inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: OUCH!!! That Hurt!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/14 at 1:55 pm

We all seem to have those little mishaps that find ourselves using every kind of obscenity in the book and sometimes even speaking in tongues.

So, yesterday when we were in the car, we decided to stop at a local farm. We got out of the car and knocked but there wasn't any answer even though there were signs of life around. I got back in the car when I noticed that Carlos was talking to someone. So, I got back out and I have no idea what I did or how I did it but when I went to close the car door while I standing there-I must have been standing too close and the corner of the car door came and slammed me on the chin. My chin started to bleed-not a lot but still. I looked inside my mouth and my gum was bleeding. I was afraid that my tooth came loose but luckily it didn't. The whole thing could have been so much worse but  my chin was a bit swollen & a bit bruised but the cut itself looks like a zit. Last night when I check out my gum, it had a bit of a scab on it.

Today, I was carrying a broom outside and I hit the door frame with my thumb nail and the nail totally bent back. It ripped the nail way below the quick and it started bleeding. So now I know I am going to totally lose the nail well below the quick. The question is, how to hold on to it long enough so it won't hurt too much when the nail finally breaks off where it bent back.

Oh yeah, my toe is still sore from where I stubbed it about 2 & a half weeks ago.

I just seem to be beating myself up. lol. 

Who's next?

Cat

Subject: Re: OUCH!!! That Hurt!!!

Written By: loki 13 on 06/05/14 at 4:18 pm

Sorry to hear you had to go through all this Cat. As far as nail goes, I've done that a few times. I use
medical tape to hold the nail on and keep it wrapped up with band-aids. It still hurts like the dickens
but it at least eases the pain a little.

All in all, it is good to hear I am not the only one. My shoe size is only a 9 1/2 but I am constantly
cursing my friggen clown feet. I mean, I trip over everything and with multiple disc problems tripping
isn't the best feeling in the world.

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/14 at 5:10 pm

Sorry to hear about those injuries Cat.  I too know what it's like.

About 2 years ago, I dropped a heavy box on my foot and caused a blood clot under my big toe nail.  I looked at what I had done and it scared me so bad, I was afraid to look at it again, but I eventually had to.  It took some 3 months for the blood clot to work its way out the end of the nail.

About 4 years ago, I had parallel parked into a spot, and as I was racing to get out of my car and beat the oncoming string of cars that were coming I slammed my finger in the car door and it bled like crazy.  I thought I had severed the finger it hurt so bad, I was afraid to look at it, so when I went to emergency, they looked at it and said it was just a big cut and it would heal.  It took a while, but it healed and left me with a visible scar

Written By: warped on 06/05/14 at 5:13 pm

Last Monday I tripped and fell on a cement sidewalk , against a cement pillar. Scraped both knees, both hands and hurt my shoulder. I hadn't tripped and fallen down since the 80s  ;D    It was hard to sleep for a few days with the pain. I am OK now.

Yesterday I was sweeping the floor and somehow (??) I hurt my left hand and can't hold anything with it, not even a plastic cup. Dishes are really hard to do.  This evening it's a little better.

As we get older, it takes longer to heal.
Not fun.

Written By: Howard on 06/06/14 at 4:41 pm

I have such a history of falling and tripping. 5 years ago I was trying to run away from a mockingbird who thought our family was trying to invade it's nest in one of our bushes, I scraped my knee and it started to bleed as I was trying to run away from it fast.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/06/14 at 6:16 pm

I think it is because I replied in this thread but today I was a real klutz. In work I was turning a Van Stone edge
on a small piece of pipe. A Van Stone is just a 90 degree bend at the end of a pipe to hold a flange for a duct
connection. The machine used to turn said edge has two clamping wheels that grab hold of the pipe. To make
the edge you slowly lift the pipe up as it is spinning in the wheels. As I said, this was a small piece of pipe, only
two inches long and a heavy gauge. As I was lifting the pipe it slipped out of the clamping wheels, The force of
me lifting the pipe propelled it upwards slamming into my face. Luckily it didn't loosen a tooth but it did cut both
the inside and outside of my lip which is now fat and purple.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/06/14 at 7:05 pm

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/4WPSP6Tg-iY/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: Katluver on 06/08/14 at 2:11 am

I sat on my foot recently and when I got up, I had a major case of needles-and-pins. And boy, did it sting!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/08/14 at 11:34 am

I sat on my foot recently and when I got up, I had a major case of needles-and-pins. And boy, did it sting!

Can't tell you how many times that happens to me. And then I go stomping my foot to try to wake it up.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/08/14 at 3:30 pm

I've did that plenty of times. I've also banged my elbow and I've gotten pins and needles.

Written By: Katluver on 06/08/14 at 4:40 pm

Can't tell you how many times that happens to me. And then I go stomping my foot to try to wake it up.

Cat

Yet sometimes it gets so numb that I can't even move it!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/11/14 at 9:28 pm

When I was younger I accidently stepped on my own shoe and toppled over on to the sidewalk.  I banged up my shoulder and elbow pretty good and I broke my thumbnail and all because I couldn't stop myself toppling over.  ;D I'm laughing at it now because it's funny but at the time I wasn't laughing at all.  My shoulder had a pretty big bruise about the size of a toonie.  And I wasn't able to do my exercising that I was doing.  :(

Written By: Howard on 06/12/14 at 7:33 am

When I was younger I accidently stepped on my own shoe and toppled over on to the sidewalk.  I banged up my shoulder and elbow pretty good and I broke my thumbnail and all because I couldn't stop myself toppling over.  ;D I'm laughing at it now because it's funny but at the time I wasn't laughing at all.  My shoulder had a pretty big bruise about the size of a toonie.  And I wasn't able to do my exercising that I was doing.  :(

How were you able to step on your shoe? ???

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/12/14 at 11:14 am

How were you able to step on your shoe? ???

I don't know? I think I just took a wrong step and my foot landed on top of my other foot.  I tried moving the foot that was under foot and that sent me into a side step that I couldn't stop myself from getting into.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/14 at 4:56 pm

I don't know? I think I just took a wrong step and my foot landed on top of my other foot.  I tried moving the foot that was under foot and that sent me into a side step that I couldn't stop myself from getting into.

sometimes it happens when I trip over my shoelace by accident and I wind up falling backwards.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/12/14 at 8:36 pm

sometimes it happens when I trip over my shoelace by accident and I wind up falling backwards.

I fell on the floor taking my shoes off and I took my mother's shelf of DVDs with me.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/13/14 at 7:06 am

I fell on the floor taking my shoes off and I took my mother's shelf of DVDs with me.  ;D

DAMN! were you ok?  :o ;D

sometimes you just have to learn to be careful and not try to be in such a rush, that is me.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/13/14 at 12:03 pm

DAMN! were you ok?  :o ;D

sometimes you just have to learn to be careful and not try to be in such a rush, that is me.

Yeah I was okay.  I was a little bit stiff afterwards but I survived.  ;D  The funny, ironic, thing is that my mother was in the basement and she didn't hear anything until I got back up on my own and went into kitchen and I was cussing a blue streak.  She asked me what was wrong and I said "I fell and I took the DVD shelf with me."  The fortunate thing is that when my mom attaches something to a wall it doesn't move.  So the shelf didn't go anywhere but the DVDs did.  ;D Which was another LOL moment for me.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/14 at 7:46 pm

Yeah I was okay.  I was a little bit stiff afterwards but I survived.  ;D  The funny, ironic, thing is that my mother was in the basement and she didn't hear anything until I got back up on my own and went into kitchen and I was cussing a blue streak.  She asked me what was wrong and I said "I fell and I took the DVD shelf with me."  The fortunate thing is that when my mom attaches something to a wall it doesn't move.  So the shelf didn't go anywhere but the DVDs did.  ;D Which was another LOL moment for me.

thank god the wall didn't come down too.  ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/13/14 at 8:14 pm

thank god the wall didn't come down too.  ;D

Yes it was very fortunate that the shelf was so well attached to the wall and the wall didn't go with the shelf and the DVDs.  :) Otherwise I would have been in some serious trouble. ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/14/14 at 4:43 am

Nothing recently, knock on wood, but I have a few stories.

Age 9- Wiping out on my bike and face planting, resulting in needing stitches.

Age 16- During a project in art class my hand slipped with a linoleum scraper and impaled my other hand. Not severe enough for concern, but I was bleeding and had to go to the office.

Age 19- Breaking a bone playing sports. I had to go to the hospital for that and the x-rays were the worst.

Never anything serious at work. I've cut myself a time or two, but not bad enough. I'm happy I haven't stepped on a nail like one guy did! He had to have a shot for that even!  :o

Written By: Howard on 06/14/14 at 7:10 am

The things that has happened to me over the years is unbelievable but what I remember always I am constantly banging my elbow and hitting a funny bone, now that stings. It takes a while for the pain to wear off. :o

Written By: 80sfan on 06/14/14 at 9:04 am

The things that has happened to me over the years is unbelievable but what I remember always I am constantly banging my elbow and hitting a funny bone, now that stings. It takes a while for the pain to wear off. :o

Oww! The funny bone and elbow area is painful to hit!  8-P

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/14/14 at 11:44 am

I'm always managing to hit my elbow on the arm of my mom's couch which is made out of brass I'm sure.  It's extremely painful to hit my elbow there.  ;D  In fact everytime I hit my elbow on the arm of the couch I end up cussing a blue streak.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/14/14 at 1:52 pm

I'm always managing to hit my elbow on the arm of my mom's couch which is made out of brass I'm sure.  It's extremely painful to hit my elbow there.  ;D  In fact everytime I hit my elbow on the arm of the couch I end up cussing a blue streak.

I hit my head at circa age 7 or 8, wow the table hurt my head! I cried like a baby, well I was young!  :)

And my toes get hit a lot too, these days.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/14/14 at 2:05 pm

I hit my head at circa age 7 or 8, wow the table hurt my head! I cried like a baby, well I was young!  :)

Oh boy.  When I was a kid I took only two blows to the head, when I was a really little kid I busted my lip opened and had to stay in the hospital while the doctors tried to determine how fit my parents were, when I was 8 I had a compound fracture of my wrist from falling off of the monkey bars at school, and then ramming front wheel first into a street lamp on my brother's bike.  I had to get 7 stitches.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 06/14/14 at 2:20 pm

Oh boy.  When I was a kid I took only two blows to the head, when I was a really little kid I busted my lip opened and had to stay in the hospital while the doctors tried to determine how fit my parents were, when I was 8 I had a compound fracture of my wrist from falling off of the monkey bars at school, and then ramming front wheel first into a street lamp on my brother's bike.  I had to get 7 stitches.  :)

I wonder why I'm still alive!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Do you ever wonder that about yourself?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/14/14 at 2:40 pm

I do.  I also wonder how I survived my childhood? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/14/14 at 6:09 pm

As soon as you hit it, it brings a tingling sensation to your arm. It's almost like it feels numb.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/14 at 6:10 pm

Do you get black and blue? :o

Written By: Howard on 06/14/14 at 6:14 pm

speaking of toes getting hit, I remember back in Garden City Park Pathmark before they had shut it's doors, I was pushing carts and I was trying to back a few up and by accident one of the carts I backed up, smashed onto my toenail and later when I came home my toenail was dangling off my toe literally and I had to get it cut off by a podiatrist which I go to now every few months and now I have to dab some foot lotion on it, It grew back in a year.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/14 at 6:16 pm

wow, that's crazy.  :o

Written By: Howard on 06/14/14 at 6:17 pm

I wonder that myself too.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/14 at 6:17 pm

I do.  I also wonder how I survived my childhood? ;D ;D ;D ;D

my childhood was awkward.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/14/14 at 8:10 pm

speaking of toes getting hit, I remember back in Garden City Park Pathmark before they had shut it's doors, I was pushing carts and I was trying to back a few up and by accident one of the carts I backed up, smashed onto my toenail and later when I came home my toenail was dangling off my toe literally and I had to get it cut off by a podiatrist which I go to now every few months and now I have to dab some foot lotion on it, It grew back in a year.

Oww!  :(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/14/14 at 8:20 pm

Do you get black and blue? :o

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.  It all depends on how hard I bang my elbow on the are of the couch.  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/14/14 at 10:51 pm

wow, that's crazy.  :o

It's like I told 80sfan I wonder how I survived my childhood with all of the things that happened to me.  :P

Written By: Howard on 06/15/14 at 3:50 pm

Oww!  :(

It hurt more when I had to get my toenail cut right off cause it caused a fungus.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/14 at 3:52 pm

It's like I told 80sfan I wonder how I survived my childhood with all of the things that happened to me.  :P

I don't know how I survived either, It's incredible.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/16/14 at 12:28 am

It hurt more when I had to get my toenail cut right off cause it caused a fungus.

I know that feeling.  When I was having my wrist reset at the hospital emergency room it was bloody painful.  I don't know what was worse? the fracture itself or the cast tech at Sick Kids who was resetting my arm.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 4:27 pm

I remember 25 years ago I banged my toe and I was walking with crutches later on.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/17/14 at 9:59 pm

Oh gosh.  My fractured wrist happened almost 30 years ago.  I missed the first three weeks of summertime but one thing that I liked is that little girl with a cast on that went up to her shoulder got a lot of attention.  :D But the resetting hurt worse than the fracture did.  :P

Written By: Howard on 06/18/14 at 7:46 am

Oh gosh.  My fractured wrist happened almost 30 years ago.  I missed the first three weeks of summertime but one thing that I liked is that little girl with a cast on that went up to her shoulder got a lot of attention.  :D But the resetting hurt worse than the fracture did.  :P

How did you fracture your wrist? ???

Written By: Howard on 06/18/14 at 7:50 am

I remember back in the late 80's I was with My Family and we spent a weekend with friends in an Upstate lodge, I went to take a cold shower and all of a sudden the cold water turned a scalding HOT and My Parents removed me from the shower quickly and I wound up with 2nd degree burns on my back later on. Now that was an unbelievable experience. :o

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/18/14 at 8:26 am

How did you fracture your wrist? ???

I was hanging by the monkey bars on the school climber and I guess I didn't have a good enough grip on the bar.  I was contented to just hang on to the bar while the other kids were going up.  I lost my grip on the bar and I fell off the monkey bars with my hands by the side and I felt a bone go out of place.  I was screaming and crying and my dad came running to see what was going on.  I had my friend asking me if I was okay? I got a piggy back ride from my dad to the car and it was off to the emergency room at the Hospital for Sick Children.  My mom telling my dad "be careful with her arm."
I couldn't even move my hand at all.  That's how bad it was.  When the emergency room doctor who was on duty that day came into the room he asked me if I had hurt my back when I fell and I said "no" and that was when he asked me to try and move my hand and I told him that I couldn't.  Then an x-ray revealed a compound fracture of my left wrist.  The resetting of my wrist was the worst part.  First I had to get up on the table and I couldn't do that either because it hurt to put anykind of weight on my wrist.  So the cast tech put the step stool on the other side of the table and I got up on the table.  By the time I had gotten the cast put on school was over and it was time to go home.  I was so worn out that I was ready for bed.  My mom had to wash in between my fingers because the cast tech had gotten plaster on my fingers.
Then I had to go back for another x-ray the next day to make sure my wrist was set properly and to find out how long I would be in the cast.  I missed the first three weeks of summer time that year because of it.  Everyone was trying to get me to sit still while my bones were healing and I was 8.  You couldn't get me to sit still on a bet. 

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/22/14 at 8:40 pm

I should have also mentioned that I didn't have very good manual dexterity at the time so I couldn't go up and down the monkey bars even if I wanted to.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/23/14 at 3:50 pm

I should have also mentioned that I didn't have very good manual dexterity at the time so I couldn't go up and down the monkey bars even if I wanted to.  ::)

I remember being on the monkey bars growing up.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/23/14 at 4:34 pm

I remember being on the monkey bars growing up.

Me too.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/20/14 at 3:10 pm

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10569229_10152514266355042_1261398873_n.jpg?oh=a90952f64b3b239887029c0c3eeec152&oe=53CE1FE2&__gda__=1406021875_5a8e26e38feae98e168ec2eaa5784f5b

This is kind of graphic but a direct result of being in absolute shock after cutting yourself on a push mower blade. :P My mother says that I almost took the tip of my finger off.  :P 

Written By: Howard on 07/21/14 at 2:30 pm

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10569229_10152514266355042_1261398873_n.jpg?oh=a90952f64b3b239887029c0c3eeec152&oe=53CE1FE2&__gda__=1406021875_5a8e26e38feae98e168ec2eaa5784f5b

This is kind of graphic but a direct result of being in absolute shock after cutting yourself on a push mower blade. :P My mother says that I almost took the tip of my finger off.  :P

OUCH! thank god you're ok.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/21/14 at 3:12 pm

OUCH! thank god you're ok.

Yeah no kidding.  It sheared my fingernail off.  It's still a bit sore.  :(  I seriously thought that I broke my finger. 

Written By: Howard on 07/22/14 at 3:10 pm

Yeah no kidding.  It sheared my fingernail off.  It's still a bit sore.  :(  I seriously thought that I broke my finger.

will your fingernail grow back?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/22/14 at 3:29 pm

will your fingernail grow back?

I think it will.  It didn't cut right down to the nail bed but just sheared off the top of my fingernail.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/23/14 at 3:18 pm

I think it will.  It didn't cut right down to the nail bed but just sheared off the top of my fingernail.  :)

that's good.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/23/14 at 3:20 pm

Just this morning I was trying to open up a small package that was covered with plastic and it was so hard to open that I cut my finger a little trying to open up the stupid plastic covering. ::)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/31/14 at 11:37 am

Just this morning I was trying to open up a small package that was covered with plastic and it was so hard to open that I cut my finger a little trying to open up the stupid plastic covering. ::)

I took the scab on my finger off.  :) It's nice to be able to see the tip of my finger but still there's nerve damage that causes pain whenever I'm tapping on the computer keys.  :P

Written By: Howard on 07/31/14 at 4:05 pm

I took the scab on my finger off.  :) It's nice to be able to see the tip of my finger but still there's nerve damage that causes pain whenever I'm tapping on the computer keys.  :P

that's good news.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/18 at 5:58 pm

Yes, I'm bumping up an old thread so sue me.

I'm sitting here at the computer and my cat jumps on my lap like she has done a million and one times. Only this time I think it was her back claw that hooked into my big toe-just below the nail. She was pretty much stuck in my toe. I let out a holler. I grabbed her to pick her so she could unhook from my toe. I just held her for a few seconds. She then left my lap and the blood started pooling on my toe. Luckily, the pain subsided fairly quickly and the bleeding finally stopped. I know she didn't mean to do it but it still hurt like a...

Cat

Written By: Elor on 06/27/18 at 4:47 am

I think we can settle this out of court. Just transfer 50,000USD into my bank account and I'll drop all charges. 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/27/18 at 12:26 pm

I think we can settle this out of court. Just transfer 50,000USD into my bank account and I'll drop all charges. 8)

After all the things I have done for you.  ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/27/18 at 2:30 pm

I'm sitting here at the computer and my cat jumps on my lap like she has done a million and one times. Only this time I think it was her back claw that hooked into my big toe-just below the nail. She was pretty much stuck in my toe. I let out a holler. I grabbed her to pick her so she could unhook from my toe. I just held her for a few seconds. She then left my lap and the blood started pooling on my toe. Luckily, the pain subsided fairly quickly and the bleeding finally stopped. I know she didn't mean to do it but it still hurt like a...

Cat

Hope you're alright.  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/27/18 at 2:32 pm

Hope you're alright.  :o

Yes, I'm alright. It just hurt like the Dickens for about 10 minutes or so.

Cat

Written By: Elor on 06/27/18 at 2:33 pm

After all the things I have done for you.  ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D
I had already factored that in. Without that it would have been 50,005 USD. ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/27/18 at 2:36 pm

Just a few weeks ago, when I wasn't paying attention and by accident I closed my finger nail on my locker door at work and some blood was pouring down my finger so to stop the blood I used a wet paper towel to stop the trickling. As of this day, there's a small scar on the edge of my finger where the blood was but I'm alright.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/27/18 at 2:38 pm

I had already factored that in. Without that it would have been 50,005 USD. ;)

;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: nally on 06/27/18 at 8:08 pm

Just a few weeks ago, when I wasn't paying attention and by accident I closed my finger nail on my locker door at work and some blood was pouring down my finger so to stop the blood I used a wet paper towel to stop the trickling. As of this day, there's a small scar on the edge of my finger where the blood was but I'm alright.

I might have accidently injured myself (on a minor level) at work a few times.

Check for new replies or respond here...