inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does Anybody Have Any Tips For Someone Who's Flying For The First Time?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/01/16 at 4:26 pm

In just two short months I'll be on a train to Halifax and that's a good thing but the thing is the next day I have to get on a plane bound for St John's which wouldn't be too bad a thing but for my anxiety about flying?
Since the 9/11 attacks on the US I haven't been too keen on the idea of flying out anywhere? I just want some basic tips so is there anyone who has some tips about flying? (No smart aleck responses please! I already have enough anxiety about flying as it is.)

Subject: Re: Does Anybody Have Any Tips For Someone Who's Flying For The First Time?

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/16 at 4:41 pm

In just two short months I'll be on a train to Halifax and that's a good thing but the thing is the next day I have to get on a plane bound for St John's which wouldn't be too bad a thing but for my anxiety about flying?
Since the 9/11 attacks on the US I haven't been too keen on the idea of flying out anywhere? I just want some basic tips so is there anyone who has some tips about flying? (No smart aleck responses please! I already have enough anxiety about flying as it is.)

I have a huge fear of flying so I get it.

Get there early. 
Go to the bathroom often....nervous pee is the worst pee.
Research what you can and can't carry on a plane
Try relaxing/breathing techniques.

For me my dog is certified as a comfort animal so basically I just squeezed her tight through the turbulence until the damn plane landed lol

But I also brought headphones and made sure my phone had plenty of juice. And I listened to my music which was soothing to me the whole flight.

Subject: Re: Does Anybody Have Any Tips For Someone Who's Flying For The First Time?

Written By: 2001 on 05/01/16 at 4:46 pm

Is it serious? You could probably talk to a doctor and get some pills to help. If it's just a small anxiety, then I'm not sure. I would concentrate on how much fun it would be after I land in St. John's. Maybe bring pictures of the city with you, they have some nice looking buildings.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/16 at 6:37 pm

I am notorious for having anxiety attacks on planes-and yet, I still get on them even though I HATE it with a passion.

As Q said, get there early and be prepared to wait...and wait....and wait. The majority of the time you are sitting waiting. You have to be patient. I don't know how security is in Canada but here in the States it is awful. I can't tell you how many times I have been groped by a TSA worker.  ::) But, that is just something you have to go through if you want to fly.

I am a tea-aholic and love my tea. But, on flying days-I DON'T DRINK! You can get some water on the plane and sip if you really must (I do but try to limit). I learned my lesson the hard way. I had a nice cup of tea before getting on to a flight and then we hit some major turbulence and MAN, I did all I could from peeing my pants because I could not get up to go to the lavatory. Once the plane settled down I ran. The flight attendant said, "I'm not going to stop you but..." After I got back to my seat, the captain came over the P.A. and said if we needed to go to do it quickly. I basically said, "Been there, done that." Now I do not drink at all before a flight. (BTW, that was the worst flight I ever had.)

Bring something with you to do-like a book to read, crossword puzzles, etc. If you have a tablet or a smart phone, that can be a great help but just make sure it is charged because there is no place to charge it on the plane. Earphones are always good. Depending what airline, you may have t.v. or music piped in. When I flew USAir (which is now apart of American Airlines), I plugged my earphones into the seat and they had piped in music with a bunch of channels to choose from. With JetBlue (which is the best airline if you ask me), you have t.v. you can watch or you can listen to. For me, the t.v. & music is the best distraction from my fear. You can bring your own but you will have to turn it off during take-off & landing. 

As I am boarding a plane, I ALWAYS make a request to the flight attendants/crew-that we have an uneventful flight. When I feel my anxiety creeping up on me, I say to myself, "Uneventful. Uneventful. Uneventful."  Another thing that I do (but I know it probably won't work for you) is that I hold (and squeeze) Carlos' hand as we are taking off and landing. Sometimes I think I squeeze his hand so hard that I cut off his circulation.

The biggest thing to remember to do is to BREATH! That is something that Carlos usually has to remind me to do.

I'm sure you will do just fine.

Cat

Written By: meesa on 05/01/16 at 6:46 pm

I hate flying myself, love the takeoff and landing, but all that time in the middle is what I don't like. So, as long as I don't think about where I am too much, it is better. This is what I do:

Bring a book, one that I have read before and know that I love.
Chew gum (my ears pop something awful)
Phone or mp3 for music.
I do NOT sit by a window, and if I have to, the window stays shut.
If I have my laptop I work on reports for work (Excel Spreadsheets and pivot tables).
For me it is all about being distracted!

If all else fails I take a benadryl. Makes me sleepy and I don't care where I am!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/16 at 7:24 pm

I hate flying myself, love the takeoff and landing, but all that time in the middle is what I don't like. So, as long as I don't think about where I am too much, it is better. This is what I do:

Bring a book, one that I have read before and know that I love.
Chew gum (my ears pop something awful)
Phone or mp3 for music.
I do NOT sit by a window, and if I have to, the window stays shut.
If I have my laptop I work on reports for work (Excel Spreadsheets and pivot tables).
For me it is all about being distracted!

If all else fails I take a benadryl. Makes me sleepy and I don't care where I am!

As much as I hate to fly, I HAVE to sit by the window. I do look out. But that is me.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 05/01/16 at 7:38 pm

Bring a lucky charm, like a three leaf clover, or a shamrock. It makes you feel safe, like a security blanket (not a literal blanket).

Other comments here are great too.

Written By: karen on 05/02/16 at 3:10 am

Beforehand be prepared to queue through security.  Yes, the checks are annoying but they are there to try and keep everyone safe.

check the rules on liquids etc and the size of carry on bag you are allowed.

I try to slow my breathing down by counting the breath in and out.

I find sucking boiled sweets works better for my ears than chewing gum.

I usually read a magazine or newspaper during the flight.

Water is the best thing to drink as you can get dehydrated.

A doctor may prescribed an anti-anxiety medication if you ask, though I found they made me a little dizzy.

Written By: snozberries on 05/02/16 at 10:13 am

Bring an external charger....but not a giant brick like the one I own. When I as coming back from az I had my phone plugged into it and the cable wrapped around it...I guess on the scanner it looked like a suspicious device.  ;D

Also you can listen to music during take off and landings if you are listening via your cell phone and have it airplane mode.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/02/16 at 4:05 pm

I would prefer to drink before I get on the plane (I'm a happy drunk and would just giggle the whole  flight) I've never flown, but I keep telling my bestie if I have to fly, I'm drinking a bottle of wine like a juice box to hopefully put me to sleep. I'm terrified of plane crashings, plane hijackings, etc. So I'd rather sleep through the end if it happens.

Are people allowed on the plane tipsy if they're not aggressive or fighting?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/02/16 at 4:42 pm

Beforehand be prepared to queue through security.  Yes, the checks are annoying but they are there to try and keep everyone safe.

check the rules on liquids etc and the size of carry on bag you are allowed.

I try to slow my breathing down by counting the breath in and out.

I find sucking boiled sweets works better for my ears than chewing gum.

I usually read a magazine or newspaper during the flight.

Water is the best thing to drink as you can get dehydrated.

A doctor may prescribed an anti-anxiety medication if you ask, though I found they made me a little dizzy.

I checked with the CASA about liquids and it says that bottles of liquids and aerosols cannot exceed 100 ml.  So I'll have to hit the Duty Free shop before hand to see what I can find before boarding the plane.  My mom said that I can bring my laptop in my carry on as my "personal" item but customs does check it through an x ray machine.  :) I'm putting together a You Tube song list.  My preference is to not be medicated.  Because I don't like how those types of medications affect me.
When I was a kid I had to take anti-anxietants before dentist's appointments and I found that I ended up getting more agitated so my goal is as little agitation as possible.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/02/16 at 4:45 pm

I would prefer to drink before I get on the plane (I'm a happy drunk and would just giggle the whole  flight) I've never flown, but I keep telling my bestie if I have to fly, I'm drinking a bottle of wine like a juice box to hopefully put me to sleep. I'm terrified of plane crashings, plane hijackings, etc. So I'd rather sleep through the end if it happens.

I think that as long as the liquid in the bottle doesn't exceed 100 ml then you should be fine.  :)  I don't drink much except maybe on special occaisions my birthday/my mother's birthday or Christmas.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/02/16 at 5:33 pm

I think that as long as the liquid in the bottle doesn't exceed 100 ml then you should be fine.  :)  I don't drink much except maybe on special occaisions my birthday/my mother's birthday or Christmas.

Oh, I'd slam down that drink before I even got to Hobby Airport.  :D I'd just smile alot.

Written By: snozberries on 05/02/16 at 6:35 pm

If you are unable to walk straight or support yourself or are disruptive in any way...even a happy way...they can stop you from boarding.  Happy drinks are not as amusingly they think they are and can still be, albeit unintentionally, they can be disruptive

The problem with being passed out or asleep
If something happens on a flight is you can't defend or save yourself.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/02/16 at 8:52 pm

;D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/11/16 at 6:07 pm

I'm going to bring Archie my stuffed Schnauzer dog with me on the plane.  :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/16 at 7:53 pm

I think the best way to approach your first time flying is to try not to fear it but instead try to be excited about it. The first time I flew was in 1989 from Omaha to St. Louis for my enlistment into the Army, and I wasn't petrified but I definitely felt some apprehension about it. But once we got underway all I could think was "OHMYGODTHISISTHE COOLESTTHINGI'VEEVERDONEINMYLIFE!!!" 

Now, granted, it does depend on what type of plane you're on. If you're on a jet then it's all gravy because it's generally a smooth ride, but the twin engine turboprop commuter planes can ride quite a bit more roughly. I've only been on one of the smaller prop planes once and it was definitely more unsettling than the bigger jets, but I just asked another passenger if this was normal and he said yes, so I just decided not to worry about it too much.

After my military time was over I went 20+ years before I flew again and I had the same apprehension about it (plus I had to go through all the post 9-11 TSA BS), but again after the plane took off I enjoyed the experience tremendously.  Really the only thing I don't like about flying is all the crap you have to deal with from the airlines.  :P

So I'd say the best thing to do is just try to relax and enjoy it.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/12/16 at 3:43 pm

It's a Bombardier Q400 Next Generation twin engine.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/03/16 at 12:55 pm

So, how'd it go?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/03/16 at 1:06 pm

It went off without a hitch.  :)  I was great going there and coming back and having my stuffed schnauzer Archie there with me was a great source of comfort.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...