inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is This A Form Of Abuse?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/10/15 at 6:57 pm

Hey Y'all,

There's this man I go to dialysis with, who I'll leave nameless, but I am really, really worried about him and the situation he's in.
He's been coming to my dialysis center about...six months, I'd say after coming to my town from a nearby one. He's about in his mid-fifties and is pretty nice to everyone in the place. But he's getting a really raw deal from what I've heard.
He doesn't stay in his own house, but with this woman who's around the same age and another man who is super morbidly obese. (or "that fat motherfudgeer" as he calls him)
I've never seen a situation like this. Like I'm used to having a helicopter lifestyle, with my parents on my back, but I've never seen a grown man in a ways like this.
If I were in a house, paying nearly 300 dollars in rent, I think it would be plausible that I would have access to food, a working television, a working phone, etc...
This man does not. If he doesn't bum for food from other folks, it's way late at night before he eats. (and in general, a dialysis patient is supposed to eat about 30 minutes before and after treatment or we get sick, which I've seen him get sick plenty of times in there and even once bought him a meal because he was so hungry one day.)
Oh the stories I've heard. The woman stole his bank card and all the rest of the little money he had and still hasn't returned it. He doesn't have a car, no one will drive him anywhere, he has to walk everywhere, they won't let him use the phone, anything.
He's always upset, his blood pressure skyrocketing. Just today he got a nose bleed from it being so high. And he's always SAD going home.
And when the little shuttle drops him off, he sits out on the porch. he doesn't even have a key to the house!  :o It's been cold and rainy lately and he had to sit out in that.
No one deserves that. I know it's probably not my business, but it really does bother me to see someone who can't really fend for himself being treated so badly.
Should I do something, or is there a way I can anonymously seek help for him or what?
Because I honestly believe in my heart if he stays where he is much longer, he will die. 

Sorry this is long, but I could have said much, much more, but this is the gist of it.

Subject: Re: Is This A Form Of Abuse?

Written By: snozberries on 03/11/15 at 12:23 am

He's an adult. He can move if feels he's being mistreated where is.

Honestly is be more concerned that he's a scam artist trying to get you to feel sorry enough for him to

A) give him $$$
Or
B) let him move into your fathers room.

There's not a whole lot you would be able to do for him even if you wanted to.

If they are stealing from him he has to report it...you can't report it on his behalf.  And adult social services won't do much since they aren't family and  he's not being forced to live there. He has the option to move

Subject: Re: Is This A Form Of Abuse?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/11/15 at 12:49 pm

Let's be clear about something. I am far too selfish to give him money. I bought him the 3 dollar chicken special because he watched my computer bag when I walked off to buy my lunch anyway.  Also, there is NO WAY I would allow any man into my house to live with me, unless we were in a long-term relationship. He has not asked to move in with me and I would not offer. (And I have no interest in him whatsoever.I'm more interested n the ballplayers I'm going to meet while scorekeeping next week.  ::) ) This is the first time in 28 years I can be alone, I want to bask in it for a good long time.

But I'll drop the topic since there's nothing I can really do. But thanks for the input Snoz.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...