inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I think I might have low autism/aspergers on the autism spectrum

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/13 at 12:58 am

Should I see a psychologists or doctor? I've always felt a little 'different', but sometimes, like 20%-30% of the time, I feel a bit too obsessive or frustrated over some detail.

Or maybe I'm overreacting, maybe this is just what life is like, and everyone feels frustrated at times. Maybe it's normal, and I just need to take care of myself more?

Any help/advice would be welcomed!

Subject: Re: I think I might have low autism/aspergers on the autism spectrum

Written By: Dagwood on 10/23/13 at 7:24 am

If you think it, then you should definitely get diagnosed.  At least then you can learn how to deal with the issues.  I would say start with your doctor and go from there. 

Written By: warped on 10/23/13 at 9:00 am

Should I see a psychologists or doctor? I've always felt a little 'different', but sometimes, like 20%-30% of the time, I feel a bit too obsessive or frustrated over some detail.

Or maybe I'm overreacting, maybe this is just what life is like, and everyone feels frustrated at times. Maybe it's normal, and I just need to take care of myself more?

Any help/advice would be welcomed!

If you do have autism/aspergers, even low on the spectrum,  I'm surprised it wasn't diagnosed when you were in school. Teachers should be able to pick up on that. 

Like Dag said, and Dag always gives great advice, check this with your doctor.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/13 at 9:57 am

If you think it, then you should definitely get diagnosed.  At least then you can learn how to deal with the issues.  I would say start with your doctor and go from there.

Thanks!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/13 at 10:00 am

If you do have autism/aspergers, even low on the spectrum,  I'm surprised it wasn't diagnosed when you were in school. Teachers should be able to pick up on that. 

Well, it might be I have OCD, more than Aspergers, so I don't know.

If I do have anything that has to do with autism, I'm very low on the scale, like a 2 or 3 out of 10.

Written By: warped on 10/23/13 at 10:05 am

Well, it might be I have OCD, more than Aspergers, so I don't know.

If I do have anything that has to do with autism, I'm very low on the scale, like a 2 or 3 out of 10.

I have always thought that I have very low spectrum aspergers or something related, but very low. I have pretty good social skills but there are other symptoms (which fall into aspergers) that I might have. It isn`t apparent though, but underlying.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/13 at 10:11 am

I have always thought that I have very low spectrum aspergers or something related, but very low. I have pretty good social skills but there are other symptoms (which fall into aspergers) that I might have. It isn`t apparent though, but underlying.

I've always kind of had my obsessive thoughts, but wonder if I have too much of them.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/13 at 10:14 am

It could be my OCD is from my anxiety disorder, just a thought I gave myself.

Written By: Howard on 10/23/13 at 2:38 pm

I've always kind of had my obsessive thoughts, but wonder if I have too much of them.

What do you think about most times?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/23/13 at 4:28 pm

Sadly schools are the last ones to point out children on the spectrum because they don't want to deal with the requirements that go along with the diagnosis.  I really takes a proactive parent or guardian. 

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/13 at 5:03 pm

What do you think about most times?

I think it might be more OCD. Maybe I just have too much time on my hands, also.

My thoughts (maybe because I'm get bored) consist of obsessing over patterns or just numbers/years.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/23/13 at 5:05 pm

I think it might be more OCD. Maybe I just have too much time on my hands, also.

My thoughts (maybe because I'm get bored) consist of obsessing over patterns or just numbers/years.

Definitely get tested. 

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/13 at 5:06 pm

Sadly schools are the last ones to point out children on the spectrum because they don't want to deal with the requirements that go along with the diagnosis.  I really takes a proactive parent or guardian.

Yeah, I'll be 25 in a bit more than a month, I can see a doctor by myself.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/13 at 5:08 pm

Definitely get tested.

Which part of my reply to Howard concerned you the most? :D ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/23/13 at 10:49 pm

If my car makes a noise, I look at it, poke at it, but eventually I take take it to the mechanic.  Expert advice is cheap in comparison to not knowing.  If you're uncomfortable about something, see a doc.  He or she will be better at figuring out than we could ever be.  (You might be perfectly normal.  You might not be, and that's perfectly normal too :)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/23/13 at 11:49 pm

If my car makes a noise, I look at it, poke at it, but eventually I take take it to the mechanic.  Expert advice is cheap in comparison to not knowing.  If you're uncomfortable about something, see a doc.  He or she will be better at figuring out than we could ever be.  (You might be perfectly normal.  You might not be, and that's perfectly normal too :)

Thanks.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/24/13 at 5:07 am

Which part of my reply to Howard concerned you the most? :D ???

Obsession with patterns and numbers are a trademark of Aspbergers/Autism.  Once you understand it you may be able to put it to good use.  You just might have a beautiful mind.  ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/27/13 at 3:12 pm

I talked to a counselor, and she thinks it's more I'm bored and may have cabin fever from being in the house so much. I did go out more yesterday and today, and my obsessions went away. She says if I go out more, and the obsessions return, then it's something more serious though, like OCD, or maybe Aspergers.

But for now I'm fine, I just need to get out more. ;D ;D

Written By: Katluver on 10/27/13 at 4:00 pm

I talked to a counselor, and she thinks it's more I'm bored and may have cabin fever from being in the house so much. I did go out more yesterday and today, and my obsessions went away. She says if I go out more, and the obsessions return, then it's something more serious though, like OCD, or maybe Aspergers.

But for now I'm fine, I just need to get out more. ;D ;D

I'm like that too whenever I'm faced with lengthy cumbersome tasks such as scrubbing the tub. When there's no music or anything to think about, I'll distract my mind with mental activities such as thinking about travel destinations in alphabetical order. Glad to see that I'm not alone.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/27/13 at 8:50 pm

I'm like that too whenever I'm faced with lengthy cumbersome tasks such as scrubbing the tub. When there's no music or anything to think about, I'll distract my mind with mental activities such as thinking about travel destinations in alphabetical order. Glad to see that I'm not alone.

Scrubbing the tub. Sounds mundane. I don't mind a bit of housework, but some fresh air will do me good! Yeah, cabin fever sounds right to me, LOL.

Check for new replies or respond here...