inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have you ever lost a 'friend' because they were jealous of you?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/14 at 2:27 am

Maybe you're too expressive/extroverted for them. And they wish they could be as open and expressive as you.
Maybe you're too smart, and they wish they could be at your level.
Maybe you're too pretty and they want to rip your face out for it!
Maybe you're too nice, and they wish they were as nice as you!
Maybe you're too responsible and they feel jealous because all they do is go clubbing and drinking all day.

Has this ever happened to you?

Subject: Re: Have you ever lost a 'friend' because they were jealous of you?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/14 at 3:16 am

LOL, sorry. I was in a bad mood when I made this thread!  :(

Written By: warped on 05/08/14 at 6:36 am

LOL, sorry. I was in a bad mood when I made this thread!  :(

Are you kidding? Don't feel bad. This is a good thread that might generate excellent discussion. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/08/14 at 7:27 am

I got rid of this one friend who I used to know since High School, turns out he was crazy and quite toxic to be around sometimes. He was a jackass moron who took advantage of me when we used to hang out on the weekends. And after I told him that I didn't want to be friends with him anymore over the phone, He told Me and My girlfriend (at the time) to burn in hell. He was a jerkoff. I was glad to have gotten rid of him, It's been 9 years.

Written By: Jessica on 05/08/14 at 7:43 am

Everyone should be jealous of me.  I'm f*cking awesome.

;D

On a serious note, I have almost lost a friend before because she was jealous of my other friendships (she was afraid I'd ditch her).  We eventually talked about it and worked it out and remain good friends to this day.

Written By: warped on 05/08/14 at 8:40 am

I dunno if I ever lost a friend coz they were jealous of me or whatever, you'd have to ask them.
I was a math geek in school and I know people hated me because of it. Jealous? I dunno.. I was just different from them, that's all.

I have given up friendships when the person is a jerk, asshole, or a toxic person, or a lunatic, or an attention seeking drama type person or anything that is unpleasant. Once they are removed from my life, I will never allow them to return. Never.

I'm someone who marches to my own beat. I have never been the one to care about peer pressure, in fact if everyone does something, I tend to do the complete opposite, sometimes on purpose.  I have never been the one to hang out with large groups of people ..coz if they are going to see a movie that I don't care for, I won't go "just to be part of the crowd". And if I don't like a film..even if I went there with 15 people, I walk out and go home. I know this has upset people in the past and people don't want to be my friend after that. It's their choice. Don't care.

During school dances I often stayed home, and read books on history, geography. People didn't understand that. I didn't go to my high school graduation party..didn't feel like it. I think I threw away my high school diploma not long after I graduated..didn't care. I never went to my University graduation..had no interest in it. I already graduated..why do I have to go up and pick up a piece of paper and get dressed up and have people clap for me? I do not want that. I know 1 friend who didn't wanna talk to me anymore coz of that..it's their choice.
I have no desire to get in touch with any high school friends either. I would prefer to remember them as they were and have them remember me as I was.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/14 at 9:49 am

I lost a friend not because she was jealous of me but because her boyfriend was. She hooked up with this idiot who I found out was a sex offender. I did a little digging into his past and I presented her with the info. She was upset that I did that. She didn't realize that I was looking out for HER! She said that she knew about it but he lied about his age.  ???

Anyway, I was pretty much a threat to him so he needed to get me out of the picture so he started telling her lies about me and instead of coming to me to ask me about it, she believed him. She called me up one day and asked if I thought that we were still friends. I said yes but she said, "I don't. Not after what you have done." I was like "What did I do?" I thought it was because I presented her with the info about her sex offender boyfriend. The big lie was that I was talking smack about him which got him fired at a local restaurant that I used to go to A LOT. I asked the waitress about what happened and she told me that he just never showed up to work so of course he was going to get fired.

The last time I saw her was a couple of years after all of that. She gave me a hug as if nothing had ever happened between us. And as far as I know, she is still with him & they have a kid together. (That makes 3 kids with 3 different guys-but she was married to the other two-don't know if she married this idiot.)

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/14 at 9:55 am

I got rid of this one friend who I used to know since High School, turns out he was crazy and quite toxic to be around sometimes. He was a jackass moron who took advantage of me when we used to hang out on the weekends. And after I told him that I didn't want to be friends with him anymore over the phone, He told Me and My girlfriend (at the time) to burn in hell. He was a jerkoff. I was glad to have gotten rid of him, It's been 9 years.

He sounds venomous!

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/14 at 9:57 am

Are you kidding? Don't feel bad. This is a good thread that might generate excellent discussion. :)

I was afraid it came off too angry, but who knows!  ;)

Written By: warped on 05/08/14 at 12:29 pm

I was afraid it came off too angry, but who knows!  ;)

Naw, you didn't come across as angry at all. In fact I don't think you ever come across that way.

Written By: snozberries on 05/08/14 at 1:10 pm

If you lose a friend bc they are jealous of you then they never were a real friend to begin with.

I have lost "friends" because I was honest with them about my feelings. Whatever they are.....

Toxic relationships. I have no patience for them.  So I say good riddance!!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 05/08/14 at 1:13 pm

If you lose a friend bc they are jealous of you then they never were a real friend to begin with.

Exactly what I was thinking.  They are not worth worrying about if they don't want to be friends because of jealousy. 

Written By: snozberries on 05/08/14 at 1:44 pm

Exactly what I was thinking.  They are not worth worrying about if they don't want to be friends because of jealousy.

My best example is a friend I went to UCSB with. A bunch of were in a screen writing class together. When Cindy sold her first few scripts people were so jealous. I was like wtf is wrong w you? I'm soooo happy for her. 
She just told me she's writing an ep of Haven. It's a tv show I don't watch but I will watch her ep in support.

I do have a friend who's met Tom cruise a few times. Totally jealous of him but not in a lets end the friendship way....more like ....now I'm even more motivated to meet him.  (Tonight could be the night... Maybe)

Scientoglogy be damned. It doesn't affect the crush I've had on him since 1983.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/14 at 2:28 pm

I have given up friendships when the person is a jerk, asshole, or a toxic person, or a lunatic, or an attention seeking drama type person or anything that is unpleasant. Once they are removed from my life, I will never allow them to return. Never.

I agree with you.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/14 at 2:29 pm

He sounds venomous!

He was also a mental case.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/14 at 2:31 pm

I have lost "friends" because I was honest with them about my feelings. Whatever they are.....

I was afraid of getting rid of a friend over the phone because he was a complete mentalcase and this was 9 years ago but I told him off, He told me and my girlfriend to go burn in hell.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/14 at 4:40 pm

Go SNoz!  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/08/14 at 4:41 pm

My best example is a friend I went to UCSB with. A bunch of were in a screen writing class together. When Cindy sold her first few scripts people were so jealous. I was like wtf is wrong w you? I'm soooo happy for her. 
She just told me she's writing an ep of Haven. It's a tv show I don't watch but I will watch her ep in support.

I do have a friend who's met Tom cruise a few times. Totally jealous of him but not in a lets end the friendship way....more like ....now I'm even more motivated to meet him.  (Tonight could be the night... Maybe)

Scientoglogy be damned. It doesn't affect the crush I've had on him since 1983.

Your crush is as old as my brother!  :o

Written By: snozberries on 05/08/14 at 11:44 pm

Your crush is as old as my brother!  :o

Hopefully your brother has had better luck.  A series of events made it impossible for me to make the premiere tonight

Written By: danootaandme on 05/12/14 at 2:30 am

I am the kind of person who is always happy for friends success or happiness, but never envious, I think it is because, though I have had some hard times, I have been comfortable with my life.  I have some one who I thought was a friend who admitted that she is jealous of me since her life has gotten a bit tougher.  She was once successful in her profession, husband, house, son in college, flush with cash.  She isn't doing poorly, mind you, but she was out of work for a while and her husband had to take time off of work for a hip replacement.  She doesn't see retirement anytime soon, and is jealous that I have been able to retire. When she was successful she kinda liked to tout her life, I didn't care, good on her for doing well, but when her fortunes changed she cut ties.  She admitted that she didn't like seeing me " on top" WTF!! When it is someone you have known through tough times and good for 40 years, that just sucks.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/12/14 at 12:54 pm

No but I've had a complete stranger become jealous of me when she saw a whole bunch of pictures on my facebook page and then contact me in a rather juvenile attempt at keeping me away from object of my desire.  >:(

Written By: 80sfan on 05/12/14 at 1:18 pm

I am the kind of person who is always happy for friends success or happiness, but never envious, I think it is because, though I have had some hard times, I have been comfortable with my life. I have some one who I thought was a friend who admitted that she is jealous of me since her life has gotten a bit tougher. She was once successful in her profession, husband, house, son in college, flush with cash.  She isn't doing poorly, mind you, but she was out of work for a while and her husband had to take time off of work for a hip replacement.  She doesn't see retirement anytime soon, and is jealous that I have been able to retire. When she was successful she kinda liked to tout her life, I didn't care, good on her for doing well, but when her fortunes changed she cut ties.  She admitted that she didn't like seeing me " on top" WTF!! When it is someone you have known through tough times and good for 40 years, that just sucks.

Wow, just wow!  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 05/12/14 at 1:20 pm

No but I've had a complete stranger become jealous of me when she saw a whole bunch of pictures on my facebook page and then contact me in a rather juvenile attempt at keeping me away from object of my desire.  >:(

Those human beings. They sure are weird!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/12/14 at 1:44 pm

Not sure.  Probably.
I do know I've lost friends because I was jealous of them.  The woes of self-hatin' insecurity!
::)

Written By: Howard on 05/12/14 at 7:47 pm

Why did she do that?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/12/14 at 11:20 pm

Not sure.  Probably.
I do know I've lost friends because I was jealous of them.  The woes of self-hatin' insecurity!

You're very honest. Gotta give you that.  8)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/13/14 at 1:52 am

Why did she do that?

I have no idea why she was flipping out on me? Jealousy I guess? I have no reason to be jealous of anybody especially since I'm younger than her.
My friend and I were talking about it in FBC and she said that's all jealousy.  I have to have faith that things will all work out in the end.  :) And I have faith that the object of my desire knows that I'm alive.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/14 at 9:13 pm

You're very honest. Gotta give you that.  8)

I'd say candid rather than honest. 
;)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/14/14 at 12:20 am

Those human beings. They sure are weird!  ;D

Yeah we girls act sort of weird whenever there's a guy involved involved and even then I still don't know why this girl acted so hostile towards me over photos? Jealousy I guess? ;D

Let's just say she's not really dealing with a full deck so to speak.  ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/18/14 at 5:41 am

I lost a "friend" because she was two faced with me! Oh boy... >:( Jelousy might have played a part, but it's hard to say. She grew up in a problem home and we were friends since 1st grade at least. Even back then she would get insulting every now and then and her favorite insult was to call me ugly. Go figure, it was me who got compliments now and then and she'd get mad. Not that boys noticed me either when we were teenagers, but I'm talking in general. She would pit mutual friends against eachother by saying the other was trash talking the one and so forth. She claims it was because she didn't want to lose us, but that's what it did! Even out of high school she didn't outgrow that and still talked people's backs. It's hard to say if it's just the way she grew up, or strictly her nature.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/21/14 at 12:07 pm

I haven't lost a friend but I could tell a particular one was jealous about my writing. She hasn't started chapter one of her novel yet, but I can tell she's upset with how I can fly through stories with what appears to be ease. It comes quicker to me because while she's out working her two jobs and studying for classes, I'm at HOME sidelined due to the obvious health issues. I write as a hobby to fill time, not try to squeeze it in between engagements.

And I reckon I'm just naturally inclined to writing, it's my calling, like a Nun to the convent. It isn't something I try to do, it just comes to me. It's my talent.

Written By: tv on 05/17/15 at 1:11 am

Well yeah I used to hang out "this crowd" and than one kid got jealous and said that I wrote a note about him. I didn't do that. He wrote it himself but what was done was done. I understand he was one of the more popular kids in our grade(on the student council) and he felt like he was being overshadowed by a person who had no business overshadowing him which was me.. He wanted his "place" back if you will in the "packing order" of our grade in terms of popularity in my view. I get that but I was never nasty to him to provoke him in anyway. Later that year we got into an argument. I was ready to fist fight him outside. He was like oh you are being mature. He should have observed his actions a few months prior which were the actions of a 6th grader who was in 11th grade! I made peace with him at the start of our senior year and that was that. I didn't want any toxic relationships my last year of HS and that's what I got. Needless to say his friends took his side and I guess they were really his friends and not mine I guess. I found my own crowd to hang out with in my senior year anyway. I hope he looks back on it now and totally regrets his actions where ever he is. I would talk with him if I saw him but if he wanted to show me up I would just keep on walking.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/17/15 at 9:38 am

Well yeah I used to hang out "this crowd" and than one kid got jealous and said that I wrote a note about him. I didn't do that. He wrote it himself but what was done was done. I understand he was one of the more popular kids in our grade(on the student council) and he felt like he was being overshadowed by a person who had no business overshadowing him which was me.. He wanted his "place" back if you will in the "packing order" of our grade in terms of popularity in my view. I get that but I was never nasty to him to provoke him in anyway. Later that year we got into an argument. I was ready to fist fight him outside. He was like oh you are being mature. He should have observed his actions a few months prior which were the actions of a 6th grader who was in 11th grade! I made peace with him at the start of our senior year and that was that. I didn't want any toxic relationships my last year of HS and that's what I got. Needless to say his friends took his side and I guess they were really his friends and not mine I guess. I found my own crowd to hang out with in my senior year anyway. I hope he looks back on it now and totally regrets his actions where ever he is. I would talk with him if I saw him but if he wanted to show me up I would just keep on walking.

That's rough when you're singled out from a group. It's only happened to me once and that was enough for me.

I wouldn't hold my breath that he changed though. It's rare that someone truly changes. If he was sane when he did that, I doubt he feels any remorse.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/18/15 at 4:52 am

That's rough when you're singled out from a group. It's only happened to me once and that was enough for me.

I wouldn't hold my breath that he changed though. It's rare that someone truly changes. If he was sane when he did that, I doubt he feels any remorse.

It all depends. People can and do outgrow their teenage drama queen phase. Most arguments in my experience were largely due to maturity level, or lack thereof. It's still crappy to go through so much just to make someone look bad because they're a possible "threat" to one's popularity. If someone has always been a character like that before all the jr. high and high school clique mentality, then it's a good indicator of said person's nature and unlikely they've become better.

I haven't lost a friend but I could tell a particular one was jealous about my writing. She hasn't started chapter one of her novel yet, but I can tell she's upset with how I can fly through stories with what appears to be ease. It comes quicker to me because while she's out working her two jobs and studying for classes, I'm at HOME sidelined due to the obvious health issues. I write as a hobby to fill time, not try to squeeze it in between engagements.

And I reckon I'm just naturally inclined to writing, it's my calling, like a Nun to the convent. It isn't something I try to do, it just comes to me. It's my talent.

I don't write, but when I see an artist who is better than me, I'm inspired to practice more. 

Written By: snozberries on 05/18/15 at 11:07 am

It all depends. People can and do outgrow their teenage drama queen phase.

It's still crappy to go through so much just to make someone look bad because they're a possible "threat" to one's popularity.

Most people do

Then I read the next line and realized som that my about the same at you phrased as t made realize I've b en dealing with someone at work like this. It's not abou popularity tho it's about power and job title. I have it...she wants it....and spends way too much energy trying to make me look bad or recruiting other dispatchers. It's annoying. But it try not t give her any energy. Often times mew she could mew out looking bad because I refuse to play her game.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/18/15 at 2:07 pm

It all depends. People can and do outgrow their teenage drama queen phase. Most arguments in my experience were largely due to maturity level, or lack thereof. It's still crappy to go through so much just to make someone look bad because they're a possible "threat" to one's popularity. If someone has always been a character like that before all the jr. high and high school clique mentality, then it's a good indicator of said person's nature and unlikely they've become better.
I don't write, but when I see an artist who is better than me, I'm inspired to practice more.

I'll probably be more lenient with more years from now, depends on a person's mood I guess. You can tell a bit that I'm in a biting mood (these days) from my post sometimes too.  :-X

As I stabilize even more I will feel more cheerful and understanding.  8)

Written By: nally on 09/22/15 at 11:50 pm

I don't think I have. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 09/23/15 at 2:49 pm

No, no friends of mine never broke up with me because they were jealous of me.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/23/15 at 3:03 pm

Only once for me.  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 09/23/15 at 3:06 pm

No, no friends of mine never broke up with me because they were jealous of me.

Good! You're lucky.  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/24/15 at 2:58 pm

Good! You're lucky.  :)

Why would my friend whom I've known for almost 22 years be jealous of me? I think in a way he might be jealous of me but he doesn't care if he is. He probably hates the way I dress better than him. I dress more casual/professional while he dresses like a slob.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/28/15 at 3:03 pm

I don't think so. Thankfully nobody is jealous of me, neither I of them. We're all in peace I hope. I know I am.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/14/15 at 9:23 pm

I noticed my post at the top of the page written over a year ago. My friend still hadn't started her story yet.
My writing has slowed, but only because I'm still mourning the loss of my father, have a surgery coming up that worries me and am just now getting my affairs in order.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/14/15 at 10:18 pm

Why would my friend whom I've known for almost 22 years be jealous of me? I think in a way he might be jealous of me but he doesn't care if he is. He probably hates the way I dress better than him. I dress more casual/professional while he dresses like a slob.

You do have good style.  8)

Written By: Howard on 10/15/15 at 7:41 am

You do have good style.  8)

Thanks, that's quite appreciative. :)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/15/15 at 11:11 am

I noticed my post at the top of the page written over a year ago. My friend still hadn't started her story yet.
My writing has slowed, but only because I'm still mourning the loss of my father, have a surgery coming up that worries me and am just now getting my affairs in order.

Sounds like your friend might not ever start her story.  :o

Written By: aja675 on 01/14/16 at 8:49 am

Not sure.  Probably.

I am not sure if I've done that, but I know how it feels to push people away because of all the defense mechanisms I have acquired from being treated like crap for years. 

Written By: aja675 on 07/02/16 at 4:25 am

The way I see it, the majority of haters are not envious, but rather people who are so annoyed by someone that they forget that the person they hate on is human too. It is true that a significant minority of haters are envious, but not all of them are driven by envy. In my case, my haters that I had from 16-19 and only cut off ties with on March this year, were annoyed by the person I pretended to be when I was with them because of a fear of being myself I got from people who laughed at me during my early-to-mid-teens. Wasn't it pathetic how it wasn't even the real me they were laughing at?

Written By: aja675 on 07/07/16 at 11:00 pm

I believe that for the most part, haters just happen to be capable of seeing your flaws and are unafraid of telling you which ones they are, but at the same time, they are incapable of remembering that you're a human being regardless of said flaws.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/07/16 at 11:09 pm

The way I see it, the majority of haters are not envious, but rather people who are so annoyed by someone that they forget that the person they hate on is human too. It is true that a significant minority of haters are envious, but not all of them are driven by envy. In my case, my haters that I had from 16-19 and only cut off ties with on March this year, were annoyed by the person I pretended to be when I was with them because of a fear of being myself I got from people who laughed at me during my early-to-mid-teens. Wasn't it pathetic how it wasn't even the real me they were laughing at?

Honestly, I don't really hate most people. I do find that finding chemistry with someone can be hard though. I'll be lying if I said I don't hate anyone, but I probably have hated probably, at the most, three people, in my life. But it's usually because they've done things to me, more than once.

I do agree, that all 'haters' are not jealous, yes.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/07/16 at 11:10 pm

I've never hated a celebrity, or public figure before though....., at least not yet.

Written By: aja675 on 07/08/16 at 12:13 am

They hated that I was the bane of group projects because I had little to contribute except for sex jokes and pop cultural references.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/08/16 at 1:16 am

They hated that I was the bane of group projects because I had little to contribute except for sex jokes and pop cultural references.

When I was younger, like in Junior high/Middle school, when I was insecure I would make jokes and pop cultural references jokes. It was out of insecurity, or shyness. People would sometimes see me as awkward, or just like I was trying to get attention.

Perhaps they think you're trying to get attention, but you're not?

Written By: aja675 on 07/08/16 at 8:11 pm

I did this because I was pretending to be shallow. I did this so often that it ended up getting ingrained in my subconscious.

Written By: aja675 on 07/10/16 at 10:17 pm

When I was younger, like in Junior high/Middle school, when I was insecure I would make jokes and pop cultural references jokes. It was out of insecurity, or shyness. People would sometimes see me as awkward, or just like I was trying to get attention.

Perhaps they think you're trying to get attention, but you're not?
As for how they began being annoyed by me: When I first met them, I acted really ditzy and years younger than my age. I also really had immature and flamboyant interests.

Check for new replies or respond here...