inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I'm So Sad

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/20/16 at 10:25 pm

I'm glad that I recorded the Tragically Hip concert from Kingston because it may be the last time that we see Gord Downie ever.  If not for sleazy online ticket scalpers I might have been able to see that concert. >:(

Subject: Re: I'm So Sad

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/21/16 at 1:40 pm

I'm really sorry, what's wrong with Gord, if you don't mind my asking.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/21/16 at 2:32 pm

I'm really sorry, what's wrong with Gord, if you don't mind my asking.

Gord Downie was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour late last year, all localized in the back of his head, and he went through chemotherapy and radiation to get well enough to tour.  The last Hip concert was in their home town of Kingston, Ontario which is not too far from where I live.  The CBC broadcast it live on TV and the internet.  I decided to record the concert on a DVD for nostalgic purposes because we just don't know if we'll ever see Gord Downie again.

It was a really cool way to say good bye to the Hip 29 years and 20 albums later.  Who knows what's going to happen for them next?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/21/16 at 5:27 pm

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I'm really very sorry. That was nice of the CBC to broadcast the show like that.
I know what it's like to lose a star you look up to. Any time you want to talk about it, I'm only a message away. HUGS.
Just brace up, be strong and try to remember the good time and the legacy he'll leave behind.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/21/16 at 10:01 pm

LAZUsCONjIQ

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/16 at 10:52 pm

BBC News has a report on this emotional concert.

Tragically Hip: Dying singer Gord Downie bids Canada farewell

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37147588

Written By: karen on 08/22/16 at 5:24 am

that explains why Tammy was posting so many Tragically Hip lyrics on Facebook

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/16 at 9:44 am

Well, this could result into a Celebrity Heaven thread.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/22/16 at 2:10 pm

Well, this could result into a Celebrity Heaven thread.

I know.  That's what the Canadian media did when his doctors announced his prognosis in May.  They were writting his obituary.  HELLO DING DONGS? He's not dead yet! He has an inoperable brain tumour.
The mainstream media in Canada was saying things like "he's touring because he has to tour!" No.  Gord Downie toured because he "wanted" to tour not because he "had" to tour.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/16 at 2:23 pm

I know.  That's what the Canadian media did when his doctors announced his prognosis in May.  They were writting his obituary.  HELLO DING DONGS? He's not dead yet! He has an inoperable brain tumour.
The mainstream media in Canada was saying things like "he's touring because he has to tour!" No.  Gord Downie toured because he "wanted" to tour not because "had" to tour.

I don't think anyway that any country should force a musician or band to tour, just because they had to. It seems like they're going totalitarian against him.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/22/16 at 2:39 pm

I don't think anyway that any country should force a musician or band to tour, just because they had to. It seems like they're going totalitarian against him.

You're right about that NYE.  But the thing with the mainstream media here vs elswhere in the world is that our mainstream media only cares about ratings and how much BS they can shove into one story.  In this case it's the fact that Gord wanted to tour, and his medical team said that he wanted to tour to give The Hip a proper send off.
Not very many bands get the recognition that the Hip have or even get a proper send off like the Hip have.  But at least now Gord can stop and concentrate more on his health.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/22/16 at 2:54 pm

You're right about that NYE.  But the thing with the mainstream media here vs elswhere in the world is that our mainstream media only cares about ratings and how much BS they can shove into one story.  In this case it's the fact that Gord wanted to tour, and his medical team said that he wanted to tour to give The Hip a proper send off.
Not very many bands get the recognition that the Hip have or even get a proper send off like the Hip have.  But at least now Gord can stop and concentrate more on his health.

And pretty much say his final wishes.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/16 at 3:05 pm

:(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/23/16 at 12:54 pm

:(

Yeah I don't like headlines like that either Howard.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/26/17 at 2:20 pm

Gord Downie passed away last week.  I'm going to lock this post.

Check for new replies or respond here...