inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Geocaching.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/06/14 at 12:52 pm

This is really a question from The Boy. Does anyone here go geocaching or do you know anyone who does?
He is trying to start trackable geocaches, one here in New Jersey and another elsewhere. His goal is to
track them and to see how far they go, and if they make it back to where they started. Anyone?

Subject: Re: Geocaching.

Written By: karen on 04/07/14 at 1:44 am

I have done some geocaching in the past.

I'm not sure what he means by trackable geocaches?  The ones I have done involve using the gps co-ordinates to get to a particular location and then finding a small box that has been hidden/buried there.  Inside the box is a little book you sign and sometimes small gifts (like Kinder egg toys), you take a gift and leave a gift.  I think you can also register on a website to say you visited a particular one.

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 04/07/14 at 3:43 pm

Geocaching now has trackable bugs, they are little tags you attach on an item. And place it in a cache you find. One you placed it other fellow catchers then can log on to the website or app and log that they have found the bug. they then move it to another cache and it's all tracked on line and I can check on it from my phone. My goal is to have one bug start in nj and travel around the world and the other bug I would like to send to someone far away and have it's goal get back to New Jersey..

Written By: karen on 04/08/14 at 2:01 am

I know one or two people in the UK that do geocaching.  I'll ask if they have done any with a trackable device.  There are certainly some registered geocaches near us if you want to post me a bug or two.

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 04/08/14 at 6:39 pm

I know one or two people in the UK that do geocaching.  I'll ask if they have done any with a trackable device.  There are certainly some registered geocaches near us if you want to post me a bug or two.

If it wouldn't be trouble/hassle, I would love to, I placed my order for my trackable from the geocache website and should have them soon. And if I could send you a bug to put in a cache to see if it could make it back to the states that would be awesome! It's a huge goal of mine to see how far I can get a bug to travel.

Written By: karen on 04/16/14 at 5:55 am

I have asked some friends about these trackable gps things.  I wanted to check that these were in use in the UK before I randomly planted one!  Anyone my niece has heard of them and seen them so they are in use here.

I'll pm you my address

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 04/16/14 at 7:03 pm

Omg! Thank you so much for the help!!! ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/03/14 at 12:51 pm

This is really a question from The Boy. Does anyone here go geocaching or do you know anyone who does?
He is trying to start trackable geocaches, one here in New Jersey and another elsewhere. His goal is to
track them and to see how far they go, and if they make it back to where they started. Anyone?

I used to geocache several years back but kind of fell out of it, probably because I changed jobs and no longer had the time and energy to do it anymore. But now I've been thinking about getting back into it again.

Question: Do you use a standalone GPS unit or do you have an app for a smartphone? I downloaded an app for Android called c:geo and it looks like it would work really well.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/03/14 at 12:59 pm

I used to geocache several years back but kind of fell out of it, probably because I changed jobs and no longer had the time and energy to do it anymore. But now I've been thinking about getting back into it again.

Question: Do you use a standalone GPS unit or do you have an app for a smartphone? I downloaded an app for Android called c:geo and it looks like it would work really well.

The Boy uses a Ground Speak geocaching app on his phone, he wants to get a standalone GPS but that is sometime in the future,
which means he wants me to buy it for him.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/03/14 at 1:09 pm

The Boy uses a Ground Speak geocaching app on his phone, he wants to get a standalone GPS but that is sometime in the future,
which means he wants me to buy it for him.

I have a hand held Garmin unit that I bought about 7-8 years ago which I haven't used in a while, since a) Google Maps has all but rendered it obsolete and b) I haven't looked into any new standalone GPS locators but I can only imagine how much more advanced and less expensive the newer units are.

As I mentioned, I haven't tried it out yet but that c:geo app has lots of great features which my old Garmin did not.

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 05/03/14 at 8:31 pm

I have a hand held Garmin unit that I bought about 7-8 years ago which I haven't used in a while, since a) Google Maps has all but rendered it obsolete and b) I haven't looked into any new standalone GPS locators but I can only imagine how much more advanced and less expensive the newer units are.

As I mentioned, I haven't tried it out yet but that c:geo app has lots of great features which my old Garmin did not.

The app I have not I can set up what type of caches I wanna find. Make a list of caches on a route, also log all my finds and trackabel with out going on the website. It's a lot of fun and a good way to explore the area that I live in

Check for new replies or respond here...