inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What are your pet peeves?

Written By: muppethammer26 on 07/09/16 at 12:39 pm

Pet peeves are things that you think drive you crazy. You can list things that you hate as many as you want.

Here are mine's:

1. Having to go to school until I'm 21.
2. Having to go to school during summer.
3. Not being able to go to public school.
4. Having to go to special school.
5. Having very few friends.
6. I just missed out on my teen years.
7. Waking up too late.
8. Having to share my bedroom with my younger brother when my older brother has his own bedroom to himself.
9. My house's basement floods on rainy days.
10. How I have to play some of my video games in the basement.
11. Most of the today's songs.
12. Reality shows.
13. When I get sick after eating on a late night.
14. It's not the 1980's anymore.
15. It's not the 1990's anymore.
16. Salads.
17. Pop up ads.

Subject: Re: What are your pet peeves?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/09/16 at 2:07 pm

I believe there are a lot of pet peeves that I experienced through my life. These would include some pet peeves that I had to deal with in the past.

1. How I have to act in a Jungle Book play, which I didn't enjoy as a 13 year old. (I'm not making this up here, I was 13 and a half when I had to do it)
2. Having to cope with my autism (badly) as a 12/13 year old.
3. Not being able to enjoy Disney as a preteen. (I was so depressed that I can't even enjoy the happiest thing on earth)
4. Having only a few friends back in 8th grade.
5. Having to deal with mild depression in 8th grade.
6. Believing that it's not the 2000s anymore.
7. Believing for the fact that Donald Trump is our Republican nominee, proving on how Americans are really unintelligent.
8. Watching such tragic events happening throughout 2016. (Numerous celebrity deaths, lots of mass shootings, and Brexit)
9. Having to go to Planet Fitness sometimes, because it's boring. (Although I do enjoy it, but it's my least effective pet peeve)
10. Having to get low health on video games, which always pisses me off. (Which is why I love using cheats)
11. Most of today's pop culture.
12. Today's cartoon fanbase (e.g. Mr. Enter)
13. Most fandoms nowadays.
14. Not having anybody to talk to on several forums.
15. How I feel anxious sometimes when I go to bed.
16. How I had to write a school essay on "What Makes America Great", even though I never felt proud of being American.
17. Having to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance every single day in my school.
18. Believing that most people think that it's such a crime to not like America, even though I never HATED the United States.
19. Most of this decade's horror films (except for Sinister, The Conjuring, Annabelle, The Babadook, Curse of Chucky, and Puppet Master X)
20. Most of Nintendo's recent games (especially on the Wii U)
21. Modern YouTube
22. My lolcow days in 2014 and early-mid 2015.
23. Having to deal with such annoying people in my summer camp, especially those who make annoying noises every single day.
24. Seeing most of today's political supporters, which makes me disappoint myself every time they say something. Especially Trump supporters.
25. Most memes nowadays.
26. People like Jacob Sattorius and MattyB

Written By: 80sfan on 07/09/16 at 2:12 pm

My obssessive tendencies. OCD.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/09/16 at 3:28 pm

-The media, sometimes
-Cat nails. I have a fear of being scratched by a cat, or cats, even though it hasn't happened yet.  :(
-Waiting/being patient
-Sloppy work, unless you're just burnt out or something.
-Being derailed in my weight loss journey.
-Gray areas in life

Written By: violet_shy on 07/09/16 at 3:58 pm

I am fairly easy going, so nothing much bothers me. I do have one pet peeve when I am speaking and the person I am speaking to doesn't understand what I say the first three times! And I repeat myself... it bothers me for some reason!

Written By: nally on 07/11/16 at 11:53 pm

I have many.

To start with, seeing people use a cellphone (or even worse, text) while driving! They don't realize that they are putting their own lives at risk, as well as others', by doing this. Yet they don't seem to care that it's against the law.

Or careless drivers in general.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/16 at 3:24 pm

I have many.

To start with, seeing people use a cellphone (or even worse, text) while driving! They don't realize that they are putting their own lives at risk, as well as others', by doing this. Yet they don't seem to care that it's against the law.

I see that too.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/12/16 at 3:24 pm

When people are staring down at their phones while crossing the street. ::)

Written By: nally on 07/14/16 at 6:34 pm

They need to watch where they are going.

Written By: Howard on 07/15/16 at 10:47 am

They need to watch where they are going.

I know, this is the world we're living in these days. ::)

Written By: Katluver on 07/18/16 at 11:41 pm

Don't know where to start (lol!), but I think one of my biggest pet peeves would be people that tailgate.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/16 at 3:25 pm

When people try to get on the bus just as soon as someone needs to get off. ::)

Written By: nally on 07/19/16 at 6:34 pm

Don't know where to start (lol!), but I think one of my biggest pet peeves would be people that tailgate.

Mine too. Especially when they do it to me. As if I'm not going fast enough for them.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/19/16 at 6:39 pm

OMG yes! Well, I don't have this pet peeve, but I can totally understand what you mean.

Written By: 2001 on 07/19/16 at 7:57 pm

They're playing Pokémon GO. :P

I get kind of annoyed when people walk very loud. Like when their steps make huge noises. I know some people can't help it, but I also can't help but be annoyed, especially when the footsteps sound like they're getting closer to me ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/20/16 at 3:15 pm

OMG yes! Well, I don't have this pet peeve, but I can totally understand what you mean.

I wish someone could just say, "Get Off Your Damn Phone". >:(

Written By: tv on 07/30/16 at 3:03 pm

1.)Probably that I have to work till I am at least 65 so I have 27 more years of work at least ahead of me.
2.) People that call out for work and I have to take their spot when they call out for their shift on the upcoming shift. I had to take a guys spot 7 times in 10 months because of call-outs on his part this past year.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/16 at 5:48 pm

1.)Probably that I have to work till I am at least 65 so I have 27 more years of work at least ahead of me.
2.) People that call out for work and I have to take their spot when they call out for their shift on the upcoming shift. I had to take a guys spot 7 times in 10 months because of call-outs on his part this past year.

I don't blame you I have 23 more years. I'm stuck in a dead end job. :(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/31/16 at 8:37 pm

Just rude people, doesn't matter where they are in their cars or in the stores, I just have more than a slight disdain for rude people.  :)

Written By: violet_shy on 08/01/16 at 11:41 am

I don't have many. I don't like repeating myself when I speak it's annoying!

Written By: Howard on 08/01/16 at 3:38 pm

Just rude people, doesn't matter where they are in their cars or in the stores, I just have more than a slight disdain for rude people.  :)

I agree with you. >:(

Written By: Howard on 08/01/16 at 3:40 pm

I don't have many. I don't like repeating myself when I speak it's annoying!

same here, it's like when I talk and people don't listen to a word I say! ::)

Written By: Ripley on 08/01/16 at 3:44 pm

When the cable, internet or phone service messes up. Sometimes weather will make pictures mess up. Sometimes I get a crappy signal on my phone.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/16 at 4:08 pm

When the cable, internet or phone service messes up. Sometimes weather will make pictures mess up. Sometimes I get a crappy signal on my phone.

or the signal just craps out for a moment.

Written By: nally on 08/03/16 at 11:09 am

I don't like repeating myself when I speak it's annoying!

same here, it's like when I talk and people don't listen to a word I say! ::)

I can relate.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/03/16 at 12:36 pm

I wish someone could just say, "Get Off Your Damn Phone". >:(

I never use my phone when I'm walking, or crossing the streets...or when I'm going on the public bus.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/16 at 3:40 pm

I never use my phone when I'm walking, or crossing the streets...or when I'm going on the public bus.

me neither.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/16 at 3:41 pm

When I want to use the toilet and then I see someone else's (you know what) in there and they forget to flush.  ::) 8-P

Written By: Ripley on 08/03/16 at 9:57 pm

When I want to use the toilet and then I see someone else's (you know what) in there and they forget to flush.  ::) 8-P

Or for females anyway, piss dribbles on the toilet.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/03/16 at 10:08 pm

I have tons. but here, members locking their topics.

Ant

Written By: Howard on 08/04/16 at 3:18 pm

Or for females anyway, piss dribbles on the toilet.

or maxi-pads.  ::)

Written By: Ripley on 08/04/16 at 10:35 pm

or maxi-pads.  ::)

Yes. Not rolling them in tp and throwing them away. Rarely are they not in the trash but when they are not covered up it really makes it smell bad in the stall. The same goes for tampons. This is the case anywhere and at home. I don't know if you've been around someone having it but you're just lucky you don't have to use the female bathroom.

Written By: Ripley on 08/04/16 at 10:36 pm

And baby diapers thrown on the floor. Or in a regular trash. They should only be disposed of in a restroom trash.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/05/16 at 12:55 am

I know everyone does this to a certain extent, even me. But when a person thinks too much with their emotions. If they do it 24/7, it's hard to talk to someone like that. They usually don't listen.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/05/16 at 7:51 am

Yes. Not rolling them in tp and throwing them away. Rarely are they not in the trash but when they are not covered up it really makes it smell bad in the stall. The same goes for tampons. This is the case anywhere and at home. I don't know if you've been around someone having it but you're just lucky you don't have to use the female bathroom.

I used to work in maintenance a long time ago so I'd know how a female bathroom would smell like. 8-P

Written By: Howard on 08/05/16 at 7:52 am

And baby diapers thrown on the floor. Or in a regular trash. They should only be disposed of in a restroom trash.

I've seen some in the past where diapers were thrown in our wagons. ::)

Written By: muppethammer26 on 08/18/16 at 10:26 pm

Sorry for not talking much on this site lately, but here are some of the more pet peeves that I have:

1. It's not the 2000's anymore.
2. The neighborhood where I live in doesn't have sidewalks.
3. Forced to walk on the streets due to no sidewalks in my neighborhood.
4. My town feels like it's spread out.
5. Having to wait 2 more years for me and my family to move out.
6. Both of my parents still smoke.
7. Still not being able to drive (even though that will be fixed soon)
8. The fact that too many people today have crazy tattoos and piercings.
9. When other people try to come to the bathroom when I'm using it.
10. Having to pay for DLC in video games.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/16 at 8:05 am

Sorry for not talking much on this site lately, but here are some of the more pet peeves that I have:

1. It's not the 2000's anymore.
2. The neighborhood where I live in doesn't have sidewalks.
3. Forced to walk on the streets due to no sidewalks in my neighborhood.
4. My town feels like it's spread out.
5. Having to wait 2 more years for me and my family to move out.
6. Both of my parents still smoke.
7. Still not being able to drive (even though that will be fixed soon)
8. The fact that too many people today have crazy tattoos and piercings.
9. When other people try to come to the bathroom when I'm using it.
10. Having to pay for DLC in video games.

I definitely agree with you.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/19/16 at 1:58 pm

Just generally people who tell me what to do and how to live my life and tell me who I should and shouldn't be friends with.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/16 at 2:01 pm

Just generally people who tell me what to do and how to live my life and tell me who I should and shouldn't be friends with.

I don't like people who tell me what to do.

Written By: nally on 08/19/16 at 2:06 pm

I don't like people who tell me what to do.

Agreed; especially when I can make my own decisions.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/02/16 at 7:55 am

My pet peeves are not in order, however I decided to list them anyway (since it looks neater).

1. Relationship status quo - (Despite the fact that it should be a "couple", the women are always in charge of every aspect of a relationship. i.e what furniture to buy, making the decisions on behalf of both, finances etc. It annoys me that a fair proportion of men in relationships always agree with anything that the woman decides. I have nothing against women personally, not at all. However, I just don't agree with the status quo in relationships. A couple or marriage is meant to be between two people. One person shouldn't have the majority say).
2. Current Top-40 mainstream music.
3. Celebrities - (I don't understand why people have such an interest in them).
4. Queen/Royal family - (Prince William and Harry seem like genuinely nice people and I appreciate the work that they do for charities and good causes, however I believe it's ridiculous that the general public has such a big interest in them. Who cares if one of them are visiting a country. Why should it warrant extensive news coverage, when there are plenty of other newsworthy stories and events which could be reported on).
5. Smartphones - (I hate how they are taking over people's lives)
6. Bird poo
7. The majority of reality TV shows
8. Some males aged between 17-21 (I hate how tough and "cool" they think are, and that is coming from someone who turns 18 in just over 3 months).
9. P-Plate drivers (basically, 17-18 year old drivers)
10. Kids in Years 7-9 (7th grade-9th grade). The ones at my school are rude and disrespectful.
11. Permanency - (I like the option of being able to change things, whenever I wish).
12. Boy bands
13. Gorillaz
14. Sometimes, other people/general public.
15. Anime
16. People who are disrespectful of others
17. The fact that good, innocent people are the ones that suffer the most.
18. Halloween - (I personally don't see the appeal of it. It never used to be a "big thing" in Australia; it has only become really popular within the past 5 years.)
19. I was born in the last year of the decade I wish I could have experienced.
20. I don't have any siblings.
21. Going to McDonalds and seeing 15-16 year olds preparing the meals and serving customers.
22. Memes
23. How some people can't "live" without their smartphone or accessing social media.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/16 at 2:51 pm

My pet peeves are not in order, however I decided to list them anyway (since it looks neater).

1. Relationship status quo - (Despite the fact that it should be a "couple", the women are always in charge of every aspect of a relationship. i.e what furniture to buy, making the decisions on behalf of both, finances etc. It annoys me that a fair proportion of men in relationships always agree with anything that the woman decides. I have nothing against women personally, not at all. However, I just don't agree with the status quo in relationships. A couple or marriage is meant to be between two people. One person shouldn't have the majority say).
4. Queen/Royal family - (Prince William and Harry seem like genuinely nice people and I appreciate the work that they do for charities and good causes, however I believe it's ridiculous that the general public has such a big interest in them. Who cares if one of them are visiting a country. Why should it warrant extensive news coverage, when there are plenty of other newsworthy stories and events which could be reported on).
6. Bird poo
8. Some males aged between 17-21 (I hate how tough and "cool" they think are, and that is coming from someone who turns 18 in just over 3 months).
10. Kids in Years 7-9 (7th grade-9th grade). The ones at my school are rude and disrespectful.
11. Permanency - (I like the option of being able to change things, whenever I wish).
12. Boy bands
13. Gorillaz
15. Anime
18. Halloween - (I personally don't see the appeal of it. It never used to be a "big thing" in Australia; it has only become really popular within the past 5 years.)
21. Going to McDonalds and seeing 15-16 year olds preparing the meals and serving customers.
22. Memes
23. How some people can't "live" without their smartphone or accessing social media.

I definitely agree with most of your list.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/03/16 at 11:38 am

6. Bird poo
12. Boy bands
13. Gorillaz
15. Anime
22. Memes

Everything else makes sense, but why this one?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/03/16 at 11:58 am

6. Bird poo
12. Boy bands
13. Gorillaz
15. Anime
22. Memes

I have to ask why to that one too?

Written By: Howard on 12/03/16 at 5:33 pm

When I'm on line wanting to purchase something and the person in front of me takes a long time in figuring out what he/she wants. ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/03/16 at 6:11 pm

6. Bird poo
12. Boy bands
13. Gorillaz
15. Anime
22. Memes

https://media.giphy.com/media/ULXuEJ0miW0wM/giphy.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 12/03/16 at 10:54 pm

I have to ask why to that one too?

Probably because they prepare the food not as good as someone older?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/03/16 at 11:51 pm

Everything else makes sense, but why this one?

I just don't like the thought of 15-16 year olds serving customers and preparing/organising the meals. It puts me off from going to McDonalds, to be honest. They don't care about the food that they are serving to the customers. Not only that, but I go to school with them as well. I like the thought of people over the age of 18 serving customers and preparing meals, because I would be able to trust them more with my order.

Written By: nally on 12/04/16 at 6:50 am

I just don't like the thought of 15-16 year olds serving customers and preparing/organising the meals. It puts me off from going to McDonalds, to be honest. They don't care about the food that they are serving to the customers. Not only that, but I go to school with them as well. I like the thought of people over the age of 18 serving customers and preparing meals, because I would be able to trust them more with my order.

I agree. Btw, when I was that age, I was glad to not work in a fast food joint (something that never interested me).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/04/16 at 9:49 am

I think it only happens towards the summer or after school in the U.S., since those employees have to go to high school. But if I see them as 15/16 year olds, I wouldn't really care that much. Sure, they're more rebellious, but that's their manager's job to see if they're legible enough to stay.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/16 at 3:10 pm

Sometimes companies need to hire younger people in order for them to learn the ropes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/16 at 5:46 pm

Sometimes companies need to hire younger people in order for them to learn the ropes.
For the experience of being at work.

Written By: Howard on 12/05/16 at 3:18 pm

For the experience of being at work.

and for the experience to be put on their resume.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/16 at 7:43 am

When I'm about to cross the street and there's some truck/s blocking my view because I can't see whether there's cars coming or going when I'm crossing the crosswalk.  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/16 at 7:51 am

When I'm about to cross the street and there's some truck/s blocking my view because I can't see whether there's cars coming or going when I'm crossing the crosswalk.  >:(
...then you walk down the pavement/sidewalk to till there is a clearer view.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/16 at 8:16 am

...then you walk down the pavement/sidewalk to till there is a clearer view.

that's what I do.

Written By: 2001 on 12/12/16 at 9:02 pm

Litter!! Take care of your neighbourhoods for goodness sake, and don't litter in other people's.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 12/13/16 at 7:54 am

Litter!! Take care of your neighbourhoods for goodness sake, and don't litter in other people's.  >:(

people should start picking up after themselves. ::)

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/04/17 at 1:36 am

1. People who think that they're "too good" for blue-collar work, and fear being working class (you're not).
2. Irritable or easily angered people
3. People who go by "feelings" and "emotions" rather than knowledge and common sense.
4. People who disrespect the cultures of other races, regions, and socioeconomic statuses. (Blacks who dislike Latinos, southerners who dislike northerners, rich people who dislike poor people)
5. Staunch liberals
6. Staunch conservatives
7. Staunch Democrats
8. Staunch Republicans
9. People who can't handle actual weather -- All 4 seasons (hot summers, cold winters, crispy falls, damp springs)
10. Individuals who wallow in their self-induced misery.
11. Extremely sensitive people
12. People who are offended by those who find their inner voices (e.g. a lot of people on this website vs me)
13. Animal abusers
14. Political correctness
15. People who prioritize community rights over individual rights
16. Those who litter, trash, or disrespect mother earth
17. Throwing away anything plastic in the trash (which I myself do, ugh... I have no choice—no one is willing to accept all forms of plastic so we can recycle them.)
18. Pessimists
19. People who are overly pretentious about the music that they listen to and the shows and movies that they watch and the clothes that they wear.
20. Vegans

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/17 at 3:48 am

1. People who think that they're "too good" for blue-collar work, and fear being working class (you're not).
3. People who go by "feelings" and "emotions" rather than knowledge and common sense.
4. People who disrespect the cultures of other races, regions, and socioeconomic statuses. (Blacks who dislike Latinos, southerners who dislike northerners, rich people who dislike poor people)
5. Staunch liberals
6. Staunch conservatives
7. Staunch Democrats
8. Staunch Republicans
9. People who can't handle actual weather -- All 4 seasons (hot summers, cold winters, crispy falls, damp springs)
12. People who are offended by those who find their inner voices (e.g. a lot of people on this website vs me)
13. Animal abusers
17. Throwing away anything plastic in the trash (which I myself do, ugh... I have no choice—no one is willing to accept all forms of plastic so we can recycle them.)
18. Pessimists
19. People who are overly pretentious about the music that they listen to and the shows and movies that they watch and the clothes that they wear.
20. Vegans

Great list.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/17 at 3:48 am

1. Mental health issues.  >:(
2. Healing from mental health issues.  >:(  >:(

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/04/17 at 11:52 am

1. Overpious people
2. Repobates
3. Rich people with big egos that don't thank anyone, especially God, for what they have
4. Oscar winners after winning an Oscar
5. Emmy winners after winning an Emmy
6. Grammy winners after winning a Grammy
7. Sore loser
8. Bossy or hands-on bosses
9. Lawyers who try to avoid taking your case.
10. Robophone calls (which I am sure I have on another post)

Written By: Howard on 01/04/17 at 3:53 pm

5. Staunch liberals
6. Staunch conservatives
7. Staunch Democrats
8. Staunch Republicans
13. Animal abusers
18. Pessimists
20. Vegans

I agree with 16.

Written By: 2001 on 01/04/17 at 8:55 pm

When a store's opening/closing times aren't available online.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 01/05/17 at 2:59 pm

When a store's opening/closing times aren't available online.  >:(

Have you checked someplace else on-line?

Written By: 2001 on 01/05/17 at 6:52 pm

Have you checked someplace else on-line?

I checked Yelp and Google Maps. I snapped the times for the barber shop anyway and put it online.

Written By: nally on 01/07/17 at 12:20 pm

people should start picking up after themselves. ::)

Agreed on both counts. I HIW people are too lazy to walk to the wastebaskets to properly dispose of their trash. 8-P

Written By: nally on 01/07/17 at 12:21 pm

10. Robophone calls (which I am sure I have on another post)

Yep...those are a pain in the youknowwhat.  I don't see any useful need for them; all they do is harass people.

Written By: nally on 01/07/17 at 12:21 pm

Another one to add to my list:

People who think they're above the law.

Written By: Howard on 01/07/17 at 1:15 pm

Agreed on both counts. I HIW people are too lazy to walk to the wastebaskets to properly dispose of their trash. 8-P

I know, I agree with you.  >:(

Written By: nally on 01/08/17 at 10:55 am

I know, I agree with you.  >:(

Yeah...it's not hard to walk a few steps over there and back. Sometimes I have to go a long way to find one, but it's totally worth the time.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/11/17 at 4:57 pm

People who cough without covering their mouths. It's absolutely disgusting. I'm on a boat at the moment, and the amount of people who have been coughing without covering their mouth is beyond a joke.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/17 at 7:04 pm

People who cough without covering their mouths. It's absolutely disgusting. I'm on a boat at the moment, and the amount of people who have been coughing without covering their mouth is beyond a joke.
People just do not realise how diseases can spread so easily!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/17 at 7:16 pm

Mandatory face masks?

Written By: Howard on 01/12/17 at 4:00 pm

I see that everywhere.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/17 at 6:01 pm

I see that everywhere.
Japan is very conscious of the matter and face masks are worn all the time.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/13/17 at 7:31 am

Overemotional, irrational, people. It's one thing to be overemotional if you're having your foot cut off, it's another to be irrational when you know things will be okay, or fine, sooner, or later. I just can't stand too much, "Oh My God!! Are you okay?? Holy crap!!!"

Written By: Howard on 01/13/17 at 7:39 am

Japan is very conscious of the matter and face masks are worn all the time.

I see some people doing that.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/24/17 at 4:46 pm

When people doubt my ethnic heritage after I tell them that I'm half Mexican.

Written By: nally on 01/27/17 at 9:11 pm

Filled parking lots!

I HIW I'm trying to find a place to park, and every single space is taken! I am certainly not going to park illegally; I'd rather park far away and walk.

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/29/17 at 12:46 am

When people doubt my ethnic heritage after I tell them that I'm half Mexican.

Being part Korean, everyone just assumes I am Chinese or Japanese. They isn't a known slur for Koreans, so my childhood was ruined by racist kids who love to shout "chink" or "Jap". I don't think it's all the parents' fault, although there are some parents who coach these kids, using Pearl Harbor as an excuse to justify. I feel more sorrow than anger towards these children who don't know any better. I hope people will like you for what you are, and not deny nor hate you because of your ethnicity.

Written By: nally on 10/26/18 at 11:55 am

Mispronunciations... especially of ethnic names, and hearing them on TV! This especially applies to names of certain sports figures when I watch ballgames. The announcers will mispronounce a name so horribly that it makes you wanna scream, 'How did this announcer ever get hired?!'

Written By: annimal on 10/26/18 at 1:01 pm

dog collars that look better then Halloween costumes for people

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/26/18 at 1:22 pm

Mispronunciations... especially of ethnic names, and hearing them on TV! This especially applies to names of certain sports figures when I watch ballgames. The announcers will mispronounce a name so horribly that it makes you wanna scream, 'How did this announcer ever get hired?!'

The one that bugs me is when people pronounce the word "athlete" as "ath-a-lete". I don't know what compels them to add this extra syllable. A few years ago there was even a commercial on TV for Duracell batteries and a booming voiced announcer, in a voiceover,  intoned something like "Duracell batteries work like a precision ath-a-lete...".  Now obviously the people working at the ad agency that Duracell paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to for this commercial must KNOW that "athlete" isn't pronounced "ath-a-lete". So my suspicion is they were purposely "dumbing it down" to sound colloquial or something.  But it doesn't sound colloquial, it just sounds wrong.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/18 at 2:06 pm

The one that bugs me is when people pronounce the word "athlete" as "ath-a-lete". I don't know what compels them to add this extra syllable. A few years ago there was even a commercial on TV for Duracell batteries and a booming voiced announcer, in a voiceover,  intoned something like "Duracell batteries work like a precision ath-a-lete...".  Now obviously the people working at the ad agency that Duracell paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to for this commercial must KNOW that "athlete" isn't pronounced "ath-a-lete". So my suspicion is they were purposely "dumbing it down" to sound colloquial or something.  But it doesn't sound colloquial, it just sounds wrong.

Around here, I hate the way they pronounce "elementary."  It is pronounced "el-a-men-tree" but they pronounce it "el-a-men-tarry." They also pronounce "documentary" the same way "doc-u-men-tarry" instead of "doc-u-men-tree."

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/26/18 at 2:30 pm

Around here, I hate the way they pronounce "elementary."  It is pronounced "el-a-men-tree" but they pronounce it "el-a-men-tarry." They also pronounce "documentary" the same way "doc-u-men-tarry" instead of "doc-u-men-tree."

Cat

And many people mispronounce "library" as "lie-berry".  Sounds like a flavor of frozen yogurt!

Written By: Howard on 10/26/18 at 3:41 pm

very crowded supermarkets.

Written By: 2001 on 10/26/18 at 6:12 pm

very crowded supermarkets.

Crowded places in general tbh. That's why I do my groceries at 7AM ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/18 at 6:46 pm

I don't do well in crowds. Whenever we are in crowds, I hold on to Carlos' hand REALLY tight. I don't want to lose him. Though, the last time we were in a crowd, it was my sister who held my hand. I tried to hold on to Carlos but Sis was walking SOOOOO fast, it was hard for the two of us to keep up.

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/27/18 at 1:15 am

Yeah, I agree about various words, not just names, being mispronounced. Inserting an extra syllable, transposing letters, or just flat out eliding.

Written By: Elor on 10/27/18 at 1:36 am

Yeah, I agree about various words, not just names, being mispronounced. Inserting an extra syllable, transposing letters, or just flat out eliding.
This is also what drives me nuts as a non native speaker. It confuses the hell out of me and makes me wonder whether I mispronounced words for years.https://www.smiliesuche.de/smileys/kopf-gegen-wand/banghead.gif

Written By: nally on 10/27/18 at 11:45 am

This is also what drives me nuts as a non native speaker. It confuses the hell out of me and makes me wonder whether I mispronounced words for years.https://www.smiliesuche.de/smileys/kopf-gegen-wand/banghead.gif

A biggest one of mine is "nucular". Where the (blank) does one get nucULar out of nucLEar?

Or "intregal" (moving the 'r' from the sixth position to the fourth). Or "heighth" (inserting an 'h' at the end where there is none). My guess is that because the word refers to dimension, like length and width, they think the word height should also have an 'h' at the end. ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/27/18 at 11:53 am

A biggest one of mine is "nucular". Where the (blank) does one get nucULar out of nucLEar?

Or "intregal" (moving the 'r' from the sixth position to the fourth). Or "heighth" (inserting an 'h' at the end where there is none). My guess is that because the word refers to dimension, like length and width, they think the word height should also have an 'h' at the end. ::)

One that bugs me is when people say "that's a whole nother thing". There is no such word as "nother". It seems to be a bizarre fusion of "that's another thing" and "that's a whole other thing".

Written By: 2001 on 10/27/18 at 11:55 am

You guys are forgetting the granddaddy of ear-bleeding mispronunciations: pronouncing "niche" like "nitch" 😱

Written By: nally on 10/27/18 at 12:06 pm

One that bugs me is when people say "that's a whole nother thing". There is no such word as "nother". It seems to be a bizarre fusion of "that's another thing" and "that's a whole other thing".

Yeah, or "a whole nother (insert_noun_here)" in general. Why not just say "another whole (whatever)"?

Written By: nally on 10/27/18 at 12:09 pm

You guys are forgetting the granddaddy of ear-bleeding mispronunciations: pronouncing "niche" like "nitch"

And here I thought "mischevious" was the granddaddy. The word is spelled "mischeivous", therefore it is pronounced "Miss-chi-vuss" (three syllables, not four).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/27/18 at 12:19 pm

And here I thought "mischevious" was the granddaddy. The word is spelled "mischeivous", therefore it is pronounced "Miss-chi-vuss" (three syllables, not four).

Another one that bothers me, though this is really idiosyncratic on my part, is people making two syllable words out of one syllable words. "Stool" becomes "stoo-well", "school" becomes "schoo-well". And the one that bugs me most of all is the word "tour", like when a band goes on tour. The correct pronunciation is "tor". ONE syllable. PERIOD. But practically everybody, including bands on tour, says "too-wer". Everybody! I'm like a voice crying in the wilderness with that one.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/18 at 12:43 pm

This one is rampant in Massachusetts-but I have heard it in other parts of New England, too.  When you have a positive response to a negative statement. "I don't like ____." Instead of saying, "I don't like him/her/it/them, either," they will say, "So don't I." Whether it is grammatically correct or not, it just sounds so uneducated to me. Even when I was living in Massachusetts at the age of 9 or 10, this sounded so wrong to me.   

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/27/18 at 3:55 pm

People who spell the word "probably" as "prolly". This obviously means they say it that way also.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/18 at 4:09 pm

Exactly, it's best to do your shopping of whatever and do it in the early morning hours (probably after they've opened up) and to get it out of the way.

Written By: 2001 on 10/27/18 at 4:25 pm

Exactly, it's best to do your shopping of whatever and do it in the early morning hours (probably after they've opened up) and to get it out of the way.

I went to What A Bagel at 10AM today (Saturday) and it was one of the worst decisions in recent memory. The line was almost out the door and there were no free seats, and since it was my first time there, I had no idea what to pick up/order and did everything wrong. The reviews for the place said the staff are rude which did not help my anxiety, I was way too shy to ask anyone for help.  :-[

Written By: nally on 10/27/18 at 6:36 pm

People who spell the word "probably" as "prolly". This obviously means they say it that way also.

I've heard that too. It's another elision.

Written By: nally on 10/27/18 at 6:37 pm

Yep, do it as early as possible. Sometimes that's not easy for me because I either (1) don't get up that early or (2) have to get ready for work that early.

Written By: piecesof93 on 10/27/18 at 7:34 pm

I get really really annoyed when people ask me "what are you doing" in an investigative tone multiple times and every time they see me. Especially, if they already know what I'm "doing." That really grinds my gears.

Written By: Howard on 10/28/18 at 2:27 pm

I went to What A Bagel at 10AM today (Saturday) and it was one of the worst decisions in recent memory. The line was almost out the door and there were no free seats, and since it was my first time there, I had no idea what to pick up/order and did everything wrong. The reviews for the place said the staff are rude which did not help my anxiety, I was way too shy to ask anyone for help.  :-[

How come you didn't go early in the morning? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/28/18 at 2:30 pm

When people throw out garbage, tie it up in small garbage bags but you don't know what's inside them cause you don't know whether it's regular garbage OR it might be cans/bottles, then they dispose it in the middle of the parking lot.  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 10/28/18 at 4:49 pm

How come you didn't go early in the morning? ???

I was too engrossed in my work (srs) ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/18 at 11:39 am

I get really really annoyed when people ask me "what are you doing" in an investigative tone multiple times and every time they see me. Especially, if they already know what I'm "doing." That really grinds my gears.
Come to think of it, what are the other people doing when they ask you "what are you doing"?

Written By: Howard on 10/31/18 at 2:56 pm

When people ask such dumb questions. ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/18 at 12:56 pm

One of my MAJOR pet peeves is when people use the phrase "drinking the Kool-Aid." That term stemmed from the Jonestown massacre and is so wrong on many fronts. First of all, it wasn't Kool-Aid but Flavor-Aid. Also, they did NOT drink willingly. They were forced to-and many of those had hypodermic needles stuck in them.

Please DO NOT USE that phrase. It really dishonors all of those people who were MURDERED!!!

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/19/18 at 1:50 pm

One of my MAJOR pet peeves is when people use the phrase "drinking the Kool-Aid." That term stemmed from the Jonestown massacre and is so wrong on many fronts. First of all, it wasn't Kool-Aid but Flavor-Aid. Also, they did NOT drink willingly. They were forced to-and many of those had hypodermic needles stuck in them.

Please DO NOT USE that phrase. It really dishonors all of those people who were MURDERED!!!

Cat

I'm wondering if you watched the same Sundance documentary I watched the past two nights, commemorating the 40th anniversary of the horrific Jonestown massacre of November 8, 1978.  I remember hearing the news like it was yesterday. Actually I saw it on a newspaper headline which was the major way many of us first heard news back then. I know how primitive that now sounds, bu that's the way it was. It occurred to me in recent years that two generations have now grown up using the "drink the Kool Aid" phrase without knowing (or caring) of it's origin. A few years back I worked at a job with a bunch of people in their 20s who used that phrase quite a bit to describe the people who "toed the company line", so to speak. I would ask them if they knew the origin of the phrase and mostly they didn't. Or they vaguely knew "didn't it have something to do with  a cult years ago?" and not much more.

On a less heavy note, another misuse that bothers me for the same reason (the lack of historical context) is people who say "it's like deja vu all over again".  We all know that feeling of "deja vu" when we could swear what is happening to us has happened exactly like it before, as if in some other dimension. And that's ALL you need to say, "I had a feeling of deja vu". The redundantly mangled "deja vu all over again" is attributed to famed baseball player Babe Ruth, who was known for mangling phrases like that. In ensuing years clever writers used it, assuming the reader would get the Babe Ruth reference. Well, readers didn't get it, and the incorrect phrase "deja vu all over again" came to overtake the correct "deja vu" and basically become the norm (I even hear newscasters use it!), and an entire generation grew up not knowing that it isn't correct.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/18 at 2:22 pm

I'm wondering if you watched the same Sundance documentary I watched the past two nights, commemorating the 40th anniversary of the horrific Jonestown massacre of November 8, 1978.  I remember hearing the news like it was yesterday. Actually I saw it on a newspaper headline which was the major way many of us first heard news back then. I know how primitive that now sounds, bu that's the way it was. It occurred to me in recent years that two generations have now grown up using the "drink the Kool Aid" phrase without knowing (or caring) of it's origin. A few years back I worked at a job with a bunch of people in their 20s who used that phrase quite a bit to describe the people who "toed the company line", so to speak. I would ask them if they knew the origin of the phrase and mostly they didn't. Or they vaguely knew "didn't it have something to do with  a cult years ago?" and not much more.

I didn't watch the special but I have seen specials on it over the years. It is one of those subjects that I don't want to watch but I do want to watch. Does that make sense? It is just so sad and it also makes me angry, too.

How I heard about it was in my 10th grade history class-well, it was the period before history-lunch. Whenever we had a reading assignment, we ALWAYS had a quiz about it-10 questions with the last question was ALWAYS current events (and we got one question as a freebee and could cross it off-AFTER we went through the answers). At lunch, I ate with a friend who had that teacher the period before and I would ask her what the question was because in those days, I didn't follow the news. She told me the question was Jonestown. I made the comment that I didn't hear about it. She looked surprised that I didn't because it was all over the place.

On a less heavy note, another misuse that bothers me for the same reason (the lack of historical context) is people who say "it's like deja vu all over again".  We all know that feeling of "deja vu" when we could swear what is happening to us has happened exactly like it before, as if in some other dimension. And that's ALL you need to say, "I had a feeling of deja vu". The redundantly mangled "deja vu all over again" is attributed to famed baseball player Babe Ruth, who was known for mangling phrases like that. In ensuing years clever writers used it, assuming the reader would get the Babe Ruth reference. Well, readers didn't get it, and the incorrect phrase "deja vu all over again" came to overtake the correct "deja vu" and basically become the norm (I even hear newscasters use it!), and an entire generation grew up not knowing that it isn't correct.

"Deja vu all over again" was Yogi Berra not Babe Ruth. Here are a bunch more of Yogisms.  ;D
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/09/23/yogi-berra-quotes-isms/72669094/

I like "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."  ;D :D :D

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/19/18 at 3:17 pm

"Deja vu all over again" was Yogi Berra not Babe Ruth. Here are a bunch more of Yogisms.  ;D
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/09/23/yogi-berra-quotes-isms/72669094/

I like "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."  ;D :D :D

Cat

I like "the future ain't what it used to be".  Ain't it the truth!  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 11/19/18 at 4:57 pm

Cat

That's really interesting, I didn't know that before. I always thought it was a euphemism for taking some mentally debilitating drug. :o

Written By: Howard on 11/20/18 at 7:28 am

When I'm on the bus reading my newspaper and someone is talking loudly on their phone either front of me or it's in the back of me.

Written By: annimal on 11/20/18 at 5:58 pm

I'd try not reading the newspaper

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/18 at 9:15 am

When I'm on the bus reading my newspaper and someone is talking loudly on their phone either front of me or it's in the back of me.
I gave up reading on public transport a long time ago, with the constant announcements and general chatter putting me off. Normally it is crosswords or sudoko for me.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/18 at 2:22 pm

I gave up reading on public transport a long time ago, with the constant announcements and general chatter putting me off. Normally it is crosswords or sudoko for me.

I read the newspaper to keep myself busy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/18 at 2:41 pm

I read the newspaper to keep myself busy.
I get my news fix at home or online.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/25/18 at 3:47 pm

When someone leaves the light on and they aren't in the room.  ::)

Written By: nally on 11/25/18 at 4:03 pm

Agreed, because it wastes electricity.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/25/18 at 4:16 pm

There are times when I will do that purposely. I'm sure most people here know that I am legally blind and I NEED light. Right now, even though it is fairly early, it is dark. The upstairs bathroom is now on so I can see my way to it, and the downstairs living room light is on so when we go downstairs, it is not totally dark. Yes, we do have night-lights all over the house but sometimes that is just not enough. Yeah, it does use electricity but sometimes safety overrides that.

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/25/18 at 4:22 pm

Come to think of it, sometimes I turn on a light in another room if there is none available in the desired room.

Written By: Howard on 11/26/18 at 5:28 am

and I just turn it off if no one is in the room.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/26/18 at 6:54 am

There are times when I will do that purposely. I'm sure most people here know that I am legally blind and I NEED light. Right now, even though it is fairly early, it is dark. The upstairs bathroom is now on so I can see my way to it, and the downstairs living room light is on so when we go downstairs, it is not totally dark. Yes, we do have night-lights all over the house but sometimes that is just not enough. Yeah, it does use electricity but sometimes safety overrides that.

Cat

Come to think of it, sometimes I turn on a light in another room if there is none available in the desired room.

Yes but it's not the same.  ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/26/18 at 1:41 pm

I can't stand the 20 or 15 years ago threads. Why are they a thing? Does it even matter? They don't even feel like legit threads. They just feel like spam.

Written By: 2001 on 11/26/18 at 7:30 pm

I can't stand the 20 or 15 years ago threads. Why are they a thing? Does it even matter? They don't even feel like legit threads. They just feel like spam.

Every now and then interesting things get posted in them. In terms of discussion though there is definitely not much of it going on.  :-\\

Written By: violet_shy on 11/26/18 at 7:47 pm

When I'm at the cinema and a movie begins, and everyone starts cheering about it...sheesh.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/18 at 7:44 am

When I'm at the cinema and a movie begins, and everyone starts cheering about it...sheesh.

or when someone starts chatting on their phone in the theater. ::)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/27/18 at 8:58 am

One of my pet peeves is this trend that has been going on for some time now of all white lights for Christmas. It used to be that Christmas was awash in warm colored lights of red, green, blue, orange AND white, which gave everything a warm, inviting, magical festive glow.  Why did that go away in favor of the harsh glare of white and clear lights? It doesn't look festive at all, yet a large part of the population seem to prefer it now. I don't get it.  You can see these same white lights all year round if you go to any restaurant that has an outdoor patio, so there is nothing really special about them at all. Like I said, they just look harsh. Bring back colored lights!

Written By: Howard on 11/27/18 at 1:36 pm

When I had to wait for the bus coming home for a half hour in the pouring rain! ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/01/18 at 11:59 am

People confusing "than" with "then". It frosts my buns when someone post something like "I'm a better person then I was than" or "I like better then ". It shouldn't be so hard if a simpleton like me can figure it out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/18 at 8:51 am

When I had to wait for the bus coming home for a half hour in the pouring rain! ::)
Always take an umbrella with you!

Written By: Howard on 12/02/18 at 2:19 pm

Always take an umbrella with you!

I always do.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/18 at 2:21 pm

I always do.
No bus shelter provided?

Written By: Howard on 12/02/18 at 2:43 pm

No bus shelter provided?

Yes, there was bus shelter.

Written By: nally on 04/29/19 at 10:51 am

People confusing "than" with "then". It frosts my buns when someone post something like "I'm a better person then I was than" or "I like better then ". It shouldn't be so hard if a simpleton like me can figure it out.

As well as other similar-sounding words. I agree.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/30/19 at 9:36 am

As well as other similar-sounding words. I agree.

Like there, they'r and their

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/19 at 10:53 am

Even, 'your and you're ?

Written By: nally on 05/12/19 at 9:39 pm

Even, 'your and you're ?

Quite likely so. One is a contraction (meaning "you are") and the other is not. That should be a hint-hint as to which one goes in which case. But there are several individuals out there who don't realize that.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/12/19 at 11:21 pm

Quite likely so. One is a contraction (meaning "you are") and the other is not. That should be a hint-hint as to which one goes in which case. But there are several individuals out there who don't realize that.

And then there are people who use contractions (of a sort) that don't exist, like the annoying "nother". They say "that's a whole nother thing". There is no such word as "nother". It's a bastardization of "that's another thing" and  "that's a whole other thing".

Written By: 80sfan on 05/13/19 at 2:00 am

And dare.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/19 at 5:44 am

When people start pushing others on a crowded bus.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/19 at 3:18 pm

When people start pushing others on a crowded bus.
If I sense it will be a busy bus, I do not get on it.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/13/19 at 3:44 pm

When I hear old music playing on the radio...I mean, play something current!! Stay with the times! Annoys me so much lol!

It's ok to play old music at home or on a playlist. But if it's still on the radio then something is wrong.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/14/19 at 9:46 am

If I sense it will be a busy bus, I do not get on it.

I have no choice I need a bus and just can't for another one to arrive.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/19 at 9:48 am

When I hear old music playing on the radio...I mean, play something current!! Stay with the times! Annoys me so much lol!

It's ok to play old music at home or on a playlist. But if it's still on the radio then something is wrong.  ::)

Or when I hear stupid music blasting from someone's speakers quite loud that the ground shakes.  ::)

Written By: violet_shy on 05/14/19 at 9:52 am

Or when I hear stupid music blasting from someone's speakers quite loud that the ground shakes.  ::)

There isn't a sound more annoying than a slamming door.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/14/19 at 9:59 am

Oh yest there is. That loud beeping sound a truck and other large vehicles make when they are moving backwards. Vacuum cleaners are a close second.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/19 at 10:09 am

I know what you mean! ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/19 at 10:18 am

I know what you mean! ::)
Especially early in the morning!

Written By: 2001 on 05/14/19 at 12:45 pm

Oh yest there is. That loud beeping sound a truck and other large vehicles make when they are moving backwards. Vacuum cleaners are a close second.

You're forgetting blenders and jet engines x_x

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/19 at 12:47 pm

...and drills used by workmen in the roads?

Written By: 2001 on 05/14/19 at 12:49 pm

...and drills used by workmen in the roads?

I was about to edit in chainsaws

The real annoying noise though is those people who roar their car engines to show off their cars.  ::) The effort is wasted on me since I know nothing about cars.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/19 at 12:50 pm

I was about to edit in chainsaws
I do not get many chainsaws round my way.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/14/19 at 12:58 pm

Blenders aren't that big a deal to me since they're generally only on for a few seconds at a time and are actually quite rhythmic (or at least whirring) sounding.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/19 at 1:02 pm

Blenders aren't that big a deal to me since they're generally only on for a few seconds at a time and are actually quite rhythmic (or at least whirring) sounding.
Helicopters buzzing above annoy me.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/19 at 2:31 pm

or repeating car alarms.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/19 at 3:20 pm

or repeating car alarms.
Or the passing loud motorbikes that set the car alarms off?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/14/19 at 4:17 pm

For me it is lawnmowers.

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/14/19 at 5:44 pm

Especially when it sounds obnoxious(ly loud).

Written By: violet_shy on 05/14/19 at 6:03 pm

During the Summer months, mostly. They are way too loud. ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/15/19 at 3:38 pm

That's one problem!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/19 at 3:41 pm

That's one problem!
Not just one problem, it happens all the time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/19 at 11:42 am

Just two words:

secondhand smoke

Written By: annimal on 05/16/19 at 11:50 am

wabbits

Written By: Howard on 05/16/19 at 3:46 pm

Just two words:

secondhand smoke

I'm around it all the time.

Written By: nally on 05/16/19 at 5:56 pm

Just two words:

secondhand smoke

Agreed.

Written By: annimal on 05/16/19 at 7:07 pm

gag gag

Written By: violet_shy on 06/11/19 at 2:54 pm

People pushing and shoving in a long line.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 3:38 am

Especially when you have a bad back!

Written By: Howard on 06/12/19 at 2:56 pm

I know the feeling especially when you're on a crowded bus!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 3:05 pm

The precise reason I always try and avoid the rush hour, or at least against it.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/19 at 3:19 pm

The precise reason I always try and avoid the rush hour, or at least against it.

take a bus when it's less crowded and you can get a seat.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 3:35 pm

take a bus when it's less crowded and you can get a seat.
If I can, I plan my journey at the start of the bus route, an almost guaranteed seat for me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/19 at 4:29 pm

People who b!tch & complain about their lives or situations but don't do anything to change it. They even are given advice that they had asked for to remedy the situation but yet, STILL don't do anything to change it. I guess they only like to complain about it.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 06/12/19 at 4:39 pm

...a crowded MOVING bus! Ugh! I juat can't! Lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 10:34 pm

...a crowded MOVING bus! Ugh! I juat can't! Lol.
I just let it pass by.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/12/19 at 10:39 pm

I just let it pass by.

Yes but, once you are inside the moving bus people still push and shove each other.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 10:41 pm

Yes but, once you are inside the moving bus people still push and shove each other.
...and even push on your legs even when sitting down.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/19 at 5:46 am

I just let it pass by.

I don't really let it pass by unless there's another bus right behind it less crowded.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/19 at 5:48 am

They start to cuss you out and call you names too, I know the feeling taking public transportation for over 30 years now, some people have hardly any respect for anyone, everybody thinks they're in a hurry!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/19 at 5:58 am

I don't really let it pass by unless there's another bus right behind it less crowded.
...start walking for good exercise.

Written By: nally on 06/26/19 at 12:09 am

I am going to elaborate a little bit on this years-old post of mine:

I have many.

Drivers who don't have good driving etiquette also are on my "Pet Peeves" list. This includes drivers who change lanes without signaling, speeding, weaving... and blindly leaving their turn signals on.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/26/19 at 8:29 am

I am going to elaborate a little bit on this years-old post of mine:

Drivers who don't have good driving etiquette also are on my "Pet Peeves" list. This includes drivers who change lanes without signaling, speeding, weaving... and blindly leaving their turn signals on.

I totally agree

Written By: 2001 on 06/26/19 at 1:55 pm

I always thought "pet peeves" referred to things you personally find annoying which others might not notice or care about. Bad driving or cutting in line is universally rude and and surely not a "pet" peeve, right? :P

Like for me, loud footsteps that are approaching me tick me off, but I'm sure a normal person wouldn't care ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/26/19 at 3:14 pm

When a bus driver has to use the bathroom and then you have a load of customers just waiting in the heat to go home or do whatever they need to do and this was close to 2pm.  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 06/26/19 at 4:05 pm

When a bus driver has to use the bathroom and then you have a load of customers just waiting in the heat to go home or do whatever they need to do and this was close to 2pm.  ::)

Lol I've had bus drivers stop to get coffee x_x

To be fair, it is better they go pee than be distracted or worse.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/19 at 3:13 pm

Lol I've had bus drivers stop to get coffee x_x

To be fair, it is better they go pee than be distracted or worse.

They could've at least done it on their break, You have a bunch of passengers waiting to get on the damn bus and we are all waiting in the heat.  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/27/19 at 3:33 pm

They could've at least done it on their break, You have a bunch of passengers waiting to get on the damn bus and we are all waiting in the heat.  ::)

Maybe they did go on their break but had to go again. When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/30/19 at 2:38 pm

You ever take public transportation and then you see these bums that wear an overcoat, sport messed up hair and start talking incoherently? I couldn't wait to get the hell off that bus and get onto another.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/30/19 at 2:48 pm

You ever take public transportation and then you see these bums that wear an overcoat, sport messed up hair and start talking incoherently? I couldn't wait to get the hell off that bus and get onto another.

Sounds like everybody I know.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/30/19 at 2:52 pm

Sounds like everybody I know.  ;D

You ever bump into those kind of people?

Written By: 2001 on 06/30/19 at 3:00 pm

An overcoat in the summer? :o

Written By: Howard on 07/01/19 at 5:35 am

An overcoat in the summer? :o

Why the hell should I care, He acted and looked like an utter moron and plus he was carrying around a broken suitcase.

Written By: 2001 on 07/01/19 at 8:06 am

Why the hell should I care, He acted and looked like an utter moron and plus he was carrying around a broken suitcase.

Sounds like the Goosebumps theme song.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/19 at 5:36 am

When public transportation arrives 45 minutes late!  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/19 at 5:49 am

When public transportation arrives 45 minutes late!  ::)

At this point I'm more pissed off when the bus comes on time because I bank on it being 5-10 minutes late ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/19 at 6:07 am

At this point I'm more pissed off when the bus comes on time because I bank on it being 5-10 minutes late ;D
Almost similar to you see your usual bus when you do not need it!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/22/20 at 1:27 pm

I hate it when I need a paper clip and so many of the clips in the box have somehow interlocked themselves into a chain.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/20 at 3:21 pm

I hate it when I need a paper clip and so many of the clips in the box have somehow interlocked themselves into a chain.

When I was in the service, I did that once to a co-worker as a joke. I was nice enough to undo it all after I had a good laugh after she TRIED to get one. But then we took an unopened package of them and used it as a volley ball. Of course the package started to rip so we just taped it up so we could still use it. Yup, that was your tax payers dollars hard at work.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Meredith315 on 01/22/20 at 3:26 pm

When people spell “Oats” wrong  >:(

Written By: 2001 on 01/22/20 at 3:36 pm

When people spell “Oats” wrong  >:(

Do they spell it Oates?

Written By: Meredith315 on 01/22/20 at 4:02 pm

Do they spell it Oates?

Yes. And I’ve seen other ways like “otes”, “ox”, “oxe”, and “ohtz”

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/22/20 at 10:16 pm

I realize it covers a good portion of this thread, but grammar police.

Careless drivers and careless people in general.

When I see food being wasted.

Smoking and littering.

Something designed with not enough capacity to go around.  Such as parking spaces. Checkout lines. Roads and businesses during tourist season. Doctor offices. Restaurant food. Internet bandwidth. Hotel rooms, campsites, housing. The list goes on.

Job related, my biggest peeve as an engineer is center lines not drawn on center. Forced dimensions is a close second.

Written By: nally on 01/22/20 at 11:30 pm

That happens when I try to fetch one too.

Occasionally they might be intentionally connected together in a chain, but other times they get that way when others move 'em around with their fingers (unintentionally). Sometimes they even get connected magnetically, by happenstance.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/20 at 8:13 am

I hate it when that happens.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/20 at 8:14 am

When too many people are staring or looking down at their phones not paying attention.  ::)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/23/20 at 8:14 pm

I saw a road rage incident going into Oshawa.  I said "Oh wow! What's going on up there?"? This idiot started going after the car in front of him and when the raging moron got up to the traffic light he got out of his car and started yelling at the other driver.  My mom said, "what is he doing?"? I said, "I think he's getting out of the car to yell at the driver in front of him?"?
Now when I get all enraged and stuff like that the very last thing I would do is get mad to the point that I get out of my car and start raging. 
But I almost said "get back in your car you @$$#0|_|=! Stop holding up traffic!"! My mom told me to shut up and asked me if I wanted a broken nose? I said no but that was the very first time I had witnessed such a thing.  I wish I had gotten it on my phone! It was quite something.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/23/20 at 8:39 pm

People who mispronounce certain two syllable words by adding the letter "a" inbetween the two syllables to make them three syllable words. The prime example of this is people who say "ath-a-lete" for "athlete". A few years ago there was even a commercial running for Duracell batteries where a booming, echoe-y voiceover said "ath-a-letes know you need running power". I'm sure the Duracell company spent millions of dollars for this commercial and employed all kinds of market research experts. They KNOW it's not pronounced "ath-a-lete". Yet they did it anyway. Who were they playing down to? Another common example is people who say "cock-a-roach" for that terrible insect pest. I've even heard people mention the comedian and actor "Dan Ack-a-royd". I'm not kidding.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/24/20 at 12:00 am

People who mispronounce certain two syllable words by adding the letter "a" inbetween the two syllables to make them three syllable words. The prime example of this is people who say "ath-a-lete" for "athlete". A few years ago there was even a commercial running for Duracell batteries where a booming, echoe-y voiceover said "ath-a-letes know you need running power". I'm sure the Duracell company spent millions of dollars for this commercial and employed all kinds of market research experts. They KNOW it's not pronounced "ath-a-lete". Yet they did it anyway. Who were they playing down to? Another common example is people who say "cock-a-roach" for that terrible insect pest. I've even heard people mention the comedian and actor "Dan Ack-a-royd". I'm not kidding.

Right or wrong, they did their job with the commercial. You remembered it. And it got you talking to others about it.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/20 at 8:01 am

I saw a road rage incident going into Oshawa.  I said "Oh wow! What's going on up there?"? This idiot started going after the car in front of him and when the raging moron got up to the traffic light he got out of his car and started yelling at the other driver.  My mom said, "what is he doing?"? I said, "I think he's getting out of the car to yell at the driver in front of him?"?
Now when I get all enraged and stuff like that the very last thing I would do is get mad to the point that I get out of my car and start raging. 
But I almost said "get back in your car you @$$#0|_|=! Stop holding up traffic!"! My mom told me to shut up and asked me if I wanted a broken nose? I said no but that was the very first time I had witnessed such a thing.  I wish I had gotten it on my phone! It was quite something.

Why would your mom even say that to you?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/24/20 at 2:37 pm

Why would your mom even say that to you?

Oh because she didn't want me to get into trouble because I was mouthing off.  I didn't even say that sentence loud enough for the guy that was raging to hear me.  But still, she wanted to let the guy who was raging calm down and get back in his car.  I'm a bit dangerous when it comes to being the passenger in a car but I'm not the one who's driving. 
I don't know? I just saw two white cars up ahead of us playing chicken with each other, no I didn't see what the issue was, and when they got up to the traffic lights one of the guys was raging.
Really? I don't think I ever felt as impeeded upon as I did when I saw what I saw.  It's a very scary world out there and your chances of running into someone who's easily angered at the slightest provocation are pretty big especially when you're heading to a place that's as big as Oshawa is, and Oshawa is a pretty big place.

Written By: 2001 on 01/26/20 at 1:43 pm

Oh because she didn't want me to get into trouble because I was mouthing off.  I didn't even say that sentence loud enough for the guy that was raging to hear me.  But still, she wanted to let the guy who was raging calm down and get back in his car.  I'm a bit dangerous when it comes to being the passenger in a car but I'm not the one who's driving. 
I don't know? I just saw two white cars up ahead of us playing chicken with each other, no I didn't see what the issue was, and when they got up to the traffic lights one of the guys was raging.
Really? I don't think I ever felt as impeeded upon as I did when I saw what I saw.  It's a very scary world out there and your chances of running into someone who's easily angered at the slightest provocation are pretty big especially when you're heading to a place that's as big as Oshawa is, and Oshawa is a pretty big place.

I haven't been there (except its suburb) but I heard Oshawa is pretty rough. Although as someone from Hamilton I probably shouldn't be talking ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/26/20 at 1:59 pm

When school kids before entering a city bus, plead to the bus driver to be asked to ride on for free cause they have hardly any change or nothing more on their pass.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/26/20 at 4:52 pm

I haven't been there (except its suburb) but I heard Oshawa is pretty rough. Although as someone from Hamilton I probably shouldn't be talking ;D

I'm from Cobourg and we have road rage but not quite as intense as what I saw.  A guy starts raging and impeeds traffic in the process.  It's just something that I wouldn't do myself.  I mean I rage but I don't get mad to the point of getting out of my car and yelling.

Written By: 2001 on 01/26/20 at 5:14 pm

I'm from Cobourg and we have road rage but not quite as intense as what I saw.  A guy starts raging and impeeds traffic in the process.  It's just something that I wouldn't do myself.  I mean I rage but I don't get mad to the point of getting out of my car and yelling.

Oo, you're from Cobourg? There's this sick band from there, they even made a song about their hometown. Unfortunately it's not the most positive song but it's still great ;D

N-Tgt5BVmg4

Written By: nally on 02/08/20 at 3:21 pm

People who think they're exempt from the rules (i.e., they think that the rules don't apply to them).

Written By: Howard on 02/08/20 at 3:58 pm

When customers start harassing me for wagons.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/17/20 at 5:20 pm

Have you noticed that the ONLY version of the word "mother" that is used today is "mom"? The more formal "mother" seems to have been erased from the language. I find this annoying. I'm not talking about what people choose to call their mother. If anyone calls their mother "mom" that's fine with me. In fact, I don't think I ever knew anybody who actually called their mother "mother".  But "mom" seems to be the OFFICIAL and ONLY word for mother now. Every mother on TV only refers to themselves as "a mom". Picture Frankie Heck on "The Middle", for example. "I'm a mom". "It's  a mom's job to teach her daughter...". Or someone saying "you're the mom, do something". This past week I didn't see a single Valentine's Day card that said "For My Mother". Not one! ONLY cards that said  "For Mom". So even Hallmark is in on the conspiracy. Maybe it's me, but the middle aged or older Frankie Heck types saying "I'm the mom" seems cringeworthy. Especially when they use a really round "o" like "I'm the mawm".

Written By: violet_shy on 02/17/20 at 5:31 pm

^ Most of the time I say "Mother". But, that's because I'm old school lol.

I really don't have many pet peeves. I would say a loud slamming door sound. It's so annoying!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/17/20 at 6:33 pm

Have you noticed that the ONLY version of the word "mother" that is used today is "mom"? The more formal "mother" seems to have been erased from the language. I find this annoying. I'm not talking about what people choose to call their mother. If anyone calls their mother "mom" that's fine with me. In fact, I don't think I ever knew anybody who actually called their mother "mother".  But "mom" seems to be the OFFICIAL and ONLY word for mother now. Every mother on TV only refers to themselves as "a mom". Picture Frankie Heck on "The Middle", for example. "I'm a mom". "It's  a mom's job to teach her daughter...". Or someone saying "you're the mom, do something". This past week I didn't see a single Valentine's Day card that said "For My Mother". Not one! ONLY cards that said  "For Mom". So even Hallmark is in on the conspiracy. Maybe it's me, but the middle aged or older Frankie Heck types saying "I'm the mom" seems cringeworthy. Especially when they use a really round "o" like "I'm the mawm".

I called my mother "Ma." Sometimes I would call her "Mother." When she did something to embarrass me-which was a lot it was more like, "Mu Ther!"

I don't know about cards because I only buy Christmas cards. All the other cards I create using a program I have. That way I can say exactly what I want it to say and I personalize them. Many times I even include the recipient's photo on them.

Cat

Written By: annimal on 02/17/20 at 6:46 pm

when the cat goes potty in my garden

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/17/20 at 9:41 pm

when the cat goes potty in my garden

When I hear someone say mother instead of mom it is always in a negative tone.

Written By: annimal on 02/17/20 at 9:44 pm

so the word mother is negative?

Written By: nally on 02/17/20 at 9:46 pm

so the word mother is negative?

Not in my book it isn't. Some people just seem to give it a negatory connotation.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/17/20 at 9:50 pm

Not in my book it isn't. Some people just seem to give it a negatory connotation.

When speaking to my mom, I call her mom. When I speak to others about her I say her mother.

Written By: annimal on 02/17/20 at 9:52 pm

her mother?  sounds like you are talking about your grandma to me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/17/20 at 9:53 pm

I have to repeat I was not talking about people calling their own mother "mother" or "mom". I was talking about the objective use of the word "mother". It has been replaced by the casual word "mom" in all circumstances. Previously, nobody ever said "I'm a mom". They said "I'm a mother". Even if their own child called them "mom". Nobody said "anybody who's a mom in this group raise your hand", they said "anybody who's a mother" etc, etc. I'm not saying everything should always be rigid and formal or anything like that, but when you stop to think of it, it just sounds ridiculous.

Written By: annimal on 02/17/20 at 9:59 pm

Okay, but don'y let yourself get too upset over something as little at that

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/17/20 at 10:08 pm

Okay, but don'y let yourself get too upset over something as little at that

That's why it's a pet peeve.  :D :D

It only bothers me when the new usage seems to completely take over the old usage. It also seems to have happened with the annoying abbreviation "veggies". Does NOBODY say "vegetables" anymore? Like I said, I don't advocate a return to Victorian formalness or anything like that. I come from the 60s and 70s for heaven's sake! But it indicates a kind of verbal laziness that is unattractive.

Written By: nally on 02/17/20 at 10:15 pm

When speaking to my mom, I call her mom. When I speak to others about her I say her mother.

I do the same.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/20 at 8:00 am

^ Most of the time I say "Mother". But, that's because I'm old school lol.

I really don't have many pet peeves. I would say a loud slamming door sound. It's so annoying!  ;D

I say the word "Ma".

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/18/20 at 10:13 am

It only bothers me when the new usage seems to completely take over the old usage. It also seems to have happened with the annoying abbreviation "veggies". Does NOBODY say "vegetables" anymore? Like I said, I don't advocate a return to Victorian formalness or anything like that. I come from the 60s and 70s for heaven's sake! But it indicates a kind of verbal laziness that is unattractive.

You're right, languages evolve.  And your observation is an example of one of the ways they evolve, always toward a shorter form.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/20 at 1:34 pm

You're right, languages evolve.  And your observation is an example of one of the ways they evolve, always toward a shorter form.

When "soccer mom" evolves into "soccer mother" that's when you know she's serious.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/18/20 at 1:36 pm

I say the word "Ma".

I use to say that when I was little. Then as I got older it was mom or mother.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/20 at 3:05 pm

When people who try to get on city buses when they have no money think they can get on for free.  ::)

Written By: annimal on 02/18/20 at 3:55 pm

I say vegetables. 

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/20 at 5:04 pm

I say vegetables.

I notice people saying "veg" (vej) and "non-veg" instead of vegetarian/non-vegetarian. For example, at a buffet they would say "this is veg section and this is the non-veg section" or someone might ask "Do you have veg options?" It doesn't bother me though.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/20 at 5:03 am

I notice people saying "veg" (vej) and "non-veg" instead of vegetarian/non-vegetarian. For example, at a buffet they would say "this is veg section and this is the non-veg section" or someone might ask "Do you have veg options?" It doesn't bother me though.

I thought British people say the word "veg"?  ???

Written By: nally on 03/14/21 at 5:53 pm

Spam callers!

Written By: violet_shy on 03/14/21 at 7:21 pm

I haven't had to deal with any pet peeves these days. I'm actually very easy going, and nothing has really bothered me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/14/21 at 7:32 pm

I haven't had to deal with any pet peeves these days. I'm actually very easy going, and nothing has really bothered me.

Nothing bothers Jess
She has no pet peeves
Her life is the best
She lives her days with ease!
:)

Written By: nally on 03/14/21 at 9:53 pm

I can actually relate. Not too many things are bothering me these days either, come to think of it.

Written By: Howard on 03/15/21 at 4:25 am

Spam callers!

That's what gets me angry.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/18/21 at 11:56 pm

Oh was I being negative? I'm sorry if that rubbed you the wrong way.

I interchange the words mother and mom when I talk about my mother/mom because that's what she is to me.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/21 at 2:02 pm

When someone puts you on hold on the phone.  ::)

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/01/21 at 3:11 pm

Oh was I being negative? I'm sorry if that rubbed you the wrong way.

I interchange the words mother and mom when I talk about my mother/mom because that's what she is to me.

Not like that, more like when I hear someone talking to their mom that way IRL.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/21 at 2:01 pm

dirty gloves and face masks.

Written By: nally on 06/18/21 at 12:28 am

Incompetence.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/22/21 at 5:17 pm

Spam callers!

I get them all the time! Don't they have anything better to do? They sure have a lot of time on their hands. ::)

Written By: nally on 06/22/21 at 7:58 pm

I get them all the time! Don't they have anything better to do? They sure have a lot of time on their hands. ::)

Clearly they don't have anything useful to do at all. ::)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/22/21 at 10:08 pm

Yesterday, Monday, June, 21st, my mother and I witnessed dumbassery in fine form when a truck pulled out from a house driveway right in front of us.  It was an instant "WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU MORON?"? ::) ::) ::)

Written By: violet_shy on 06/22/21 at 11:00 pm

Haven't done this in a while because of the pandemic. But, when you try on clothes in the fitting rooms at the clothing stores, and the floor is so cold and dirty....ew. Also, when you walk in the rooms smell like feet! I hate it. 

Written By: Howard on 06/23/21 at 4:51 am

We get them all the time too.  ::)

Written By: violet_shy on 06/23/21 at 2:47 pm

We get them all the time too.  ::)

I hate it when my phone rings and I'm thinking it's someone in the family or a close friend. And when I look at it, it says "Scam Likely". *sigh* So annoying. ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/23/21 at 3:33 pm

I hate it when my phone rings and I'm thinking it's someone in the family or a close friend. And when I look at it, it says "Scam Likely". *sigh* So annoying. ::)

Mine says "Spam Risk", sometimes My Fther is stupid enough to answer the phone and curse whoever's on the other line out.  ;D

Written By: nally on 06/23/21 at 8:04 pm

Mine says "Spam Risk", sometimes My Fther is stupid enough to answer the phone and curse whoever's on the other line out.  ;D

Whenever that moniker comes up, I absolutely NEVER answer it.

Written By: karen on 06/24/21 at 8:17 am

The use of the name Karen as an insult

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/21 at 8:17 am

Exactly as I was thinking!

It is not nice.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/24/21 at 8:19 am

Could be worse. Your name could be Fanny.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/24/21 at 3:20 pm

Exactly as I was thinking!

It is not nice.

Sorry, I apologize.

Written By: nally on 03/27/22 at 10:12 pm

Neighbors who don't know how to take care of their dogs! (They don't do anything to quell the incessant barking.)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/28/22 at 12:25 am

Neighbors who don't know how to take care of their dogs! (They don't do anything to quell the incessant barking.)

Or they don't look after their cat and they breed with another cat or they take a dump in one corner of a freshly dug out flower bed or neighbours don't take their cat inside and you can hear them fighting with another cat.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/28/22 at 9:55 am

Or they don't look after their cat and they breed with another cat or they take a dump in one corner of a freshly dug out flower bed or neighbours don't take their cat inside and you can hear them fighting with another cat.

Yea, stray cats, or people who let their cats out are a pain in the butt, and not doing their cats any favors

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/22 at 10:06 am

Yea, stray cats, or people who let their cats out are a pain in the butt, and not doing their cats any favors

I occasionally watch some of those "cat rescue" videos on Youtube. Some of these organizations are doing remarkable work. And I'm sure they operate on very little money.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/28/22 at 12:52 pm

I occasionally watch some of those "cat rescue" videos on Youtube. Some of these organizations are doing remarkable work. And I'm sure they operate on very little money.

I watch Dr Jeff Rocky Mountain Vet on Animal Planet and he came to one town that was over run by feral cats so they do the TN/SR or Trap Neuter/Spay and Release programs with the feral cat populations so that they can't breed.  It's a wonderful thing to see.

Unlike groups like PeTA who would rather see feral cats dead Dr Jeff actually cares about the animals that he cares for and doesn't mind helping out the feral cat populations.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/22 at 2:46 pm

Can't tell you how many Hope For Paws videos I have watched.  :-[  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/28/22 at 3:12 pm

The store manager's pet peeve from me is when I have my smartphone with music loud and he tells me to turn it down low or wear earbuds, so everytime I see him in the aisles, I have to turn it down or maybe turn it off when I get in there just for a second.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/28/22 at 3:44 pm

The store manager's pet peeve from me is when I have my smartphone with music loud and he tells me to turn it down low or wear earbuds, so everytime I see him in the aisles, I have to turn it down or maybe turn it off when I get in there just for a second.

I don't blame him! It's inconsiderate to blast loud music in public. Especially inside a store. In fact, MY pet peeve is people who blast loud music in public. I'm surprised you haven't been spoken to more severely about this at your workplace. I also think if somebody gets on a bus or train blasting music it's the height of rudeness.  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/22 at 3:58 pm

I don't blame him! It's inconsiderate to blast loud music in public. Especially inside a store. In fact, MY pet peeve is people who blast loud music in public. I'm surprised you haven't been spoken to more severely about this at your workplace. I also think if somebody gets on a bus or train blasting music it's the height of rudeness.  >:(
In similar vein, sitting on a bus, there was one young lady on her mobile phone, as if she is applying of something, and was giving out, for all the passengers to hear, her name, mother's maiden name, her address, bank account details, and other personal details. so much for personal security.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/22 at 3:56 am

The smartphone was in my coat pocket and you're right, I should lower the volume or just start to wear earbuds.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/29/22 at 12:50 pm

Yeah, it is.  Lots of people in the work place tend to get a bit annoyed when there's music blasting anywhere between 2Xs-4Xs the volume.  Whenever I hear bad music coming from somebody's car window I tend to get annoyed by it.
But what the hell? I live in a small town that's got lots of people opening up their car windows and blasting music out their windows in the summertime.  But what I consider to be "bad" music is not what other people would consider to be "bad' music.

Written By: karen on 03/29/22 at 1:47 pm

So you are at work, walking around inside the store blasting your own music?

You are lucky that he didn’t give you a written warning. It would be annoying if a member of the public did this, but an employee should definitely not be doing this

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/29/22 at 2:50 pm

Yeah, it is.  Lots of people in the work place tend to get a bit annoyed when there's music blasting anywhere between 2Xs-4Xs the volume.  Whenever I hear bad music coming from somebody's car window I tend to get annoyed by it.
But what the hell? I live in a small town that's got lots of people opening up their car windows and blasting music out their windows in the summertime.  But what I consider to be "bad" music is not what other people would consider to be "bad' music.

It does not matter if it's bad music or music you love. Disturbing the peace is disturbing the peace. Period.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/29/22 at 2:58 pm

I hate when people drive around with the bass up so high in their vehicles that my walls vibrate.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/29/22 at 3:00 pm

So you are at work, walking around inside the store blasting your own music?

You are lucky that he didn’t give you a written warning. It would be annoying if a member of the public did this, but an employee should definitely not be doing this

I wasn't blasting the music, the smartphone was in my coat pocket.
What if I kept my music on a low level?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/29/22 at 3:02 pm

I wasn't blasting the music, the smartphone was in my coat pocket.
What if I kept my music on a low level?

Coat pockets don't provide much buffer. Use the earbuds, Howard.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/29/22 at 4:28 pm

I think they should be called "Ivankas".

Cat

Written By: nally on 03/29/22 at 10:09 pm

Users on here who go overboard with Youtube vids in a single post. That is, place way more than two of them per post.

There are way too many in Reply #3 and reply #5 of this thread: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=52208.0

Written By: nally on 10/16/22 at 1:09 pm

I hate when people drive around with the bass up so high in their vehicles that my walls vibrate.

Cat

I’ve endured some instances of that too. It’s a pain.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/16/22 at 8:08 pm

Cat

I was sitting in the car in the parking lot at the Foodland grocery store and suddenly this big ass SUV pulled up next to our car with the radio turned on and this song with this very thumping bass line that made our car shake.  And I admit I was annoyed and so I gave the guy in the next car a look like "SHUT YOUR F---ING CAR OFF NOW!"! only I didn't say it out loud because I didn't know how this guy was going to react to me telling him what to do.
It was just a case of keeping my mouth shut and he'll get his kids out of the car, he had three young girls with him that I assumed were his daughters.  And he shut his car off.  I like music with a lot of bass in it but not that much bass.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Written By: nally on 10/16/22 at 11:24 pm

I was sitting in the car in the parking lot at the Foodland grocery store and suddenly this big ass SUV pulled up next to our car with the radio turned on and this song with this very thumping bass line that made our car shake.  And I admit I was annoyed and so I gave the guy in the next car a look like "SHUT YOUR F---ING CAR OFF NOW!"! only I didn't say it out loud because I didn't know how this guy was going to react to me telling him what to do.
It was just a case of keeping my mouth shut and he'll get his kids out of the car, he had three young girls with him that I assumed were his daughters.  And he shut his car off.  I like music with a lot of bass in it but not that much bass.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Often times I'm tempted to say that sorta thing aloud too, but there's a chance that the person might take it the wrong way, rather than with a grain of salt.

I used to have neighbors that would often blast the bass from their stereos. Occasionally I still hear it in my current neighborhood. Sometimes it is short-lived, though. If it's not, then that's another story.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/17/22 at 2:09 am

Often times I'm tempted to say that sorta thing aloud too, but there's a chance that the person might take it the wrong way, rather than with a grain of salt.

I used to have neighbors that would often blast the bass from their stereos. Occasionally I still hear it in my current neighborhood. Sometimes it is short-lived, though. If it's not, then that's another story.

I couldn't escape the song with the thumping bass line.  It was like BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. I mean it's one thing when your music is something that you like and that other people like but it's another thing entirely when the bass lines are so low that it shakes your car and you don't know how to handle it because you don't know how people will react to you saying something about it?  And it's like I said I like songs that have a lot of bass in them but not THAT much bass.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/22 at 7:10 am

Sometimes you don't know how that person will react after you say something to them, if you need to say something, say it nicely and not too angrily or else they will get angry back.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/22 at 10:58 am

Cat
Too true, the loudest must damage their hearing?

Not quite a peeve, but one driving on a bypass of a major city, one car adjacent to us was playing Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, the Choral movement, now can listen to that all day long. We gave the driver the thumbs up sign, he appreciated it.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/22 at 2:22 pm

Too true, the loudest must damage their hearing?

Not quite a peeve, but one driving on a bypass of a major city, one car adjacent to us was playing Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, the Choral movement, now can listen to that all day long. We gave the driver the thumbs up sign, he appreciated it.

I don't mind any music from The 70's and 80's but anything that is damaging to the ears, forget it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/22 at 3:02 am

I don't mind any music from The 70's and 80's but anything that is damaging to the ears, forget it.
We once spent a car trip continually playing ABBA's greatest hits, all were singing along.

Check for new replies or respond here...