inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did you go to your high school reunion?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/13 at 2:36 pm

For those about age 28 or older, did you go to your high school reunion?

Because I'm not going to mine. ;D ;D

I'm 24 going on 25. And in 4 years will be my high school reunion. I didn't know about 60% of my classmates, so why go you know? Even if I do go, I'd go with a big group of my friends, or I'll feel really weird.

Oh, and plus, it was 'my' fault I didn't get close to anyone, so I'm not going to punish myself, karma has already punished me for my misdeeds in my teens (being socially a hermit, or an ex-hermit isn't one of them).  :-X :-X Although that dark karma is fading now fast.  8)

Subject: Re: Did you go to your high school reunion?

Written By: warped on 09/07/13 at 2:54 pm

I have no idea if my high school held a 10-year or 20-year reunion. I found out through facebook there was a 30-year reunion, just a few years back. I did not attend. I heard 8 to 11 people attended, not a huge turnout at all from 60 or 70 who graduated.

First of all, I was 1 to 2 years younger than everyone in my class, although I hung out with the partyers, I never felt I belonged.  I haven’t spoken to anyone from my high school in well over 20 years. I graduated over 30 years ago. Although the memories I have with them (from the late 1970s) are quite good. I have zero interest in seeing any of them anymore. Not that anything ever bad happened, it didn’t, but that part of my life is done with. I do cherish the memories though.

It just feels weird that everyone I went to high school with...are now in their 50s, and several of them may be grandparents.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/07/13 at 3:03 pm

I didn't go to the 10 year but I did go to the 20.  It was fun.  Haven't decided if I want to go to the 30 coming up in 5 years.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/13 at 3:54 pm

There was supposed to be a 20th High School reunion but I didn't get anything in the mail.

Written By: snozberries on 09/07/13 at 5:21 pm

We had a 10 yr and a 20

I went to the 10 and enjoyed it more than I thought. I connected with old friends and became good friends with people I NEVER talked to in HS.

I really wanted to go to the 20 but it was Halloween weekend and we are not allowed to take time off,or leave town, Halloween weekend. It's a major event for us.

I told my boss tho that I'm not missing the 30 th.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/07/13 at 5:47 pm

The high school I attended cheaps out on reunions. Every 5 years they hold an Alumni/Alumae reunion
not a specific year reunion, I wouldn't have went any way. I had two friends in high school. Roger and
Edgardo. Roger is married to my wife's sister so we stay in touch for obvious reasons and Edgardo doesn't
live too far away so we see each other pretty regularly. As for the rest, I really didn't want to associate
with any of them when I was in school so I damn sure don't want to associate with them now.

On a side note, this is the same reason I don't have a facebook page. I know people say you can reconnect
with people you haven't seen in a long time but this is how I see it.

If you are important to me, or a part of my life we wouldn't need to reconnect because you would still be a part of my life.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/13 at 6:12 pm

I have no idea if my high school held a 10-year or 20-year reunion. I found out through facebook there was a 30-year reunion, just a few years back. I did not attend. I heard 8 to 11 people attended, not a huge turnout at all from 60 or 70 who graduated.

First of all, I was 1 to 2 years younger than everyone in my class, although I hung out with the partyers, I never felt I belonged.  I haven’t spoken to anyone from my high school in well over 20 years. I graduated over 30 years ago. Although the memories I have with them (from the late 1970s) are quite good. I have zero interest in seeing any of them anymore. Not that anything ever bad happened, it didn’t, but that part of my life is done with. I do cherish the memories though.

It just feels weird that everyone I went to high school with...are now in their 50s, and several of them may be grandparents.

I understand what you mean. It's not that those people are horrible, it's just the past is just too far away.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/13 at 6:13 pm

I didn't go to the 10 year but I did go to the 20.  It was fun.  Haven't decided if I want to go to the 30 coming up in 5 years.

Who knows? I might get bored and curious one day and go to mine. But probably the 20 year one.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/13 at 6:14 pm

There was supposed to be a 20th High School reunion but I didn't get anything in the mail.

Did you go to your 10th year?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/13 at 6:15 pm

The high school I attended cheaps out on reunions. Every 5 years they hold an Alumni/Alumae reunion
not a specific year reunion, I wouldn't have went any way. I had two friends in high school. Roger and
Edgardo. Roger is married to my wife's sister so we stay in touch for obvious reasons and Edgardo doesn't
live too far away so we see each other pretty regularly. As for the rest, I really didn't want to associate
with any of them when I was in school so I damn sure don't want to associate with them now.

On a side note, this is the same reason I don't have a facebook page. I know people say you can reconnect

If you are important to me, or a part of my life we wouldn't need to reconnect because you would still be a part of my life.

Was your high school big?

Written By: warped on 09/07/13 at 6:17 pm

I understand what you mean. It's not that those people are horrible, it's just the past is just too far away.

Thanks. Actually they were are pretty great and I had lots of fun. But the fun I was well over 30 years ago. So long ago. If I would see them now I'd have nothing to talk about.

This. Agreed. I do have facebook, but I am not facebook friends with anyone from my high school. I see no need to reconnect. It's too long ago. You weren't part of my life since about 1981 and you want to reconnect now?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/13 at 6:18 pm

We had a 10 yr and a 20

I went to the 10 and enjoyed it more than I thought. I connected with old friends and became good friends with people I NEVER talked to in HS.

I really wanted to go to the 20 but it was Halloween weekend and we are not allowed to take time off,or leave town, Halloween weekend. It's a major event for us.

I told my boss tho that I'm not missing the 30 th.

If I do go to my 20th one when I'm 38, I probably will avoid two people I know, who don't want to talk to me. ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 09/07/13 at 6:25 pm

Was your high school big?

Not really, My graduating class of 1980 had 183 students.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/07/13 at 6:31 pm

My school had about 1,500 people so my graduating class was probably about 400.

Written By: whistledog on 09/07/13 at 7:23 pm

I am the same as Loki.  I had 2 friends in high school I still keep in touch with.  One of them works in the same office as me.  The rest of the kids in my grade were either azzholes or people that I didn't really care to be friends with, nor would I want to see again.  I graduated H.S. 17 years ago, and to my knowledge, there has never been a reunion.  Not like I would go anyway. 

Written By: Katluver on 09/07/13 at 7:25 pm

My high school celebrated their 30th and 35th anniversary, but I didn't attend. Like Warped, I prefer to put the past behind me. I also like to reflect on pleasant memories so I'm afraid that attending a reunion might ruin those. It also doesn't help that I lived over 300 miles away (now 2700 miles).

Written By: snozberries on 09/07/13 at 7:29 pm

My class of 86 had 86 graduates.  :D

Written By: snozberries on 09/07/13 at 7:32 pm

I am the same as Loki.  I had 2 friends in high school I still keep in touch with.  One of them works in the same office as me.  The rest of the kids in my grade were either azzholes or people that I didn't really care to be friends with, nor would I want to see again.  I graduated H.S. 17 years ago, and to my knowledge, there has never been a reunion.  Not like I would go anyway.

What I learned is that most...not all...of the people I thought were bitchy back then were just trying to figure things out. One was aloof because she was a lesbian in a catholic school... Many of them matured into nice, normal, quasi rational adults. I've found the company of most to be quite pleasant. A group of about ten of us get together once or twice a year.  It's actually fun and Once i stopped attributing my teenage percetiolns on them i wound up genuinely liking them.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/07/13 at 11:13 pm

I'm from the class of 1974 and never went to any reunions but last year on 8-25-2012 my high school did something unique. they had a multi-class reunion for classes 1969-1979 so the whole decade of graduating classes was invited. There were over 450 people at the reunion and it was totally awesome!  The reunion committee took about a year to plan it. During school I had missed out on a large part of school experience, wasn't involved in any clubs or sports due to my daily drug use but I still knew most everyone. My hangout group was the stoner crowd and none of them were at the reunion but I connected with all the rest of my classmates (the good & popular kids  :) ) and now we're really good friends. That reunion and the following mini meets have more than made up for what I missed out on back then.  Next year will be our 40th and they are planning a reunion and I'm definitely going! 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/08/13 at 1:03 am

What I learned is that most...not all...of the people I thought were bitchy back then were just trying to figure things out. One was aloof because she was a lesbian in a catholic school... Many of them matured into nice, normal, quasi rational adults. I've found the company of most to be quite pleasant. A group of about ten of us get together once or twice a year.  It's actually fun and Once i stopped attributing my teenage percetiolns on them i wound up genuinely liking them.

You know. You're quite understanding, most people are like..."I remember you back from high school, you asshole, I'm never talking to you again!" Too bad not many are like you.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/08/13 at 1:05 am

I'm from the class of 1974 and never went to any reunions but last year on 8-25-2012 my high school did something unique. they had a multi-class reunion for classes 1969-1979 so the whole decade of graduating classes was invited. There were over 450 people at the reunion and it was totally awesome!  The reunion committee took about a year to plan it. During school I had missed out on a large part of school experience, wasn't involved in any clubs or sports due to my daily drug use but I still knew most everyone. My hangout group was the stoner crowd and none of them were at the reunion but I connected with all the rest of my classmates (the good & popular kids  :) ) and now we're really good friends. That reunion and the following mini meets have more than made up for what I missed out on back then.  Next year will be our 40th and they are planning a reunion and I'm definitely going! 8)

Now THAT I would go to!

Written By: Henk on 09/08/13 at 1:25 am

I have attended most of the high school reunions that were held since my graduation. I'm one of those people that are looking forward to looking back (even though my high school time wasn't all that pleasant, and even though the people that show up at reunions are usually not the people I used to hang out with! ;D)

Over here, we don't have a tradition of "year of ####"-type reunions. Reunions are open for all former students, and are usually held every five year. At least, that's what my former high school used to do, up to a couple of years ago. The last reunion was a huge disappointment for the organization (low attendance), so they threw the towel. No more reunions in future, unless someone else steps up.
They also took down the alumni site, and never even posted the pictures taken at the last reunion. :(

On the subject of reunions: I still have plans for a primary school reunion (or at least my former classmates). Anyone have any experience with that? (I suppose not)

Written By: snozberries on 09/08/13 at 7:07 am

You know. You're quite understanding, most people are like..."I remember you back from high school, you asshole, I'm never talking to you again!" Too bad not many are like you.

Again that's something that may change for you with age....

It goes both ways tho. You also have to be willing to set aside the past and start from zero.
I'm not saying all the people I had issues with are awesome or have changed but I realized I was going thru stuff and they were going thru stuff and none of us knew how to talk about it so we formed impressions based on what we assumed the other thought or based on our perception of how they acted. 

Strip all the teen angst crap away and I found some really awesome women existed in their place.

Maybe it also helps that we are women  :P

;)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/08/13 at 8:05 am

I have attended most of the high school reunions that were held since my graduation. I'm one of those people that are looking forward to looking back (even though my high school time wasn't all that pleasant, and even though the people that show up at reunions are usually not the people I used to hang out with! ;D)

Over here, we don't have a tradition of "year of ####"-type reunions. Reunions are open for all former students, and are usually held every five year. At least, that's what my former high school used to do, up to a couple of years ago. The last reunion was a huge disappointment for the organization (low attendance), so they threw the towel. No more reunions in future, unless someone else steps up.
They also took down the alumni site, and never even posted the pictures taken at the last reunion. :(

On the subject of reunions: I still have plans for a primary school reunion (or at least my former classmates). Anyone have any experience with that? (I suppose not)

Before high school? I don't remember a lot of people before junior high.  :D

Written By: Katluver on 09/08/13 at 11:10 am

So true. A few years ago, I was visiting a friend that showed me some of her former classmates on Facebook, and she was stating that "Amy so-and-so was a b*tch." It had been over a decade since she graduated, but she was still listing the people that weren't nice to her. Perhaps she's changed a little by now...

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/08/13 at 2:06 pm

No and I don't plan to. 

I see plenty of my "old aquaintences" on Facebook.  So I don't need to go and see them face to face.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/08/13 at 2:09 pm

So true. A few years ago, I was visiting a friend that showed me some of her former classmates on Facebook, and she was stating that "Amy so-and-so was a b*tch." It had been over a decade since she graduated, but she was still listing the people that weren't nice to her. Perhaps she's changed a little by now...

Some people are still mean, even until they're 90 or 100 years old.  :-X :-X

Written By: Howard on 09/08/13 at 3:51 pm

Did you go to your 10th year?  ???

There was no 10th.

Written By: Henk on 09/09/13 at 2:50 am

Before high school? I don't remember a lot of people before junior high.  :D

FYI: Primary school = ages 6 to 12 (at least when I went there. Nowadays it's 4 to 12). We don't have a junior/senior high school, just high school (ages 12 to 16 or 18, depending on the type of high school). Those can be followed by professional education (for manual labour), university or college education.
Up to age 16, education is compulsory in my country.

And FTR: I don't really remember a lot of people from primary school either. Maybe just as well... :D

Written By: Paul on 09/09/13 at 4:44 am

Not sure if my school has ever had a reunion...

I wouldn't go if there was - I detested school in all its forms and my classmates (barring one or two) were just as bad!

In any case, what do you say to someone who you haven't seen for 30+ years?  ???

Written By: Inertia on 09/09/13 at 6:32 am

My ten year reunion will be in 2017. I doubt I will go.

Written By: Katluver on 09/09/13 at 11:11 am

In any case, what do you say to someone who you haven't seen for 30+ years?  ???

To be honest, that's one of my fears. "So...um...what's new?"

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/09/13 at 12:32 pm

I think we had a ten year reunion in 2008, however I'm not really sure. In any case I didn't even attend.

Written By: snozberries on 09/09/13 at 3:07 pm

That's what I was going to say  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/09/13 at 7:41 pm

or "what have you been doing all these years"?

Written By: warped on 09/09/13 at 8:31 pm

Exactly.

"Hi, I haven't seen you since you were 18, in 1980. You are now 51 years old..so what's new?..Hey..remember the album "Breakfast in America"?..remember we used to like that album? Remember one time in 1979 you got drunk and drove 90mph on a side street and almost killed us?" 

What else am I gonna say? ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/13 at 9:38 pm

No.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/09/13 at 9:55 pm

My highschool has changed so gradually that I don't even want to see the inside of it again for as long as I live.  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/13 at 12:14 am

No.

I've read about some of your comments on your teenage years. Maybe a reason or reasons not to go.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/10/13 at 6:47 am

My highschool has changed so gradually that I don't even want to see the inside of it again for as long as I live.  :P

My High School changed too 21 years after I had graduated.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/13 at 1:46 pm

My High School changed too 21 years after I had graduated.

They redid my high school. They waited until I was gone to make it look better. ;D

Written By: warped on 09/10/13 at 2:10 pm

They redid my high school. They waited until I was gone to make it look better. ;D

My primary school (When I started in the 1960s) and my high school looks still the same from outside. Not much changes.

I think most of my high school friends would have stayed in touch more if not everyone went away to University/College. Some went to Quebec City, Montreal, New Brunswick, B.C., Manitoba, Windsor, Guelph, Kingston, Calgary and some went to the USA.  They (like I did) probably all made new friends who basically...replaced the friends we had before.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/13 at 7:46 pm

They put a track and field in mine.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/10/13 at 8:26 pm

They put a track and field in mine.

They gave a really big F**K you to my primary school's namesake and made the building into these ugly condos that only the three richest kings and queens could afford to live.  :P
I was disgusted that nobody stood up for that school and the children who now have to be bused out to another school.  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/13 at 8:30 pm

I'm class of 2007. Lucky seven.

My nephew just graduated high school this year. Class of '13.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/10/13 at 9:46 pm

My cousin's oldest will be starting Highschool next year.  2018 is when he'll graduate highschool.  At the same time that his youngest brother will be starting highschool.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/13 at 7:43 am

I'm class of 2007. Lucky seven.

My nephew just graduated high school this year. Class of '13.

I'm class of 1992.

Written By: snozberries on 09/11/13 at 8:37 am

I'm class of 1992.

I'm class of 1992.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/11/13 at 9:31 am

I'm class of 1992.

You're only two years older than me.  I'm Class Of 1994.

Written By: Howard on 09/11/13 at 2:29 pm

Whoops! Sorry about that.

Written By: valleyroads on 09/12/13 at 4:01 am

Getting close to that age, but... my high school, of sorts (was a non-graded and non-public school with remedial, behavioral and therapy classifications) wouldn't hold one for several reasons, and most of my classmates are either dead, in prison, in the state hospital or have moved on, so it might be a moot point to have one.  ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/14/13 at 12:01 am

Our reunion committee had a memorial DVD made which was played during the reunion. It was sad since there were over 100 people that died from 1969 thru 1979, students and teachers. People sent in names of classmates who had passed away. They used pics from their yearbooks & it was very moving as Fields Of Gold - Sting and a couple other songs played. They also filmed the event, including the planning committee meetings, building set up and the incredible reunion. They also made DVDs for people to order of the reunion and included the Memorial DVD as well. I didn't go to my 5 year reunion which was 1979 & I missed every one after but I was encouraged to go to this one and I have to say it was somewhat life changing. Last month 8-25-13 was the 1 year anniversary of our reunion and the guy who filmed put together a short video of the event. Me and Lady Di have can be seen briefly at the 3:03 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_KRB4rx1gs

Written By: nally on 10/12/13 at 2:19 pm

I went to my 10-year reunion in 2008, but was shocked by the low turnout. My graduating class had 400-500 members, but I counted only 64 of them who showed up. Kinda sad IMO. :-\\

Written By: warped on 10/12/13 at 2:28 pm

I went to my 10-year reunion in 2008, but was shocked by the low turnout. My graduating class had 400-500 members, but I counted only 64 of them who showed up. Kinda sad IMO. :-\\

Not everyone wants to attend a high-school reunion. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that our class had a 30 year reunion, and only 8 to 11 people came, out of about 100.  I didn't go. No interest on my part.

Written By: nally on 10/12/13 at 2:48 pm

Not everyone wants to attend a high-school reunion. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that our class had a 30 year reunion, and only 8 to 11 people came, out of about 100.  I didn't go. No interest on my part.

My mom didn't go to her 30 year reunion either; this was due in part to various things going on in her life. And my dad stopped going to his reunions after the 20 year, due to lack of interest on his part.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/12/13 at 4:28 pm

My mother didn't go to her highschool reunion either.  I'm betting she won't go to her next one either.  :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/16/13 at 9:56 pm

I would like to go to my reunion but I cant afford it. I hate that because I want all my former classmates to see that Tiffeny lost weight and looks cute now!  :)

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/27/13 at 9:31 pm

I would like to go to my reunion but I cant afford it. I hate that because I want all my former classmates to see that Tiffeny lost weight and looks cute now!  :)

Thanks Warped for showing me this thread.  :)

I graduated high school in 2009 but I see no point of going to a high school reunion.
Some people tell me I care too much about high school, but I find that ironic since the people telling me that are people that go/want to go to a high school reunion.
I just don't see the point of reliving high school for a night.
I think high school reunions might be on a decline. I've heard of high school reunions getting cancelled due to lack of interest.
To me, it appears high school reunions are just an excuse for the cool kids to get together again. I wasn't one of the cool kids.

My 10 year reunion will be in 2019. My 5 year reunion will be next year (2014).
There is a Facebook page that was set up talking all about it. I got the invite but quickly declined it after looking at the "going" list. There are maybe 3 or 4 people I care to see or talk to. I didn't hate high school but I certainly didn't love it either. It feels like so long ago even though it's only been 4 and a half years. A lot can change in that amount of time. I am about to turn 23 and I have matured so much since I was 18.

Written By: Ripley on 12/27/13 at 9:34 pm

Maybe classmates keeping in touch on FB and other social sites is a reason for the decline.  They don't see a point maybe since they all keep in touch.  Half of the kids from mine talk/see each other often so I didn't see a point.  :-\\  I don't care to know any of them though.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/27/13 at 9:36 pm

I always thought a 5 year was silly anyway.  Not much has changed, really.  So far, the only one I have been to was the 20.  Now there are changes.  And, no I was not one of the cool kids.  That stuff usually ends as you mature and realize the real important things in life.

That being said, if you don't want to go, don't.  It isn't a requirement in life.  They're not for everyone.

Written By: nally on 12/28/13 at 1:35 am

I always thought a 5 year was silly anyway.  Not much has changed, really.

Yeah, I never usually see or hear about those. I didn't even have one anyway. Nor did I have a 15 year (which would have been this year). However, sometimes there'll be a 25 year (which my mom's class had; she went to it).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/13 at 11:08 am

Never went to any of my reunions. I went to two different high schools-one for 10th & 11th grade (fairly small school) & one for my senior year (much bigger school). I knew more people in the high school that I didn't graduate from than I did from the school that I did graduate from. But, because I didn't graduate from the first one, I never receive any info about reunions. I do receive some info from the high school that I did graduate from but not knowing (or remembering) too many people, it doesn't make any sense for me to-except to meet "new" people.

Cat

Written By: tv on 05/03/15 at 11:16 pm

My 20 year re-union is coming up in 2018 but I probably won't go. What's the use of seeing people that you haven't seen in 20 years? I just don
't see the use. Besides, I didn't like High School anyway. I have seen maybe 5-6 people from High School since I graduated.

Written By: Katluver on 05/10/15 at 1:56 pm

For our high school reunions, we have to pay to attend so I don't think it's worth paying for a function to feel awkward.

Written By: Ripley on 10/16/15 at 2:55 pm

No.  Most of my class was full of preps and snobs.  So I had no intention.  And I know people say people changed but they sure as heck didn't. 

Written By: Howard on 10/16/15 at 4:27 pm

No I never went to high school reunion.

Written By: snozberries on 10/16/15 at 5:57 pm

My 30th is coming up next year.  I looking forward to it.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/15 at 6:24 am

For our high school reunions, we have to pay to attend so I don't think it's worth paying for a function to feel awkward.

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/15 at 6:25 am

No.  Most of my class was full of preps and snobs.  So I had no intention.  And I know people say people changed but they sure as heck didn't.

Just because people say it doesn't mean it's true.  ;)

I do believe some people change but the majority of people do not.

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/15 at 8:19 am

Just because people say it doesn't mean it's true.  ;)

I do believe some people change but the majority of people do not.

I still think that's your youth talking and your own attitude.

The majority of people change one way or another with age because Priorities shift and Self perception changes. What was important in high school is now known as trivial and people don't have as much of a need to make others look bad to get the focus off of them.

If you are not seeing it then it could be because you are in the minority that hasn't changed....yet

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/17/15 at 10:46 am

Part of my morning routine is to read the paper as I have my first cup of tea. Along with that is reading Dear Abby. This was a letter in there a few weeks ago that just made me angry.

Dear Abby: Today was my high school reunion. I was the most notable student for all the wrong reasons. I was born with some birth defects and learning disabilities. I overcame them, but it was hard. While working blue-collar jobs, I lived in my car for a few years.

On a cold winter night several years ago, I met Dr. X in the emergency room. He was a former classmate of mine, and we pretended not to know one another. He discovered I was living in my car and heard some of my story. Then he arranged for me to be admitted to the hospital for a day so I could get warmed up and recover. When I left the hospital, I found a $100 bill in the gas tank door of my van. I’m sure it was from him.

I now have a home of my own and I’m doing OK, considering everything. When I sent my reservation and check to the reunion committee, it was returned uncashed with a $50 bill along with a note saying “Please don’t come.” The reunion was being held on the estate of Dr. X.

I guess my classmates are more closed-minded than I thought they would be. I was hoping age would mellow them. In addition to the reservation return, I have seen a few forwarded emails mocking my attempts to find out about the event. I hope none of those people were blessed with a child with learning or physical issues.

I guess people never change on some things. Thankfully, I have found nicer, caring people along my journey in life, and for that I’d like to thank all of the kind people in the world.

Unexpected Success

Dear Unexpected Success: Your letter shocked me. I am glad to know how you are doing. Although people age, it’s apparent that not all of them mature.

In case you haven’t yet realized it, you weren’t the only student in your class with problems. People who would behave as you have described were obviously born without a heart. It is inexcusable for you to have been treated the way you were. In recognition of the challenges you have overcome, you should have been the guest of honor at the reunion.

I hope that all of you who are hoping to planning on attending your high school reunion do not have to put up with assholes who never matured.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/15 at 10:49 am

I still think that's your youth talking and your own attitude.

The majority of people change one way or another with age because Priorities shift and Self perception changes. What was important in high school is now known as trivial and people don't have as much of a need to make others look bad to get the focus off of them.

If you are not seeing it then it could be because you are in the minority that hasn't changed....yet

Depends on what you mean by change. Some people are still as cruel or mean as they were at 15. They moved from being mean in the locker rooms to being mean in another way. Or they are better at hiding it. They might even put their meanness in their business work, or work in general.

Just because some people change the form or the way that they are mean, doesn't mean they've changed on the inside.

I don't think you're necessarily wrong Snoz, but I put another point of view out there sometimes to see different angles of a subject. It's like looking at many angles of an three dimensional object or something. Just because I point out another point of view from you, doesn't mean I think you're wrong, of that you're wrong in general about a subject.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/15 at 11:02 am

Kind of reminds me of this picture.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52d0ce5fe4b0178cd180a411/t/52f18ef0e4b00a9ac8f030fd/1391562480870/Perspective.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/15 at 1:27 pm

My point is that Ripley, Snoz, and I, may be right. ;)

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/15 at 3:17 pm

Depends on what you mean by change. Some people are still as cruel or mean as they were at 15. They moved from being mean in the locker rooms to being mean in another way. Or they are better at hiding it. They might even put their meanness in their business work, or work in general.

Just because some people change the form or the way that they are mean, doesn't mean they've changed on the inside.

I don't think you're necessarily wrong Snoz, but I put another point of view out there sometimes to see different angles of a subject. It's like looking at many angles of an three dimensional object or something. Just because I point out another point of view from you, doesn't mean I think you're wrong, of that you're wrong in general about a subject.

I think the perception of whether people change or not is subjective.

I know not everyone changes but most people with maturity focus on the superficial less than when they were teenagers.  I think tho of your (not you you) don't change your own perception you will see people as hey we're not as they are.

I can only use my own experience. I'm didn't have a lot of friends in HS school but now am friendly with many of them because it's no longer about who's wearing what and what people look like...I'm saying it's more personal now than superficial as it has been.

It's not everyone everywhere I just feel like when you get older you don't have to try as hard or you care less. Plus what's important now is way different than what was important then

I'm rambling hopefully some of that makes sense

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/15 at 3:32 pm

I know not everyone changes but most people with maturity focus on the superficial less than when they were teenagers.  I think tho of your (not you you) don't change your own perception you will see people as hey we're not as they are.

I can only use my own experience. I'm didn't have a lot of friends in HS school but now am friendly with many of them because it's no longer about who's wearing what and what people look like...I'm saying it's more personal now than superficial as it has been.

It's not everyone everywhere I just feel like when you get older you don't have to try as hard or you care less. Plus what's important now is way different than what was important then

Gotcha. And thank the air for that, um haha. Can you imagine people being as superficial as they were in Junior high? I would rather not be alive.  :\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/15 at 4:19 pm

I wonder if you got a bad impression of me from my Facebook rant back in June (understandably so). Sure, some of what I said about them weren't true, but a lot were (I'm not telling the percentage). If someone's treated that way for a long time (10/11 years to be exact) the way my parents treated me, they would get pretty explosive or angry too. Add to that, I'm was in a mentally weak, unstable, and sensitive place, and I'm supposed to act all serene and mature about it? I'm not saying you think that I should have been that way, I just mean that some people actually expect that from me, because I didn't tell them the whole picture, the whole pieces of the puzzle of the picture.

My illness got so bad that I literally lost friends because of it. It made me rude, unstable, unsocial, I didn't care for myself (brush teeth, shower). It was extremely debilitating. Quite frankly, I should have had a care taker or a helper/teacher as young as age 5. I don't blame my parents but the way they dealt with it was quite atrocious. I mean, what way am I supposed to feel?

"That's okay mom, just treat me like dirt!" Does that sound like reality to you?

I wonder if this situation back in late June effected the way you viewed me, and since then you've been a bit more critical of me than usual. To be honest about my parents without revealing too much, my parents have an ego problem and can lie like no tomorrow, LOL. The ego problem is only partly cultural but I feel, instinctively, that big egos just run genetically in my family, so I don't think it's all cultural.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/15 at 4:30 pm

I think I suffered from some type of post traumatic stress effects for like seven years (age 18/19 to 25). I was in such a weak state that I was so debilitated for most of my life until 18/19. Some people's nasty personalities were exacerbated by like twenty times because of this weakened state. My mother and father, putting my emotions aside, weren't really good at dealing with it, in truth they were horrible, nasty, even immoral and ethical. I can be more detached about it now because they're treating me better these days. But healing from over two decades of being debilitated, there was no way I could have thought or acted straight, or right 100% of the time.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/15 at 7:54 pm

Plus, your complaint against my calorie counting on the weight loss thread, and your complaint against some point of view I had on my writing progress on the September 2015 thread, proves, or is at least evidence, that you have biased views and agendas that you want to shove down my throat.

Here is what you said in the September 2015 thread.

"Who created this arbitrary timeline you think you need to follow. You are as far as you need to be at the time of writing. If you were meant to be at 200 pgs by now you would.

Whether you're not at 200 because of writers block, life interferences or laziness is irrelevant.

You are where you are. Celebrate that and stop racing some imaginary line that only exists in your head."

Sorry but that was immature, and the energy from you is very condescending and patronizing. I was being modest. You, of all people, should know that tone and context, can't be read online, yet you're very critical of my comment(s).

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/15 at 8:03 pm

Here are your comments from the Weight loss thread.

If one is going to eat pie then one should never read the caloric intake of said pie.. Just eat the damn pie! (or since this is the weight loss thread you shouldn't eat pie... but if you do decide to eat pie there is no reason to look at the calorie intake...that's just double sabotage).

Honestly I think if you want pie them have pie (but have a reasonable amount...like a small slice) I just don't see what value there is in eating a pie and then counting the calories I mean it's pie. It may have 400 calories but 400 calories of sugar do way more damage than than 400 cals of veggies. Because it's sugar so, if you choose to eat the pie accept that you ate pie and move on....us know?

I think what I'm trying to say is calories aren't the end all be all...yes you can eat x number of calories in a day but even if you stayed under your caloric intake daily but only met your calories eating crap you will never get fit because your still eating crap no matter how many calories it is its still crap.

Honestly, your ego is out of control and you make everything about you, when it's not.  ::)  ::)

And your attitude is very patronizing, not everyone has the same views or opinions as you. And even if someone is wrong, so what? As long as their comments don't affect their environment or the world around them, or people around them, it doesn't matter. If it doesn't affect anything or anyone negatively, it doesn't matter. My comments aren't on the national, or even local news, are they? You want everything to be about you, so here it is. Now's your chance to make this thread all about you and your views!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/15 at 8:14 pm

Here are the web addresses.

The writing one.  http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=52147.300

The weight loss one.  http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=33937.2400

Written By: snozberries on 10/18/15 at 2:15 am

A) I thought we were talking about high school reunions not parents.

B) I was more concerned for you after your fb rants than judgemental and said as
Much to you in the messages we exchanged there

C) I'm not sure why you read the writing comment as a critique it was never meant to be...I just meant you were where you were in the book because that's where you were. I just meant there's no real rule writing if you want to write 200 pages awesome but don't be down on yourself because you haven't written 200
Pages. 

Basically a was trying to say celebrate where you are not be down on yourself
For not Accomplishing more.  :-\\

D) I'm gonna stand by what I said in the weight loss is page because I don't think people should count the calories in pie. Just enjoy the pie and say I'll Do Better tomorrow but don't stress over the act of eating pie.
And I also stand by my pie calories are different from "regular" calories. If you only are 1200 calories a day and all 1200 of those calories were pie. All day every day you would not have the same result if you only ate 1200 calories of veggies.  It's just the simple truth.

But I wasn't picking on you we were have no a dialogue and I stated my opinion on the matter. I have the same struggle with weight you have so I'm the last person to be criticizing what people eat.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/18/15 at 4:32 pm

Nope.

There is no reason for me to go.  :\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 10/18/15 at 6:15 pm

Nope.

High school was alright for me. Not that exciting but okay. The people were overall nice with a few bad apples.  ;D

I was too in my own world to make friends during that era. This is the number one reason I won't be going, I don't have any personal connections to go. Basically, I didn't get to know anyone deeply during high school.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/21/15 at 12:56 am

I went to my 25th reunion.  I just didn't really have much to talk to people about.  My hubby is much more comfortable talking so he pretty much cajoled me into talking to a girl/lady that I did not know in high school.  :-\\  ;D  But it was fine.  It was a nice time, and I won the 50/50 raffle (which coincidently (or not so) was the amount of money that equated to the year I graduated - $87.

Written By: Howard on 10/23/15 at 9:21 am

Nope.

I didn't go to mine.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/15 at 7:40 pm

I don't know Snozberries. I think we're just too volatile for each other, and we communicate too differently.

But inthe00s isn't the same without you and I guess I'll just read your comments from now on without responding. These comments here don't count though.  :D  :D

Written By: snozberries on 10/24/15 at 5:58 am

I don't know Snozberries. I think we're just too volatile for each other, and we communicate too differently.

But inthe00s isn't the same without you and I guess I'll just read your comments from now on without responding. These comments here don't count though.  :D  :D

I had no idea you were reading the posts differently than intended. Sometimes you replied with emoticons that suggested you got where my intentions lie.

If I had a real issue with you I would've taken it to pm because a) it's a more fair to address personal issues in private and b) that's how we talked thru other issues on fb.

Friends can have differences of opinions and remain friends but if you feel judgement behind every word I type perhaps it's best I don't reply to you at all either. 

Written By: 80sfan on 10/24/15 at 9:33 am

I had no idea you were reading the posts differently than intended. Sometimes you replied with emoticons that suggested you got where my intentions lie.

If I had a real issue with you I would've taken it to pm because a) it's a more fair to address personal issues in private and b) that's how we talked thru other issues on fb.

Friends can have differences of opinions and remain friends but if you feel judgement behind every word I type perhaps it's best I don't reply to you at all either.

I guess.  :(  ;D

Written By: Katluver on 11/15/15 at 4:50 pm

High school was alright for me. Not that exciting but okay. The people were overall nice with a few bad apples.  ;D

I was too in my own world to make friends during that era. This is the number one reason I won't be going, I don't have any personal connections to go. Basically, I didn't get to know anyone deeply during high school.

Sounds like my high school experience. 
I remember 15 years after finishing high school, I was living only about a 5-6 hour drive away before I moved all the way out onto the west coast so I called up the only real friend that I've remained in touch since high school to see if she was planning on attending.  She didn't have much interest in going, and with the fee that I would have to pay as well as the travel aspect, I decided not to bother.

Written By: Katluver on 11/15/15 at 4:51 pm

Part of my morning routine is to read the paper as I have my first cup of tea. Along with that is reading Dear Abby. This was a letter in there a few weeks ago that just made me angry.

Dear Abby: Today was my high school reunion. I was the most notable student for all the wrong reasons. I was born with some birth defects and learning disabilities. I overcame them, but it was hard. While working blue-collar jobs, I lived in my car for a few years.

On a cold winter night several years ago, I met Dr. X in the emergency room. He was a former classmate of mine, and we pretended not to know one another. He discovered I was living in my car and heard some of my story. Then he arranged for me to be admitted to the hospital for a day so I could get warmed up and recover. When I left the hospital, I found a $100 bill in the gas tank door of my van. I’m sure it was from him.

I now have a home of my own and I’m doing OK, considering everything. When I sent my reservation and check to the reunion committee, it was returned uncashed with a $50 bill along with a note saying “Please don’t come.” The reunion was being held on the estate of Dr. X.

I guess my classmates are more closed-minded than I thought they would be. I was hoping age would mellow them. In addition to the reservation return, I have seen a few forwarded emails mocking my attempts to find out about the event. I hope none of those people were blessed with a child with learning or physical issues.

I guess people never change on some things. Thankfully, I have found nicer, caring people along my journey in life, and for that I’d like to thank all of the kind people in the world.

Unexpected Success

Dear Unexpected Success: Your letter shocked me. I am glad to know how you are doing. Although people age, it’s apparent that not all of them mature.

In case you haven’t yet realized it, you weren’t the only student in your class with problems. People who would behave as you have described were obviously born without a heart. It is inexcusable for you to have been treated the way you were. In recognition of the challenges you have overcome, you should have been the guest of honor at the reunion.

I hope that all of you who are hoping to planning on attending your high school reunion do not have to put up with assholes who never matured.

Cat

That's horrible!  May karma bite that doctor in the butt (pardon the pun).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/16/15 at 12:20 am

I won't be going to my 30th (if there is one.)  I, hopefully, will be in Asia and at some point Australia.  And I'm not flying back several thousand miles to not get talked to.  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/16/15 at 3:22 am

I've been to my 10th, 20th, and 25th reunions (I graduated high school in 1989).

It's weird, I wasn't exactly one of the popular kids so every time I've gone to a class reunion I was always kind of apprehensive about it, but I've always ended up having 100 times more fun than I was expecting to and most people seemed really glad to see me.

Every class reunion seemed to go down the same way. Everyone was always a little stiff and formal for the first hour or so, but after we all had several drinks in us, we'd all loosen up and start laughing and having a good time.

My 25th reunion was held in the bar in the small town I grew up in, and the highlight of it was when I witnessed several of the popular girls (and their husbands/boyfriends) going into the men's restroom and then running out and laughing hysterically. Naturally I had to investigate and I asked one of them what was up and they told me that I just had to go in and look in one of the stalls.

So I went inside and opened the stall door and as God is my witness, inside the toilet was the most massive, gigantic turd I'd ever seen in my life. I'm not exaggerating, it was at least as big as a loaf of bread.

Of course I ran out laughing hysterically as well, and I thought it was awesome that all these people (whom I never really knew that well) still had a sense of humor that was every bit as immature and juvenile as mine.  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/16/15 at 11:11 am

I've been to my 10th, 20th, and 25th reunions (I graduated high school in 1989).

It's weird, I wasn't exactly one of the popular kids so every time I've gone to a class reunion I was always kind of apprehensive about it, but I've always ended up having 100 times more fun than I was expecting to and most people seemed really glad to see me.

Every class reunion seemed to go down the same way. Everyone was always a little stiff and formal for the first hour or so, but after we all had several drinks in us, we'd all loosen up and start laughing and having a good time.

My 25th reunion was held in the bar in the small town I grew up in, and the highlight of it was when I witnessed several of the popular girls (and their husbands/boyfriends) going into the men's restroom and then running out and laughing hysterically. Naturally I had to investigate and I asked one of them what was up and they told me that I just had to go in and look in one of the stalls.

So I went inside and opened the stall door and as God is my witness, inside the toilet was the most massive, gigantic turd I'd ever seen in my life. I'm not exaggerating, it was at least as big as a loaf of bread.

Of course I ran out laughing hysterically as well, and I thought it was awesome that all these people (whom I never really knew that well) still had a sense of humor that was every bit as immature and juvenile as mine.  :D

That actually happened once where I used to work. My supervisor was also the building manager and showed it to me. He was trying to figure out how to dispose of it. It was WAY too big to be flushed. I can't remember the solution.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/16/15 at 12:53 pm

That actually happened once where I used to work. My supervisor was also the building manager and showed it to me. He was trying to figure out how to dispose of it. It was WAY too big to be flushed. I can't remember the solution.

Cat

I'm thinking the best way to go about this would be to grab a shovel and maybe use it to break it up into smaller pieces. (Or maybe just use the shovel to scoop it out.) Either way, I'm just glad that wasn't my job.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/16/15 at 12:59 pm

I'm thinking the best way to go about this would be to grab a shovel and maybe use it to break it up into smaller pieces. (Or maybe just use the shovel to scoop it out.) Either way, I'm just glad that wasn't my job.

Glad it wasn't mine job, either. I think what someone suggested was bleach-hoping that would have broken it up.

Cat

Written By: Redhairkid on 11/19/15 at 6:10 am

I never went to my high school reunion. All we have in common is that we attended school at the same time. I have absolutely nothing to say to them whatsoever.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/15 at 3:58 pm

I think my 20th high school reunion was a couple of years ago but I never attended it.

Written By: nally on 11/30/15 at 11:09 pm

I think my 20th high school reunion was a couple of years ago but I never attended it.

Mine will be in 2018, and I hope to attend it.

Earlier this year I realized that the students who graduated from high school while I was still a freshman (this was in 1995) had their 20 year reunion this year!! :o

Check for new replies or respond here...