inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Other languages?

Written By: violet_shy on 01/27/16 at 6:45 pm

What other languages do you know besides modern English?

I am recently becoming familiar with Hebrew, because I am partly Jewish. It is an old language and difficult to read. I know Spanish and a little bit of French(some phrases and words). I am also Greek and Taino but I don't know the languages.

Ok everyone, I am curious!

Subject: Re: Other languages?

Written By: violet_shy on 01/30/16 at 4:59 pm

C'mon people, anyone! 14 views and no replies! This is an interesting topic ;D

Written By: nally on 01/30/16 at 5:04 pm

This is an interesting topic ;D

I think it is... in fact, I know Spanish pretty well; I took it in school and did well in all the Spanish classes I took...even when I got to the more complicated levels. In addition, I have made attempts to speak in Spanish with certain native speakers I know. :)

Written By: loki 13 on 01/30/16 at 7:00 pm

Ich versuche, Deutsch zu lernen, aber ich bin nicht sehr gut darin.

I am trying to learn German but I am not very good at it.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/30/16 at 7:26 pm

Ha! I got some of you to reply didn't I! :D

I think it is... in fact, I know Spanish pretty well; I took it in school and did well in all the Spanish classes I took...even when I got to the more complicated levels. In addition, I have made attempts to speak in Spanish with certain native speakers I know. :)

Just like my French

Ich versuche, Deutsch zu lernen, aber ich bin nicht sehr gut darin.

I am trying to learn German but I am not very good at it.

Does the German word "Darin" mean "it"?

Written By: 2001 on 01/30/16 at 9:32 pm

Je peux parler un petit peu de français.

I can understand it (when spoken) and read it very fluently. I watch and read the news in French everyday. I haven't got much of a chance to practice my writing/speaking skills, but I hope to start soon.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/30/16 at 11:22 pm

I took French 1-4 in high school, and I know some Spanish phrases (I live in Texas I could count in Spanish before English) and some German phrases my father taught me that he learned in the war. I want to learn more French and I want to learn German...to hopefully be fluent.

Written By: Redhairkid on 01/31/16 at 6:43 am

Irish, Gaelic, French, Spanish and Italian.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/16 at 6:46 am

Schoolboy French and I understand Tagalog.

Written By: Henk on 01/31/16 at 9:23 am

Well, I'm fluent in Dutch (as one might expect). ::)

I know German well enough to be able to read and understand it (when spoken). I can speak it as well, although I'm sure it isn't flawless. Now writing on the other hand...that's a different story. Still need lots of help with that!

I know just enough French to be able to read it. I don't even attempt to write in French, and thankfully I've never had to speak it (outside classroom, that is).

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/16 at 9:56 am

Well, I'm fluent in Dutch (as one might expect). ::)

I know German well enough to be able to read and understand it (when spoken). I can speak it as well, although I'm sure it isn't flawless. Now writing on the other hand...that's a different story. Still need lots of help with that!

I know just enough French to be able to read it. I don't even attempt to write in French, and thankfully I've never had to speak it (outside classroom, that is).
I can remember you in the past saying that German is a very difficult language to learn.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/31/16 at 4:13 pm

I can understand it (when spoken) and read it very fluently. I watch and read the news in French everyday. I haven't got much of a chance to practice my writing/speaking skills, but I hope to start soon.

J e ne parle pas Francais much, haha lol 

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/16 at 6:32 pm

I only know how to say Hola, basura, nino, nina, and other Spanish words.

Written By: 2001 on 02/01/16 at 6:40 pm

;D

Written By: nally on 02/02/16 at 12:36 am

Nor do I, but I do know some words and phrases.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 8:23 am

same here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/16 at 8:29 am

In Spanish, I know Feliz Navidad.

Written By: Arrowstone on 02/02/16 at 11:15 am

same as Henk

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/04/16 at 7:49 am

I can understand, speak, and write a little bit of Spanish, but not fluently.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/04/16 at 9:16 am

I can read German and can understand some spoken.

Written By: 2001 on 12/09/20 at 12:07 am

Oh this was when I was being coy and didn't feel comfortable revealing my ethnicity loll.

I can speak 5 languages English, Punjabi, Hindi, Korean and French with varying degrees of fluency.

Anyway my reason for bumping this thread is that I had job interview today and I did something I never thought I'd do and that is conduct (20-30% of) a job interview in Korean. I mentioned language learning as one of my hobbies, and the interviewee was Korean and so we talked. I hope I get an offer because he spent almost half the interview with his jaw on the floor. :P I was shocked at the words coming out of my mouth too to be honest. I didn't even know I knew words like 이력서 (iryeokseo - resume) or 졸업식 (joreopshik - graduation)

I watched way too many K-dramas.  :-[ :P I used to be more fluent about 7-10 years ago when I would talk to my Korean friends and practise everyday, but it looks like I still got some groove. It's been so long I thought I would've forgotten everything but K-Pop lyrics by now.

Written By: Elor on 12/09/20 at 12:56 am

It's always amazing how languages can open doors.
That's why I'm so glad I learned English which is unfortunately the only foreign language I speak fluently (more or less).

Written By: karen on 12/09/20 at 1:00 am

That's why I'm so glad I learned English which is unfortunately the only foreign language I speak fluently (more or less).

Let’s face it plenty of native speakers are only more or less fluent in English!

Written By: 2001 on 12/09/20 at 9:04 am

You should be proud of that. If you didn't mention that English was your second language I never would have guessed.

If English wasn't a language I got "for free", I'm not sure I could have learnt it to the fluency you did. The only non-English message board I posted in were some troll comments on a French gaming forum.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/09/20 at 9:21 am

Oh this was when I was being coy and didn't feel comfortable revealing my ethnicity loll.

I can speak 5 languages English, Punjabi, Hindi, Korean and French with varying degrees of fluency.

Anyway my reason for bumping this thread is that I had job interview today and I did something I never thought I'd do and that is conduct (20-30% of) a job interview in Korean. I mentioned language learning as one of my hobbies, and the interviewee was Korean and so we talked. I hope I get an offer because he spent almost half the interview with his jaw on the floor. :P I was shocked at the words coming out of my mouth too to be honest. I didn't even know I knew words like 이력서 (iryeokseo - resume) or 졸업식 (joreopshik - graduation)

I watched way too many K-dramas.  :-[ :P I used to be more fluent about 7-10 years ago when I would talk to my Korean friends and practise everyday, but it looks like I still got some groove. It's been so long I thought I would've forgotten everything but K-Pop lyrics by now.

Bing bi- or multi-lingual is an incredible asset!  A person who knows two or more languages in VERY marketable in this day and age. Don't hide it for heaven's sake. And be SURE to put it on your resume! It will open many doors. Even for jobs that don't require a person to be multi-lingual, they will still be impressed by the skill.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/20 at 2:19 pm

Studied French in high school & college but by no means fluent. But, for the most part I can understand it written. I also know a few songs.

Then I married a Puerto Rican who brings me to Puerto Rico almost every year-and I only know a few words of Spanish. I know how to say: Dónde está el baño? But I can't understand what the answer is.  :-\\  I usually don't have to worry because I have two interpreters with me-Carlos & his sister. In fact, many times we are sitting around with a bunch of cousins and they are all talking in Spanish and I am just sitting there wondering what they are talking about. Once in a while, they will say one or two words in English so I know. But, my WONDERFUL SIL will often turn to me and say, "We are talking about ___" without me even having to ask.

When we bought the house in Puerto Rico, I was reading the deed in Spanish and pretty much understood most of it. There may have been one or two words that I didn't know.

I do know a few words of Hebrew & Yiddish-along with a few songs.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 12/09/20 at 2:38 pm

Bing bi- or multi-lingual is an incredible asset!  A person who knows two or more languages in VERY marketable in this day and age. Don't hide it for heaven's sake. And be SURE to put it on your resume! It will open many doors. Even for jobs that don't require a person to be multi-lingual, they will still be impressed by the skill.

I've read horror stories about people putting "speaks Spanish" on their résumé and then being tasked with communicating with Spanish clients and business partners on the job. I'm conversant in a few languages but the only language I feel comfortable working in a professional capacity is English.

I do have things in my resume that allude to my language learning hobby (made an app that retrieves dictionary definitions and generates example sentence flashcards), so during the interview is usually when it gets brought up. I could try adding a tiny microscopic font bullet point and see how it goes  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/20 at 3:06 pm

I've read horror stories about people putting "speaks Spanish" on their résumé and then being tasked with communicating with Spanish clients and business partners on the job. I'm conversant in a few languages but the only language I feel comfortable working in a professional capacity is English.

I do have things in my resume that allude to my language learning hobby (made an app that retrieves dictionary definitions and generates example sentence flashcards), so during the interview is usually when it gets brought up. I could try adding a tiny microscopic font bullet point and see how it goes  ;D

My SIL used to work for a company that made diagnostic health machines. Since she could speak Spanish fluently, they sent her all over the world-even to places where Spanish wasn't the main language-like China, Japan, Thailand & probably several other places.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/09/20 at 3:15 pm

My SIL used to work for a company that made diagnostic health machines. Since she could speak Spanish fluently, they sent her all over the world-even to places where Spanish wasn't the main language-like China, Japan, Thailand & probably several other places.

Cat

When I was in high school (and also in grammar school) back in the prehistoric times, I was taught French (none of which I retain, by the way). Spanish wasn't even an option. This was manifestly foolish.  What were they expecting? A massive influx of French speaking immigrants into the country? Anybody could have seen, even that far back, that if a  wave of immigration came (which it later did), it would consist largely of Spanish speaking peoples. Learning Spanish would have ben a practical skill.  So what do the dumbheads in the school system in those ancient times do? Teach us French. I think they thought this was an "elegant" thing to do or something. Nice if I want to impress someone at a French restaurant.  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 12/09/20 at 3:45 pm

Studied French in high school & college but by no means fluent. But, for the most part I can understand it written. I also know a few songs.

Then I married a Puerto Rican who brings me to Puerto Rico almost every year-and I only know a few words of Spanish. I know how to say: Dónde está el baño? But I can't understand what the answer is.  :-\\  I usually don't have to worry because I have two interpreters with me-Carlos & his sister. In fact, many times we are sitting around with a bunch of cousins and they are all talking in Spanish and I am just sitting there wondering what they are talking about. Once in a while, they will say one or two words in English so I know. But, my WONDERFUL SIL will often turn to me and say, "We are talking about ___" without me even having to ask.

When we bought the house in Puerto Rico, I was reading the deed in Spanish and pretty much understood most of it. There may have been one or two words that I didn't know.

Cat

You said you have an Amazon Fire tablet, right? Have you tried the app Duolingo? It has a website too (https://www.duolingo.com/). It's where I learnt French up to an intermediate level. I didn't even intend on learning French, it was just an app my friend recommended, but then I got addicted. It's THAT good.

If enough people are interested, maybe we can all follow each other on that website and compete with/encourage each other for points.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/20 at 3:47 pm

When I was in high school (and also in grammar school) back in the prehistoric times, I was taught French (none of which I retain, by the way). Spanish wasn't even an option. This was manifestly foolish.  What were they expecting? A massive influx of French speaking immigrants into the country? Anybody could have seen, even that far back, that if a  wave of immigration came (which it later did), it would consist largely of Spanish speaking peoples. Learning Spanish would have ben a practical skill.  So what do the dumbheads in the school system in those ancient times do? Teach us French. I think they thought this was an "elegant" thing to do or something. Nice if I want to impress someone at a French restaurant.  ::)

Going to school in upstate New York, Canada wasn't too far so French was the option.

I was taught a little French in first & second grade. I went to a private school and EVERYONE took French. At my grade level, we were only taught songs and such. I wish that I stayed at that school throughout my elementary years because I probably would be able to speak French.

I believe THAT is the time to teach another language-not when someone gets to high school. It is much easier to learn at the younger age than by the time you are almost an adult. I am pretty sure that schools across the globe teach younger kids other languages. It is just in this country that things are not done the correct way.

You said you have an Amazon Fire tablet, right? Have you tried the app Duolingo? It has a website too (https://www.duolingo.com/). It's where I learnt French up to an intermediate level. I didn't even intend on learning French, it was just an app my friend recommended, but then I got addicted. It's THAT good.

If enough people are interested, maybe we can all follow each other on that website and compete with/encourage each other for points.

Interesting. I will look into it.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 12/09/20 at 4:36 pm

To be fair, a large quantity of the more complicated English vocabulary is inherited from Latin via French. Studying French could thus ameliorate one's English vocabulary and equip them with a more profound comprehension  of their own language.

Although, with Spanish also being a Latin language I guess the same thing could be accomplished with that.  :-X

Written By: kr37 on 12/09/20 at 6:26 pm

I enjoy learning other languages as well. I can usually understand written French and Spanish (I took French and Spanish classes in school), and I have also learned a little bit of Swedish and Arabic. I find it much harder to understand spoken French and Spanish, though I was happy that I was able to have short conversations with people in French on trips to Québec. The accent in Québec is different from the French accent I learned in school, which I think also made understanding some things harder.
Since Spanish and French have some similarities, sometimes I accidentally mix them together! Sometimes I'll do this if I am trying to speak French and don't know a word but know the same word in Spanish, or vice versa.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 12/09/20 at 10:50 pm

I enjoy learning other languages as well. I can usually understand written French and Spanish (I took French and Spanish classes in school), and I have also learned a little bit of Swedish and Arabic. I find it much harder to understand spoken French and Spanish, though I was happy that I was able to have short conversations with people in French on trips to Québec. The accent in Québec is different from the French accent I learned in school, which I think also made understanding some things harder.
Since Spanish and French have some similarities, sometimes I accidentally mix them together! Sometimes I'll do this if I am trying to speak French and don't know a word but know the same word in Spanish, or vice versa.  ;D

I LIVE in Canada and the Canadian/Québécois accent trips me up too.

How much of this can you understand? ;D

-f--aioexOE

Written By: nally on 12/09/20 at 11:03 pm

In recent years I have improved on my conversational Spanish.

Written By: kr37 on 12/10/20 at 12:45 am

I could only understand a small number of words in that video...  ;D

Written By: karen on 12/10/20 at 12:50 am

My daughter learnt some French at primary school in England, then we moved to the US where she learnt some Spanish. When we moved back to England she started French again. She would apparently sometimes answer the teacher in very good Spanish, but not realise she had done so. In the end she took exams in both languages.

Written By: kr37 on 12/10/20 at 1:02 am

My daughter learnt some French at primary school in England, then we moved to the US where she learnt some Spanish. When we moved back to England she started French again. She would apparently sometimes answer the teacher in very good Spanish, but not realise she had done so. In the end she took exams in both languages.

During my first Spanish test my teacher asked me a question and I replied in French!  :o ;D
It seems like the words I most commonly mix up are the small words that link bigger words together, like avec/con, où/dónde, etc.

Written By: Howard on 12/10/20 at 4:52 am

Cat

My Father does too as well.

Written By: Redhairkid on 12/10/20 at 10:22 am

I read and understand some Swedish due to my obsession with a certain musician from that nation.

Written By: Elor on 12/10/20 at 11:47 am

I LIVE in Canada and the Canadian/Québécois accent trips me up too.
I have been told that the francophone part of Canada is the place where French tourists start to speak English. ;D

Regarding Duolingo I tried to learn Japanese with it but found the Hiragana (one of the Japanese writing systems for those who don't know) lessons to not be very helpful. It was like getting tested without being properly taught before.... Ah well, don't have time for it now anyway but my brother in law is using it as one of his toosl to learn Japanese and he's making good progress.

Written By: wagonman76 on 12/10/20 at 11:57 am

I couldn’t do another language. I have a hard enough time understanding people who speak English in different accents. Why I work in engineering and not customer service. That and I’m not great dealing with customers to begin with.

I agree it is a valuable skill as we become more of a global economy, and deal with various cultures.

Written By: 2001 on 12/10/20 at 4:26 pm

I have been told that the francophone part of Canada is the place where French tourists start to speak English. ;D

Regarding Duolingo I tried to learn Japanese with it but found the Hiragana (one of the Japanese writing systems for those who don't know) lessons to not be very helpful. It was like getting tested without being properly taught before.... Ah well, don't have time for it now anyway but my brother in law is using it as one of his toosl to learn Japanese and he's making good progress.

I learnt Japanese kana (Hiragana + Katakana) in the most unconventional way possible, hear me out. I was 13 years old and wanted to keep a diary of sorts, but I was afraid of the prying eyes of my family, they're real snoops. I decided that I needed to encrypt what I wrote somehow, and instead of doing something logical like replacing letters with other letters, numbers or symbols I already knew, I decided I needed to pick the most  indecipherable writing system possible, to really scare people away. I settled on Japanese.

I shared a bedroom with my then 12 year old brother and we shared the one computer, so he saw what I was up to with Japanese. I wrote down an insult like "you are a fatso" in Japanese. He managed to decipher it, and then wrote his own insult like "you are stupid". We went back on forth like this over the next couple of days, and I wrote a lot of other English words down too in my head. Over a week or so we were pretty good at it and would look at the old insults we wrote down and laugh at our mistakes.

My initial plan to write an indecipherable diary was foiled now that my brother could read Japanese  >:( (Japanese has a terrible writing system for transcribing English or any non-Japanese language anyway)

ANYWAY if you want my tipz on learning new writing systems, my advice is to use mnemonics. Just create a silly picture or image surrounding the letter, it will make it stick a lot easier. For example あ "a" to me looks like a sword or crucifix being shoved down a hole. You could imagine a dentist telling his patient to say "ahhh" and then stabbing a sword down his mouth. It's a ridiculous image, but you probably won't forget it now. ;D

And then you link it to the next letter. い (i) to me looks like a pair of chopsticks. You could imagine the patient getting out chopsticks and eating the sword in his mouth with the chopsticks. If you can't remember it, it means your mnemonic wasn't ridiculous or memorable enough, you need to try again and make it your own. After a few days you won't need the mnemonic anymore since your brain will know how to skip the steps.  :P

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/18/20 at 10:07 pm

I know a conversational level of Russian, and maybe the same with Spanish. Some Spanish speaker I know says my Spanish is good, but I know she's most likely being nice.

I was 13 or so when I went to a Russian market and could pick out a guy saying to his friend, 《И он сказил...》("And he said...") .

Written By: Elor on 12/19/20 at 1:07 am

I believe THAT is the time to teach another language-not when someone gets to high school. It is much easier to learn at the younger age than by the time you are almost an adult. I am pretty sure that schools across the globe teach younger kids other languages. It is just in this country that things are not done the correct way.

When I went to school we started learning English in 5th grade. I believe they already start in elementary school now.

Written By: 2001 on 12/19/20 at 10:05 am

I just made my 7,000th flashcard in French this morning. Each flashcard is a sentence containing 1 or 2 new words in it. That must mean I know around 10,000 words.  :D

When I went to school we started learning English in 5th grade. I believe they already start in elementary school now.

Over here we start learning French in Grade 4 (I was 8 going on 9). I only studied it to Grade 10 though. My French teacher was disappointed I didn't continue because she thought I could learn French all the way. Hopefully she ends up being right in the end. :P

We also have immersion schools which start off with French instruction but eventually become English/French bilingual. They're very difficult to get into though, like, get ready as a parent to claim your spot in line a week before registrations begin. Don't have enough qualified French speaking teachers to enrol everyone. I heard a Chinese version opened up near me but I'm not sure that one is a public school.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/16/21 at 8:03 pm

Anyone know what "Haneen" means? It was the name of an old chat room I use to participate in. It was another language  and English. They were super friendly. Maybe I'll just look it up.

Written By: 2001 on 03/16/21 at 9:05 pm

Anyone know what "Haneen" means? It was the name of an old chat room I use to participate in. It was another language  and English. They were super friendly. Maybe I'll just look it up.

Haneen is an indirect Quranic (Classical Arabic) name for girls meaning strong love, longing, desire, nostalgia. https://quranicnames.com/haneen/

Written By: violet_shy on 03/17/21 at 11:28 am

Haneen is an indirect Quranic (Classical Arabic) name for girls meaning strong love, longing, desire, nostalgia. https://quranicnames.com/haneen/

Ok thank you! I was close. I was thinking it meant friendship.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/21 at 1:52 pm

Klingon anyone?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/21 at 6:19 pm

Klingon anyone?

I have a friend who can speak Klingon.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 07/15/21 at 4:19 pm

I have a friend who can speak Klingon.

Cat

I want to learn 👾

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/21 at 5:51 am

I learnt the language of music, and still remember some of it today.

Written By: 2001 on 08/07/21 at 8:16 pm

I took the practice beginner-level TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean - 韓國語能力試驗) and got 100%!

I tried the practice advanced-level test and got ~50%, but that was with a lot of multiple choice and guessing... I swear it went from "I drink water" to "I quench my polydypsia with dihydrogen oxide". I had never seen that vocabulary in my manhwas (comics) that's for sure.

I would need to get 50% on the advanced test to reach 4급, level 4, described as "being able to live functionally in Korea and socialize". 5급 needs 63% and is described as working fluency, and 6급 needs 76% and described as native fluency.

I hope I can at least get 5급 but if I reach 4급 I will be happy. I think I am already at or close to 3급 which needs 40% and is described as "being able to live in Korea without daily difficulty"  Time to watch more K Dramas hit the books!

I restarted using Duolingo. I have a 77 day streak so far. I'm doing both Korean and Japanese. I don't really need the Korean but the app is pretty addictive.

I got 4.2/5 on their Korean progress test

https://i.imgur.com/D5SVRkl.png

As for Japanese, my results were also quite stellar....

https://i.imgur.com/FGn64KN.png

もっと勉強します…  :\'(

Written By: nally on 05/31/22 at 10:31 pm

Lately my parents have been using the Duolingo app to learn Italian. They practice several times a day, every day, so that they can learn it well.

Written By: nally on 10/06/22 at 11:49 pm

Lately my parents have been using the Duolingo app to learn Italian. They practice several times a day, every day, so that they can learn it well.

Update.. they are also using it for Spanish and German. They’re trying to get me to use the app too, but I haven’t felt ready to do so just yet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/22 at 10:53 am

I am now committed to learning sign language, I do not trust my hearing at the moment.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/09/22 at 11:56 am

I am now committed to learning sign language, I do not trust my hearing at the moment.

I know a little. I can do the alphabet and a few words.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/22 at 12:05 pm

I know a little. I can do the alphabet and a few words.

Cat
I know the basics, I know necessary words for brief conversations.

Written By: nally on 10/09/22 at 1:34 pm

I know the basics, I know necessary words for brief conversations.

That's good. I think I might struggle to learn it (from a personal standpoint).

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/22 at 4:45 pm

I now have an app on my phone to help with sign language, but the only problem is the right definition for the word concerned.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/23 at 12:09 pm

I know a few Anglo-Saxon words.

Check for new replies or respond here...