inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should I quit my job?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/17/14 at 12:08 am

Hmmmm, my first day of work was on May 14, Wednesday.

It's not that I hate the job, it's that I have no chemistry with the people there. I think it's mostly because I'm 25, and 90% of them are like 19.  :)

Don't get me wrong I don't hate them, but I feel a neutrality between me and them. It's not a "I'm ignoring you because I don't like you" neutrality, it's a "I don't know what to say to you" neutrality/indifference.

I'm still living with my parents so it's not like I need it badly, but I'm thinking of only working here at the most a year, instead of three years like I planned out. I'm also one of those people who have great instincts when it comes to friends because if I don't 'click' with someone after a week, I never click with them even if I try. And my instincts is telling me that I'm not meant to be here, at least not for a long time.

Or maybe I'm being greedy, I'm expecting chemistry with people and a job I like, and I do like this job. And the pay isn't bad, but it doesn't feel right for me to be at this job for more than a year! But it could also be since I don't have many friends of my own (due partly my own fault) I feel lonely in a place I don't quite fit in. Maybe if I had more friends, this situation wouldn't bother me as much.

What do ya think? Any advice? Nice criticisms?  ;D Stories/experiences of your own?

Subject: Re: Should I quit my job?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/17/14 at 1:57 am

It's not that I hate the job, it's that I have no chemistry with the people there. I think it's mostly because I'm 25, and 90% of them are like 19.  :)

Don't get me wrong I don't hate them, but I feel a neutrality between me and them. It's not a "I'm ignoring you because I don't like you" neutrality, it's a "I don't know what to say to you" neutrality/indifference.

I'm still living with my parents so it's not like I need it badly, but I'm thinking of only working here at the most a year, instead of three years like I planned out. I'm also one of those people who have great instincts when it comes to friends because if I don't 'click' with someone after a week, I never click with them even if I try. And my instincts is telling me that I'm not meant to be here, at least not for a long time.

Or maybe I'm being greedy, I'm expecting chemistry with people and a job I like, and I do like this job. And the pay isn't bad, but it doesn't feel right for me to be at this job for more than a year! But it could also be since I don't have many friends of my own (due partly my own fault) I feel lonely in a place I don't quite fit in. Maybe if I had more friends, this situation wouldn't bother me as much.

What do ya think? Any advice? Nice criticisms?  ;D Stories/experiences of your own?

No. Stick it out.

You've only been there for a few days, and it's gonna take some time for you to get to know your co-workers. To be honest, I went through the same thing with my current job. I too had thoughts of quitting but I stuck it out and loosened up a bit and got to know people a little better and I feel a lot better about it now, but it took me 4-6 months to get to this point. (It shouldn't take you nearly that long since you're not dealing with a bunch of grumpy old union guys.  ::))

Just relax, be cool to people and do a good job and you'll be fine.  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/17/14 at 8:29 am

No. Stick it out.

You've only been there for a few days, and it's gonna take some time for you to get to know your co-workers. To be honest, I went through the same thing with my current job. I too had thoughts of quitting but I stuck it out and loosened up a bit and got to know people a little better and I feel a lot better about it now, but it took me 4-6 months to get to this point. (It shouldn't take you nearly that long since you're not dealing with a bunch of grumpy old union guys.  ::))

Just relax, be cool to people and do a good job and you'll be fine.  :)

What Al said.  You are there to work and if you like the job it would be silly to quit.  Just because there's no chemistry with the others doesn't mean it won't get to a point where you feel comfortable with them.  People don't always start out comfortable with each other.  Just remember your ultimate goal, to get a place of your own.  It will happen a lot quicker if you keep working.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/17/14 at 9:06 am

Thanks everybody.

It could also be I was doing my job wrong, until this 19?? year old helped me figure out an easier way to do it, without putting stress on my feet. I was wasting too much energy and went home and felt EXHAUSTED!

I think I might just be projecting my stress out onto my coworkers.  :-X  :-X

I think as I find a way to make my job easier I'll be less tired when I get home, saving more energy.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/17/14 at 10:18 am

There is nothing more I can really add to what has already been said but I'll tell you this. There is this older
guy where I work that all the young workers felt he hated them. They would tell other workers, "He always
has a mean look on his face," "He never says a word to me, he must hate me," but over time they realized he
was just an introvert. The thing is, it takes some time to find out who a person really is, a week isn't sufficient
time.

For the life of me, I still can't figure out why people think I have a mean look.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/17/14 at 10:29 am

There is nothing more I can really add to what has already been said but I'll tell you this. There is this older
guy where I work that all the young workers felt he hated them. They would tell other workers, "He always
has a mean look on his face," "He never says a word to me, he must hate me," but over time they realized he
was just an introvert. The thing is, it takes some time to find out who a person really is, a week isn't sufficient
time.

For the life of me, I still can't figure out why people think I have a mean look.

I might have a mean look because I did the job wrong and it made me waste energy. :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/17/14 at 1:00 pm

Thanks everybody.

It could also be I was doing my job wrong, until this 19?? year old helped me figure out an easier way to do it, without putting stress on my feet. I was wasting too much energy and went home and felt EXHAUSTED!

Which is a good sign, because he or she was willing to take the time to help you out and make your job easier. After you work there a while you'll figure out ways to work more efficiently or, as the old saying goes, "work smart, not hard."

I think I might just be projecting my stress out onto my coworkers.  :-X  :-X

This. It's completely normal to be a little nervous about working at a new job, but that will pass as time goes on.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/17/14 at 2:26 pm

Which is a good sign, because he or she was willing to take the time to help you out and make your job easier. After you work there a while you'll figure out ways to work more efficiently or, as the old saying goes, "work smart, not hard."

This. It's completely normal to be a little nervous about working at a new job, but that will pass as time goes on.

I've heard that before.

When making this thread I thought it was about my coworkers. Now I just figured out it was about my stress and exhaustion. Isn't it funny how you learn things as you go through things?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/17/14 at 2:51 pm

I've heard that before.

When making this thread I thought it was about my coworkers. Now I just figured out it was about my stress and exhaustion. Isn't it funny how you learn things as you go through things?

That's what life is all about.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/18/14 at 6:05 am

Well, a job isn't to make friends, but it helps. If you're not actually having problems with them, I'd say stick it out if you like the work you do. My job is mixed ages, but alot of them are middle aged, and I talk to them. I've always found it easier to talk to older people though anyway. It might not be the age difference with you so much as you just don't have much in common with those individuals. Look for something better if you must, but you never know until you're actually there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/14 at 6:42 am

I would hold on to you job for at least the length of pay of salary, i.e. paid weekly hold out for a week, or if monthly.

You say that your fellow workers are younger than you. I would think as you are older you may have more experience in life than them, see how it goes, you may progress quicker than them.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/18/14 at 11:49 am

Well, a job isn't to make friends, but it helps. If you're not actually having problems with them, I'd say stick it out if you like the work you do. My job is mixed ages, but alot of them are middle aged, and I talk to them. I've always found it easier to talk to older people though anyway. It might not be the age difference with you so much as you just don't have much in common with those individuals. Look for something better if you must, but you never know until you're actually there.

I think I'm going to think of the money.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/14 at 11:51 am

Earn what you can before it comes to unbearable

Written By: 80sfan on 05/18/14 at 11:52 am

I would hold on to you job for at least the length of pay of salary, i.e. paid weekly hold out for a week, or if monthly.

You say that your fellow workers are younger than you. I would think as you are older you may have more experience in life than them, see how it goes, you may progress quicker than them.

Yeah, most of them are Freshmen and Sophomores in college, so like age 18 to 20.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/18/14 at 11:25 pm

Yeah, most of them are Freshmen and Sophomores in college, so like age 18 to 20.

They probably like to party a lot, and if any of them ever invites you to hang out after work sometime you ought to accept their invitation.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/19/14 at 12:00 am

Isn't that the most important part of any job? That's my motivation . ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/19/14 at 6:12 am

Isn't that the most important part of any job? That's my motivation . ;)

;D Yes.

Written By: gibbo on 05/20/14 at 10:58 pm

... and meanwhile the job is paying for your real life!  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/20/14 at 11:08 pm

... and meanwhile the job is paying for your real life!  :)

LOL, I love your wit and sarcasm! Someone who doesn't have a sense of humor may even hate you.  ;D

To be quite honest I've made friends before, and will again, just not at this place. Nothing wrong with that.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 10:55 am

money is always a good motivation to stay.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 10:56 am

I'm staying at my job because of money.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/22/14 at 12:47 pm

I'm staying at my job because of money.

Path arm?

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 7:03 pm

Path arm?

Yes, Pathmark. been there 7 years. and in the Ozone Park one been there in October will be 4 years.

Written By: warped on 05/23/14 at 10:19 am

Noooooo! Don't quit!!

What Al said.  You are there to work and if you like the job it would be silly to quit.  Just because there's no chemistry with the others doesn't mean it won't get to a point where you feel comfortable with them.  People don't always start out comfortable with each other.  Just remember your ultimate goal, to get a place of your own.  It will happen a lot quicker if you keep working.

And what she said. 

Written By: 80sfan on 05/23/14 at 12:55 pm

Noooooo! Don't quit!!

And what she said.

Warped, I was just having a bad day that day when I made this thread.

99 percent chance I'll keep the job!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/14 at 12:57 pm

That is good news, just remember all the benefits of being in employment, do not forget the Xmas Party in December.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/23/14 at 2:31 pm

That is good news, just remember all the benefits of being in employment, do not forget the Xmas Party in December.

And getting out from mother and father!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/14 at 2:33 pm

True!, and find quality time with fellow commuters.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/14 at 4:18 pm

just keep on doing a good job.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/14 at 4:19 pm

that's another benefit.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/23/14 at 6:37 pm

Yes, Pathmark. been there 7 years. and in the Ozone Park one been there in October will be 4 years.

I only got three hours of sleep when I wrote the comment. I spelled Pathmark wrong!  ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/24/14 at 7:58 am

I only got three hours of sleep when I wrote the comment. I spelled Pathmark wrong!  ;D ;D

that's ok, Don't worry about it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/14 at 9:58 am

You have been at work for another week, how do you feel now?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/30/14 at 5:02 pm

You have been at work for another week, how do you feel now?

I made an acquaintance, one year younger then me. And I made a friend two years older then me. Plus, today is my payday. It's still a demanding job, in my eyes, because I've been lazy for about two years or so. It'll probably take another week, or two for me to get used to it for good.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/14 at 8:22 pm

I made an acquaintance, one year younger then me. And I made a friend two years older then me. Plus, today is my payday. It's still a demanding job, in my eyes, because I've been lazy for about two years or so. It'll probably take another week, or two for me to get used to it for good.

good job so far. :)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/31/14 at 6:10 am

good job so far. :)

They finally let me do the heavy lifting because I showed them I'm not as lazy anymore. ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/31/14 at 6:55 am

They finally let me do the heavy lifting because I showed them I'm not as lazy anymore. ;D

like boxes and stuff?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/14 at 4:25 am

If the item is that heavy, you should be having help to carry at both ends.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/05/14 at 7:00 am

like boxes and stuff?

Yup, boxes of books. It's a bookstore, mostly college text books!

Written By: 80sfan on 06/05/14 at 7:01 am

Each box is about 50 pounds. I think they start off newbies easily the first few days, then they give you the harder stuff later on.

Written By: Howard on 06/05/14 at 7:27 am

you need loads of help.

Check for new replies or respond here...