inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where's Cat?

Written By: Katluver on 09/22/13 at 7:00 pm

I haven't seen her on here lately.  ???

Subject: Re: Where's Cat?

Written By: gibbo on 09/22/13 at 8:12 pm

Don't know ... ask Don Carlos.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/23/13 at 7:31 pm

I have had the request to state my side of the story so here it is:

I had been PMing with with a bunch of people. Then, Carlos who does not understand the concept of believing in God asked the Christian members to try to explain it to him. Granted he probably could have asked the question a bit better but people totally misunderstood what he was asking and totally took offense. It was about this time that the PMs to me totally stopped without so much as an explanation. And when I asked, I didn't get an answer.

Then it became open season on my husband. He was accused of all sorts of things. And when he stood up for himself, he was call a jerk, a troll, and that he was spewing hate. He wasn't the one calling people names. And these were the people who I called friends. And what I said or what he said wouldn't matter. In their eyes, my husband is no better than pond scum and they are fudging him left and right for the most pettiest things. "Oh, he made a post so I'm going to fudge him."

I have had enough. I have lost too much sleep over this place and decided it wasn't worth it. I know when the sh!t hits the fan who is going to be at my back-Carlos! He has been there for me when no one else has been. And why should I act as if nothing happened and that everything is hunky dory? I am just tired of the pettiness! 

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 09/23/13 at 7:45 pm

I had been PMing with with a bunch of people. Then, Carlos who does not understand the concept of believing in God asked the Christian members to try to explain it to him. Granted he probably could have asked the question a bit better but people totally misunderstood what he was asking and totally took offense. It was about this time that the PMs to me totally stopped without so much as an explanation. And when I asked, I didn't get an answer.

Then it became open season on my husband. He was accused of all sorts of things. And when he stood up for himself, he was call a jerk, a troll, and that he was spewing hate. He wasn't the one calling people names. And these were the people who I called friends. And what I said or what he said wouldn't matter. In their eyes, my husband is no better than pond scum and they are fudging him left and right for the most pettiest things. "Oh, he made a post so I'm going to fudge him."

I have had enough. I have lost too much sleep over this place and decided it wasn't worth it. I know when the sh!t hits the fan who is going to be at my back-Carlos! He has been there for me when no one else has been. And why should I act as if nothing happened and that everything is hunky dory? I am just tired of the pettiness! 

Cat

I saw his original post and didn't take offense at all. I'm surprised anyone did!  :o  Although, I haven't seen any further of the discussion posts that have caused issue ... I DO get that this stuff can become emotive and I HAVE personnaly experienced a backlash when I have expressed my Christian viewpoint on these boards. I now do not enter such heated discussions as I don't come here to make THAT kind of trouble.  I make different kind of trouble... ;)

Let's be honest ... the chances of converting anyone to my viewpoint in this medium are remote. That's not a dig at the people here ... just being real.

Cat ... I'm sorry that Carlos and you have been upset.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/13 at 8:55 pm

Well, I hope it didn't have anything to do with me.  I love Don Carlos.  I do have a colorful debating style, but I strive not to upset my friends.

Written By: snozberries on 09/23/13 at 9:10 pm

Since you havent responded to the PMs I actually did send you I will say my piece here.

you can chose to read or not. 

none of us (including carlos) is innocent  of what happened in that thread.
ETA: I was never offended  by Carlos message (per se) just his method of delivery... It should be made clear that this all started months ago when he brought up religion in another thread.... he hurt a few people in that thread and, when he started the new one, the feelings were still raw...  now he's started a new one. It feels like he's looking to stir up more contraversy than these boards need and I'm falling for it.

As I stated - I have had some strong feeelings but out of respect for you I never verbalized them before.
your husband said equally hateful things about me....and he took his remarks outside of the thread (yet I never fudged him...not once in the whole ordeal) In fact, I stopped responding to him all together in order to keep things civil.

I will say I'm not happy that there is a rift between us but I'm at peace with speaking my mind. I have seen no evidence that my initial opinions are not in fact valid and so I stand by them... unfortunately the thread is deleted so there is no way to go back and mine for evidence...

It matters not. I have said, if you want to hear, I will tell where my opinions, formed many years ago (and never waning) - but that's not a discussion for public boards...

I did apologize to you in the thread, I reached out to you in PMs  and.... if you recall... you complained about logging in during your trip and finding 55 pms in your in box.... that's when the pm's stopped coming... and that was before the crap hit the fan in the religion thread.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/23/13 at 9:31 pm

Hey, Cat?  I never got a PM asking why they stopped.  How do you expect an answer when you don't answer a question.    I haven't heard from you since the last pm about SLC.  I have let it go because you were hurt, I know that.  But, if you had asked I would have responded. 

As for the religious blow up?  It was pointed out more than once what bothered us about the way he was expressing his opinion and we were still treated as though we were beneath him because we believe differently.  I don't mind when opinions differ, I just don't like it being implied that I am stupid because my opinions differ.  My main problem was the post he put in the aids thread.  It totally implied stupidity for believing in something out there.  Ending the post with "There is no God, DEAL WITH IT" doesn't sound like you want discussion, it implies you are spoiling for a fight.  When I explained why I believe, my post was totally ignored. 

Beyond that, the digs from Carlos have spilled into other threads outside the politics board.  He is not innocent in all this.

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/23/13 at 9:41 pm

I never saw a post from you asking for explanations.  I only saw the post that you wanted to meet.  I was at State Fair, you didn't want to meet there and then you didn't have time.  The next post was you saying you did not have time for 55 pm's while traveling.  So I excluded you from further.  Did not want to bother you further, except when I needed a friend referring to my family and our cat.  All this was before I ever became disenchanted by Carlos.

I tried to play nice.  But I was personally attacked when my own Pm was twisted and used to try and make a point on how "petty" I was.  I will not stand for someone putting me down!  I am not a carpet that one can use at their will!  I am a human being and an equal!

This isn't the first instance.  I have felt degraded by Carlos.  I wish I would have stated it before, but I tried to "keep the piece."  But the comments about my children being "over indulged" still burns like acid.  He wanted to know how I could judge him without ever meeting me.  I at least read his posts.  I know his opinions.  If he doesn't express them correctly, then that problem is on him.  He on the other hand has never met my family... And this mama bear ain't having it!  I let it fester.  This popped the infection.

Sorry this hurts you.  Not my intention, I tried to avoid it.  I left the boards for months, avoiding it.  But them when I come back, they poked the bear with the stick yet again.  This time, I am tired of being poked.  I have had it, and I am standing up against anything putting me down! 

I hope, for your sake, Carlos makes you happy.  Rejoice in it! You posts and your grimaces  :-\\ have told me a different story.  I am a pretty good read on character, but in your case, I guess I am wrong. 

I am sorry for the bother this has caused you.  But that is all I am sorry for!!! 

Written By: gibbo on 09/23/13 at 10:05 pm

Users Online 6 Guests, 6 Users (3 Hidden)

Hey ... it's getting crowded here in the shadow's!!!  ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/23/13 at 10:12 pm

Users Online 6 Guests, 6 Users (3 Hidden)

Hey ... it's getting crowded here in the shadow's!!!  ;)
we all want to be like you!  Lol

You were even involved in one of those "gratuitous" digs!  To bad it didn't work out!!!  Lol!

Written By: gibbo on 09/23/13 at 10:25 pm

we all want to be like you!  Lol

You were even involved in one of those "gratuitous" digs!  To bad it didn't work out!!!  Lol!

Just thought I'd shine a torch into the shadows.  ;D

I'm a hard person to really insult. But I'm sure that wasn't the intent anyway.

An update:
Users Online 6 Guests, 5 Users (4 Hidden)

Written By: snozberries on 09/23/13 at 10:34 pm

Just thought I'd shine a torch into the shadows.  ;D

I'm a hard person to really insult. But I'm sure that wasn't the intent anyway.

An update:
Users Online 6 Guests, 5 Users (4 Hidden)

I went into hiding months ago because I got tired of people looking at what I was doing... 
choosing to be hidden is my choice and is in no way related to the circumstances outlined above...

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/23/13 at 10:39 pm

http://i.imgur.com/jOqfQFc.jpg

We've all been dicks to other people from time to time.

To mistake rhetorical flourish for actual dickery is bad.  To make rhetorical flourish, have it taken as actual dickery, and mistake the expected rhetorical flourish in return for actual dickery is even worse.  Spend more than ten minutes in any thread populated by actual dicks, and you'll soon learn to blow it all off.  On behalf of the apathetic agnostics ("We don't know, we don't care!"), I'd like to applaud both sides of the theist/atheist debate for being pretty civilized about it.  I'd also like to suggest that they both let bygones be bygones.  What we have in common:  an interest in pop culture, current events, and a desire to express our opinions honestly and forthrightly, far outweighs the occasional head-butting over things like theology, politics, and philosophy.

For those trying to read between the lines, stop trying to figure out who I thought was first to mistake a rhetorical flourish for the first dickmove, because there's no hidden agenda in this post.  We all did, myself included, and I've been careful about offering any opinion on whether there's a God or not.  That's for a reason for that, which is that I haven't a freaking clue, I've got kudos and brickbats for arguments both pro and con, but you all sound like pretty neat people.  I don't think any more, or any less, of any of you for whatever beliefs you hold dear, regardless of whether they coincide with mine.

http://i.imgur.com/KNmXjJc.gif

Welcome to the Internet.  People disagree on stuff.  Ones and zeroes beat the hell out of tears, fists, guns, and bombs, which have been the alternatives for the past few thousands years of human history.  There's no winner in rock-paper-scissors, it's just a fun game-(preview says 2 more new posts?  Screw this.  You're awesome, the people you bicker with here are also awesome.  Deal with it.)

Written By: gibbo on 09/23/13 at 10:55 pm

I went into hiding months ago because I got tired of people looking at what I was doing... 
choosing to be hidden is my choice and is in no way related to the circumstances outlined above...

I forgot you were always invisible these days (as well as myself)...  :)

Written By: snozberries on 09/23/13 at 10:58 pm

http://i.imgur.com/jOqfQFc.jpg

We've all been dicks to other people from time to time.

To mistake rhetorical flourish for actual dickery is bad.  To make rhetorical flourish, have it taken as actual dickery, and mistake the expected rhetorical flourish in return for actual dickery is even worse.  Spend more than ten minutes in any thread populated by actual dicks, and you'll soon learn to blow it all off.  On behalf of the apathetic agnostics ("We don't know, we don't care!"), I'd like to applaud both sides of the theist/atheist debate for being pretty civilized about it.  I'd also like to suggest that they both let bygones be bygones.  What we have in common:  an interest in pop culture, current events, and a desire to express our opinions honestly and forthrightly, far outweighs the occasional head-butting over things like theology, politics, and philosophy.

For those trying to read between the lines, stop trying to figure out who I thought was first to mistake a rhetorical flourish for the first dickmove, because there's no hidden agenda in this post.  We all did, myself included, and I've been careful about offering any opinion on whether there's a God or not.  That's for a reason for that, which is that I haven't a freaking clue, I've got kudos and brickbats for arguments both pro and con, but you all sound like pretty neat people.  I don't think any more, or any less, of any of you for whatever beliefs you hold dear, regardless of whether they coincide with mine.

http://i.imgur.com/KNmXjJc.gif

Welcome to the Internet.  People disagree on stuff.  Ones and zeroes beat the hell out of tears, fists, guns, and bombs, which have been the alternatives for the past few thousands years of human history.  There's no winner in rock-paper-scissors, it's just a fun game-(preview says 2 more new posts?  Screw this.  You're awesome, the people you bicker with here are also awesome.  Deal with it.)

It would be nice if everyone could just act like adults and move on... I'm ready to and I don't think a friendship has to end just because you don't like your friend's spouse.  I have several real world friends who's spouse I don't think much of but i'm still able to maintain the friendship... we just talk about other things.  But it takes two people to be willing to have a dialogue and move on.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/13 at 11:07 pm

It would be nice if everyone could just act like adults and move on... I'm ready to and I don't think a friendship has to end just because you don't like your friend's spouse.  I have several real world friends who's spouse I don't think much of but i'm still able to maintain the friendship... we just talk about other things.  But it takes two people to be willing to have a dialogue and move on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XREnvJRkif0

Written By: 80sfan on 09/23/13 at 11:17 pm

Well whatever, you're all smarter people than me because at least you people weren't self-destructive like I was like just 6 years ago. You were all hellbent on destroying each other! ;D ;D

I'm only half-joking!  :-X

On a more serious note, religions and beliefs are so deep rooted in our minds and hearts, that when someone questions it (even objectively), sometimes all common sense can be lost. This passion and fight can be seen in politics too.

In my humble opinion, complete and total objectivity can't be achieved in human beings, no matter how 'detach' we like to think we can be. Because at the end of the day you and I aren't robots. We feel, we have biases, past experiences, and we sure as hell have opinions. You can be objective 20% of the time, 70% of the time, and even 80% of the time, but 100? Or even 90? That's questionable.

Written By: Katluver on 09/23/13 at 11:18 pm

Cat

I'm really sad to hear about this news.  :(
I miss having you on here---you seem like a cool person (from one "kat" to another).
I'm not on here on a consistent regular basis so it's not my place to judge with what's been happening, but I really hope that you all will forgive and find peace with one another.
Sharing some flower power:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp9NgrBOlyY

Written By: snozberries on 09/24/13 at 12:03 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XREnvJRkif0

Like I said it would be nice if people could just act like adults and move on...  ::)

I'm not sure what your purpose was in posting that....it may have been a lame attempt at humor or a dig at me.. I'm not sure so I'm just gonna ignore it and go on with my life.

Written By: Tam on 09/24/13 at 2:46 am

I, personally, stayed away from that new thread. Why?
Let's be honest. There is no love lost between Carlos and I, he and I both know it.
The thread that tipped it over the edge for me was back in February. I had my say, he had his, I moved on.

What kind of struck me as odd: In early August, in pms with you and several others, we were talking about why each of us aren't around so much etc. I stated my reasons and also named Carlos. I said:

... I am over them. Their attitudes and ignorance towards others makes me want to puke.

Within a matter of days the new Religion thread popped up. Imagine my non-surprise. And why all of a sudden was a thread started about the same topic he walked away from before?
Yes, you're right. I'm outta here

But this time, I stayed out of it. I knew I could not remain objective or control my emotions. I would have lost my faculties and any sense of reason. So, I informed Al-B that the moderating of the thread was up to him. Of course I read the whole thing, but had to walk away. Some of the things I wanted to say and do to the thread would have been unbecoming indeed.

Honestly, we will have to agree to disagree here. I cannot say that Carlos was standing up for himself; unless of course standing up for himself includes making others feel stupid and attaching an air of superiority to his comments. That being said, I have to remember that tone of voice cannot be inferred on a message board. It is left up to the reader to translate. That is how it translated to me.

Cat

I sat here for days trying to understand the whole thing. To be perfectly honest, I still don't understand it, nor do I understand why yet another thread on Religion and Spirituality has been started. I don't understand why a thread about the First Amendment appeared and immediately afterwards, the 'What is this section about' thread was unlocked. I don't understand the constant repetition or the constant instigation.

As for pettiness, if it is going to be laid out then it should be laid at ALL parties feet.

I am sorry that you feel this way and I am sorry you think you have no friends left here. I had thought we were friends. A spouse, relative, other friends doesn't change who the person is to me. We are each our own person and if we can't accept each other, flaws and all, then there probably isn't a strong basis for a friendship to begin with. It saddens me when I read about Carlos having your back - that you feel you have to make a choice. He is your husband - of course you are going to choose him. But what really saddens me is that you think any one of your friends here would ever make you choose.

Tam
xo

Written By: snozberries on 09/24/13 at 2:52 am

of course you are going to choose him. But what really saddens me is that you think any one of your friends here would ever make you choose.

Couldn't have said it any better. Particularly the last bit which I've quoted for emphasis.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/13 at 6:50 am

So you just want to stay away from the crowd?  ???

Written By: Howard on 09/24/13 at 6:54 am

sometimes we have to learn to agree to disagree.

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/13 at 8:26 am

Circle gets the square

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2006/hosts/tomb.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/24/13 at 9:07 am

I am sorry that you feel this way and I am sorry you think you have no friends left here. I had thought we were friends. A spouse, relative, other friends doesn't change who the person is to me. We are each our own person and if we can't accept each other, flaws and all, then there probably isn't a strong basis for a friendship to begin with. It saddens me when I read about Carlos having your back - that you feel you have to make a choice. He is your husband - of course you are going to choose him. But what really saddens me is that you think any one of your friends here would ever make you choose.

Tam
xo

I never said that Carlos is innocent in all of this-he was responding to the attacks against him. And as for the other threads that he is has started, this is something that he is searching for answers about-which instead of people answer his questions, they are jumping all over him.

As for being friends with someone who dislikes my husband, that depends on how far that dislike is willing to go. Some of you have said some very hateful things-and he has said some hateful things, too.

I have decided to just walk away from all of this. This place has turned toxic.

Cat

Written By: Inertia on 09/24/13 at 4:40 pm

I never said that Carlos is innocent in all of this-he was responding to the attacks against him. And as for the other threads that he is has started, this is something that he is searching for answers about-which instead of people answer his questions, they are jumping all over him.

As for being friends with someone who dislikes my husband, that depends on how far that dislike is willing to go. Some of you have said some very hateful things-and he has said some hateful things, too.

Cat

I understand he is seeking answers, yet I believe the way someone asks a question can make it offensive or not. I am an atheist, but I can see how some of the posts he made in that particular thread could offend someone religious.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/13 at 7:28 pm

Circle gets the square

http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2006/hosts/tomb.jpg

::) ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/24/13 at 10:51 pm

So you just want to stay away from the crowd?  ???

no I just got tired of people scrutinizing my activity.

well said.

Written By: snozberries on 09/24/13 at 10:55 pm

Cat

I think the question was answered many ways but different people... 
His approach was quite abrasive and off-putting.
I for one have offered to discuss my pov in this whole thing... perhaps you don't want to hear it but if you ever change you mind I'm willing to talk it out.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/25/13 at 1:12 am

Here's my 2 cents...for what it's worth....granted, I missed whatever happened previously so I'm ONLY going on what has happened recently....and it's probably not going to make me any friends on EITHER side of the argument....I also have nothing really "against" ANYONE involved because I can see BOTH sides of the argument....

I saw dead horses being beaten on both sides....was Carlos being condescending towards the "believers"? Yes. Were they retaliating? Yes. From an "outsider's point of view" it was blatantly obvious that there was some "pent up frustrations" being let out over stuff that has been brewing for quite a while. The thing is that comparing someone's religious beliefs to "the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, etc" (and I believe I have even been guilty of that in the past so I'm not claiming innocence in that matter) is not going to "smooth things over" and is only going to serve one purpose....to add fuel to an already smoldering fire. However, I know better than anyone, when one feels like they are being attacked, their first instinct is to fight back and the filter between the brain and mouth (or fingers in this case) gets thinner and thinner until it virtually disappears (again, I've also been known to do this so I'm just as guilty as anyone else). I think the proverbial straw that TRULY broke the camel's back was Carlos made the contents of a PM public...a PM that wasn't even sent to HIM and THEN made the comment that "nothing on the internet is really private" when ALL of us have requested Cat's wishes to keep the information she has sent to US in PRIVATE messages just that....PRIVATE. To me, that felt like a slap in the face, saying that OUR requests for privacy meant NOTHING, and I think we ALL know that had the roles been reversed and had WE revealed something you had sent to US in a PRIVATE message, he would have gone apesheesh as well! And quite honestly, I can't blame you for standing behind him, after all, he IS YOUR husband and I think most of us would do the same for our own spouses. I certainly hope you don't feel like you have to choose between your friends and him. I certainly don't want to lose your friendship and I don't think anyone else does either.

And just for the record, I have not, nor would I EVER reveal something to someone that somebody else told me about them in a PM. Even if someone came right out and asked me "Did so-and-so say anything about me?" my response would be "You need to talk to them about that. I'm not getting involved" I have enough of my OWN drama and don't need to get in between anyone else's. I've had people pull that BS on me and 99% of the time whatever they say isn't what I actually said so I just keep my damn mouth shut!

Written By: 80sfan on 09/25/13 at 1:21 am

Here's my 2 cents...for what it's worth....granted, I missed whatever happened previously so I'm ONLY going on what has happened recently....and it's probably not going to make me any friends on EITHER side of the argument....I also have nothing really "against" ANYONE involved because I can see BOTH sides of the argument....

I saw dead horses being beaten on both sides....was Carlos being condescending towards the "believers"? Yes. Were they retaliating? Yes. From an "outsider's point of view" it was blatantly obvious that there was some "pent up frustrations" being let out over stuff that has been brewing for quite a while. The thing is that comparing someone's religious beliefs to "the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, etc" (and I believe I have even been guilty of that in the past so I'm not claiming innocence in that matter) is not going to "smooth things over" and is only going to serve one purpose....to add fuel to an already smoldering fire. However, I know better than anyone, when one feels like they are being attacked, their first instinct is to fight back and the filter between the brain and mouth (or fingers in this case) gets thinner and thinner until it virtually disappears (again, I've also been known to do this so I'm just as guilty as anyone else). I think the proverbial straw that TRULY broke the camel's back was Carlos made the contents of a PM public...a PM that wasn't even sent to HIM and THEN made the comment that "nothing on the internet is really private" when ALL of us have requested Cat's wishes to keep the information she has sent to US in PRIVATE messages just that....PRIVATE. To me, that felt like a slap in the face, saying that OUR requests for privacy meant NOTHING, and I think we ALL know that had the roles been reversed and had WE revealed something you had sent to US in a PRIVATE message, he would have gone apesheesh as well! And quite honestly, I can't blame you for standing behind him, after all, he IS YOUR husband and I think most of us would do the same for our own spouses. I certainly hope you don't feel like you have to choose between your friends and him. I certainly don't want to lose your friendship and I don't think anyone else does either.

And just for the record, I have not, nor would I EVER reveal something to someone that somebody else told me about them in a PM. Even if someone came right out and asked me "Did so-and-so say anything about me?" my response would be "You need to talk to them about that. I'm not getting involved" I have enough of my OWN drama and don't need to get in between anyone else's. I've had people pull that BS on me and 99% of the time whatever they say isn't what I actually said so I just keep my damn mouth shut!

I like this response, thus I am going to karma thee.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/25/13 at 9:23 am

I apologize for revealing something that was conveyed in a PM.  I didn't realize that a PM was the source of the content.  Had I realized that, I wouldn't have mentioned it.  Again, I apologize

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/25/13 at 10:34 am

I apologize for revealing something that was conveyed in a PM.  I didn't realize that a PM was the source of the content.  Had I realized that, I wouldn't have mentioned it.  Again, I apologize
Since that was MY pm, I will respond to this!

hmmm I directly posted that it was from a PM (and defined that as meaning a Private Message)to Cat from me, after you so heartlessly put it out there.  You didn't apologize then...  You didn't even edit and change the content, KNOWING it was an extremely sensitive matter to me...  You did nothing except spew hate and tell us "nothing on the internet is private".  I have taken that to heart!  I have been researching, and things are quite interesting! 

Thank you for the apology.  But like you usually are...  Too little, too late!  Your colors are out there! 

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/25/13 at 8:52 pm

And with this, Howard is officially the wisest person on the board.

Thank you for the apology.  But like you usually are...  Too little, too late!  Your colors are out there!

And y'know what?  I'm a relative outsider to the debate, and it's only now occurred to me that maybe this whole flap wasn't about theology after all.  If this was all about an electronic faux pas (a moderately one as far as message board drama goes, on a scale from jaywalking to playing GTA V with real cars, probably comparable to doing 89 in a 65 zone :), Carlos, that was a silly thing you did, and apologizing was the right thing to do, which you did.  And 2kidsami, accepting his apology was also the right thing to do, which you did.  Y'know what?  Not that it matters to either of you, and not that it's even any of my business, but you're both OK in my books.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/25/13 at 10:23 pm

And y'know what?  I'm a relative outsider to the debate, and it's only now occurred to me that maybe this whole flap wasn't about theology after all.  If this was all about an electronic faux pas (a moderately one as far as message board drama goes, on a scale from jaywalking to playing GTA V with real cars, probably comparable to doing 89 in a 65 zone :), Carlos, that was a silly thing you did, and apologizing was the right thing to do, which you did.  And 2kidsami, accepting his apology was also the right thing to do, which you did.  Y'know what?  Not that it matters to either of you, and not that it's even any of my business, but you're both OK in my books.
You might be on to something here.....I'll just leave it at that.....

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/25/13 at 10:45 pm

You might be on to something here.....I'll just leave it at that.....

As Robert Fulghum put it, All I really needed to know, I learned in kindergarten

Written By: snozberries on 09/26/13 at 12:09 am

Not to split hairs but I did say something about agreeing to disagree in two threads....one thread was deleted. The other was ignored.

And, I don't think Sami actually accepted that apology

But nice try foo  :)

Written By: gibbo on 09/26/13 at 1:11 am

Not to split hairs but I did say something about agreeing to disagree in two threads....one thread was deleted. The other was ignored.

Yes .. that's the way I read "too little, too late".

Written By: snozberries on 09/26/13 at 3:19 am

Yes .. that's the way I read "too little, too late".

Not mention the 'thank you but' no mistaking that but negates the thank you.

Written By: ninny on 09/26/13 at 5:41 am

First off if Cat is leaving for good I'm sorry to see her go, I've always thought of her as a friend. As a wife I'm not sure how I would react if Tim was on here and his views were greatly different than those of others and I thought people were ganging up on him. Also how would I react if I thought he was in the wrong, those things are hard to say.

Written By: Howard on 09/26/13 at 7:04 am

Thank You.  :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/26/13 at 10:27 am

We agree on that one

Written By: snozberries on 09/26/13 at 11:30 am

We agree on that one

Too be fair I didn't think it was much of an apology either

Written By: 80sfan on 09/26/13 at 2:33 pm

http://www.chicagonow.com/love-other-things/files/2011/11/burnt-bridge.jpg

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/26/13 at 6:03 pm

Oh I accepted the apology, and I am grateful that the attempt was finally made.  The issue could have become a non-issue much earlier in the conversation (even before I was involved).  As I stated in my earlier p.m. there were numerous ways to correct it then.  None done.

I accept and yes, even forgive him on the issue of using MY P.M. to CAT as an attempt to show how petty I was.  It was a feeble attempt, and people saw him for what he was, as I outed myself on the board and clarified what he tried to morph into his needs. 

Here is where my but comes in...  do not get confused as to my acceptance of his apology as forgiveness of other acts towards me or others.  Do not mistake my kindness as weakness... 

Notice that it is others posts that keep bringing it back up.  I am only addressing it to clarify. 

Written By: gibbo on 09/26/13 at 7:12 pm

Okay then ... so what was the original question?  Oh yeah ... where's that Cat at?  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/13 at 8:09 pm

As Robert Fulghum put it, All I really needed to know, I learned in kindergarten.

I'm So Sweet I Sh*t Ice Cream by Robert Fulghum
:P

I remember that guy from the early days of Oprah!

Written By: snozberries on 09/26/13 at 8:15 pm

Okay... I guess I read it wrong. I stand corrected

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/28/13 at 12:53 am

I'm So Sweet I Sh*t Ice Cream by Robert Fulghum
:P

I remember that guy from the early days of Oprah!

And now for a word from the good Doctor.  Dr. Who?  No, Dr. Seuss!

What Dr. Seuss Was Really Up To

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CGx6c7TiFa0/TzFzJK4s5TI/AAAAAAAADIA/TmRmIxiho_8/s1600/drseuss1.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-A57bu16nli8/TzFzMXXfwTI/AAAAAAAADII/xyOAfpwXCXQ/s1600/drseuss2.jpg

For those of a more academic bent, welcome to the Internet, a place where, just like the real world, different people with different cultural values respond to slights in different ways: consider the cultures described in Insult, Aggression, and the Southern Culture of Honor vs the cultural milieux of the Brits and their humor, in A behavioral genetic investigation of humor styles and their correlations with the Big-5 personality dimensions, which was the 2008 paper that led to a brief flurry of articles suggesting that a predilection for self-deprecating humor is genetic.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/atheists.png

And now that I've completely nerded you all out, owe you all at least one self-deprecating remark.  "I must be part British, Canadian, and Californian, because I am a fan of britcoms who enjoy "negative humor", my reaction when someone steps on my toes is to apologize for having my big feet in the way, and although there are rules, man, prefer to approach life like The Dude from The Big Lebowski, rather than Walter Sobchak."

Check for new replies or respond here...