inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who, what, why: When did 'fit' start to mean attractive?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/14 at 2:14 pm

The leader of a group representing Britain's public schools for girls has warned against using the word "fit" to describe sexual attractiveness as opposed to physical fitness. When did the slang meaning come about, asks Justin Parkinson.

The word "fit" has been used within the sporting world to describe being in a healthy physical condition since at least the mid-19th Century, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. But it was not long afterwards that it began to also denote a good-looking or desirable person.

In Henry Hawley Smart's 1884 horseracing novel From Post to Finish, one of the characters says: "I want my girl to look as fit as any of them." It appears still to have been in use in 1925, when novel Manhattan Transfer by Jon Dos Passos was published. One woman is described as "rather stumpy" and "businesslike looking", while another is told: "And you're as fit as you ever were. That's the way it goes."

But, according to slang dictionary compiler Jonathon Green, this usage of the adjective seems to have gone out of normal usage until the 1970s. "It's got an old heritage," he says. "But it looks like it returned via West Indian communities in London."

The author Alex Wheatle used the term "fit" to describe good-looking women in his novel Brixton Rock, set in 1979. "It's been in use for at least 40 years," he says. "I remember everyone I knew in London saying it. It was part of the culture. It was probably used in black communities in Birmingham and elsewhere too."

The usage spread beyond inner cities during the 1980s and 1990s. In 2004 the band The Streets released the hit song Fit But You Know It, satirising vanity. The term is now not solely used for females, with the expression "fit blokes" employed by women's magazines to describe desirable men.

But Helen Fraser, chief executive of the Girls' Day School Trust, thinks using "fit" as a synonym for "fanciable" puts girls off sport and that they should be free to get "pink in the face and tousled" without worrying. Wheatle's not sure it will work. "I don't think telling people not to use the word will make a difference," he says. "Slang is a wonderful gift to the English language. You can't just put words back in a box."

Subject: Re: Who, what, why: When did 'fit' start to mean attractive?

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/04/14 at 6:38 pm

We don't use that word here to mean "hot" it only means "in shape."

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/05/14 at 8:32 pm

I've never heard fit used like that here--here being Texas--outside of my gym class. It means its literal meaning as far as I know here. Even back in high school if a guy thought you were hot, they said "Hey Girl, you're hot..."
I've never heard fit used like that.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/06/14 at 10:12 pm

I don't find "fit" is necessarily attractive at all.  But toned is definitely attractive. 

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/06/14 at 11:17 pm

I don't find "fit" is necessarily attractive at all.  But toned is definitely attractive.

I agree. Huge bulky muscles have never done it for me. I'd rather have a guy with slim/toned build.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/07/14 at 1:16 am

I agree. Huge bulky muscles have never done it for me. I'd rather have a guy with slim/toned build.

I like just a little bulk on a guy's arm.  I don't find bulky muscles are that attractive.  :P

Written By: Howard on 07/07/14 at 3:02 pm

I like just a little bulk on a guy's arm.  I don't find bulky muscles are that attractive.  :P

What about "hairy" and "bulky"? ???

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/07/14 at 4:07 pm

What about "hairy" and "bulky"? ???

:P

Written By: Howard on 07/08/14 at 2:38 pm

:P

I'm going to take that as a "no"?  ;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/08/14 at 3:15 pm

I'm going to take that as a "no"?  ;D

That's a 10:4 Kemosabe. 

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/10/14 at 12:27 am

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002150901/1858405602_strong_xlarge.jpeg

What about guys who hit the juice?

Howard CUT IT OUT!! I told you that's not attractive to me.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/14 at 2:49 pm

Sorry about that.  :(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/10/14 at 2:52 pm

Sorry about that.  :(

<3 <3 <3 HHHHHHUUUUUUUGGGGGG!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 

Don't worry about it.  :)

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/28/14 at 11:02 pm

Bodybuilders overdo it. They look like freaks.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/29/14 at 1:59 am

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3782/9198629952_b3744f1b6c_z.jpg

There's Mark Holmes from Platinum Blonde.  :-* :-* He bulks up but he doesn't beat the sh!t out of people.  :-* :-*

Written By: Bobby on 07/29/14 at 10:04 am

I think the word 'fit' meaning sexy is a UK term mainly used by chavs. I started hearing this around early 2000s.

Here's an example of it's use:

IeE3BYoAn6A

Written By: Howard on 07/29/14 at 3:07 pm

Bodybuilders overdo it. They look like freaks.

I think doing too much steroids is the problem.

Check for new replies or respond here...