inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is that all there is?

Written By: warped on 08/10/13 at 10:32 am

So I'm my 50s now. I was born in the early 60s, enjoyed my childhood. Have seen many amazing events on TV in my lifetime (Neil Armstrong walking on the moon and many others). I've gone through my crazy teenage years and my wild 20s. Had a great job, got married long ago.

What else is there to do?

I look at the world today and it's such a mess and so complex compared to the way it used to be. Pretty much everyone has a busy stressful fast paced life and there is no end to it.  I wake up with daily aches and pains, spouse has daily aches and pains and lots of health issues. 

Honestly I don't give a shyt if the world ended today. I really don't. (no worries here, I won't off myself, I just don't care if life on this planet ended today). If I really think about it, if I knew the world was ending today, I might even smile at the thought.

Anyone else feel this way?

P.S. I don't mean to get anyone depressed, just wonder if people have similar feelings, that they didn't care is the world ended today.

Subject: Re: Is that all there is?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/10/13 at 10:51 am

Wow! How to answer that?

Maybe you are feeling this way because you don't have any goals. I know this world is totally f***ed up. But, if you don't like it-DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! Start small. Maybe volunteer. Visit people in nursing homes-read to them. Or mentor a young person. Pick a cause and fight for it. It is amazing when you give of yourself, your outlook on life changes.

I, too hit a milestone birthday. (Most people know what milestone that is but I have a hard time saying it out loud.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ) I know there are more days behind me than are in front of me and I must admit that it does scare me a bit. I know I was put on this earth for a reason but I have yet to really discover what that reason is. I think what really scares me is that I am going to leave this earth without putting my mark on it. I want people to know that I was here after I am gone. I am a working on creating my "legacy" which I hope will be implemented in the next year or so.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/13 at 11:45 am

It sounds you hit a fork in the road. Like you're asking yourself, "Where do I go from here?"

It also sounds like you might be feeling your age for the first time in your life. Like Cat said, you may have more years behind you than ahead.

As for the world, it's always been screwed up. Why do you think so many people drink or take pills? ;D

Written By: valleyroads on 08/10/13 at 11:47 am

I feel exactly the same way, Warped, you prolly know that already.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/10/13 at 11:48 am

It says on your profile your age is 27. I'm guessing whatever you're feeling has little to do with age?

Written By: warped on 08/10/13 at 12:17 pm

Wow! How to answer that?

Maybe you are feeling this way because you don't have any goals. I know this world is totally f***ed up. But, if you don't like it-DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! Start small. Maybe volunteer. Visit people in nursing homes-read to them. Or mentor a young person. Pick a cause and fight for it. It is amazing when you give of yourself, your outlook on life changes.

I have tried most of this. My interest fades really quick in any of those  :(

Oh yeah, can tell by your posts. Now you probably know why I don`t have encouraging things to tell ya. Sorry.

As for the world, it's always been screwed up. Why do you think so many people drink or take pills? ;D

The world (in some areas) is way more screwed up now than it was 30 or 40 years ago. But yeah, its always been screwed up in many ways.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/10/13 at 1:38 pm

Oh, man, it's so simple. All you have to do is what lots of other men do when they hit their 40's and 50's and all their kids are grown and moved out.

Just get a motorcycle.  8)

You're welcome. For the advice, you owe me 5 loonies, a pound of back bacon, and a case of Moosehead.  ;)

Written By: Paul on 08/10/13 at 4:03 pm

I find this works in easing one's mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

...featuring the most profound lyric in popular song at 01:47 - 01:50!

Written By: Howard on 08/10/13 at 4:27 pm

I'm almost 40 years old and by next year I reach that age and I wonder to myself, What happened to my teen years? ??? I'm more grown up now, I read the newspaper to catch up of what's happening in the news almost every day, I read Yahoo and MSN's news articles and plus I'm computer savvy. I'm rarely depressed even though I should be doing things with friends and family cause I'm more of a house hermit and when I'm home I tend to eat and eat and that makes me feel good.

I would like to make more money but I'm ok with what I have on my plate right now. :)

Written By: gibbo on 08/10/13 at 10:09 pm

I have felt some of what you have described warped. Recently, I came across this clip on youtube of Jackie Evancho.

This kid made me feel that there is hope for this world yet.  She actually made me fully tear up (that's man code for cry).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRmTo44Sve0

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/11/13 at 2:34 am

Every freakin' day, man.  It's called getting old.  It beats the alternative.  AL-B's suggestion of a motorcycle isn't a bad one.  (If you go that route, take whatever motorcycle safety course is offered in your area.)

You've got a spouse, consider talking to her about it.  She might be going through the same thing.

For me, I think I achieved "maturity" when I realized I was no longer responsible for saving the world from itself, and simply gave up.  With no kids (never wanted 'em) and no spouse (used to want one, eventually realized I was better off without one), my job is to eat popcorn and watch the game play out.  I'm somewhere between Leary's "Tune in, turn on, and drop out." and Rand's ficticious John Galt, who, tired of bearing the weight of the world on his shoulders like Atlas, chose to shrug.  Apart from gracefully surrendering the things of youth (to hell with that noise), one of my inspirations has always been National Lampoon's Deteriorata.  (For a song that came out in 1972, 6 years before the personal computer became popular, the part about there being a big future in computer maintenance was downright prophetic.) 

Ey6ugTmCYMk

I am a fluke of the universe.  I have no right to be here.  But I can go placidly amid the noise and waste, because thanks to the big future in computer maintenance, I've come to own a piece thereof.  If the universe is laughing behind my back, at least I made it smile.

tl;dr: Don't try to save the world.  It's probably not worth saving, and even if it was, unless you're a billionaire keeping it on the down-low around here, you can't even begin to save it.  You did your part when you were productive and full of new ideas and actually giving-a-damnness, and now it's time to repent, quit your job (if need be), and slack off.  The world will take care of itself.  You'll get to watch humanity take to the stars on its own power, or you'll get to watch it incinerate itself in an orgy of stupidity and corruption, all the while cackling "I told you so!" and hckling from the sidelines.  Nothing you do either way will change the outcome.  Sit back with a bowl of popcorn and enjoy the second half of the movie.

Back in the arcades, when you'd racked up enough points and were bored of playing, it was good form to walk away from the machine and let someone else learn how to play.  For those games that neither an ending nor an 8-bit-overflow-induced "kill screen", and a single quarter could be played for days, walking away from the machine was pretty much the definition of beating the machine and winning the game.  Congratulations!

Written By: Inertia on 08/11/13 at 5:18 am

I think it is normal to feel that way about the world every now and then. You are just in a rut and need something to inspire you. I would suggest starting a project such as writing or building something.

Written By: warped on 08/11/13 at 5:59 am

Thanks to all for your answers, kind words and suggestions. It does help.  :)

To AL-B I'm not the type to go out and buy a bike and head out on the highway..looking for adventure..in whatever comes my way. But thanks for the offer :)
To Paul:  :) Python  1:47-1:50 !  Warped loves python. 
gibbo: What a remarkable voice she has. Thanks for saying you feel this way sometimes.
foo: You feel that way every freakin day. Glad I'm not alone. Yeah, wife feels the same way too because of her health issues. (She has arthritis, lupus, double vision, epiretinal membrane, low blood count and anxiety/panic issues resulting from the physical health issues). Thank you for your view on life.

Written By: ninny on 08/11/13 at 7:00 am

So I'm my 50s now. I was born in the early 60s, enjoyed my childhood. Have seen many amazing events on TV in my lifetime (Neil Armstrong walking on the moon and many others). I've gone through my crazy teenage years and my wild 20s. Had a great job, got married long ago.

I look at the world today and it's such a mess and so complex compared to the way it used to be. Pretty much everyone has a busy stressful fast paced life and there is no end to it.  I wake up with daily aches and pains, spouse has daily aches and pains and lots of health issues. 

Honestly I don't give a shyt if the world ended today. I really don't. (no worries here, I won't off myself, I just don't care if life on this planet ended today). If I really think about it, if I knew the world was ending today, I might even smile at the thought.

P.S. I don't mean to get anyone depressed, just wonder if people have similar feelings, that they didn't care is the world ended today.

I did till I was blessed with grandkids, they give you a reason to look forward to life,now if their like their mother in another 15-17 years I'll be a Great-Grandma (just kidding ;D)
Now that the kids are grown and when I'm not watching the grandkids I have the freedom to do things more, so that is nice.
My body sometimes feels like I'm in my 60's and everytime I have a pain in the chest I think I'm having a heart attack so that part sucks in getting old.
Sometimes I do lay in bed and think about dying(which is a big fear, not sure why) and how old I'd like to live to.
I hope the world doesn't end tomorrow because I still have(and everyone else here) lots of living to do.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/11/13 at 10:23 am

I don't want this to appear patronizing or paternalist, but it all  sounds like mid life crisis to me.  Been there, done that, but my experience, and the way out was unique to me, so no need to recount.  I'm sure you all will find your own ways out.  I'll just assure you that there is life after 50.  There is also life after 60, take my word for it.  Keep on truckin

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/13 at 11:14 am

I don't want this to appear patronizing or paternalist, but it all  sounds like mid life crisis to me.  Been there, done that, but my experience, and the way out was unique to me, so no need to recount.  I'm sure you all will find your own ways out.  I'll just assure you that there is life after 50.  There is also life after 60, take my word for it.  Keep on truckin

Your way out of your mid-life crisis was hooking up with one of your students who was a bit younger than you.  ;)

Cat

Written By: warped on 08/11/13 at 11:56 am

Your way out of your mid-life crisis was hooking up with one of your students who was a bit younger than you.  ;)

Cat

(Note to self...you already have a University degree..got back to school for 1 year and get your bachelor of Ed...hook up with a student younger than you...must be Asian.)

Got it!  ;)
:D

Written By: Howard on 08/11/13 at 3:52 pm

Every freakin' day, man.  It's called getting old.

It's something we all experience.

Written By: Howard on 08/11/13 at 3:56 pm

My body sometimes feels like I'm in my 60's and everytime I have a pain in the chest I think I'm having a heart attack so that part sucks in getting old.

My body feels younger than yours but I get small pains in my back and all those years of cracking my knuckles and neck for the past 25 years have taken it's toll on me.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/11/13 at 7:17 pm

Believe me, warped, you're not alone in feeling this way. I've had days where I wish I could just die of a heart attack or cancer just to get off of this planet while sparing my family the horror of suicide. (Not to worry, just letting you know that I get the same feelings too once in a while.) TBH, I know I don't share a lot with people here but the truth is that I've been quite depressed over the last several months. Sure it may seem cool to drive around the country in a semi but the reality is that I've been really lonely. I go out and drive for several days all by myself and I come home to an empty house. And although I'm one of those people who can be content in their own company I know that all this isolation and inactivity is not good for me. It's been taking quite a toll on me both physically and mentally. Some days I just don't give a sh!t about anything.

But I've recognized this, and I know that I need to make changes in my life. I moved down to Kansas City from Nebraska 9 years ago, to pursue a job that I thought I could make a career out of. Unfortunately that didn't work out and I feel like I've hit a dead end in my life here, and that's why I decided I'm going to move back to Nebraska at the end of the month so I can be closer to my family. Because if there's one thing I have going for myself, it's that I've been blessed with a wonderful family, and I'm wasting my life down here being away from them.

And the point is that sometimes you have to step back and count your blessings and realize what's important in your life. You're fortunate enough to have found a wonderful wife who loves you and whom you can go home to every night. Not everyone has someone like that in their life and those who do seem truly blessed to me.

Maybe you just feel like there's nothing to look forward to. I can relate to this myself but then I realize that while it may seem that we live in a crazy, f**ked up time, we also live in an amazing and exciting time as well. What kinds of technological wonders await us in the next 10-20 years? And not just that, it may seem that we might be kind of stuck culturally but sooner or later someone or something is going to get us unstuck. There are still plenty of Shakespeares and Bob Dylans and Michaelangelos and John Lennons yet to emerge in the future. And we are living in such a critical juncture in human history that we could very well soon enter either a glorious new epoch or a dystopian nightmare but it's all up in the air right now.

Really, if you step back and look at objectively we're all just living in the middle of a really weird science fiction movie right now.

Aren't you just dying to know how it turns out?  ;)

Written By: valleyroads on 08/12/13 at 1:31 am

Well said, Al, and I have to say that some of what you said (the first line about hoping to die of illness especially) mirrors my life. Karma deserved.

Written By: Howard on 08/12/13 at 7:08 am

And the point is that sometimes you have to step back and count your blessings and realize what's important in your life. You're fortunate enough to have found a wonderful wife who loves you and whom you can go home to every night. Not everyone has someone like that in their life and those who do seem truly blessed to me.

and to know the people around you that supported you throughout the years.

Written By: warped on 08/12/13 at 1:28 pm

Believe me, warped, you're not alone in feeling this way. I've had days where I wish I could just die of a heart attack or cancer just to get off of this planet while sparing my family the horror of suicide.  Some days I just don't give a sh!t about anything.

Yup, feel that way.

You're fortunate enough to have found a wonderful wife who loves you and whom you can go home to every night. Not everyone has someone like that in their life and those who do seem truly blessed to me.

Sometimes the grass isn't always greener (on the other side) when you are married.  ;) 

But I like your post. Karma for it. Thanks.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/13/13 at 2:46 am

That's good to hear.  I'm a couple of decades away from that, and will be lucky if I live long enough to make a 2040s comic like the one depicted below (CLICK ON IT TO SEE IN FULL RESOLUTION), but...

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/196/849/Cpdaq.jpg

Warped, and anyone else going through mid-life crisis or quarter-life crisis, look, there's only a few dozen of us left on this board, everyone reading this needs to click on that long-ass comic strip up there.

It's the story of someone born in 1925, who turned 86 in 2011.  Remembered the depression.  Fought in WW2.  Alcoholism.  Lost a marriage and a family.  Rebooted.  Found another marriage and family.  Still pwning n00bs.  Told enirely in rageface memes.

What would yours look like today?  What would you like it to look like in 20 years?  40?  On your deathbed?

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/13/13 at 10:34 am

Karma for that Foo, great cartoon

Written By: warped on 08/13/13 at 3:11 pm

I read up on mid-life crisis..from wikipedia

Individuals experiencing a midlife crisis have some of these feelings:
1.search of an undefined dream or goal
2. a deep sense of remorse for goals not accomplished
3. a fear of humiliation among more successful colleagues
4. desire to achieve a feeling of youthfulness
5. need to spend more time alone or with certain peers
They exhibit some of these behaviors:
6.abuse of alcohol
7.acquisition of unusual or expensive items such as motorbikes, boats, clothing, sports cars, jewelry, gadgets, tattoos, piercings, etc.
depression
8.having remorse for one's wrongs.
9.paying special attention to physical appearance such as covering baldness, wearing youthful designer clothes, etc.
10.. entering relationships with younger people (whether sexual, professional, parental, etc.)
11. placing overimportance (and possibly a psychologically damaging amount) on their children to excel in areas such as sports, arts, or academics

None of the 11 are "me". Not even one. Guess I am not going through that then.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/13/13 at 10:37 pm

I read up on mid-life crisis..from wikipedia

Skip items 6-11 - they're symptoms and/or poor coping mechanisms.  You, I like you.  You're weird.  You're actually dealing with it rather than trying to hide from the issue behind hookers, blow, hair replacement, Viagra, a Harley, and a Ferrari.

So let's go back to items 1-5 and try to read between the lines.

(And remember though all of this, I'm not being hard on you, I'm just projecting my feelings onto you, because hey, you're on the Internet, and if you really aren't experiencing even a twinge of #1 through #5, that's neat.  What's the thing that's different between all your feels and all my feels, bro?)

1. Spoken like someone who's run out of goals.
2. Are you really sure you're not looking for a goal? (The Wikipedia list sucks.  Items 1 and 2 on the Wikipedia list are really the same damn thing.)

If you're not looking for a goal, that's OK, and probably puts you ahead of most people.  I've made peace with the fact that I'm not going to get to do all things I wanted to do in life.  Not gonna be a fighter pilot, astronaut, fireman, nor even a jet-setting dot-com gazillionaire douchebag.  Ain't gonna happen.  Meh, at least I tried.  Game's over, I did OK.  Now I'm just playing for fun, not for score.

I look at the world today and it's such a mess and so complex compared to the way it used to be.  Pretty much everyone has a busy stressful fast paced life and there is no end to it.

3. How the hell does an automatic transmission work, and why would anyone use one of those FAX machine thingies when they could dictate a letter and have their secretary type it up, said everybody aged 50 in the 1970s.  They walked to school uphill, both ways!  And kids these days, they don't believe a word of it!

(My solution to #3 was #1 and #2:  Drop the goals, and you no longer feel envious of people who might get enough money to buy a fighter jet, let alone a ride to the ISS with two chicks at once to bang in zero gravity.)

I wake up with daily aches and pains, spouse has daily aches and pains and lots of health issues.

4. Nope, this guy has absolutely no desire to achieve a feeling of youthfulness, no sirree.

5. Don't worry, that's why we're here.

http://i.imgur.com/DDkotDe.jpg

"Nine hundred thousand tons of steel
Made to roll
Her brakes don't work and this grade's so steep
Her engine's sure to blow
Nine hundred thousand tons of steel
Out of control
She's more a roller-coaster
Than the train I used to know..."

9m_ZAyEgFsg
- Grateful Dead, (Nine Hundred Thousand) Tons of Steel

Postscript: A cousin of 4004, No. 4014, traveled 1,031,205 miles in its 20 years in service and is being restored to operating condition in Cheyenne, WY.

...which is more than I can say for my fat aging ass!  Sounds like a fun hobby, though.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/13 at 12:56 am

That's good to hear.  I'm a couple of decades away from that, and will be lucky if I live long enough to make a 2040s comic like the one depicted below (CLICK ON IT TO SEE IN FULL RESOLUTION), but...

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/196/849/Cpdaq.jpg

Warped, and anyone else going through mid-life crisis or quarter-life crisis, look, there's only a few dozen of us left on this board, everyone reading this needs to click on that long-ass comic strip up there.

It's the story of someone born in 1925, who turned 86 in 2011.  Remembered the depression.  Fought in WW2.  Alcoholism.  Lost a marriage and a family.  Rebooted.  Found another marriage and family.  Still pwning n00bs.  Told enirely in rageface memes.

What would yours look like today?  What would you like it to look like in 20 years?  40?  On your deathbed?

I'll be 51 in 2040. Jesus Mary and The Easter bunny!!

Written By: Howard on 08/14/13 at 7:10 am

I'll be 51 in 2040. Jesus Mary and The Easter bunny!!

I'll be 66 in 2040.

Written By: warped on 08/14/13 at 7:21 am

Skip items 6-11 - they're symptoms and/or poor coping mechanisms.  You, I like you.  You're weird.  You're actually dealing with it rather than trying to hide from the issue behind hookers, blow, hair replacement, Viagra, a Harley, and a Ferrari.

Foo thinks someone is weird?  :o    Yeah that's me...

"The lunatic is on the grass.
The lunatic is on the grass.
Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs.
Got to keep the loonies on the path.
"    (Pink Floyd..Brain damage)

Did someone say Ferrari? Is it red?  Does it have nice seats?

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/791851944_1/Snowwhite-car-seat-cover-sandwich-free-shipping-automobile-seat-cover-car-accessories.jpg

Seriously yeah, I don't need any of that stuff, doesn't interest me.

So let's go back to items 1-5 and try to read between the lines.

(And remember though all of this, I'm not being hard on you, I'm just projecting my feelings onto you, because hey, you're on the Internet, and if you really aren't experiencing even a twinge of #1 through #5, that's neat.  What's the thing that's different between all your feels and all my feels, bro?)

1. Spoken like someone who's run out of goals.
2. Are you really sure you're not looking for a goal? (The Wikipedia list sucks.  Items 1 and 2 on the Wikipedia list are really the same damn thing.)

If you're not looking for a goal, that's OK, and probably puts you ahead of most people.  I've made peace with the fact that I'm not going to get to do all things I wanted to do in life.  Not gonna be a fighter pilot, astronaut, fireman, nor even a jet-setting dot-com gazillionaire douchebag.  Ain't gonna happen.  Meh, at least I tried.  Game's over, I did OK.  Now I'm just playing for fun, not for score.

Nope, not looking for a goal. Just like you, I was playing just for fun..but now the fun has gone. It's like I was playing Monopoly all my life and it's always been fun...even when I was in that monopoly jail and saw some weird shyt in there, makes me never wanna go to jail in real life.
So anyways..it's like you play the game for 40 years and it's fun, but then the last few years it isn't fun, and now it's no fun. I just wanna get off the monopoly bus coz I'm done with it...and I don't want any other buses to come by...I'm done with it..that's all. I have done all that I can do, and don't wanna do anymore.

"The lunatic is in my head. The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change, You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane.
You lock the door, And throw away the key , There's someone in my head but it's not me.

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear, You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon".

(Pink Floyd..brain damage)

4. Nope, this guy has absolutely no desire to achieve a feeling of youthfulness, no sirree.

Nope, I just wish all these daily aches and pains would stop. Running away and expecting youthfulness is not gonna happen and is unrealistic. I'm in 2013 now (double checks calendar...got it right...woot!), and this is the way warped's 2013 is. I can't take away the arthritis in my back..or my legs..or my knee...or elbow.  I wake up stiff as a board almost everyday. That's reality. The only way for that to stop is to go to the other side...the dark side...and don't wanna go there yet.

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark." (Pink Floyd..Eclipse)

Thanks for your post. I enjoyed reading it.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/13 at 10:28 am

I'll be 66 in 2040.

Easter Bunny!!

Written By: Howard on 08/14/13 at 1:32 pm

Easter Bunny!!

What do you mean by that?  ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/15/13 at 8:06 pm

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/791851944_1/Snowwhite-car-seat-cover-sandwich-free-shipping-automobile-seat-cover-car-accessories.jpg
Seriously yeah, I don't need any of that stuff, doesn't interest me.

"If you can't afford the Ferrari, you can always afford the seat covers..."

Nope, not looking for a goal. Just like you, I was playing just for fun..but now the fun has gone.

Yeah, that I can relate to.  I guess I was trying to say that goals aren't necessarily material or career-based.  Less "bucket list" type stuff and more "ongoing maintenance" type stuff.  My parents are long retired, their goals are to keep themselves as active and healthy as possible at their age, be good neighbors and maintain their network of IRL friends, and watch me (hopefully) enjoy myself during whatever time they've got left to see me enjoy it.

Nope, I just wish all these daily aches and pains would stop. Running away and expecting youthfulness is not gonna happen and is unrealistic.

Ah, good point.  Yeah, that wiki page probably meant "youthfulness" as "the mental feeling that comes with being 20 and still think you're invincible", and I meant "being able to walk around without those aches and pains that come along with getting old."  Hey, welcome to the club, as you already know, it beats the alternative.

Thanks for your post. I enjoyed reading it.

Same here man.  Always down for some Floyd.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/16/13 at 10:00 pm

I vote this thread the third most depressing thread I've ever read in my whole life. ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/17/13 at 2:28 am

I vote this thread the third most depressing thread I've ever read in my whole life. ;D

A5peiLlHdvo

Spoiler alert: After having been cryogenically frozen during a pizza run on Dec. 31, 1999, and waking up in the year 3000, Philip J. Fry ultimately gave up his quest to clone his pet dog, who waited outside his former workplace...

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp270/Conzor69/Scruffy_Futurama.jpg

As in, "now it's the second-most depressing thread."

In 2033, when 44 years old you are, feel the same way you might.  And you'll be as OK with it as we are.  If life is like a video game, it's OK that all games end.  It's not whether you win or lose, it's not even how you played the game.  It's whether you enjoyed the time between "PRESS START" and "GAME OVER" that matters.  Don't be depressed about that.  You hit START a few years ago, and you still have twenty years to be awesome.  GO!

Written By: 80sfan on 08/17/13 at 8:53 pm

A5peiLlHdvo

Spoiler alert: After having been cryogenically frozen during a pizza run on Dec. 31, 1999, and waking up in the year 3000, Philip J. Fry ultimately gave up his quest to clone his pet dog, who waited outside his former workplace...

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp270/Conzor69/Scruffy_Futurama.jpg

As in, "now it's the second-most depressing thread."

In 2033, when 44 years old you are, feel the same way you might.  And you'll be as OK with it as we are.  If life is like a video game, it's OK that all games end.  It's not whether you win or lose, it's not even how you played the game.  It's whether you enjoyed the time between "PRESS START" and "GAME OVER" that matters.  Don't be depressed about that.  You hit START a few years ago, and you still have twenty years to be awesome.  GO!

Are you over 35? As a 24 year old (25 in November), I don't think 40 is old.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/13 at 7:09 am

40 is considered the prime of life.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/19/13 at 8:25 pm

Well then, let's just say I'm slightly past my prime.

Back to the existential angst thing, everyone from 1920s paint barons to 1960s poets to 2010s googlers runs into this sort of feeling at some point in their lives and careers. The more I think about it, the more I realize it's perfectly normal at any age, as well as in any age.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/19/13 at 8:50 pm

"If you can't afford the Ferrari, you can always afford the seat covers..."

See, I heard chicks like guys who ride motorcycles.  Well, I can't afford a motorcycle, so I'm going to get me a motorcycle helmet.  You go to the bar carrying the helmet and start chatting up a hot chick about your cool bike.  Then when you go out to show her the bike, you walk to a vacant space and exclaim, "Aw sh*t, somebody stole my bike, man!  Can you give me a ride back to my apartment?"  It won't get me an LTR, but it might get me a pity **** and that's goodnuff 4 me!

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/19/13 at 10:41 pm

I agree.

I'm one of the oldest people here (67), and I can't figure out what the hell is wrong with you young pups.  I've never been rich in $$$, been poor (sort of), but for goddess sake I've always found life worth living, and always found something to look forward to.  In some ways I guess the goddess has been kind to me, but maybe that's because I have a positive attitude and am a free spirit.  You guys need to stop and smell the roses

Written By: warped on 08/20/13 at 6:17 am

As written in my first post, "I don't mean to get anyone depressed, just wonder if people have similar feelings, that they didn't care is the world ended today."

I just wanted to know if people had similar feelings at times, that they didn't care is the world ended today...that's all.

Not my intention to start a depressing thread.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/13 at 7:15 am

See, I heard chicks like guys who ride motorcycles.  Well, I can't afford a motorcycle, so I'm going to get me a motorcycle helmet.  You go to the bar carrying the helmet and start chatting up a hot chick about your cool bike.  Then when you go out to show her the bike, you walk to a vacant space and exclaim, "Aw sh*t, somebody stole my bike, man!  Can you give me a ride back to my apartment?"  It won't get me an LTR, but it might get me a pity **** and that's goodnuff 4 me!

so you're willing to lie to a woman to get pity sex?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/20/13 at 7:16 am

As written in my first post, "I don't mean to get anyone depressed, just wonder if people have similar feelings, that they didn't care is the world ended today."

I just wanted to know if people had similar feelings at times, that they didn't care is the world ended today...that's all.

Not my intention to start a depressing thread.

No I don't think about it. I try not to, that's why I pray before bed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/20/13 at 8:41 am

I agree.

I'm one of the oldest people here (67), and I can't figure out what the hell is wrong with you young pups.  I've never been rich in $$$, been poor (sort of), but for goddess sake I've always found life worth living, and always found something to look forward to.  In some ways I guess the goddess has been kind to me, but maybe that's because I have a positive attitude and am a free spirit.  You guys need to stop and smell the roses

Or maybe you just found the Goddess that made your life worth living.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/20/13 at 10:14 pm

Cat

Partly....but on the other hand...and even in my darkest hour I knew things would get better and that life was worth living

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/20/13 at 11:25 pm

I agree.

Your age gives perspective that we not-quite-that-old folks don't have.  (My parents are happier with their lives than I was... and 20 years ago, they were the miserable ones and I was the optimist.  If I make it to 67, I hope I wind up happier than I am now.) 

Plus, are you still working 9-5 at some crap job trying to make ends meet or unlock some financial achievement?  (I hope not, at that age!)  If you're retired or even semi-retired, that's a huge advantage to happiness.  The thing that pisses me the most off about my profession, namely tech, is that it was supposed to liberate us from work.  I've got (most of) mine, Jack, and I'm OK with the bargain I've made, but I'm counting the days/dollars until I hit the number that lets me write a resignation letter and walk away from doing it for pay for the rest of my life.  If I want to work with tech, I'll find a project on GitHub and do it for the fun of it, not for pay. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph9I-qPQ6FU

When it comes to economics, we may be mostly at opposing ends of the spectrum, but I think we can both agree that wage slavery sucks.  If that's all there is, then the right thing to do is quit.  Whether you phrase that as retirement, a shrugging atlas, or a worker of the world throwing off his/her chains, doesn't really matter.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/13 at 8:15 am

Partly....but on the other hand...and even in my darkest hour I knew things would get better and that life was worth living

some people just have to have faith in themselves.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/21/13 at 11:38 pm

(Er, sorry, Carlos, I have to do this.)

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120317125511/subgenius/images/8/8d/Principia_Discordia_yellow_cover.jpg

But seriously, folks, if you need a pick-me-up, or just a blast from the distant past, read the Principia Discordia.  Specifically the one-page Sermon on Ethics and Love.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/13 at 12:19 am

I agree.

Yeah, the kids nowy-days don't stop and smell the roses.  They take a picture of the roses with their smartphones and post it on Facebook.  And then their friends, they say to themselves, "Hey, I ain't got no roses!  I must be some kind of loser.  I should go shoot myself!"

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/22/13 at 1:14 am

Yeah, the kids nowy-days don't stop and smell the roses.  They take a picture of the roses with their smartphones and post it on Facebook.  And then their friends, they say to themselves, "Hey, I ain't got no roses!  I must be some kind of loser.  I should go shoot myself!"

True.  The more we see the humblebragging douchebro curated selves that our friends post on social networks, the less likely we are to be happy, as the following article (which links to a study from Stanford) suggests: The Anti-Social Network: By helping other people look happy, Facebook is making us sad.

Written By: valleyroads on 08/22/13 at 2:31 am

Could be that I'm going through a quarter-life crisis... after each birthday I've had the past few years, I look at what people my age have been able to do, and feel really bad about how assorted factors kept me from having a normal childhood, from seeking early psychiatric intervention, from being bullied to the point of almost ten suicide attempts in the past ten years or so, from having a normal young-adulthood, etc., and which are most likely keeping me single, increasingly alone, and in Eugene for the rest of what would be and kind of is currently a miserable life.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/13 at 7:58 am

that's what kids these days do nowadays, post everything on stupid Facebook or Twitter.  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/22/13 at 8:16 am

that's what kids these days do nowadays, post everything on stupid Facebook or Twitter.  ::)

Or Inthe00s?

Cat

Written By: warped on 08/22/13 at 12:13 pm

Or Inthe00s?

Cat

:o

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/13 at 12:19 pm

Posting items that can be read the whole world over.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/22/13 at 8:23 pm

Or Inthe00s?

Cat

Wait, "post everything on stupid inthe00s" vs "post everything stupid on inthe00s?"  Because I'm pretty good at the second one!

Written By: Howard on 08/23/13 at 7:54 am

Wait, "post everything on stupid inthe00s" vs "post everything stupid on inthe00s?"  Because I'm pretty good at the second one!

the first one.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/28/13 at 8:26 pm

Your age gives perspective that we not-quite-that-old folks don't have.  (My parents are happier with their lives than I was... and 20 years ago, they were the miserable ones and I was the optimist.  If I make it to 67, I hope I wind up happier than I am now.) 

Plus, are you still working 9-5 at some crap job trying to make ends meet or unlock some financial achievement?  (I hope not, at that age!)  If you're retired or even semi-retired, that's a huge advantage to happiness.  The thing that pisses me the most off about my profession, namely tech, is that it was supposed to liberate us from work.  I've got (most of) mine, Jack, and I'm OK with the bargain I've made, but I'm counting the days/dollars until I hit the number that lets me write a resignation letter and walk away from doing it for pay for the rest of my life.  If I want to work with tech, I'll find a project on GitHub and do it for the fun of it, not for pay. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph9I-qPQ6FU

When it comes to economics, we may be mostly at opposing ends of the spectrum, but I think we can both agree that wage slavery sucks.  If that's all there is, then the right thing to do is quit.  Whether you phrase that as retirement, a shrugging atlas, or a worker of the world throwing off his/her chains, doesn't really matter.

To start:

Yes, wage labor sucks, but unfortunately most of us have to endure it for a good portion of our lives.  I chose a field (as did you) that I thought would be rewarding in its own right, and for me I was right, mostly because no two semesters were ever the same, and the kids kept me on my toes.  Getting to that spot, well, that's another story, but I can very much understand hating one's job.  As to the finances, we're doing ok, so that makes life easy.  I feel for those who may be forces to live on just Soc Sec. 

But still, you youngsters need to lighten up.  There is lots of LIFE out there.  Maybe you all need to find something other that the internet  to occupy yous spare time.  Ever go fishing?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/13 at 9:08 pm

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/30/13 at 9:26 pm

To start:

Yes, wage labor sucks, but unfortunately most of us have to endure it for a good portion of our lives.  I chose a field (as did you) that I thought would be rewarding in its own right, and for me I was right, mostly because no two semesters were ever the same, and the kids kept me on my toes.  Getting to that spot, well, that's another story, but I can very much understand hating one's job.  As to the finances, we're doing ok, so that makes life easy.  I feel for those who may be forces to live on just Soc Sec. 

But still, you youngsters need to lighten up.  There is lots of LIFE out there.  Maybe you all need to find something other that the internet  to occupy yous spare time.  Ever go fishing?

In case you're not getting enough mercury in your diet!

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/30/13 at 10:30 pm

This.  Nobody should confuse their job with their identity.  Even - and perhaps especially - for technical people, at the end of the day that hot new startup, even if it culminates in a successful exit, is going to be obsolete within 10-20 years.  Enjoy the run while it lasts, and save what you can, because it almost never lasts forever.

Life outside the Internet? That's not phishing, that's trolling! :)

http://www.virtualhappiness.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/maslow-internet-usage.png

But yeah, you raise a good point about patience.

When you're a kid, fishing usually sucks.  You sit on the dock all day and never catch a damn thing.  The moments when you get a nibble are frustrating, and if you're lucky enough to catch something, it's worth it.  What you don't realize at that age is that this is what the rest of your life is going to be like: years of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer exhiliration.

When you're a young adult, fishing's EPIC. You don't need to catch a fish, nor even a rod or a reel. You sit on the dock all day and drink beer!

When you're an adult, fishing's perfect.  You sit on the same dock all day, you drink less beer, but it's good beer, and you drink it more slowly.  It doesn't matter whether you catch the fish or not, because the fish will be there net time, and so will you.

Whether we're talking about actual fish you can eat, or finishing all the DLC in Skyrim, doesn't really matter.  As you get older, you learn to appreciate leisure more.  A person cannot consume more than he or she produces; at some point you realize you can't take it with you, you shrug, and you consume whatever wealth you've built up over your life.  Whether you spend it on providing for your family, or whether you swapped out the family for the opportunity to take the rest of your life off early, doesn't really matter in the end, as long as you get a reward from what you spend it on.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/02/13 at 5:53 pm

This.  Nobody should confuse their job with their identity.  Even - and perhaps especially - for technical people, at the end of the day that hot new startup, even if it culminates in a successful exit, is going to be obsolete within 10-20 years.  Enjoy the run while it lasts, and save what you can, because it almost never lasts forever.

Life outside the Internet? That's not phishing, that's trolling! :)

http://www.virtualhappiness.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/maslow-internet-usage.png

But yeah, you raise a good point about patience.

When you're a kid, fishing usually sucks.  You sit on the dock all day and never catch a damn thing.  The moments when you get a nibble are frustrating, and if you're lucky enough to catch something, it's worth it.  What you don't realize at that age is that this is what the rest of your life is going to be like: years of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer exhiliration.

When you're a young adult, fishing's EPIC. You don't need to catch a fish, nor even a rod or a reel. You sit on the dock all day and drink beer!

When you're an adult, fishing's perfect.  You sit on the same dock all day, you drink less beer, but it's good beer, and you drink it more slowly.  It doesn't matter whether you catch the fish or not, because the fish will be there net time, and so will you.

Whether we're talking about actual fish you can eat, or finishing all the DLC in Skyrim, doesn't really matter.  As you get older, you learn to appreciate leisure more.  A person cannot consume more than he or she produces; at some point you realize you can't take it with you, you shrug, and you consume whatever wealth you've built up over your life.  Whether you spend it on providing for your family, or whether you swapped out the family for the opportunity to take the rest of your life off early, doesn't really matter in the end, as long as you get a reward from what you spend it on.

Yup

Check for new replies or respond here...