?  Seems they are using the chems in fake nail remover in the production of meth, so now everyone buying fake nail remover is a suspect.  I said no, she said she couldn't sell it to me.  No problem, not her fault, but i would like to know if anyone else has encounter this.

Never wore fake nails in my life. I have been blessed with nails that most woman would die for.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 07/30/13 at 5:17 pm

Never wore fake nails in my life. I have been blessed with nails that most woman would die for.

Cat

I have an unbreakable nail biting habit.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/30/13 at 6:01 pm

I have an unbreakable nail biting habit.

Totally understand. I have been known to bite a nail or two. I pick at them more than I bite them-especially it there is kink in one. Then I pick at it and pick at it and pick at it until there basically is nothing left.  :-\\  But they grow back fairly quickly.

Cat

Written By: Goodogbadog on 07/30/13 at 11:47 pm

Cat

Me too! I have nails as hard as rocks!! As guess what, ever since I was a teen, I've cut my nails short short!  I like to feel with the tips of my fingers. Played the guitar, gave my friends massages, typed a lot, and long nails got in the way of everything! But still, my strong nails are useful in crafts and stuff, even if I don't grow them long. So I've never worn fake nails, but I learned how to do them once upon a time!  Ghastly smell!!  8-P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/13 at 7:48 pm

Me too! I have nails as hard as rocks!! As guess what, ever since I was a teen, I've cut my nails short short!  I like to feel with the tips of my fingers. Played the guitar, gave my friends massages, typed a lot, and long nails got in the way of everything! But still, my strong nails are useful in crafts and stuff, even if I don't grow them long. So I've never worn fake nails, but I learned how to do them once upon a time!  Ghastly smell!!  8-P

I have always typed with my long nails. Way back in the dark ages, I was up to about 50 words a minute on a teletype which is a lot slower than typewriter. Haven't taken a timed test in many years.

I always wanted to play the piano-but no one taught me. I know I could take lessons but I don't cut my nails for no one!!!! 

I used to paint them all the time but now I don't bother-too much of a hassle.

Cat

Written By: Katluver on 08/10/13 at 7:54 pm

Cat

That is very brave and bold of you!  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/13 at 10:30 am

That is very brave and bold of you!  :o

I guess I am just a glutton for punishment.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: karen on 08/12/13 at 5:12 am

I read it

Written By: karen on 08/16/13 at 11:18 am

UTI  >:(

Written By: Dagwood on 08/16/13 at 2:28 pm

Dislike

Written By: Katluver on 08/16/13 at 2:33 pm

How nasty. Hope it goes away--drink lots of water and cranberry juice (that has helped me).

Written By: danootaandme on 08/17/13 at 1:42 am

Ouch.  >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...