inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you happy about getting older?

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/30/13 at 1:49 pm

We all know that getting older is inevitable and it must happen to EVERYONE. No one can escape! Well, I have a birthday coming up and I will be 33. I have to say, I am very proud of my age and I like to bring it up and talk about it any chance I get, hehe. But it's true, just the thought of being a year older is very fun and exciting to me...and I am thinking, maybe I'm strange? I feel as if I am the only one in this entire world who actually enjoys having another birthday, and is proud of getting older.

I envy my parents! lol. In a good way of course. They are in their 50s...and I feel that is a really good age to be. They are always telling me how there are many changes that comes with getting older. But, I don't care about any of that. I just feel that it must be some kind of awesome to be slightly past being half of a century old! And every time I have a birthday I like to joke how I am almost getting there, and catching up to my elders even though I know I have a long way to go.  :)

I'm wondering if there are others here that feel the same way or not. And if I am strange you can tell me! I don't mind at all!

Subject: Re: Are you happy about getting older?

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/30/13 at 3:13 pm

Getting older sure as hell beats the alternative, however, once you get to a certain age and you KNOW you have less and less time, it's a bit scarier

Written By: Howard on 08/30/13 at 3:58 pm

I love getting older, back when I was growing up I never thought of getting into my 30's but now I'm going to be 40 years old, I'm more into reading what's happening in the newspaper around the world, getting information and knowledge from various news articles. I also feel that I have a bit more energy maybe it's because I drink a lot of coffee. ;D

Written By: warped on 08/30/13 at 4:08 pm

(When I'm 64 ~ Beatles)

"When I get older losing my hair, Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine, Birthday greetings bottle of wine?

If I'd been out till quarter to three, Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, When I'm sixty-four?"

In a way, it's alright..just part of life. When I was in my 20s I could do anything and felt like I knew everything. Now I cant do much and figured out when I was in my 20s and thought I knew everything, life experience has taught me that I knew nothing in my 20s.  ;D

I hope I have acquired some wisdom over the years, tried to maintain my strengths and work on my weaknesses (they are many)

Age 64 is pretty much only 13 years away...so

"Send me a postcard, drop me a line,
Stating point of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, Wasting Away.
"

;)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/13 at 5:07 pm

(When I'm 64 ~ Beatles)

"When I get older losing my hair, Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine, Birthday greetings bottle of wine?

If I'd been out till quarter to three, Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, When I'm sixty-four?"

In a way, it's alright..just part of life. When I was in my 20s I could do anything and felt like I knew everything. Now I cant do much and figured out when I was in my 20s and thought I knew everything, life experience has taught me that I knew nothing in my 20s.  ;D

I hope I have acquired some wisdom over the years, tried to maintain my strengths and work on my weaknesses (they are many)

Age 64 is pretty much only 13 years away...so

"Send me a postcard, drop me a line,
Stating point of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, Wasting Away.
"

;)

Come on, that can't be true. You knew something and maybe more than you give yourself credit for back then. It's just you know more now!

Written By: warped on 08/30/13 at 6:34 pm

Come on, that can't be true. You knew something and maybe more than you give yourself credit for back then. It's just you know more now!

There is some truth there. Back then I thought I knew "Everything", and man I was way off on that. Of course I knew some things..but I learned through difficult and challenging  life experiences that there was so much I thought I knew but ended up I didn't.

Now I think I know "something", and that's just about right.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/30/13 at 7:04 pm

I'm 62 and don't have a problem with it.  I had some sucky times, but I had some great times and did some off the wall things.  I pretty much lived me a life, and even though there are some things I may have done different I wouldn't go back and change it.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/30/13 at 7:38 pm

My parents are considered old by most standards. My dad will be 71 in January. And my mom turned 64 in April.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/30/13 at 9:24 pm

Yeah.  As I get older, I realize only a few things matter, and even fewer things matter very much.  Mortality doesn't scare me.  I'd like to see the last season of "Breaking Bad," but my calendar's pretty open if the Grim Reaper wants to show up after that.
8)

Written By: snozberries on 08/31/13 at 12:35 am

Getting older sure as hell beats the alternative, however, once you get to a certain age and you KNOW you have less and less time, it's a bit scarier

This.

I hate getting older but mostly I'm least excited about the prospect of being old.

My body is already failing me.  :-\\
But it sure does beat the alternative.

Written By: snozberries on 08/31/13 at 12:38 am

No it's true. There's a certain clarity that comes in your 40s that make you realize what a dumbass  and how naive you were I. Your twenties.  Lemme k ow when you say 43.  You'll see  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/13 at 1:33 am

No it's true. There's a certain clarity that comes in your 40s that make you realize what a dumbass  and how naive you were I. Your twenties.  Lemme k ow when you say 43.  You'll see  ;D

I'll reply to this again in 19 years. ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 08/31/13 at 4:43 am

No it's true. There's a certain clarity that comes in your 40s that make you realize what a dumbass  and how naive you were in Your twenties.  Lemme know when you're say 43.  You'll see  ;D

Straight Up!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/31/13 at 4:34 pm

My parents are considered old by most standards. My dad will be 71 in January. And my mom turned 64 in April.

My Father will be 72 in October and My Mother just turned 68

Written By: Howard on 08/31/13 at 4:36 pm

I'm more computer savvy, I got it from My Father who is like a computer guru, he self taught himself how to use the computer and passed it on to me.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/31/13 at 10:12 pm

Have to agree with this 100%. In the past couple of years, I've also come to the realization that life is too short to waste my time worrying about what others think of me. As a result, I've "found my voice" and pretty much say whatever is on my mind, whereas in the past, I'd usually keep it to myself.

Now, on the downside, like snoz said, my body has started to fail me....and I mean REALLY fail me. I have constant tinnitus in both ears, low pressure glaucoma in both eyes, and a whole host of other health issues that are affecting my quality of life :(

Written By: Howard on 09/01/13 at 3:57 pm

Have to agree with this 100%. In the past couple of years, I've also come to the realization that life is too short to waste my time worrying about what others think of me.

I agree with this too, I also think I waste time by people judging me by the way I look and what I wear. It's none of their business.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/01/13 at 8:40 pm

I'll reply to this again in 19 years. ;D

The board'll probably still be here, so bookmark this thread and the one that inspired it, just in case.

The worst part about getting older is realizing you'll probably never run as far, learn as fast, or even appreciate new types of music the way you did when you were younger.  The best part about getting older is realizing it doesn't matter, and that thanks to the Internet, you can still be sorta with it, even after they've changed what "it" was, and what you're with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary at first glance.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/01/13 at 9:35 pm

My mom and dad are both 67.  My mom is 3 months older than my dad.  :)
And I'm turning 37 this Saturday so I'm not that old.  ;D

Written By: Love Triangle on 09/01/13 at 9:49 pm

The board'll probably still be here, so bookmark this thread and the one that inspired it, just in case.

The worst part about getting older is realizing you'll probably never run as far, learn as fast, or even appreciate new types of music the way you did when you were younger.  The best part about getting older is realizing it doesn't matter, and that thanks to the Internet, you can still be sorta with it, even after they've changed what "it" was, and what you're with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary at first glance.

The upside to not being with "it", is that your appreciation for what you grew up with increases. You tend to be more gracious for what you had when you had "it".

Written By: Howard on 09/02/13 at 7:16 am

It's being more knowledgeable in life now that you used to when you were growing up.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/02/13 at 5:05 pm

The worst part about getting older is realizing you'll probably never run as far, learn as fast, or even appreciate new types of music the way you did when you were younger. 

Dancing...I miss being able to dance with abandon, but I have the memories, and a vivid imagination  :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/02/13 at 5:49 pm

Have to agree with this 100%. In the past couple of years, I've also come to the realization that life is too short to waste my time worrying about what others think of me. As a result, I've "found my voice" and pretty much say whatever is on my mind, whereas in the past, I'd usually keep it to myself.

Now, on the downside, like snoz said, my body has started to fail me....and I mean REALLY fail me. I have constant tinnitus in both ears, low pressure glaucoma in both eyes, and a whole host of other health issues that are affecting my quality of life :(

Being 67 I find this interesting

Written By: Howard on 09/02/13 at 6:55 pm

Dancing...I miss being able to dance with abandon, but I have the memories, and a vivid imagination  :)

I miss dancing too.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/13 at 6:57 pm

As I get older I can still remember my childhood growing up of what it used to be watching my favorite children's television programs like Sesame Street, Mister Rogers Neighborhood and The Electric Company. But thanks to Youtube I can go back and relive those memories.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/13 at 7:31 pm

That's if a nuclear holocaust or a robot apocalypse doesn't happen.

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/small/0912/nuclear-holocaust-nuclear-atomic-holly9000-demotivational-poster-1260237666.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/03/13 at 2:32 am

That's if a nuclear holocaust or a robot apocalypse doesn't happen.

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/small/0912/nuclear-holocaust-nuclear-atomic-holly9000-demotivational-poster-1260237666.jpg

Naw, the Russians and Chinese don't really want to nuke us, and we don't really want to nuke them. We might lose a city or two in the unlikely (maybe 5% in the next 10 years) event that some non-state actors manage to burn a city, but it's not going to the the end of civilization. The worst-case damage to the US will be comparable to two or three Hurricane Katrinas. A million people (out of a population of 300,000,000) will have a sucky month or two, and a few million people unlucky enough to live within 1000 miles of the perpetrators will be turned to vapor, but it won't be a civilization-ending event. It'll probably be one of the greatest investment opportunities of a generation: if the bad guys manage to nuke any western, Chinese, or Russian target, buy stocks a week after the market reopens, and use the profits a year or two later to buy real estate downwind of the blast sites.

I can't promise you're safe against the robots taking all the jobs, though.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/04/13 at 1:46 pm

Being 67 I find this interesting
Why? Because I'm saying "life's too short" and I'm only 42 or because I've always been fairly outspoken on here?

I should actually clarify what I meant by that statement....
Over the past few years, there have been a few deaths in our community...some were kids and others were parents of kids who weren't much older than me. I've also dealt with some pretty serious health issues and it's made me realize that life is too short to spend the rest of it worrying about what others think of me. While I've never really had a problem expressing myself in writing, I've always had serious issues with "face-to-face" interaction. Working where I do has helped me get over that, partially because I deal with the public and partially because I've been somewhat successful and have been "promoted" over people that have been there longer. It's primarily a friendship I developed with a "friend of a friend" on Facebook (we went to rival high schools and vaguely knew each other, but were never really "friends") that has been the greatest influence, though. She has been the one who has really taught me to just "accept myself, faults and all....and if someone doesn't like it, eff 'em".

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/04/13 at 2:28 pm

Why? Because I'm saying "life's too short" and I'm only 42 or because I've always been fairly outspoken on here?

I should actually clarify what I meant by that statement....
Over the past few years, there have been a few deaths in our community...some were kids and others were parents of kids who weren't much older than me. I've also dealt with some pretty serious health issues and it's made me realize that life is too short to spend the rest of it worrying about what others think of me. While I've never really had a problem expressing myself in writing, I've always had serious issues with "face-to-face" interaction. Working where I do has helped me get over that, partially because I deal with the public and partially because I've been somewhat successful and have been "promoted" over people that have been there longer. It's primarily a friendship I developed with a "friend of a friend" on Facebook (we went to rival high schools and vaguely knew each other, but were never really "friends") that has been the greatest influence, though. She has been the one who has really taught me to just "accept myself, faults and all....and if someone doesn't like it, eff 'em".
yAY Mama!!!!

I have developed that same sort of attitude, after watching my mother be other people's rug (and I became the one who stood up for her, since she couldn't).  I decided never to allow it to happen to me!  Still I always am my families best advocate, and then myself!  I will let people walk on me to save others!  But you can bet your Bonnie's ass that I will stand up when it is through!

Like it or not, here I am!!! 

Written By: Howard on 09/04/13 at 7:44 pm

As I got older I've learned to accept things the way they are and the way they should be. And also to be surrounded by positive people, people who lift your spirits and make you laugh and cry and can share feelings with.  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/04/13 at 7:58 pm

My attitude is life is too short to worry about getting older.  :D I won't worry about my age until I hit 40 in 2016.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/13 at 10:22 pm

My attitude is life is too short to worry about getting older.  :D I won't worry about my age until I hit 40 in 2016.

The second 20 goes by a hell of a lot faster than the first 20, and the third 20 faster still!
:o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/04/13 at 10:42 pm

The second 20 goes by a hell of a lot faster than the first 20, and the third 20 faster still!

I know.  That's why I'm not worried about it.  I was worried about turning 30 until I reached it.  So turning 40 should be a cinch.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/05/13 at 7:00 am

You got plenty of time to worry.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/05/13 at 7:01 am

I know.  That's why I'm not worried about it.  I was worried about turning 30 until I reached it.  So turning 40 should be a cinch.  :)

I was worried about my 30's, now I can't believe I'm going into my 40's. Where does the time go? :o

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/05/13 at 11:46 pm

Truth.  I've found that life passes logarithmically.  The difference between 0 and 5 is outgrowing boobs and being able to words.  It's not until you've doubled your age to 10 that you've figured out words and have presence of mind to question that first decision.  It's not until you've doubled your age again, to age 20, that you know everything BOOBS worth knowing BOOBS about everything BOOBS.  Your next age-doubling is from 20-40, during which you settle into an adult lifestyle (appreciating boobs is part of that lifestyle but it's only one part), and can actually get some useful work done.  After 40 and on through 80, you've made your important career and life decisions, if you were going to change the world you would probably have already done so, and although you've most of the boobs you're gonna see outside of a monitor screen, you're OK with that.  Nobody's gone deep enough into the 80-160 level to tell us how it plays out.

The idea of a whole school year (ten whole months?!?) once felt like an eternity.  Homework due tomorrow.  In college, the idea of four whole years was madness (but summer vacation was four months long!), and at least "years" counted for something, you were first/second/third/fourth year.  Assignments rarely lasted more than a week.  Then I blinked and discovered I'd been at the same job for 2 years.  Projects lasted for months.  Then 4 years.  Then 10+ years.  Products, whole technologies have been developed and obsoleted in that timeframe.  When I punch out of the working life with the intention of slacking off for the rest of my life, I hope to do so early enough that I'll *blink* and discover 20-30 years have gone by without even noticing and we finally landed a human on Mars or started that damn moon colony I read about when I was still doing homework.

Written By: warped on 09/06/13 at 6:52 am

Almost exponentially. It almost feels like the third "20" (and I'm passed half way on that) has gone by quicker than just a few months when I was 14 or 15.  Like the blink of an eye.

That's probably why, was I was a teen in 1978...1976 felt like ages ago in 1978.
Now 1998 feels like "yesterday" when I'm 2013.

I have a completely different view on life than when I was 20, 30, or even 40 or age 45. If I live much longer I am sure I will look at life differently when I'm in my 60s, than how I do now.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/06/13 at 10:40 am

I'm nearing 70 (can't believe that) and we're still havin fun

Written By: Howard on 09/06/13 at 4:01 pm

I'm nearing 70 (can't believe that) and we're still havin fun

I can't believe I'm going to be 40 next year.  :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/06/13 at 10:02 pm

I can't believe I'm going to be 40 next year.  :o

I turn 40 in 2016 and like I said I'm not too worried about turning 40 because I was worried about turning 30 until I reached it.  :) And like I said "Life is too short to worry about getting older.  It's all in your attitude.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/07/13 at 3:59 pm

I turn 40 in 2016 and like I said I'm not too worried about turning 40 because I was worried about turning 30 until I reached it.  :) And like I said "Life is too short to worry about getting older.  It's all in your attitude.  :)

and in my 40's I'm going to have to get my prostate and maybe a colonoscopy checked. or is it too early yet? ???

Written By: Howard on 09/07/13 at 4:00 pm

and when you get older, people call you "sir or ma'am".

Written By: warped on 09/07/13 at 9:13 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!! (just read it now)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/13 at 11:09 pm

Truth.  I've found that life passes logarithmically.  The difference between 0 and 5 is outgrowing boobs and being able to words.  It's not until you've doubled your age to 10 that you've figured out words and have presence of mind to question that first decision.  It's not until you've doubled your age again, to age 20, that you know everything BOOBS worth knowing BOOBS about everything BOOBS.  Your next age-doubling is from 20-40, during which you settle into an adult lifestyle (appreciating boobs is part of that lifestyle but it's only one part), and can actually get some useful work done.  After 40 and on through 80, you've made your important career and life decisions, if you were going to change the world you would probably have already done so, and although you've most of the boobs you're gonna see outside of a monitor screen, you're OK with that.  Nobody's gone deep enough into the 80-160 level to tell us how it plays out.

Does that have something to do with why John D. Rockefeller died at the breast of his wet nurse?

1 (.)(.)

Okay, he wasn't 100, but close enough!
:)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/08/13 at 3:50 am

(.)(.)

Whether you're a spry 72 or a round 100, if you've seen one pair, want to see 'em all. 

Speaking of which, it occurs to me that there I've seen lots of spry 72s, but I've never seen a round 100.  Next time you go for a walk, look around.  There are old people, and there are fat people, but there are very few old fat people.  Even if your walk takes you past the nursing home, it's only the scrawny ones who make it anywhere near the century mark.

The #1 argument for losing weight isn't that exercise feels good.  It's that if you start now, and waste an hour a day taking a walk over the next 20 years (365*20 = 7300 hours wasted, and 7300/24 works out to 304 days over the next two decades), it'll almost certainly extend your healthy lifespan by more than ten months.  Probably the worst thing that can happen is you live another 5-10 years and outlive your savings; a meager 500-1000% return (10-12% annualized, risk-free!) on your time investment.

The #1 argument against losing weight is that if you spend an hour a day walking to extend your lifespan by 5-10 years, it means you'll also have to spend walking, you have to spend another 3-4 years at that damn day job before you can retire without having to worry about your money running out before you die.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/08/13 at 2:03 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!! (just read it now)

Thank you.  :) 

My attitude about getting older is I know I'm always going to be 2 months older than my friend so that makes me happy.  ;D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/08/13 at 2:33 pm

Almost exponentially. It almost feels like the third "20" (and I'm passed half way on that) has gone by quicker than just a few months when I was 14 or 15.  Like the blink of an eye.

That's probably why, was I was a teen in 1978...1976 felt like ages ago in 1978.
Now 1998 feels like "yesterday" when I'm 2013.

I have a completely different view on life than when I was 20, 30, or even 40 or age 45. If I live much longer I am sure I will look at life differently when I'm in my 60s, than how I do now.

That's a (sad) thing I am already observing being in my late 20s. Maybe not that extensively yet, but I can perfectly understand what you mean. 2000-2005, so age 14-19 was like ages - well, even 2002-2004. However it's unbelievable how time flies since I turned 23 or so. Probably everything since 2009 feels like yesterday. When I was younger it was easy to assign a date to a lot of events I have experienced - I always knew exactly in which year and month I have bought or done certain things, but this gets harder and harder the older I get.

Written By: warped on 09/08/13 at 3:32 pm

That's a (sad) thing I am already observing being in my late 20s. Maybe not that extensively yet, but I can perfectly understand what you mean. 2000-2005, so age 14-19 was like ages - well, even 2002-2004. However it's unbelievable how time flies since I turned 23 or so. Probably everything since 2009 feels like yesterday. When I was younger it was easy to assign a date to a lot of events I have experienced - I always knew exactly in which year and month I have bought or done certain things, but this gets harder and harder the older I get.

It is a sad reality, and sad to inform you that time will go by even quicker.  ;)
I guess you can understand a little why I think 1998 is just yesterday for me, and I understand why for a young person as you or even younger than you, that 2008 is like long time ago.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/08/13 at 3:40 pm

and I understand why for a young person as you or even younger than you, that 2008 is like long time ago.

2008 is not really a long time ago for me - and that's what I am realizing now.
But in 2008, 2003 felt like a long time ago, when I was 17 vs. 22.

However I agree with you that 1998 is a very long time ago to me, because that year was not part of my adult life yet.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/13 at 3:47 pm

Thank you.  :) 

My attitude about getting older is I know I'm always going to be 2 months older than my friend so that makes me happy.  ;D

My attitude is another day older and deeper in debt.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/13 at 3:48 pm

and when you get older you lose your hair and get man boobs. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/08/13 at 6:54 pm

and when you get older you lose your hair and get man boobs. ;D

Maybe you do.  :P

Written By: Dagwood on 09/08/13 at 7:40 pm

;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/08/13 at 7:53 pm

;D

Written By: Howard on 09/09/13 at 7:12 am

Yeah I do  ;D and hair in places you never seen before. (and I'm not referring to women, it's about us guys.)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/18/13 at 2:50 pm

Yeah I do  ;D and hair in places you never seen before. (and I'm not referring to women, it's about us guys.)

Oh yeah.  Some guys have hair where they don't want it to grow and places where they wish they still had it.  ;D

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/18/13 at 6:51 pm

Gosh, I forgot I posted this thread! Hahaha, LOL!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/18/13 at 9:23 pm

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-X-3Lus536xc/Ui7Rrb_loPI/AAAAAAAAFSc/vU_ggQAVutc/s640/H%253DR-E.png

That equation applies to everyone, but for those who haven't quite gotten older yet, here's Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy, aka, a guide to managing your quarter-life crisis.

/Xer.  We got over our quarter-life crises with corrosive cynicism.  The boomers had already banned all the good drugs and the STDs that came out of their generation ruined sex too.  Rock and Roll had been reduced to a choice between techno or grunge.  Corrosive cynicism really was the only thing we had going for us at that age.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/18/13 at 10:11 pm

HAPPINESS = A FUNNY NEW EPISODE OF THE DAILY SHOW AND A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/19/13 at 2:01 am

For me 2008 isn't that long ago, it feels like 3 year ago instead of 5.

However, you couldn't pay me enough to go back. Not a trillion dollars or a QUADRILLION would make me go back! >:(

Written By: Howard on 09/19/13 at 6:49 am

Oh yeah.  Some guys have hair where they don't want it to grow and places where they wish they still had it.  ;D

At least I still have mine.  ;D

Written By: warped on 09/19/13 at 7:30 am

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-X-3Lus536xc/Ui7Rrb_loPI/AAAAAAAAFSc/vU_ggQAVutc/s640/H%253DR-E.png

Happiness...is a warm gun. :o

:D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/19/13 at 4:16 pm

Happiness is not having to worry about anything or anyone.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/19/13 at 7:37 pm

Happiness is not having to worry about anything or anyone.  :)

Happiness is a warm bed during the winter.  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/19/13 at 9:01 pm

http://i.imgur.com/LDioaZq.jpg

Happiness is blowing the dust out of the cartridge contacts and playing Duck Hunt one more time.

RIP, Yamauchi-san.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/13 at 3:44 pm

I'm looking forward to my old age.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/20/13 at 4:41 pm

I'm happy.  I don't have a worry in the world until 3 years from now.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/21/13 at 3:52 pm

I'm happy.  I don't have a worry in the world until 3 years from now.  :)

why? what's going to happen 3 years from now?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/21/13 at 4:50 pm

why? what's going to happen 3 years from now?

I'm turning 40.  :)

Written By: Katluver on 09/21/13 at 7:10 pm

Going to be honest by admitting that I hate getting older. In fact I get upset when I realise how much time has passed with certain events say like 9/11 that happened 12 years ago or the 20th century 14 years ago! I know that might seem a little weird, but that's how I feel.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/21/13 at 9:01 pm

Going to be honest by admitting that I hate getting older. In fact I get upset when I realise how much time has passed with certain events say like 9/11 that happened 12 years ago or the 20th century 14 years ago! I know that might seem a little weird, but that's how I feel.

When I turned 30 I wondered if I could trust myself anymore.  Now I'm pushing 70 and know that I am the same feisty, radical, obnoxious SOB that I was back then, just a trifle more circumspect.  I'm not as spry as I was (can't get into a catcher's crouch), but I can still do ALL the things that are important in life.  So my message to all you young pups is stop fretting it.  Enjoy your youth, but don't fear your "golden years", just keep on keepen on and enjoy each moment as it comes

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/21/13 at 10:55 pm

That equation applies to everyone, but for those who haven't quite gotten older yet, here's Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy, aka, a guide to managing your quarter-life crisis.

/Xer.  We got over our quarter-life crises with corrosive cynicism.  The boomers had already banned all the good drugs and the STDs that came out of their generation ruined sex too.  Rock and Roll had been reduced to a choice between techno or grunge.  Corrosive cynicism really was the only thing we had going for us at that age.

So last week, WaitButWhy threw down the gauntlet, and now Adam Weinstein has taken it up and posted the rebuttal:

http://i.imgur.com/PaVAac4.png

I'm Gen Y, and I'm Not a Special Snowflake. I'm Broke.
(Subtitle: "If I want something beyond debt and low wages, am I simply being entitled and delusional?")

On behalf of Y, the rebuttal is as worthy as the original, and on behalf of X, I'd encourage everyone to read it, and on behalf of the spirit of fair play, I'm off to go f*bleep*k myself!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/22/13 at 4:19 am

When I turned 30 I wondered if I could trust myself anymore.  Now I'm pushing 70 and know that I am the same feisty, radical, obnoxious SOB that I was back then, just a trifle more circumspect.  I'm not as spry as I was (can't get into a catcher's crouch), but I can still do ALL the things that are important in life.  So my message to all you young pups is stop fretting it.  Enjoy your youth, but don't fear your "golden years", just keep on keepen on and enjoy each moment as it comes

;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/22/13 at 8:17 am

With everything going on, good and bad, I have to say I am truly happy living in my skin!!!!  I am blessed with a great family and a wonderful support group of friends!  (Many of you I consider here, and you know who you are).  I have had gorgeous family pictures taken, and I for once am looking at them as "we are a gorgeous family". Not I am fat, wish this or that...

This attitude of peace of mind and clarity  I never had at 20 or even 30 (always thinking is there something better out there).  Now at 40...  I am loving my life and loving me!!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 09/22/13 at 9:00 am

Beautifully said, Sami.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/22/13 at 3:47 pm

I'm turning 40.  :)

I'll be 40 in March. Where did all the years go? Good Lord!  :o

Written By: Howard on 09/22/13 at 3:49 pm

I was almost turning 30.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/13 at 3:49 pm

Enjoy your youth, but don't fear your "golden years", just keep on keepen on and enjoy each moment as it comes

true words spoken.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/22/13 at 3:51 pm

Now at 40...  I am loving my life and loving me!!!!

I'm almost 40 and I'm enjoying life to it's fullest. :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/22/13 at 4:12 pm

I have a lot of good things to look forward to.  :) I just love to look back on where I was and think ahead to t he future.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/22/13 at 4:20 pm

I have a lot of good things to look forward to.  :) I just love to look back on where I was and think ahead to t he future.  :)

I enjoy nostalgia and reminiscing.

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/22/13 at 7:33 pm

Beautifully said, Sami.  :)
Thank you!!!  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/22/13 at 10:20 pm

If everyone's life was ideal, most people would peak career and life wise, during their 40s and/or 50s! Of course, setting a date is silly I know, but maybe it's 80sfan's ideal.  ;)

Written By: gibbo on 09/23/13 at 1:31 am

Yes  ... not long to go now!  :)

Written By: Paul on 09/23/13 at 5:21 am

and when you get older you...get man boobs. ;D

Well, that should keep you entertained, Howard!

Written By: Howard on 09/23/13 at 6:59 am

Yes  ... not long to go now!  :)

for what?  ???

Written By: Howard on 09/23/13 at 6:59 am

Well, that should keep you entertained, Howard!

;D

Written By: gibbo on 09/23/13 at 4:47 pm

for what?  ???

Until it's all over Howard.

Written By: warped on 09/23/13 at 7:52 pm

O0

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/23/13 at 7:55 pm

With everything going on, good and bad, I have to say I am truly happy living in my skin!!!!  I am blessed with a great family and a wonderful support group of friends!  (Many of you I consider here, and you know who you are).  I have had gorgeous family pictures taken, and I for once am looking at them as "we are a gorgeous family". Not I am fat, wish this or that...

This attitude of peace of mind and clarity  I never had at 20 or even 30 (always thinking is there something better out there).  Now at 40...  I am loving my life and loving me!!!!

"Vanity of vanities, all is vanity."
- Some wise guy named Solomon, who tried it all while he was King and got bored of it.  Wrote a book or something about 3000 years ago.

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy. The miracle in question was only performed to hasten the operation, under circumstances of present necessity, which required it."
- Ben Franklin, another wise guy :)

Happiness isn't in having what you want, it's wanting what you have.
- I can't find a solid attribution, it's typically regarded as an axiom of either the Greek Stoics or various branches of Buddhism.  I'm inclined to go with Buddhists, simply because they had about 1000 years' head start on the Stoics.  Solomon would likely have sympathized, except he was 500 years too early and working on problems other than happiness.

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/23/13 at 11:40 pm

"Vanity of vanities, all is vanity."
- Some wise guy named Solomon, who tried it all while he was King and got bored of it.  Wrote a book or something about 3000 years ago.

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy. The miracle in question was only performed to hasten the operation, under circumstances of present necessity, which required it."
- Ben Franklin, another wise guy :)

Happiness isn't in having what you want, it's wanting what you have.
- I can't find a solid attribution, it's typically regarded as an axiom of either the Greek Stoics or various branches of Buddhism.  I'm inclined to go with Buddhists, simply because they had about 1000 years' head start on the Stoics.  Solomon would likely have sympathized, except he was 500 years too early and working on problems other than happiness.
I like the three quotes... :) I don't get too wrapped up in the technicalities!!!!  ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/24/13 at 6:56 am

It's not over until the fat lady sings.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/13 at 6:58 am

I can't wait to get older, maybe that'll mean more prescriptions for my Viagra. ;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/25/13 at 1:54 am

I've given so much blood lately, it's surprising I have any left....most recent results show I have a vitamin D level of 7...."normal" for someone my age/weight/build is around 50 :(

Written By: Howard on 09/25/13 at 6:51 am

I've given so much blood lately, it's surprising I have any left....most recent results show I have a vitamin D level of 7...."normal" for someone my age/weight/build is around 50 :(

you could always get blood back in your system.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/25/13 at 7:35 am

Wow, do they know why it is so low?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/25/13 at 11:34 am

I reckon I'm okay with getting older, so long as I have something to show for it. A published book, a man, a kid, something...to show all my time hasn't been a waste. (Women in my family age rather gracefully, so I won't have to worry about "work" being done until well into my 60s.)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/25/13 at 5:34 pm

Worrying too much gives you wrinkles. ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/25/13 at 7:29 pm

Worrying too much gives you wrinkles. ;D

and varicose veins.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/25/13 at 7:55 pm

Wow, do they know why it is so low?

My doctor prescribed me a vitamin supplement. He told me that, honestly, most people do NOT have enough of it. I think he attributed it to people not being in the sun enough, what with cable, and video games and internet keeping them in. I am guilty of that. Have you be prescribed and/or told to buy an over the counter supplement. I have a multivitamin too, but it's so big, I'd sooner pick up my car and swallow it instead.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/03/13 at 11:41 pm

and varicose veins.

;D

Written By: gibbo on 10/04/13 at 12:06 am

My doctor prescribed me a vitamin supplement. He told me that, honestly, most people do NOT have enough of it. I think he attributed it to people not being in the sun enough, what with cable, and video games and internet keeping them in. I am guilty of that. Have you be prescribed and/or told to buy an over the counter supplement. I have a multivitamin too, but it's so big, I'd sooner pick up my car and swallow it instead.

You can't win!  Too much sun and you die of melanova!! :-\\

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/04/13 at 2:24 pm

You can't win!  Too much sun and you die of melanova!! :-\\
or melanoma even!!! 

Melanova must be when a star gets a hemorrhoid or something  :D

;)

And on goes the lives of Gibbo and Sami! ( I saw that post the other day).

Written By: Howard on 10/04/13 at 4:00 pm

;D

Well, it's true.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/13 at 4:01 pm

never felt happier, can't wait.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/05/13 at 12:02 am

The Boomers and the Yers have had their say.  On behalf of the Meh generation, X'er time:

"3. We Age Gracefully

...Gen X is shyer about bodily renovation. We grew up looking at Molly Ringwald and Melissa Gilbert and Nancy McKeon—girls who were considered pretty or passable, even with big teeth and bad bangs and freckles. Not to mention, when we were little, there was no such thing as “playing dress-up”—unless you count putting on your mothers’ high heels and smoking a drinking straw and speculating on the Kennedy curse.

We came of age back when very little could be done if you were born unattractive. Hair extensions and tooth whitening and nose jobs were reserved for Elizabeth Taylor’s inner circle, so we all just slumped along in our glasses and retainers and Jordache jeans that went all the way up to our flat chests and accepted the fact that we’d probably have to work overtime on our personalities and putting out.

This has resulted in a whole mess of females who had to live through decades of bad hair days and unmedicated acne. With faces like ours, we relied more on our brains than our beauty to get us places. We’re a little more natural, a little more real, a little more down-to-earth. Bookended by those who love plastic and those who love princesses, here we are, in our ponytails, wary of the very un-Zen idea of perfection.

(I realize this particular theory is likely to piss off Boomers and Ys alike. Don’t you realize you’re generalizing? Don’t you think women should support other women’s beauty choices? Are you jealous? Because I bet you slump around town in an Old Navy Zeppelin t-shirt and a pair of busted Tom’s and haven’t even brushed your hair today. To which I answer: Yes. Yes. Yes. And why are you following me."

- Whitney Collins, Generation X’s journey from jaded to sated

I'm not with her on all her points, but I'm with her on "Meh, meh, meh" as my rallying cry, and the notion of working just enough to get what you want.  There's no point in earning a billion if you aren't going to live long enough to spend it.  There's no point in following your passion because we can't all be superstars.  But if you can find a job that doesn't suck?  Meh.  Good enough.

Check for new replies or respond here...