inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Service that stinks.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/04/15 at 10:33 pm

This was never something I felt a need to rant about until now. Tonight I went to a restaurant I'd gone to for over 15 years and it's a shame to say it might have to be my last.

It's family owned, and the food is excellent in my book, but there is one member of the staff that's the problem. This middle aged woman who we've dealt with before makes it clear she's not fond of us for whatever reason. It's a buffet, but you can order from menus and that's what we always do. Same meal too, just that I sometimes get different appetizers. She doesn't bother bringing a menu like the other staff member does, and barks at us when asking for the order. Really impatient. She then comes with the food and plops it down on the table. When we were handed the bills she snapped at us again asking how many containers we'd need. I told her to hold on while I was thinking, and estimated the amount as there was quite a bit left. While she was sweeping the floor, she threw the broom down to go yell at the manager, no doubt complaining about stuff. She stormed off to the back, then returned with containers. Really uncalled for and it took everything I had not to tell her off. I don't think I ask for too much and try not to be a bother and make anyone run back and forth for anything. It just really made me mad tonight.  >:(

There was never a problem at the old location and it's still the same people who work there. I don't know what the matter is now.

Subject: Re: Service that stinks.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/05/15 at 8:48 am

Is she just treating your group of people this way, or everybody?

If she's treating everybody this way then it's not personal towards you, but you still have the right to be angry at her and never come back again.

If it is personal to you, I'd never come back. You'd be surprise how much people project their insecurities onto other people. Could be one of you look like someone she doesn't like, or you girls/guys remind her of people she doesn't like. Again, I wouldn't come back. Also, I would see not coming back as a way of saying, "Screw you!"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/15 at 11:03 am

If she is not a family member of the owners, I would complain to the manager/owner. If she is a family member, I wouldn't go there again and you can write to them and tell them why.

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/05/15 at 12:03 pm

I've experienced this kind of thing, too... even to restaurants I've been to only one time.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/15 at 2:07 pm

It could be that she might have some bad days and taking it out on you.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/05/15 at 6:20 pm

Is she just treating your group of people this way, or everybody?

If she's treating everybody this way then it's not personal towards you, but you still have the right to be angry at her and never come back again.

If it is personal to you, I'd never come back. You'd be surprise how much people project their insecurities onto other people. Could be one of you look like someone she doesn't like, or you girls/guys remind her of people she doesn't like. Again, I wouldn't come back. Also, I would see not coming back as a way of saying, "Screw you!"

I think it is personal, but from a review I read, I beleive others had that experience too. I don't know her name and that wouldn't be given on a restaurant review, but they did describe a staff member who was impatient and didn't hand them menus either. I've seen her laughing and joking with other customers before, so I do think certain people she doesn't like. The previous time she wasn't this bad, but still came off as unfriendly.

It could be that she might have some bad days and taking it out on you.

Who knows, but it's still not acceptable if you deal with the public. I can understand not wanting to put on a "sweet as pie" happy act, but outright b*tchy isn't cool.

If she is not a family member of the owners, I would complain to the manager/owner. If she is a family member, I wouldn't go there again and you can write to them and tell them why.

Cat

I strongly suspect she is though. I just never asked.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/15 at 2:45 pm

Who knows, but it's still not acceptable if you deal with the public. I can understand not wanting to put on a "sweet as pie" happy act, but outright b*tchy isn't cool.

You can talk to her manager if he/she is around?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/15 at 8:27 pm

She sounds like the kind of person that only talks or are nice to people she knows. It's okay in a personal life mostly, but at a job it's unprofessional.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/07/15 at 3:42 am

I always thought that waitresses/waiters are dependant on tips in the US. I have experienced most services as very professional in the US, unlike here in Germany sometimes, where tips are always included...

So your experience hopefully resulted in a 0% tip, right?

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/07/15 at 8:53 am

I always thought that waitresses/waiters are dependant on tips in the US. I have experienced most services as very professional in the US, unlike here in Germany sometimes, where tips are always included...

0% could be oversight, I just put down a few cents to show that I didn't forget.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/15 at 9:08 am

It tips are included in the bill, we do not leave a tip.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/07/15 at 9:11 am

It tips are included in the bill, we do not leave a tip.

Germans do (extra-)tip most of the time, even though service is included.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/15 at 9:13 am

Germans do (extra-)tip most of the time, even though service is included.
I generally wish to tip as an option, not being forced to pay.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/07/15 at 10:50 am

0% could be oversight, I just put down a few cents to show that I didn't forget.

It's a nice way to insult someone you don't like. I should try it when I'm pissed off at service.

You're giving me ideas now.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/15 at 2:22 pm

She sounds like the kind of person that only talks or are nice to people she knows. It's okay in a personal life mostly, but at a job it's unprofessional.

She shouldn't have taken it out on her.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/07/15 at 9:54 pm

Y'all are so strong-willed, because if I was paying my own hard earned cash for a meal and someone starts clowning, I will get sharp in an instant. You're a server. Your job is to serve the paying patron and be nice about it. And if you can't manage it, you need to find a better line of work.

Life is too short to have someone you don't even really know treat you like damn it to hell. I don't think so.

Written By: Howard on 05/08/15 at 7:25 am

Y'all are so strong-willed, because if I was paying my own hard earned cash for a meal and someone starts clowning, I will get sharp in an instant. You're a server. Your job is to serve the paying patron and be nice about it. And if you can't manage it, you need to find a better line of work.

Life is too short to have someone you don't even really know treat you like damn it to hell. I don't think so.

That's probably what I would say.

Written By: tv on 05/31/15 at 10:08 pm

How long has this server worked here? I'm shocked that the server is a middle aged woman though. In my opinion for her to act like that at her age is inexcusable.

Check for new replies or respond here...