inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Powerful storm heads for Philippines

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/13 at 7:57 am

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/newsstory/2013/650x366_11062127_haiyantrack.jpg

Authorities in the Philippines are bracing for the arrival of Typhoon Haiyan, which is expected to strike central parts of the country on Friday.

The category five storm is moving towards the South East Asian nation with winds of up to 278 km/h (173mph).

Haiyan - known as Yolanda in the Philippines - is the strongest storm to hit the Pacific this year.

Schools and offices have already been closed in the region and thousands of people are being evacuated.

Relief packages

Typhoon Haiyan is expected to make landfall at around 09:00 local (01:00 GMT) on Friday between Samar and Leyte, two of the Visayan Islands in central Philippines.

It is then forecast to move over to the South China Sea north of Palawan Island on Saturday, meteorologists say.

In its path are areas already struggling to recover from a 7.3-magnitude earthquake last month, including the worst-hit island of Bohol.

Around 5,000 people are still living in tents in Bohol after losing their homes in the quake, which killed more than 200 people.

The military says its transporting food packages and relief goods to remote communities, and has helicopters on stand-by. Ferry operations have already been suspended and fishing boats ordered back to port.

Thousands of people from villages at risk have been evacuated across several provinces, while schools and offices have shut.

Some areas are already experiencing strong winds and heavy rains, according to Ben Evardone, a member of Congress from Eastern Samar province.

"I have issued a call to prepare for the worst," he told Reuters news agency.

"We have mobilised all LGUs (local government units) and all resources for any contingency. There were already forced and pre-emptive evacuations in some danger areas," he said.

Meteorologists in the Philippines warned that Haiyan could be as devastating as Typhoon Bopha in 2012.

Bopha devastated parts of the southern Philippines, leaving at least 1,000 people dead and causing more than $1bn (£620m) in damage.

"This is a very dangerous typhoon, local officials know where the vulnerable areas are and have given instructions on evacuations," state weather forecaster Glaiza Escullar told AFP.

"There are not too many mountains on its path to deflect the force of impact, making it more dangerous."

It is the 25th typhoon to enter Philippine territory this year.

Pascal Canning from Maasin City, in Southern Leyte, says all schools have been shut in his area and some residents have left their homes.

"Lots of families in not-so-stable dwellings are either moving in with relatives, or to the evacuation centres. Some of our employees will sleep on our premises tonight."

"The biggest worry is the possibility of mudslides... There is an eerie feeling of anticipation amongst us: excited but scared, because at this time there is total calm that we know will not last."

Subject: Re: Powerful storm heads for Philippines

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/13 at 11:58 pm

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1014035_10151698317647217_365832209_n.jpg

Typhoon Haiyan is battering the Philippines with sustained winds of 235 km/h (146mph).

Meteorologists say that if initial estimates based on satellite images are borne out, it could be the most powerful storm ever to make landfall.

Thousands of people have been evacuated, and schools and offices closed in the path of the storm, in a region already struggling to recover from an earthquake last month

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/13 at 11:59 pm

I am getting worried for the folks back home.

Written By: warped on 11/08/13 at 6:33 am

I am getting worried for the folks back home.

I am sure you are. It's a huge storm. They said maybe the biggest typhoon to ever make landfall. The destruction could be huge.  :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/13 at 11:33 am

We have been in contact and all is fine, for the moment

Written By: nally on 11/08/13 at 11:36 am

That's good. I have at least one friend who is originally from there; I hope her family is ok too.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/08/13 at 3:47 pm

Saw this on the news, just awful.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/13 at 3:49 pm

Saw this on the news, just awful.
Yes, the pictures do look bad, and to think it is/was the worse typhoon ever.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/13 at 4:29 pm

that's good news Phil.  :)

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/09/13 at 9:12 am

I just heard about this a few minutes ago, and saw it on the news feed page on MSN. It's really awful news.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/13 at 12:14 pm

My heart is low at the moment for the nation of my wife, but the good news is that the famiky are all fine.

Written By: nally on 11/09/13 at 4:47 pm

My heart is low at the moment for the nation of my wife, but the good news is that the famiky are all fine.

Good to know.

And now I see updates about it on the front news page. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/13 at 1:49 am

Imagine if this storm intensity headed towards The United States? :o
Last year you did have Hurricane Sandy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/13 at 6:49 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71020000/gif/_71020645_typhoon_haiyan_v3_624(3).gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/13 at 6:50 am

My heart is low for the people in Tacloban and the surrounding areas. We have heard that nieces of our family are un-reported for.

We were in Tacloban earlier this year, and were making plans for futurer visits. Now this has happened and the area will not be the same.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/10/13 at 7:45 am

My heart is low for the people in Tacloban and the surrounding areas. We have heard that nieces of our family are un-reported for.

We were in Tacloban earlier this year, and were making plans for futurer visits. Now this has happened and the area will not be the same.

I will keep your family in my prayers.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/13 at 4:24 pm

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71020000/gif/_71020645_typhoon_haiyan_v3_624(3).gif

I can't believe the impact it made.  :o

Written By: Howard on 11/10/13 at 4:25 pm

I'll pray for your family.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/13 at 5:16 pm

Typhoon Haiyan, which killed thousands in the Philippines, has made landfall in northern Vietnam, close to the China border, as a weaker Category One storm.

It still carried gusts of up to 157km/h (98 mph) as it arrived close to the Ha Long Bay tourist destination.

Some 600,000 people have been evacuated from at-risk regions in Vietnam and at least six people have been killed.

China issued a typhoon alert for Hainan island, Guangdong and Guangxi after Haiyan's path changed.

The typhoon has decreased markedly in strength from the Category Five storm that swept through the Philippines in a day, causing mass destruction.

It is now classified as a severe tropical storm.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/13 at 11:27 pm

The head of the Red Cross in the Philippines has described the devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan as "absolute bedlam".

Written By: nally on 11/11/13 at 4:55 pm

Praying for your family too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/13 at 1:32 am

It has now at the stage I cannot watch the images seen on the news.

Written By: warped on 11/12/13 at 6:18 am

Yeah, this must be very sad for you and your family to watch, all the destruction and devastation.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 11/12/13 at 7:45 am

It must be so upsetting for you see the devastation.  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/13 at 3:14 am

It must be so upsetting for you see the devastation.  :\'(
Ii was wanting to visit Tacloban on my next holiday there, and now the visit (now in a future year) will not be the same.

Check for new replies or respond here...