inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What attracted you to this board?

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 01/05/16 at 1:20 am

Hello guys. Just a quick question on why you registered here. I'll start with my reasons. The main interested for me on this board is 2000s discussion. Little did I know it at the time but when I was in the 2000s I reminisced about the 90s a lot, when, actually, the 2000s were the era that defined me more. Being born in Nov '89 I am a quintessential gen Y'er and thus a decade ago my generation were heralded as being the up and coming next big thing who were completely alien to adults. In a lot of ways, not much has changed since the mid 00s yet here we are a decade on and I am a decade older, trying to make sense of it all.

So I definitely registered for the 2000s discussions, I want to look back on the 2000s and remember the sights, sounds, smells of everything that was familiar back then. This is also from a British perspective so some things may be different to America but a lot of things are the same. For instance Eminem was just as big here, my generation could easily be known as the "Eminem" generation, even people into Rock and alternative music sometimes liked Eminem. I remember things that happened in the world as being recent and then realise that they were years ago.

And in terms of TV shows, they go a long way to define an era, we had Smallville, Supernatural, Lost, My name is Earl, Beauty and the Geek, Ugly Betty, The Simple Life, all of those mid 2000s tv shows got imported from America and have a very mid 2000s feel to them. Indeed, my nostalgia can appear obsessive, but I just get overloaded with it sometimes, I feel like I want to "acknowledge" the 2000s before they become a faded distant memory. They were my youth years after all and I feel that they are familiar yet different and that the memories are slipping away which makes me sad.

Well that got deep, but anything involving nostalgia normally does, over to you guys.

Subject: Re: What attracted you to this board?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/05/16 at 1:29 am

I didn't see enough respect and too much misunderstanding for the great 2000, 2001 and 2002 so I joined on my quest to defend the early 2000's with an iron fist. Gotta respect the 80's, too. They ruled.

I also like talking about Pop Culture so there's that.

Written By: gibbo on 01/05/16 at 3:13 am

I initially was a guest ... Just checking out the 60's, 70's & 80's nostalgic threads. I followed conversations of members (some are still here). I liked the feel of the place, so I joined as a member.

Then I started playing in the word game threads (trying to keep up with Philip Eno). Of course, that wasn't possible! Then I got right into the games arcade with the single goal of knocking off whistledog's championships.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/16 at 3:54 am

Horses told me about it.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjPAlq-JHgUufuj6m2qqHLLlMuI9Y2H2Hs_fzdtjWIEeMu_j51Zw

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/16 at 3:56 am

On a more serious note, I liked talking about decades, and pop culture. And searched 2000's decade in 2001, and this website came up.

I didn't come on until August 2008, but have lurked since 2001.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/16 at 10:33 am

A long, long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), I was looking for a song. I didn't know that I could post as a guest so I signed up so I could ask about the song and never left.

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/05/16 at 1:34 pm

The various discussions that were going on in the early 2000s (on the old board of course). Mostly in the Song Lyrics and Song Parodies sections, as I was a regular visitor to Amiright at first (and I found this site through that one). But then after I first registered I began going to the other sections and got well acquainted with them. :)

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/05/16 at 3:20 pm

The "what was life like as a kid in the early 2000s? thread." I first found this site Googling various Early 2000s questions and read every post in that topic. I just had to share my input as I became addicted and joined by then.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/16 at 3:31 pm

The different varieties of subjects to discuss.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/16 at 3:34 pm

I was recommended by online friends when the board we were on was shutdown.

Written By: annimal on 01/05/16 at 4:00 pm

I ended up first coming to Amiright to learn how to write parodies. Then I ended up joining here and was glad I did because there seems to be a lot more people I can talk to and about a lot of different things. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/05/16 at 11:53 pm

Hello guys. Just a quick question on why you registered here.

I came here at a dark time for lyrics sites; 2005 was a time at which independent lyrics sites were being shut down, and the sites that remained up were questionable, in terms of accuracy and likelihood of malware, at best. 

http://www.rshb.org.uk/dust/intaferon_getout.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u3UNwybclo

Before wikis, before rapgenius/genius, before the big scraping sites just signed deals with Harry Fox, and way before anyone could just punch a song into YouTube and be assured of getting the answer without having to actually ask another human being, there was our little backwater of the web, and at the time we were the only results for Get out of London, and we're arguably the only one left with an accurate copy of the lyrics to Double Dutch Bus, unless the database scrapers have incorporated the changes in the intervening years.)

Whoever the posters known as kataz, Johnny Mindbox, and others in the Intaferon thread were, thank you.  By posting the lyrics to a song that nobody else knew about, and then talking about it, you not only added to the world's store of knowledge, you demonstrated that this site's lyrics board wasn't just a database, but a community, and you inadvertently helped me meet some people who I'm proud to consider my friends.  (And ChuckyG and the mods who sweep out the real spam 24/7, thanks for keeping anonymous posting open.  Without that feature, I would probably never have never have gotten serious about Double Dutch Bus.)

And thank you, 2000s Nostalgiaist, because until tonight, I didn't know someone had covered it in 2007!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/06/16 at 10:52 am

My favorite decade is the 1980s and I had initially googled looking for examples of 80s hair and makeup I could realistically copy back in like 2008...and the 80s part of this forum came up. It all looked very interesting and so I joined. I've been here ever since. I like it here. Except for a few spats about a certain pop star I really do love it here.  ;D

Written By: Ripley on 01/06/16 at 9:55 pm

I could tell right from the bat its fun and filled with nice people who like to be nostalgic like me. So I stuck around.

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/16 at 8:13 am

I would have thought that a Brit would hate the 2000s more than the average American. I mean you guys had Tony Blair! And when I talked to Brits in the 2000s, they seemed to really hate chavs. Everything was chav this, chav that. Do chavs still exist?

I think I searched "Is 1993 a millennial?" or "Is 1993 a 90s kid?" on Google, and found this place. I saw a lot of late 90s/early 2000s love so I thought I should join!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 01/24/16 at 2:36 pm

I love to talk about the 2000s, and I would like to find stuff related to the decade. When I tried to search forums that were friendly to the 2000s, I found this site and I joined.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/07/16 at 9:11 am

It's been so long ago I forget.  I must have been looking for 80's stuff.

Written By: Redhairkid on 02/08/16 at 12:05 pm

To be honest, I don't really know!

But I do like the nostalgia slant, especially the 1960s and 1970s.

Check for new replies or respond here...