inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Braces/orthodontics

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/23/15 at 1:04 am

I'm 44 years old and I've been wanting to get braces on my teeth for a long time, and I'm finally in a place where I have the time and money to get it done, so I'm getting them put on this coming Monday. If all goes well, I will be having surgery 6 months from now to have my lower jaw moved forward.

I've always been kind of self-conscious about my receding lower jaw and I think that a lot of my self-esteem issues have to do with it. It sounds like it's going to be a long and somewhat painful process, but I'm really looking forward to getting the ball rolling on it.

I was just wondering if anyone here has been through this process and if so, maybe you could share your experiences and let me know what I can expect. Thanks!

AL-B

Subject: Re: Braces/orthodontics

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/15 at 1:43 am

I'm 44 years old and I've been wanting to get braces on my teeth for a long time, and I'm finally in a place where I have the time and money to get it done, so I'm getting them put on this coming Monday. If all goes well, I will be having surgery 6 months from now to have my lower jaw moved forward.

I've always been kind of self-conscious about my receding lower jaw and I think that a lot of my self-esteem issues have to do with it. It sounds like it's going to be a long and somewhat painful process, but I'm really looking forward to getting the ball rolling on it.

I was just wondering if anyone here has been through this process and if so, maybe you could share your experiences and let me know what I can expect. Thanks!

AL-B

I need them but I've never gotten them.  I hate everything about the dentist/orthodontist so I don't go. I've been twice in 35 yrs. I'm not saying it's right I'm just saying I really hate it

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/15 at 7:03 am

I need them but I've never gotten them.  I hate everything about the dentist/orthodontist so I don't go. I've been twice in 35 yrs. I'm not saying it's right I'm just saying I really hate it

You can't help what you hate.  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/15 at 7:08 am

I got braces from age 10-12.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/23/15 at 9:59 am

I had them at 35, it is never too late.  It is tougher when you are older because you face is set in its ways.  It was worth it though

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/15 at 10:19 am

I had braces for 2 & 1/2 years when I was a teen. I had 8 teeth pulled before I had them put on.  :o :o :o  Granted 4 were baby teeth. Some of them were underneath and they had to dig them out. (OUCH!) I had 4 shots of Novocaine and laughing gas-yup, I was awake for it. So, I am missing a few bicuspids. 

I had a teacher who used to call them my "cage." He would say to me, "When are you getting your cage off?" And when I FINALLY got them off, he said to me, "You look different. What is different about you?" I said nothing but smiled VERY BIG. He finally noticed, "You got your cage off!"

As for getting them as an adult, I have seen people of all ages wearing them. One woman I know (who must be at least in her 50s) said it was her second time having them.

That is a good way to lose your teeth. I'm just giving you a word of advice. Most people who lose their teeth are the ones who don't go to a dentist on a regular basis. I hate going to the dentist because I have SUPER sensitive teeth and even just having them cleaned causes me pain-but I endure it because I don't want to lose them. 

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/23/15 at 12:30 pm

I had them from May 1993 until December 1995. My teeth were growing in crookedly, which is why I needed 'em. During the 2 1/2 years I had them, I was restricted from eating certain foods (especially those which required being bitten into) and could not drink soda, and I did a good job of avoiding such foods.

My mom had 'em for an eight-month period when she was 44, but only on her lower teeth.

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/15 at 3:45 pm

I had braces for 2 & 1/2 years when I was a teen. I had 8 teeth pulled before I had them put on.  :o :o :o  Granted 4 were baby teeth. Some of them were underneath and they had to dig them out. (OUCH!) I had 4 shots of Novocaine and laughing gas-yup, I was awake for it. So, I am missing a few bicuspids. 

I had a teacher who used to call them my "cage." He would say to me, "When are you getting your cage off?" And when I FINALLY got them off, he said to me, "You look different. What is different about you?" I said nothing but smiled VERY BIG. He finally noticed, "You got your cage off!"

As for getting them as an adult, I have seen people of all ages wearing them. One woman I know (who must be at least in her 50s) said it was her second time having them.

That is a good way to lose your teeth. I'm just giving you a word of advice. Most people who lose their teeth are the ones who don't go to a dentist on a regular basis. I hate going to the dentist because I have SUPER sensitive teeth and even just having them cleaned causes me pain-but I endure it because I don't want to lose them. 

Cat

if I lose my teeth I get dentures and once I get dentures I can avoid the dentist again!  :P

Written By: Howard on 07/23/15 at 4:08 pm

I got braces from age 10-12.

I wound up with braces in 1984 because I sucked my thumb for the past 10 years which in turn led to me having "buck teeth" growing up.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/15 at 9:51 pm

I wound up with braces in 1984 because I sucked my thumb for the past 10 years which in turn led to me having "buck teeth" growing up.

How long did you have them?

Written By: Howard on 07/24/15 at 7:43 am

How long did you have them?

about 3-4 years then I wound up with retainers.

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/24/15 at 8:41 pm

I was 11 when I had them and 13 when they were taken off. I also had to deal with rubber bands. I had to have four teeth pulled before even getting impressions made. That was an ordeal all on it's own. The shots in the mouth are the worst. Also the goop they put on a tray and stick in your mouth is nasty and they put it in far enough to choke on. The braces themselves were so painful on the first few days I could only have liquids. Not fun.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/24/15 at 9:16 pm

about 3-4 years then I wound up with retainers.

I wound up with retainers too.  :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/25/15 at 3:29 am

Spacers suck. I can't wait until they take these f**kers out on Monday.  :P

Written By: Howard on 07/25/15 at 7:17 am

I was 11 when I had them and 13 when they were taken off. I also had to deal with rubber bands. I had to have four teeth pulled before even getting impressions made. That was an ordeal all on it's own. The shots in the mouth are the worst. Also the goop they put on a tray and stick in your mouth is nasty and they put it in far enough to choke on. The braces themselves were so painful on the first few days I could only have liquids. Not fun.

How did you wind up with braces? Did you suck your thumb when you were a child?

Written By: Howard on 07/25/15 at 7:18 am

I wound up with retainers too.  :P

When I worn my retainers, I sounded funny.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/15 at 9:56 am

I remember those rubber bands. I used to bring them into my study hall in high school and we used to shoot them at people. They were so small that no one even noticed if they were hit by them unless we got them on their skin. We would leave the class room and you could see all those little rubber bands on the floor. I'm sure the janitor was wondering "What the....?" as he would sweep them up. I remember seeing one guy walking out of class with a few in his hair. 

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/25/15 at 2:44 pm

I remember those rubber bands. I used to bring them into my study hall in high school and we used to shoot them at people. They were so small that no one even noticed if they were hit by them unless we got them on their skin. We would leave the class room and you could see all those little rubber bands on the floor. I'm sure the janitor was wondering "What the....?" as he would sweep them up. I remember seeing one guy walking out of class with a few in his hair. 

Cat

What were the rubber bands used for?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/15 at 3:39 pm

What were the rubber bands used for?

They were used to close the gap that was created when they pulled my teeth. They hooked on to the braces on the teeth in between the gap. I think my sister also had them when she had her braces and she used to spit them at people.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/15 at 3:44 pm

They were used to close the gap that was created when they pulled my teeth. They hooked on to the braces on the teeth in between the gap. I think my sister also had them when she had her braces and she used to spit them at people.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat
Was there a nasty taste of rubber?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/15 at 6:08 pm

Was there a nasty taste of rubber?

I really don't recall. The rubber bands were so tiny that I'm sure there wasn't-at least not too much. What I do remember when they broke in my mouth-ouch!

Cat

Written By: nally on 07/25/15 at 7:14 pm

Cat

I had to use them too. Even when going out in public. Of course, when I ate, I had to take the rubber band out of my mouth...but couldn't put a new one in until after I brushed my teeth, which I usually couldn't do until I got home.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/15 at 5:25 am

I really don't recall. The rubber bands were so tiny that I'm sure there wasn't-at least not too much. What I do remember when they broke in my mouth-ouch!

Cat
I can imagine, twang!

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/26/15 at 7:51 am

How did you wind up with braces? Did you suck your thumb when you were a child?

I had teeth that overlapped.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/15 at 1:45 pm

Cat

I hated those rubber bands, they were so uncomfortable.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/15 at 1:48 pm

I had teeth that overlapped.

I sucked my thumb from 1974-1984 and wound up with "buck teeth".

http://www.walkerbraces.com/clientimages/51635/template/buck%20teeth.jpg
What happens is when you keep sucking your thumb as a child and growing up, the front teeth move forward and then you start lisping.

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/15 at 2:19 pm

I sucked my thumb from 1974-1984 and wound up with "buck teeth".

http://www.walkerbraces.com/clientimages/51635/template/buck%20teeth.jpg

What happens is when you keep sucking your thumb as a child and growing up, the front teeth move forward and then you start lisping.

Hey Howard. 

The spoiler feature exists so you can hide things not everyone wants to see  8-P

Written By: Howard on 07/26/15 at 2:27 pm

Hey Howard. 

The spoiler feature exists so you can hide things not everyone wants to see  8-P

Oh sorry about that Q.  :(

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/15 at 2:33 pm

Oh sorry about that Q.  :(

It's okay just remember not everyone wants to look in another persons mouth

Written By: 80sfan on 07/26/15 at 4:18 pm

It's okay Howard, I found it interesting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/15 at 5:19 pm

It's okay Howard, I found it interesting.
Something to get you teeth into?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/27/15 at 2:19 pm

It's okay just remember not everyone wants to look in another persons mouth

unless it's the dentist.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/15 at 2:21 pm

unless it's the dentist.
That dentist has to, but sometimes they do not wish to!

Written By: danootaandme on 07/28/15 at 6:28 am

If you can't take spacers what do you think you'll do for a couple of years with braces?  Uh oh!!!!!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/28/15 at 6:39 pm

Something to get you teeth into?  ;D

;D  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/28/15 at 6:41 pm

That bites.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/29/15 at 12:55 am

Just got the rubber bands put on today. Sh!t's getting real now. :P

Written By: 80sfan on 10/14/15 at 12:55 pm

I think I remember getting bands on my teeth too. It hurt for a few days.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/15 at 3:12 pm

It hurt for me too, It was hard to eat food cause the rubber bands would get in the way.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/14/15 at 10:19 pm

It hurt for me too, It was hard to eat food cause the rubber bands would get in the way.

Some food even got caught in between my teeth too. Annoying.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/15/15 at 7:40 am

Some food even got caught in between my teeth too. Annoying.  ::)

and then the rubber bands would go flying out your mouth.

Written By: nally on 10/15/15 at 8:04 pm

I had the same experiences. But I was always careful never to bite directly into the food; I'd have to cut it up and chew with the side/back teeth. And the food had to be soft.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/22/15 at 3:59 pm

I kind of want braces, I've never had them though. If I did get them, I'd try to opt for the ones that go behind my teeth so they don't show. It's bad enough getting lipstick on my teeth. It'd be a nightmare trying to get it off braces.

Check for new replies or respond here...