inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why the hell is there so many spam?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/18/16 at 6:25 pm

Some guy named DerrikKill, made an account that shows nothing but stupid essay links. Could somebody please just stop him?

Subject: Re: Why the hell is there so many spam?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/18/16 at 6:44 pm

I haven't noticed. I don't go on every section of the site! :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/18/16 at 6:47 pm

I haven't noticed. I don't go on every section of the site! :(

Well luckily, the spam is gone. ChuckyG got rid of it.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/18/16 at 6:51 pm

Oh, I just saw one like three minutes ago!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/18/16 at 6:52 pm

Oh, I just saw one like three minutes ago!

Well, that was before Chucky got rid of it.

Written By: Ripley on 09/18/16 at 7:16 pm

There was another one, I forget the name, but they were talking about notebook paper. I reported it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/16 at 7:18 pm

There was another one, I forget the name, but they were talking about notebook paper. I reported it.
At least three!

Spam is the problem of the Internet.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/18/16 at 7:23 pm

At least three!

Spam is the problem of the Internet.

True. But I don't think you could get rid of spam.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/16 at 7:38 pm

True. But I don't think you could get rid of spam.
There will always be those scrupulous people out there?

Written By: nally on 09/18/16 at 9:15 pm

Some guy named DerrikKill, made an account that shows nothing but stupid essay links. Could somebody please just stop him?

Glad I'm not the only one noticing this. I've noticed a lot of really bizarre monikers as of late on this site; and sometimes for curiosity's sake I investigate their profiles... and often times they have such links on their profiles, for solicitation and garbage like that. All they do is register an account, log in long enough to update their profile with spamalicious stuff, and never log in again. They don't even post anything, mostly.

And it's only in the last 5 or 6 years that I've noticed this trend. During some periods they register at such an alarming rate... and every so often they are culled. It's getting rather crazy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/16 at 9:17 pm

There will always be those scrupulous people out there?
Probably clicking on the links may give you a virus?

Written By: nally on 09/18/16 at 9:17 pm

The links they post in their profiles, yes. I don't take that risk.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/16 at 10:22 pm

Someone or somebody with nothing else better to do on a Sunday?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/16 at 10:34 pm

Guest 11:30:33 AM Viewing the topic Why the hell is there so many spam?.

Even a guest viewing this apt thread?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/16 at 11:15 am

When that happens-which it does from time to time, just report it. Don't respond-just report it.

Cat

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/19/16 at 1:47 pm

I don't think that happened with DerrikKill's posts.

Written By: nally on 09/19/16 at 1:49 pm

In looking at the stats from this past weekend, I notice there were double-figures under "new topics started"; perhaps the majority of those might have been spams. :o

Perhaps this "DerrikKill" character might have been responsible for all them?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/19/16 at 1:54 pm

In looking at the stats from this past weekend, I notice there were double-figures under "new topics started"; perhaps the majority of those might have been spams. :o

Perhaps this "DerrikKill" character might have been responsible for all them?

I was thinking the same thing when it happened yesterday.

Written By: nally on 09/19/16 at 1:59 pm

I was thinking the same thing when it happened yesterday.

I didn't see any of those threads; perhaps they got expunged before I logged on.

There were apparently 32 new threads created on Saturday and 72 on Sunday; that's quite a lot. :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/19/16 at 2:02 pm

I didn't see any of those threads; perhaps they got expunged before I logged on.

There were apparently 32 new threads created on Saturday and 72 on Sunday; that's quite a lot. :o

I saw a lot of those threads at the Current Television Shows forum.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/16 at 3:23 pm

I try not to do that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 8:40 pm

In a way, it is a similar to cold callers?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/19/16 at 8:42 pm

In a way, it is a similar to cold callers?

Man, you guys had a weird reputation over guests. No offense really, especially when I don't want to have a lot of spam here. It's like we're somehow being threatened by somebody.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/16 at 8:51 pm

Man, you guys had a weird reputation over guests. No offense really, especially when I don't want to have a lot of spam here. It's like we're somehow being threatened by somebody.
The spammers are those that sign up and eventually do what they need to to promote whatever, the guests just hang around viewing, but the potential spammers must be guests at first to survey the boards.

Written By: nally on 09/19/16 at 8:55 pm

The spammers are those that sign up and eventually do what they need to to promote whatever, the guests just hang around viewing, but the potential spammers must be guests at first to survey the boards.

But still, the number 1 rule on this site is No spamming. Somehow the bots don't seem to see it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/19/16 at 8:55 pm

I wonder if they're just bots, though.

But still, the number 1 rule on this site is No spamming. Somehow the bots don't seem to see it.

Maybe it's because they don't care about the rules. I mean, it's not like they take the site seriously.

Written By: nally on 10/04/16 at 3:17 pm

Another one is on the loose right now:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=21458

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/04/16 at 3:17 pm

I already reported it.

Written By: nally on 10/04/16 at 3:18 pm

I already reported it.

Good.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/16 at 3:33 pm

He'll get caught. >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/04/16 at 3:37 pm

He'll get caught. >:(

Most likely.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/16 at 8:45 pm

Did miss anything?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/05/16 at 10:28 am

Did miss anything?

Well, there was a spammer who made two useless threads on the "Writing on the Walrus" sub board.

Written By: nally on 10/22/16 at 9:50 pm

Another one:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=21566

He's doing nothing but spamming random threads. Sicko. 8-P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/22/16 at 10:04 pm

Another one:

I already reported one of his posts. Chucky might find out about this guy, and maybe get rid of his account. It makes me wonder why are there so many spammers for the past two months?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/16 at 10:11 pm

I already reported one of his posts. Chucky might find out about this guy, and maybe get rid of his account. It makes me wonder why are there so many spammers for the past two months?
It is the curse of the Internet!

Written By: nally on 10/22/16 at 10:13 pm

I already reported one of his posts. Chucky might find out about this guy, and maybe get rid of his account.

Good. I messaged Chucky with a link to the user's profile, explaining that all the guy was doing was spamming. If I were a mod, I'd zap the user just like that, and possibly block his IP.

It makes me wonder why are there so many spammers for the past two months?

We've had periods of them over time, including droves in some cases. Not sure what causes it. I just know that spam has no place here, which I've said in the past and I'll say again if I have to.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/22/16 at 10:39 pm

It is the curse of the Internet!

More like a curse to this site.

Good. I messaged Chucky with a link to the user's profile, explaining that all the guy was doing was spamming. If I were a mod, I'd zap the user just like that, and possibly block his IP.

I would've done the same thing if I were a mod.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/23/16 at 12:01 am

Another one:

Can anyone read Russian?

Written By: Howard on 10/23/16 at 7:37 am

Another one:

some guy named Robertcics. ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/23/16 at 7:38 am

Can anyone read Russian?

I can't.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/23/16 at 9:03 am

Can anyone read Russian?

Nope

Written By: ArcticFox on 10/26/16 at 12:53 am

You're right, there is lots of spam. Just look at the first page of both the 2000s and 2010s boards and you'll see what I mean. A whole bunch of incredibly repetitive topics that people have already brought up so many times. I come back onto the boards and this is what I run into? Wow. These people just keep going in circles, it's so freaking annoying!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/26/16 at 5:57 am

You're right, there is lots of spam. Just look at the first page of both the 2000s and 2010s boards and you'll see what I mean. A whole bunch of incredibly repetitive topics that people have already brought up so many times. I come back onto the boards and this is what I run into? Wow. These people just keep going in circles, it's so freaking annoying!

There was also a Russian user who kept spamming people with dumb links to books or something like that. He was reported somehow.

Written By: karen on 10/26/16 at 7:14 am

There was also a Russian user who kept spamming people with dumb links to books or something like that. He was reported somehow.

By the 'report to moderator' link at the bottom of the post.  All posts have one.  And anyone can use it

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/26/16 at 7:41 am

By the 'report to moderator' link at the bottom of the post.  All posts have one.  And anyone can use it

Yeah, but it took a bit of a while until he got successfully reported. I reported one of his posts, but I wasn't sure for a while.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/26/16 at 1:37 pm

Because people are hungry.

http://www.tastyislandhawaii.com/images/spam_musubi/spam_can_open.jpg

Written By: ArcticFox on 10/26/16 at 1:41 pm

Yes, those and the cultural threads. I know I used to contribute to these kinds of threads before, but my objective was always to resolve the topic at hand. Whereas threads in those boards are constantly starting new ones with the exact same topics and people always post the exact same thing, but just in different words. You know, topics such as "2000s vs 2010s", "Mainstream culture in the mid 2010s", "2010s music is horrible", "I hate 2016", "Can this decade be over?🙄" every single one of them always leads to bashing of the current decade somehow, and always saying that the past was better while the present isn't worth looking into. Everyone has stated their opinion on it and everyone always says the exact same thing that they said before. On this forum, I'm pretty much the only one that actually likes the present, even though in the real world pretty much every young person I know does too. I just want new topics to talk about, not rehashing old ones.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/26/16 at 1:48 pm

Yes, those and the cultural threads. I know I used to contribute to these kinds of threads before, but my objective was always to resolve the topic at hand. Whereas threads in those boards are constantly starting new ones with the exact same topics and people always post the exact same thing, but just in different words. You know, topics such as "2000s vs 2010s", "Mainstream culture in the mid 2010s", "2010s music is horrible", "I hate 2016", "Can this decade be over?🙄" every single one of them always leads to bashing of the current decade somehow, and always saying that the past was better while the present isn't worth looking into. Everyone has stated their opinion on it and everyone always says the exact same thing that they said before. On this forum, I'm pretty much the only one that actually likes the present, even though in the real world pretty much every young person I know does too. I just want new topics to talk about, not rehashing old ones.

Well, there are a few people that actually like the present. Slowpoke, mqg96 (despite on how bad he thinks tensions are with blacks), and Looney Toon are good examples.

Written By: Howard on 10/26/16 at 5:43 pm

I know it is, It's quite annoying. ::)

Written By: karen on 10/26/16 at 6:16 pm

Yeah, but it took a bit of a while until he got successfully reported. I reported one of his posts, but I wasn't sure for a while.

When you've reported a post one of the moderators needs to get the notification before acting on it - it isn't an automatic removal.  So it depends on the time of day that you report something as to how quickly it will be dealt with.

Another board I belonged to automatically removed a reported post, pending an approval by one of the mod team.  Except the mod team didn't work weekends or after about 6p.m. so the report a post was used maliciously by some people to get posts they didn't agree with removed.

On the whole I prefer the system here

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/26/16 at 6:49 pm

When you've reported a post one of the moderators needs to get the notification before acting on it - it isn't an automatic removal.  So it depends on the time of day that you report something as to how quickly it will be dealt with.

Another board I belonged to automatically removed a reported post, pending an approval by one of the mod team.  Except the mod team didn't work weekends or after about 6p.m. so the report a post was used maliciously by some people to get posts they didn't agree with removed.

On the whole I prefer the system here

Does the mod team work every day here?

Written By: nally on 11/07/16 at 4:08 pm

We've been hit with another one, this time in the Song Lyrics section, on a very old thread that hadn't been touched in years:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=21629

(Edit: Gone!)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/16 at 4:29 pm

Does the mod team work every day here?

The mod team are members like you and me. They volunteer to do the job. You know them because their name is in green. There are a few who are in blue. Blue usually means "lead mod" and Chucky (our fearless leader  :D ;D ;D ) is in red.

Some of the mods have been MIA. Lately, things have been running pretty smoothly so the need for mods have been very minimal. But, I noticed that if something is reported, it is usually taken care of pretty quickly. So, that means that our mods are doing their jobs-whether are they posting on the boards or not.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 11/07/16 at 4:47 pm

I'm not a huge grammar Nazi, but the thread title should really read "Why the hell is there so much spam?". It reads too unnatural and it's been bothering me!  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/07/16 at 5:15 pm

I'm not a huge grammar Nazi, but the thread title should really read "Why the hell is there so much spam?". It reads too unnatural and it's been bothering me!  ;D

I think this thread should be called "spam threads" instead of "spam" in general. This was made when a bunch of spammers annoyed us with threads with questionable links, which lead me into making this thread.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/16 at 9:12 pm

We've been hit with another one, this time in the Song Lyrics section, on a very old thread that hadn't been touched in years:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=21629

(Edit: Gone!)
Did I miss something?

Written By: nally on 11/07/16 at 10:41 pm

Did I miss something?

Just a couple of spamalicious random replies to a thread in Song Lyrics (for some reason, spammards seem to attack that section a LOT). The posts had to do with IKEA, but the links were potentially dangerous (I didn't click 'em).

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/16 at 10:47 pm

Just a couple of spamalicious random replies to a thread in Song Lyrics (for some reason, spammards seem to attack that section a LOT). The posts had to do with IKEA, but the links were potentially dangerous (I didn't click 'em).
... if it works?

http://img.memecdn.com/Ikea_o_105936.webp

Written By: nally on 11/07/16 at 10:51 pm

... if it works?

http://img.memecdn.com/Ikea_o_105936.webp

I don't take chances with such links, especially if their URL (which you can see if you hover over the link) is a site that might harm your computer.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/16 at 3:14 pm

I don't take chances with such links, especially if their URL (which you can see if you hover over the link) is a site that might harm your computer.

and could cause a virus.

Written By: 2001 on 11/17/16 at 3:18 pm

There should be a post count minimum before you're allowed to post any links or pictures. The recent spam thread just goes beyond, ugh.  8-P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/17/16 at 3:22 pm

There should be a post count minimum before you're allowed to post any links or pictures. The recent spam thread just goes beyond, ugh.  8-P

Links I could get, but I don't think pictures should be limited to those with a high post count. I don't use Personality Cafe so much because of that, even though I had over a thousand posts on my old account.

Written By: 2001 on 11/17/16 at 3:24 pm

Links I could get, but I don't think pictures should be limited to those with a high post count. I don't use Personality Cafe so much because of that, even though I had over a thousand posts on my old account.

5 posts isn't too much I don't think.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/17/16 at 3:26 pm

5 posts isn't too much I don't think.

Yeah, but I'm not sure if non spammers with under 5 posts would think it's very good. Even though it's an extremely low post count.

Written By: nally on 12/24/16 at 1:54 pm

Another one: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=21814

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/24/16 at 5:07 pm

Another one: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=21814

It's deleted.

Written By: nally on 12/25/16 at 12:32 pm

It's deleted.

Good. I bet that spammer got a lump o' coal in his stocking. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/16 at 1:21 am

It's deleted.
Splendid!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/16 at 1:21 am

Good. I bet that spammer got a lump o' coal in his stocking. :P
O0

Written By: nally on 02/17/17 at 12:53 pm

Another one has been spotted, and he's randomly posting spam links in random threads:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=21967

I already messaged ChuckyG about this.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/17 at 2:09 pm

Another one has been spotted, and he's randomly posting spam links in random threads:

This person is just trying to be an idiot!  >:(

Written By: karen on 02/18/17 at 4:44 am

I used the Report to Moderator link on one of his posts.  He was pretty prolific though

Written By: nally on 02/18/17 at 2:30 pm

I used the Report to Moderator link on one of his posts.  He was pretty prolific though

Yeah... but every single one of his posts was nothing but spam, which has no place here.

Glad I wasn't the only one that spotted it.

Written By: nally on 05/14/17 at 2:32 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22181

I am not sure if anyone has reported him to ChuckyG, but I just now noticed it.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/14/17 at 3:07 pm

Okay.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/17 at 3:32 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22181

I am not sure if anyone has reported him to ChuckyG, but I just now noticed it.
I managed to report at the time of the spammer's action.

Written By: nally on 05/14/17 at 3:48 pm

I managed to report at the time of the spammer's action.

Good, I wasn't alone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/17 at 3:52 pm

Okay.
One of the wrong side of the Internet.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/14/17 at 5:39 pm

One of the wrong side of the Internet.

The dark side of the web.

https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/Darth-Vader_6bda9114.jpeg?region=0%2C23%2C1400%2C785&width=768

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/17 at 6:19 pm

Good, I wasn't alone.
Looks to be gone now... but there may be another still online?

Written By: Howard on 05/15/17 at 5:35 am

Looks to be gone now... but there may be another still online?

Let's hope not. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/17 at 3:50 am

Yet we have another!

Written By: Howard on 05/16/17 at 5:17 am

Yet we have another!

someone is giving away free jerseys.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/17 at 5:51 am

No, it is the shipping that is free.

Written By: nally on 05/16/17 at 5:27 pm

No, it is the shipping that is free.

It's probably bogus. The user has been reported, hopefully to be put in his place.

Written By: nally on 05/16/17 at 10:17 pm

It's probably bogus. The user has been reported, hopefully to be put in his place.

It has been done! :D

Written By: 2001 on 06/15/17 at 6:50 am

The spam is out of control eh. It feels like everyday I'm reporting spam :o

I think there should be a 5 post requirement for posting hyperlinks. :-X

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/15/17 at 1:24 pm

The spam is out of control eh. It feels like everyday I'm reporting spam :o

I think there should be a 5 post requirement for posting hyperlinks. :-X

It should be 10. Who knows if they could still post questionable links?

Written By: 2001 on 06/15/17 at 4:59 pm

Eek, even more spam for the PM!

It should be 10. Who knows if they could still post questionable links?

Well, they're just bots. If a bot runs into a wall, it usually stops working.

Better still would may be to have people with less than 20 posts pass a CAPTCHA test for each post. That might be less obtrusive to people who only sign up to ask about a missing toy or TV show and might need to use a link.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/15/17 at 6:49 pm

It's too much. The bots! The spam! The trolling! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/ATRL_Smilies_All/atrlers/jonny_zpsc73391c5.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/korn0818/ATRL_Smilies_All/atrlers/jonny_zpsc73391c5.png

Written By: nally on 07/07/17 at 10:47 pm

Another one has hit us....
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22373

He's doing nothing but spamming random threads, by posting random spammage. 8-P I have just reported him to the admins.

Written By: Dude111 on 07/08/17 at 2:39 am

Yes I reported 2 of them.........

We might have to put new members on MODERATION (No one sees what they post until approved by staff (Until they are released as a trusted member)) if the staff doesnt mind doing it (It becomes quite time consuming and they have alot to do as it is)

Written By: nally on 07/08/17 at 7:05 am

He's doing nothing but spamming random threads, by posting random spammage. 8-P I have just reported him to the admins.

His account is gone, but for some reason the posts are still there.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/17 at 7:18 am

I saw him this morning.  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 07/08/17 at 11:22 am

Another day, another spam attack. Or two... or three...  :-\\

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/08/17 at 11:52 am

Another day, another spam attack. Or two... or three...  :-\\

I've keep seeing those people all over the forums. It makes me wonder why would they spam this site in the first place?

Written By: Elor on 07/08/17 at 3:38 pm

I've keep seeing those people all over the forums. It makes me wonder why would they spam this site in the first place?
Because they are bots and spam every site. ;)

Written By: Dude111 on 07/08/17 at 4:24 pm

Indeed so... Another SMF site I am on (mauisun.org/smf) we had a couple spam attacks a few weeks ago........

Its not easy keeping spam off a site unless you wanna put new members on moderation which makes it harder for staff..........

Written By: nally on 07/08/17 at 4:46 pm

And they don't know how to do anything useful with their lives. ::)

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/08/17 at 5:35 pm

Even though those bots are controlled by people. So clearly the people who programmed them wanted to spam this site for some reason.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/17 at 5:51 pm

cause they feel like it.

Written By: Elor on 07/10/17 at 5:12 am

Even though those bots are controlled by people. So clearly the people who programmed them wanted to spam this site for some reason.
I believe they use search algorithms. It just searches for "forum" and then automatically registers with every one it can find and starts posting it's crap. That's not purposefully directed at specific sites but spams every forum it can find and register with.

Written By: Elor on 07/24/17 at 3:59 am

Spammer reported. ::)

Written By: nally on 07/24/17 at 11:45 am

Spammer reported. ::)

He was everywhere last night, attacking random threads. I reported him too.

Written By: karen on 08/03/17 at 4:06 am

Do the people who give spammers fudge (negative karma) also bother to report it?

Written By: Dude111 on 08/04/17 at 3:24 pm

Yes I always do..... (I dunno how many active staff members we still have)

Written By: annimal on 08/04/17 at 5:01 pm

I don't know either so I wouldn't be able to answer that in my ask me thread

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/17 at 1:41 pm

Do the people who give spammers fudge (negative karma) also bother to report it?
If I have noticed spam and spammers in the act, I certainly report them.

Written By: Elor on 08/05/17 at 3:00 pm

Best thing is to also post under the spam that one has reported it. Otherwise other members will probably report it too and flood the inbox of the moderation team with the same report over and over.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/17 at 3:07 pm

Best thing is to also post under the spam that one has reported it. Otherwise other members will probably report it too and flood the inbox of the moderation team with the same report over and over.
Good idea, also the spammer will get the message too?

Also, the negative karma can be an indication too?

Written By: Elor on 08/06/17 at 4:31 am

Good idea, also the spammer will get the message too?

The spammer usually is a bot and doesn't care about replies to it's posts. ;)

Written By: karen on 08/06/17 at 11:01 am

That's a good point.  Although sometimes they've made multiple posts and you only need report one of them...

Written By: nally on 08/07/17 at 11:36 am

Two of them have just been spotted, and reported.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/17 at 4:19 am

We have another, been reported, stopped for the moment, must be on a tea break?

Written By: Howard on 08/17/17 at 7:50 am

We have another, been reported, stopped for the moment, must be on a tea break?

and he's selling ugly shoes!

Written By: Elor on 08/17/17 at 3:40 pm

Just reported two more. Seriously how can a spambot have more than 200 posts here since April without having been banned? What are the moderators doing on this site? ???

Written By: annimal on 08/17/17 at 3:43 pm

eating stuff with peanut butter and bananas?

Written By: nally on 08/17/17 at 6:36 pm

Just reported two more. Seriously how can a spambot have more than 200 posts here since April without having been banned? What are the moderators doing on this site? ???

I wonder if our mods should come by here during more hours and get rid of these bots, before they start to spam us out of control?

Written By: violet_shy on 08/17/17 at 6:38 pm

and he's selling ugly shoes!

Hahahaha lol  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 08/17/17 at 6:55 pm

I think Merlinved might be banned, but we have a user "Merlinvah" that's almost certainly going to attack soon.

Written By: nally on 08/17/17 at 6:58 pm

I think Merlinved might be banned, but we have a user "Merlinvah" that's almost certainly going to attack soon.

I noticed that too. His profile even contains spamalicious information, including links, which means he's at least a spam bot. I just pmed Chuck about him.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/17 at 7:39 am

That's what I want to know, he kept posting ugly shoes. ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/18/17 at 7:40 am

Hahahaha lol  ;D

Jessica, did you see those sneakers those were so ugly looking! :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/17 at 7:46 am

They did look awful, and glad all have gone gone.

Written By: karen on 08/18/17 at 8:10 am

I wonder if our mods should come by here during more hours and get rid of these bots, before they start to spam us out of control?

Apart from Chucky I am not sure how many other moderators can delete someone.  Most others are single board moderators and have limited powers I think.  And many of those are not active any more.  Chucky said his time is really limited now so he doesn't get to the boards that often.

Written By: annimal on 08/18/17 at 10:21 am

All I can do is try to let them know how wonderful they are

Written By: nally on 08/18/17 at 12:09 pm

Apart from Chucky I am not sure how many other moderators can delete someone.  Most others are single board moderators and have limited powers I think.  And many of those are not active any more.

yeah, I notice that.

Chucky said his time is really limited now so he doesn't get to the boards that often.

Yep. I saw his post on FB regarding that.

Written By: nally on 08/18/17 at 12:15 pm

Anyway, another one has just been spotted. I hope someone has reported this loser.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/17 at 1:05 pm

Anyway, another one has just been spotted. I hope someone has reported this loser.
Duly done!

Written By: violet_shy on 08/18/17 at 3:12 pm

I'm STILL laughing! To top off they spam the boards, they post ugly shoes ads. The least they can do is post some nice things. Lol.

Written By: annimal on 08/18/17 at 3:40 pm

I hope you didn't just give anyone another idea

Written By: violet_shy on 08/18/17 at 3:46 pm

I hope you didn't just give anyone another idea

Nah. Why would I? The spamming is annoying and needs to stop.

Written By: annimal on 08/18/17 at 3:53 pm

yes but they might try to  :-X

Written By: Howard on 08/18/17 at 4:08 pm

They did look awful, and glad all have gone gone.

I'm glad too.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/17 at 4:10 pm

I'm STILL laughing! To top off they spam the boards, they post ugly shoes ads. The least they can do is post some nice things. Lol.

Don't encourage them.  ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 08/18/17 at 4:15 pm

yes but they might try to  :-X

Don't worry...I'll just tell them to GET THE F**K OUT!!!

Written By: annimal on 08/18/17 at 4:33 pm

thats what I do but it usually doesn't work

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/17 at 4:38 pm

All gone now, oh the relief!

Written By: annimal on 08/18/17 at 4:41 pm

yes, so much better

Written By: violet_shy on 08/18/17 at 5:49 pm

Yay!  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/19/17 at 7:35 am

hopefully this is the end of it.

Written By: Elor on 08/19/17 at 5:10 pm

hopefully this is the end of it.
There is always more where that came from, I'm afraid. 8-P ::)

Written By: annimal on 08/19/17 at 5:18 pm

don't remind me

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/17 at 3:26 pm

Another spammer bites the dust!

Written By: nally on 08/23/17 at 4:38 pm

Another spammer bites the dust!

Must've been taken care of quickly!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/17 at 4:41 pm

Must've been taken care of quickly!
Yes.

One thing I noticed, that spammer had put exactly 30 spam posts before disappearing, just like the same shoe spammer the other, but that spammer was able to come back for more to post another 30.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/17 at 6:57 am

One thing I noticed, that spammer had put exactly 30 spam posts before disappearing, just like the same shoe spammer the other, but that spammer was able to come back for more to post another 30.
It is the same with the current spammer, another 30 posts and then scarpers off.

Written By: Elor on 08/24/17 at 8:11 am

And another one. Them bots are evolving. Heathcamb even gives negative karma... ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/17 at 8:29 am

And another one. Them bots are evolving. Heathcamb even gives negative karma... ::)
That negative karma was me giving to Heathmab...

Written By: Elor on 08/24/17 at 10:51 am

That negative karma was me giving to Heathmab...

ooopsss...... :-[ :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/17 at 11:41 am

ooopsss...... :-[ :D
O0

Written By: Elor on 08/24/17 at 1:32 pm

And he's at it again...maybe a few new moderators would come in handy... ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/24/17 at 1:53 pm

something needs to be done.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/17 at 1:56 pm

It is the same with the current spammer, another 30 posts and then scarpers off.
Again the spammers are working in blocks of 30 posts each time currently on 90.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/17 at 2:20 pm

something needs to be done.
May be the current moderators are given more powers?

Written By: Elor on 08/24/17 at 3:25 pm

May be the current moderators are given more powers?
On a global forum you also need to have moderators from different time zones to cover a bigger part of the day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/17 at 3:26 pm

On a global forum you also need to have moderators from different time zones to cover a bigger part of the day.
We use to have one based in the UK,and several in the Americas, but they left.

Written By: Elor on 08/24/17 at 3:34 pm

I would do it. I'm not much of a moderator (especially since I'm not a native speaker) but taking out spam wouldn't be a problem.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/17 at 3:36 pm

I would do it. I'm not much of a moderator (especially since I'm not a native speaker) but taking out spam wouldn't be a problem.
I do not know if my I.T. skills can stretch that far, I would affair of making mistakes.

Written By: nally on 08/24/17 at 8:36 pm

I think that would be a good idea.

But whatever happened, has been taken care of.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/17 at 4:38 pm

What about Chucky? ???

Written By: annimal on 08/25/17 at 4:40 pm

never heard of him

Written By: nally on 08/25/17 at 10:42 pm

never heard of him

Of course you have; he's our fearless leader. He cannot be here at all hours because he has other things he does each day. (And so do we.)

Elor is just making a suggestion that we should have additional moderators, who can be here at various times of the day to get rid of spammers.

Written By: annimal on 08/26/17 at 2:07 pm

Well I agree that we should have additional mod's who can be here at various times.

Written By: Dude111 on 08/26/17 at 2:09 pm

I just deleted a bunch more on mauisun.org/smf

Its insane!!!!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/26/17 at 8:36 pm

I know my age goes against me (since i'm only 18), but I would even be open to doing it as well. Because I live in Australia, most members are generally offline when I go on the site, so the forums aren't monitored as such.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/17 at 9:23 pm

I just reported a bunch of posts. I'm sure Chucky will make his appearance and not only delete the spam but ban the offender. Again, Please don't feed the spammers. Just report them.

Cat

Written By: Dude111 on 08/26/17 at 9:30 pm

I just reported the one that has 28 replies so far........

Written By: aja675 on 08/26/17 at 9:32 pm

I know my age goes against me (since i'm only 18), but I would even be open to doing it as well. Because I live in Australia, most members are generally offline when I go on the site, so the forums aren't monitored as such.
Admittedly, I could relate, and it's at night when my posts actually get replied to. Like, in America, what is the middle of the afternoon here is the middle of the night there.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/26/17 at 10:11 pm

I would volunteer to be a moderator. Despite being 18, I'm heavily experienced when it comes to tech and computers. I have done coding classes and I am often online past midnight Eastern Standard Time.

Written By: nally on 08/26/17 at 10:39 pm

I just reported the one that has 28 replies so far........

There are TWO spammards on now, both with monikers starting with "Donald." And it appears both of em have been reported, based on the replies I see here (and the negative karmae that have been given to said spam jerks).

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/26/17 at 10:44 pm

I think this is the worst spam attack inthe00s has ever experienced.

Written By: nally on 08/26/17 at 10:48 pm

Agreed. Makes me wonder what we ever did to deserve it? (And why we can't seem to stop them from registering.)

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/26/17 at 10:54 pm

I would volunteer to be a moderator. Despite being 18, I'm heavily experienced when it comes to tech and computers. I have done coding classes and I am often online past midnight Eastern Standard Time.

I support you, dude. You'd be exciting to because I know you would liven up the place.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/26/17 at 10:55 pm

Agreed. Makes me wonder what we ever did to deserve it? (And why we can't seem to stop them from registering.)

I'm not sure. I'd say it's just due to the spammers somehow becoming aware of this website and since it is an active community, it probably presents itself as being a good target. I think we really need a CATCHA system, so that it deters these people from creating accounts on here. Seeing so many spam posts really isn't a good look. It could discourage other people from wanting to join the forums. Either way, something really has to be done about it. It should be the number one priority on this website, in my opinion.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/26/17 at 11:04 pm

I support you, dude. You'd be exciting to because I know you would liven up the place.

Thanks man :).

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/26/17 at 11:06 pm

I'm not sure. I'd say it's just due to the spammers somehow becoming aware of this website and since it is an active community, it probably presents itself as being a good target. I think we really need a CATCHA system, so that it deters these people from creating accounts on here. Seeing so many spam posts really isn't a good look. It could discourage other people from wanting to join the forums. Either way, something really has to be done about it. It should be the number one priority on this website, in my opinion.

I'm with you. Something really does need to be done. The admin should just give the CATCHA system a chance anyway.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/26/17 at 11:08 pm

I'm with you. Something really does need to be done. The admin should just give the CATCHA system a chance anyway.

I agree.

Written By: nally on 08/27/17 at 12:22 am

I think so too.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/17 at 2:59 pm

This has gone way out of control.  :o

Written By: Dude111 on 08/27/17 at 3:42 pm

I deleted another on mauisun today...

Its not even worth blocking the account there,I JUST DELETE THE MESSAGE BECAUSE THEY JUST CREATE A NEW ONE EACH TIME!! (They dont usually use the same account more than once wheather its 1 or 19 posts..... It seems once they logout,thats it...They simply create another account)

Written By: annimal on 08/27/17 at 3:44 pm

I'm sure they just do whatever to get whatever up

Written By: Dude111 on 08/27/17 at 3:45 pm

Ya and they are just posting crap!!!!

Nothing worth seeing.........

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/17 at 4:13 pm

No, this isn't the worst.

-There was one that almost brought the entire board down.  :o :o :o

-There was another one where this person posted a  nasty, disgusting pic all over the board and even sent it via PMs to many, many members.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/17 at 4:42 pm

-There was another one where this person posted a  nasty, disgusting pic all over the board and even sent it via PMs to many, many members.

Cat
Very shocking that was!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/27/17 at 4:48 pm

Very shocking that was!

Yeah, you remember that one.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/28/17 at 7:09 am

No, this isn't the worst.

-There was one that almost brought the entire board down.  :o :o :o

Cat

When did this happen? ???

Written By: Elor on 08/28/17 at 12:42 pm

When did this happen? ???
In the past. ;)
(yeah I know, very helpful and funny...) :-[

Written By: nally on 08/29/17 at 6:31 pm

I think maybe the admins should go through the memberlist again and weed out all the spam bots (before they become spammers), like they've been doing from time to time.

I just noticed another one on the Who's Online list a couple minutes ago. (He didn't post anything that we could see, but he could still come back later and go on a spamming spree.)

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/30/17 at 8:59 pm

Most people don't even see most of the spam that gets posted here.  A lot of it ends up in the new member forum that zero post members see but no one else does.  That approach was pretty effective for several years at keeping it at bay. 

Unfortunately the spammers evolve and it's no longer enough. 

The new SMF software is supposed to have reCaptcha built into it, but since that's the most popular recaptcha in use, I doubt it will slow them down much.

Removing zero post members does not help much because a spammer isn't going to wait a few days or weeks to post on the site.

Using the report tool is more effective than a personal message BTW.  If you send me a PM I usually end up reading those before I even get into the moderation tool, so it just slows me down.  Especially if there's no link to follow.

Written By: Dude111 on 08/30/17 at 11:44 pm

You could put all new members ON MODERATION buddy (If the staff doesnt mind .. it does make thier job harder)

Have you thought of that??? :)

Written By: nally on 08/31/17 at 11:50 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22603

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/17 at 11:52 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22603

Yep...f*ck that spammer >:(.

Written By: nally on 08/31/17 at 11:56 pm

I already reported him. 8-P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/01/17 at 12:00 am

That's good. However, we all know that more needs to be done to combat spammers.

Written By: nally on 09/01/17 at 12:00 am

That's good. However, we all know that more needs to be done to combat spammers.

Yes indeed, which is why we've proposed the idea of more moderators to be here at more hours of the day.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/01/17 at 12:01 am

Yes indeed, which is why we've proposed the idea of more moderators to be here at more hours of the day.

This needs to happen ASAP.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/17 at 12:11 am

Just in case. I have done likewise.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/17 at 12:13 am

So far only 26 from that spammer, usually it is in blocks of 30 each time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/17 at 7:12 am

This needs to happen ASAP.

Written By: Dude111 on 09/01/17 at 1:08 pm

I just deleted 62 on mauisun,all from the same user!!!

I love it.... Takes them 1 hour probably to post all that,takes me 2 seconds to clear the bases of thier crap!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/17 at 1:16 pm

I love it.... Takes them 1 hour probably to post all that,takes me 2 seconds to clear the bases of thier crap!!!
Oh the power!

Written By: violet_shy on 09/01/17 at 2:24 pm

Why do they keep doing that!? They're going to be reported and blocked eventually. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/17 at 2:36 pm

Why do they keep doing that!? They're going to be reported and blocked eventually. ::)
It is similar to cold calling on the phone, trying to get people to buy their products.

Written By: nally on 09/01/17 at 4:41 pm

It is similar to cold calling on the phone, trying to get people to buy their products.

yes, telemarketers are essentially the phone equivalent of spam. ::)

Written By: Elor on 09/01/17 at 4:56 pm

Setting up a bot that can spam thousands of sites simultaneously isn't difficult and doesn't take much time as far as I know. You put the message together and the bot does the rest and registers with every forum it can find and starts spamming. Someone on some board will see the posts and be stupid enough to click on the links and there is the "mission accomplished". :(

Written By: Howard on 09/01/17 at 5:28 pm

Yes definitely!

Written By: violet_shy on 09/01/17 at 6:03 pm

Setting up a bot that can spam thousands of sites simultaneously isn't difficult and doesn't take much time as far as I know. You put the message together and the bot does the rest and registers with every forum it can find and starts spamming. Someone on some board will see the posts and be stupid enough to click on the links and there is the "mission accomplished". :(

Oh...I didn't know that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/17 at 4:07 pm

As per usual, the current spammer, like the previous, has paused at 30 posts sent, so if that is the method, it must be the same operator each time for the bots/

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/17 at 4:23 pm

As per usual, the current spammer, like the previous, has paused at 30 posts sent, so if that is the method, it must be the same operator each time for the bots/
And we have another!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/17 at 4:55 pm

And we have another!
The same modus operandi, 30 posts then runs away!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/17 at 5:10 pm

Now a third one.

I always thought that work was not allowed on Labor Day?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/04/17 at 5:12 pm

We need new and active moderators NOW!!! >:( >:( >:(

I volunteer myself to be a moderator.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/05/17 at 1:49 am

I volunteer myself as a moderator as well. Because of the time zone differences, most members are offline when I go online, so the forums basically go unmonitored. I would be more than happy to monitor the forums during those times. But of course, it's up to Chucky what he wants to do. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/17 at 1:54 am

I volunteer myself as a moderator as well. Because of the time zone differences, most members are offline when I go online, so the forums basically go unmonitored. I would be more than happy to monitor the forums during those times. But of course, it's up to Chucky what he wants to do. :)
Have you PMed Chucky, for he may miss this reply?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/05/17 at 2:35 am

Have you PMed Chucky, for he may miss this reply?

I could, but I don't want to sound pushy. I'm just putting my hand up in case Chucky does decide to appoint new moderators. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/17 at 2:46 am

I could, but I don't want to sound pushy. I'm just putting my hand up in case Chucky does decide to appoint new moderators. :)
I feel that there is no harm in asking, if the answer is no, at least you tried.

Written By: Dude111 on 09/05/17 at 9:23 am

I think Chuck needs to put new users ON MODERATION if the staff doesnt mind doing that.. (It will make thier job harder)

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/05/17 at 10:01 am

Its not about rather if he wants to. This site NEEDS! new moderators. I'd be all for it if I had a community that care about my site.

Go with this instinct. This topic basically is a PM.

Written By: karen on 09/05/17 at 11:43 am

One thing I noticed was that the spammers always have a Yahoo instant messenger account linked.  When I was looking through the registered members section I noticed lots of people with similar names, Yahoo messenger links and zero posts.  I wonder if all (most) of these are spam bots waiting to strike

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/17 at 11:44 am

One thing I noticed was that the spammers always have a Yahoo instant messenger account linked.  When I was looking through the registered members section I noticed lots of people with similar names, Yahoo messenger links and zero posts.  I wonder if all (most) of these are spam bots waiting to strike
Cull them now!

Written By: Howard on 09/05/17 at 3:06 pm

Was he the guy selling ugly shoes? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/17 at 3:15 pm

Was he the guy selling ugly shoes? ???
Yes, it was the same product.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/17 at 3:42 pm

We should put the spammers in jail.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsGbdARuF8EJbUQvoMRaAtk4LBa3JKJsjs5ecfpLF9Osli_eaPjA

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/17 at 3:43 pm

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsGbdARuF8EJbUQvoMRaAtk4LBa3JKJsjs5ecfpLF9Osli_eaPjA
If malicious, and caught they can be!

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/17 at 3:46 pm

If malicious, and caught they can be!

And throw away the keys?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTndMGdNkFoPgG8fh7TXMVgWn1oNz9k7WVTCHxbph_coV9yx9Fg

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/17 at 3:49 pm

And throw away the keys?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTndMGdNkFoPgG8fh7TXMVgWn1oNz9k7WVTCHxbph_coV9yx9Fg
O0

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/17 at 3:54 pm

Put them in a time out. A less severe punishment.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnzuQaYEMMbm9Osnxrmfl0Jrm3OOhJyqpbpcOBmHxBL_w1W-oK

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/17 at 3:56 pm

Put them in a time out. A less severe punishment.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnzuQaYEMMbm9Osnxrmfl0Jrm3OOhJyqpbpcOBmHxBL_w1W-oK
Sit them on the naughty step!

https://justmebeingcurious.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/naughty-step.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/17 at 3:59 pm

Sit them on the naughty step!

https://justmebeingcurious.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/naughty-step.jpg

Or, in the time out corner.

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/justin-harper-timeout-530x605.jpg

Written By: nally on 09/05/17 at 6:05 pm

Its not about rather if he wants to. This site NEEDS! new moderators. I'd be all for it if I had a community that care about my site.
Go with this instinct. This topic basically is a PM.

Amen to that. I for one certainly care about this site, having been a member here for a very long time, and I don't wanna see it overrun by spammage.

Written By: nally on 09/05/17 at 6:07 pm

I've noticed that sorta thing too over the years. They also have that MSN messenger (colorful butterfly icon thingy) on their profiles as well.

Cull them now!

Good idea!

And throw away the keys?

This too! :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/05/17 at 8:13 pm

not sure if I should make a big announcement, but I did move CatwomanofV up to Lead Mod status.  I'll try and figure out who else should get added this month as well.

Written By: Dude111 on 09/05/17 at 8:25 pm

Thank you Chuck,its not easy at all and im sorry we are having this problem...

Written By: 2001 on 09/05/17 at 8:36 pm

not sure if I should make a big announcement, but I did move CatwomanofV up to Lead Mod status.  I'll try and figure out who else should get added this month as well.

She'll make a great mod! :D

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/05/17 at 9:16 pm

She's barely active anymore, man. She might log in and find herself declining the offer.

On a positive not, hopefully once she realizes, she'll be active if she isn't already.

Written By: 2001 on 09/05/17 at 9:24 pm

She's barely active anymore, man. She might log in and find herself declining the offer.

On a positive not, hopefully once she realizes, she'll be active if she isn't already.

That's true. She pops in during the daytime every now and then. At least it's something, though.

Written By: nally on 09/05/17 at 10:24 pm

Great move. O0

I agree!

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/06/17 at 12:14 am

Good decision and congratulations CatwomanofV for the new role. :)

Written By: Howard on 09/06/17 at 5:39 am

And throw away the keys?

good idea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/17 at 6:18 am

Good decision and congratulations CatwomanofV for the new role. :)
Congrats for Cat!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/17 at 12:59 pm

It is true that I took a few months hiatus from the board but for the past month or so, even though I don't always posts, I have been on EVERY DAY!

I have been asked to be a mod for many years now-first by Hairspray. I know you don't remember her but there are a few who do. I was also asked to be a mod by both Tam & Red Ant. I have always resisted. Chucky did not JUST make me a mod without my knowledge. I realize that this board does need a mod-if for nothing else but to remove the megaspam that has been invading, I told Chucky that I was willing to do that.

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/06/17 at 1:16 pm

Mods get alerts via e-mail I believe so that shouldn't be a problem anyway.  I think Cat still checks in most days even if she doesn't post

mta: See^

Written By: nally on 09/06/17 at 2:11 pm

It is true that I took a few months hiatus from the board but for the past month or so, even though I don't always posts, I have been on EVERY DAY!

I have been asked to be a mod for many years now-first by Hairspray. I know you don't remember her but there are a few who do. I was also asked to be a mod by both Tam & Red Ant. I have always resisted. Chucky did not JUST make me a mod without my knowledge. I realize that this board does need a mod-if for nothing else but to remove the megaspam that has been invading, I told Chucky that I was willing to do that.

Cat

I remember Hairspray, even from the old board.

Congrats on your new status!

Written By: loki 13 on 09/06/17 at 5:25 pm

Cat

This sounds like me. I rarely post but I am on every day.

Congratulations Cat, I think you'll do a great job.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/06/17 at 6:54 pm

You're going to be an awesome lead moderator CatwomanofV 8).

Written By: Dude111 on 09/06/17 at 8:01 pm

Well thank you sweetheart. Your a GOOD member and a very nice addition to the team :)

I hope you have been well!!!

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/06/17 at 8:40 pm

Cat

I got you. I feel a relief now. Haha

Written By: Howard on 09/07/17 at 7:50 am

I remember Hairspray, even from the old board.

Congrats on your new status!

Whatever became of her?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/17 at 3:01 pm

You're going to be an awesome lead moderator CatwomanofV 8).
Have you noticed that since Cat has become LM, there has been no spammers, has she frighten them away?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/07/17 at 4:32 pm

Have you noticed that since Cat has become LM, there has been no spammers, has she frighten them away?

Maybe...it wouldn't surprise me.

Written By: annimal on 09/07/17 at 5:08 pm

um Philip , you think you can keep your mouth shut about  :-X

Written By: nally on 09/07/17 at 5:45 pm

Whatever became of her?

I am not sure; it has been more than a decade since HS last showed up here. It's anybody's guess. ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/17 at 6:26 pm

Yup, that's right. They are all afraid of me. BWWHAAHAAAAA!!!!

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/08/17 at 4:14 pm

I am not sure; it has been more than a decade since HS last showed up here. It's anybody's guess. ???

last time she was here was quite a long time ago.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/08/17 at 5:10 pm

You shut the window up on them.  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

http://abload.de/img/theouyaneybv.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/17 at 3:26 pm

There could be two potentials online right now... ?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/11/17 at 3:29 pm

Chytsgew is a spammer. STOP the bot before it goes on a rampage! >:(.

Written By: 2001 on 09/11/17 at 5:04 pm

Cat must've dealt with that in record speed. She also zapped that one racist post. We won't need a second mod at this rate.  8) You're doing great, Cat :D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/11/17 at 5:09 pm

Cat must've dealt with that in record speed. She also zapped that one racist post. We won't need a second mod at this rate.  8) You're doing great, Cat :D

I agree...she is doing excellent! 8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/11/17 at 5:09 pm

She also zapped that one racist post.

When? Where? Who? What? :o

Written By: annimal on 09/11/17 at 5:13 pm

Me, it was my fault one for not using a smiley when I first sent it.  I probably shouldn't have sent it at all.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/11/17 at 5:43 pm

As mod, I only have done ONE thing so far-and that was removing Ann's post. When I saw it, I asked her to modify it but that didn't work so it was removed.

As for the spammers-so far so good. I guess I am STILL scaring them off.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: annimal on 09/11/17 at 6:15 pm

you're just doing you're job cat. I have no problem with that :\'(

Written By: nally on 09/11/17 at 10:30 pm

As mod, I only have done ONE thing so far-and that was removing Ann's post. When I saw it, I asked her to modify it but that didn't work so it was removed.

Cat

Good work. O0

Written By: Howard on 09/12/17 at 3:09 pm

I agree...she is doing excellent! 8)

I agree, keep up the good work. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/17 at 12:22 am

Cat
I am hoping that yesterday was an easy day for you?

Written By: nally on 09/18/17 at 12:33 am

I think user "ZnmZew" is another potential spammer; he's at least a bot...who knows if he's ready to attack or not. :o

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/18/17 at 12:37 am

I think user "ZnmZew" is another potential spammer; he's at least a bot...who knows if he's ready to attack or not. :o

Well he better not! >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/17 at 2:54 am

I am on the watchout!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/17 at 1:11 pm

I am on the watchout!

More importantly, I AM on the watchout.

I banned my first poster today-at least I THINK I did-if I did it correctly. I'm still trying to learn this Lead Mod gig.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/17 at 1:14 pm

I banned my first poster today-at least I THINK I did-if I did it correctly. I'm still trying to learn this Lead Mod gig.

Cat
It will come with practice.

Written By: karen on 09/18/17 at 2:59 pm

Cat

http://www.flamingtoast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ban-hammer-newB.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/18/17 at 3:07 pm

Yup. Don't mess with me now because I have the POWER!!!! BWAAAHAAAA ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/17 at 3:21 pm

Hammer Time!

Written By: annimal on 09/18/17 at 5:24 pm

Yup. Don't mess with me now because I have the POWER!!!! BWAAAHAAAA ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

super cat

Written By: Howard on 09/19/17 at 5:26 am

Cat

You'll do fine Cat. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/17 at 1:41 pm

You'll do fine Cat. :)

Thanks, Howard.

Cat

Written By: Dude111 on 09/19/17 at 7:16 pm

We think your doing a good job honey,not to worry :)

Its exciting being able do all that huh?? -- You can edit my reply if ya want,etc.... :)

Written By: nally on 09/25/17 at 11:58 am

Cat

Once again, good work. O0

Written By: nally on 09/25/17 at 11:59 am

Anyways, I think this user also appears to be a bot waiting to strike: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22699

He needs to be stopped before he can go on a rampage.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/17 at 11:59 am

Anyways, I think this user also appears to be a bot waiting to strike: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22699

I was wondering about him/she/it too.

Written By: karen on 09/25/17 at 3:37 pm

ALthough I did mention the possibility of watching whether certain accounts might be spam bots I think we have be wary of starting a kind of witch hunt.  Otherwise it might turn into thinking every new member is a spammer and that's the last thing we need

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/17 at 3:38 pm

ALthough I did mention the possibility of watching whether certain accounts might be spam bots I think we have be wary of starting a kind of witch hunt.  Otherwise it might turn into thinking every new member is a spammer and that's the last thing we need
The only true way of knowing if spammer or not, is to wait for the evidence? Which we do not want to see.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/25/17 at 4:37 pm

Exactly. I remember a time when every newbie was thought of with suspicion thinking that it could have been a certain banned poster. Because of that, this place turned into a very toxic environment and we lost a lot of members.

The only true way of knowing if spammer or not, is to wait for the evidence? Which we do not want to see.

I am NOT going to do anything to anyone unless they start spamming. No need to start suspecting people. The spammers will rear their ugly heads soon enough and I will jump on them. That is now my job.

Cat 

Written By: Howard on 09/25/17 at 5:56 pm

or seeing if it's a strange account name.

Written By: nally on 09/25/17 at 6:04 pm

or seeing if it's a strange account name.

Strange account names are not the only criteria for bots. A name may look strange, but it can actually be a safe user.

It's more along the lines of what's in the profile, such as links to web sites that may harm your pc, or even company sites that sell stuff. There are certain ways to tell.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/17 at 10:33 pm

Strange account names are not the only criteria for bots. A name may look strange, but it can actually be a safe user.

It's more along the lines of what's in the profile, such as links to web sites that may harm your pc, or even company sites that sell stuff. There are certain ways to tell.
One clue is the country declared, how many members do we have in Afghanistan?

Written By: Howard on 09/26/17 at 7:31 am

One clue is the country declared, how many members do we have in Afghanistan?

I don't know of anybody who lives there. ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/17 at 8:19 am

Anyone who is anyone there, would had left by now?

Written By: aja675 on 09/26/17 at 8:26 am

So going by the logic of this conspiracy theory, Afghanistan doesn't exist? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielefeld_Conspiracy

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/17 at 11:43 am

So going by the logic of this conspiracy theory, Afghanistan doesn't exist? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielefeld_Conspiracy
...but that conspiracy theory, as it states, started on April 1st...

btw, Afghanistan is not mention? It is about the existence of a German city.

Written By: aja675 on 09/27/17 at 7:36 am

...but that conspiracy theory, as it states, started on April 1st...

btw, Afghanistan is not mention? It is about the existence of a German city.
It's just that by the logic of the conspiracy, Afghanistan doesn't exist either.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/17 at 10:37 am

It's just that by the logic of the conspiracy, Afghanistan doesn't exist either.
Remember it was first introduce on April 1st?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/17 at 11:27 am

Ok, since I have taken this job reluctantly, I have receive reports of posts almost daily. Some are legit but others in my opinion are just nonsense. So, I created a simple Dos & Don'ts list for reporting.

DO Report:

-Spam
-Offensive posts

DON'T Report:

-Decadeology
-Duplicate threads.

I understand that you are just trying to help but with all those nonsense reports coming in, it makes it harder for me to get to the legit ones.

Thank you.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/17 at 11:36 am

Ok, since I have taken this job reluctantly, I have receive reports of posts almost daily. Some are legit but others in my opinion are just nonsense. So, I created a simple Dos & Don'ts list for reporting.

DO Report:

-Spam
-Offensive posts

DON'T Report:

-Decadeology
-Duplicate threads.

I understand that you are just trying to help but with all those nonsense reports coming in, it makes it harder for me to get to the legit ones.

Thank you.

Cat
Trying to help, and now noted.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/17 at 1:08 pm

DO Report:

-Spam
-Offensive posts

DON'T Report:

-Decadeology
-Duplicate threads.

Thank you.

Cat

Thanks, I understand.

Written By: nally on 10/04/17 at 8:58 pm

I understand too.

Meanwhile, user "ScottScorE" made a post that pretty much screams spam... so I think that deserves reporting. (It's in Song Lyrics, a section that seems to be targeted regularly by spam users.)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22731
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56243.0#msg3621433

Written By: karen on 10/05/17 at 12:10 pm

I understand too.

Meanwhile, user "ScottScorE" made a post that pretty much screams spam... so I think that deserves reporting. (It's in Song Lyrics, a section that seems to be targeted regularly by spam users.)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22731
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56243.0#msg3621433

did you report it?

Written By: nally on 10/05/17 at 5:54 pm

did you report it?

Yes.

The post is gone, but the user still remains.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/17 at 6:31 pm

Yes.

The user was banned.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/17 at 10:18 am

Yes.

Yes, user and it's profile still remains!

Written By: Dude111 on 10/06/17 at 10:53 am

The user WAS NOT DELETED they were just blocked :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/17 at 1:10 pm

He was banned but for some reason his profile remains I don't know why.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/17 at 1:12 pm

He was banned but for some reason his profile remains I don't know why.

Cat
You, of course, have tried to removed it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/17 at 3:13 pm

Ok, I think I FINALLY got rid of him once and for all.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/17 at 3:36 pm

Cat
O0

Written By: Howard on 10/07/17 at 3:22 pm

Cat

wonderful. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/17 at 3:58 pm

Cat
You are doing grand!

Written By: nally on 10/14/17 at 5:38 pm

Another one has been spotted! And this time he has made an actual spam post.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22798

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/17 at 6:35 am

It's still there!

Written By: nally on 10/15/17 at 7:22 am

It's still there!

I should have privately reported it, if no one else has done so already.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/17 at 7:23 am

Ii have only done the usual except reporting privately.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/17 at 8:32 am

Over the last two previous days there has been 46 new members registering for these boards. Can these be more bots?

Written By: annimal on 10/15/17 at 11:52 am

why worry?

Written By: karen on 10/15/17 at 11:53 am

This is the first thing you should do.

What's the point of bleating here or giving out negative karma/fudge if you don't report them?

Cat/Chucky have better things to do than check the fudge register to see if someone has been posting spam.  The report to moderator function is there for a reason!

Written By: annimal on 10/15/17 at 11:58 am

Why is this thread here anyway? 

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/17 at 12:30 pm

why worry?
The whole board will be meshed up with spam.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/17 at 12:30 pm

This is the first thing you should do.

The report to moderator function is there for a reason!
That is the first thing I do.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/17 at 12:51 pm

Why is this thread here anyway? 
To make awareness of this problem in all our members.

Written By: annimal on 10/15/17 at 1:19 pm

ok  I myself would remind people to report  spam in the report thread

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/15/17 at 3:56 pm

Over the last two previous days there has been 46 new members registering for these boards. Can these be more bots?
...and at the moment it reads 17 for today?

Written By: karen on 10/15/17 at 4:12 pm

That is the first thing I do.

Having re-read your post I realise that is what you said you had done, but on first reading I thought you had only given out negative karma

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/15/17 at 9:35 pm

Sorry, I was away all day. There were 3 people reported it and by the time I got to it, it was already gone. Don't know who took care of it.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 10/15/17 at 9:45 pm

I know we shouldn't accuse an account of being a bot before they've even posted, but this one has a spam link in his signature before he's even posted anything! :o

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=22819

Written By: nally on 10/15/17 at 10:02 pm

I know we shouldn't accuse an account of being a bot before they've even posted, but this one has a spam link in his signature before he's even posted anything! :o

Now he seems to have one post to his name.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/17 at 5:46 am

I have a feeling it might be.

Written By: nally on 10/16/17 at 7:23 am

I have a feeling it might be.

I still wish I knew what was causing all them to register. There are periods when they do so at an alarming rate.

To make awareness of this problem in all our members.

Spammage has no place here anyways. It is a clear violation of Rule #1.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/16/17 at 11:42 am

Now he seems to have one post to his name.

He has been banned.

I have said this before and I will say it again. I am NOT going to ban anyone unless they start posting spam. Innocent until proven guilty. The problem with all this speculation, it will lead to a witch hunt and we really don't want that to happen. Been there, done that.

I am here most days (I know I wasn't here yesterday) and I am keeping on top of the spammers. Many times I have even caught the spammers BEFORE anyone had a chance to report them.

Cat in on the prowl.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Elor on 10/17/17 at 5:43 am

it will lead to a witch hunt and we really don't want that to happen.

Hmm...some personal interest in not having a witch hunt? ;) :D ;D
https://s6.postimg.org/ho8axj0ld/Unbenannt.jpg

Written By: nally on 02/08/18 at 5:57 pm

I guess we got spammed again last night... user's account has been nixed but all his posts still remain.

I pm-ed Cat earlier about this.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/18 at 6:01 pm

It had been quiet lately in terms of spam and then today I got rid of 3 spammers. But, one I managed to miss a few posts. I THINK I got them all now but if I have missed any, please let me know.

Cat

Written By: Dude111 on 02/09/18 at 12:58 am

Stupid essay site was spammed again last night on mauisun..... I deleted the users signature but left the account as they posted a legit reply on a thread..... (If they put thier spam sig back,they will be deleted)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/20 at 2:32 pm

Yeah, I know this is an old thread but I HAVE to share this with everyone.

Some of you may know that there is a section that only newbies can post. This is to keep spammers from the rest of the board. Unfortunately sometimes they slip through but most of the time, I can catch them before that happens.

Today, there was one spammer who posted 3 times. The first one, he said that he & his friends operate a business in Baltimore MD and signed it, "Best, Tim."

The second post said that he and his family operate a business in College Park, MD and signed it, "Cheers, Antoinette."

The third (and last) post said that he and his family operate a business in Arnold, MD and signed it, "Best Regards, Marty."

All three of them included links to whatever they were trying to sell.

I guess this person didn't realize that all of us can tell that all three of these posts are from the SAME account.

I just thought this was just too funny not to share.

At least they weren't written in Russian. 

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 6:59 am

Yeah, I know this is an old thread but I HAVE to share this with everyone.

Some of you may know that there is a section that only newbies can post. This is to keep spammers from the rest of the board. Unfortunately sometimes they slip through but most of the time, I can catch them before that happens.

Today, there was one spammer who posted 3 times. The first one, he said that he & his friends operate a business in Baltimore MD and signed it, "Best, Tim."

The second post said that he and his family operate a business in College Park, MD and signed it, "Cheers, Antoinette."

The third (and last) post said that he and his family operate a business in Arnold, MD and signed it, "Best Regards, Marty."

All three of them included links to whatever they were trying to sell.

I guess this person didn't realize that all of us can tell that all three of these posts are from the SAME account.

I just thought this was just too funny not to share.

At least they weren't written in Russian. 

Cat
Are these spammers bored at home with nothing else to do during lockdown?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/20 at 3:34 pm

Are these spammers bored at home with nothing else to do during lockdown?

Don't know but I had two from Russia and Ukraine today. It is like playing whack-a-mole. For every one I get rid of, two appear.

Cat

Written By: Dude111 on 07/28/20 at 11:25 am

I still have reg on admin approval on mauisun Cat...... Nothing but spammers trying to register!! (I dont know if we were exposed to a spam bot net or what)

Written By: jaminhealth on 10/26/20 at 3:26 pm

I don't even know what this spam and troll stuff is and I've been accused of it, when I join a forum it's to share my info and gain from others....

So much anger out there today more than ever....

Written By: Dude111 on 10/27/20 at 7:54 am

Yes its very sad.........

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/20 at 8:00 am

Spam, what spam? I have not received any unsolicited commercial emails on these boards.

Written By: jaminhealth on 11/20/20 at 1:28 pm

I  don't even know what spam and trolling really is.  I post what I know works in my life and like to share it with those who want to improve also.

If what I get from so many is spam, I delete or read some but usually delete and not even open message.....so much anger from so many.....use the delete button.

I now and then buy a can of spam and fry up with eggs....

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/20/20 at 1:45 pm

I  don't even know what spam and trolling really is.  I post what I know works in my life and like to share it with those who want to improve also.

If what I get from so many is spam, I delete or read some but usually delete and not even open message.....so much anger from so many.....use the delete button.

I now and then buy a can of spam and fry up with eggs....

For someone so into health I am surprised you east Spam which is high in fat, sodium, nitrate and nitrite content. By the way, did you ever read Adele Davis's books? She was really into supplements ,and, for some odd reason, powdered milk. She was everywhere in the 70s and on every talk show. She was later discredited as a "food faddist" and died of cancer.

Written By: jaminhealth on 11/20/20 at 2:06 pm

Listen at this point in my life, I eat stuff I would not normally eat....I buy a can of spam now and then and enjoy the hail out of it....not often as I have not had a can in over 6 months.... And guess what I enjoy a gluten free pizza now and then.

I'm not here to defend Spam but it's been a staple for millions for before the great depression.  When a person is hungry they eat what they can get.  I understand it's a main food in the Hawaii islands...

And I also know that when one consumes a heavier amount of sodium, taking some potassium tablets, will help to balance things out....did you know that Voice?

BUT, no pasta or breads in my house for probably 10 yrs.

I can't shop so I have to order stuff and keep things on hand in my stock.

And yes I know of Adele Davis.

Written By: nally on 11/23/20 at 4:38 pm

Spam, what spam? I have not received any unsolicited commercial emails on these boards.

Neither have I.  But I did receive one spamalicious PM more than a decade ago. And I used the "report to admin" link on it and the user was taken care of pronto.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/20 at 4:39 pm

Neither have I.  But I did receive one spamalicious PM more than a decade ago. And I used the "report to admin" link on it and the user was taken care of pronto.
I once got a PM with a dodgy photo, and oh how we all joked about it at the time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/20 at 12:37 pm

This is a new one. The spammer claimed to be from the Philippines but the IP was from Russia. And the message was written in Italian. I guess they tried to cover all bases?

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/27/20 at 12:49 pm

This is a new one. The spammer claimed to be from the Philippines but the IP was from Russia. And the message was written in Italian. I guess they tried to cover all bases?

Cat

Some of them will do anything, I guess? ::)

Written By: Dude111 on 01/03/21 at 11:58 pm

One day on EMD Cat I logged on and there was spam on almost every base!! (I was worried the admin would happen to login and see that,get mad;take the site down!!!)

He didnt though and the mods had it cleared the next day :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/21 at 11:34 am

Cat
Just cull them!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/21 at 2:40 pm

Just cull them!

Like I said, it is like playing Whack-a-Mole. For every one I get rid of, 3 appear.

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/25/21 at 12:11 pm

Ooh, the latest user (http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=27914) has a very suspicious moniker :o :o

S/he/it hasn't posted anything yet, but it should be looked into.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/21 at 12:14 pm

Ooh, the latest user (http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=27914) has a very suspicious moniker :o :o

Oh dear, on name alone, cull it!

Written By: 2001 on 01/25/21 at 12:18 pm

LMAOO sorry but I laughed ;D

Written By: karen on 01/25/21 at 1:06 pm

LMAOO sorry but I laughed ;D

It’s not exactly being incognito is it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/25/21 at 1:53 pm

They are now gone. A lot of these spammers will sign up and then days, weeks or even months later will post. I haven't been going after the bogus accounts aggressively because it just takes too long. I could spend all day, every day cleaning out these accounts and I MAY get them all in about a week or so but the next day, there would be more. So, I wait until they post. There are some where they come from the same IP (usually proxies) and I zap all of the ones using that IP.

A few years ago when I was trying to clean out the bogus accounts, there were some IPs that had over 100 accounts on them.  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/25/21 at 3:12 pm

Is it someone we know? ???

Written By: nally on 01/25/21 at 3:29 pm

Is it someone we know? ???

No. The moniker itself had the word "Porn" in it. Not to worry, it's been expunged.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/21 at 2:08 pm

Got a spammer today who started a thread titled: Hi there The I am Glad to become here

It just cracked me up. Had to share before it got deleted forever.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/21 at 2:13 pm

Got a spammer today who started a thread titled: Hi there The I am Glad to become here

It just cracked me up. Had to share before it got deleted forever.

Cat
Goodbye spammer!

Written By: Elor on 11/02/21 at 11:42 pm

Hi there The I am Glad to become here

I English much! ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/03/21 at 4:12 am

I English much! ;)

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/21 at 1:28 pm

I English much! ;)

When I read that to Carlos, I said the exact thing. Great minds?  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: nally on 02/15/23 at 10:53 pm

They are now gone. A lot of these spammers will sign up and then days, weeks or even months later will post. I haven't been going after the bogus accounts aggressively because it just takes too long. I could spend all day, every day cleaning out these accounts and I MAY get them all in about a week or so but the next day, there would be more. So, I wait until they post. There are some where they come from the same IP (usually proxies) and I zap all of the ones using that IP.

A few years ago when I was trying to clean out the bogus accounts, there were some IPs that had over 100 accounts on them.  :o :o :o

Cat

And now it seems like spammers are on the loose tonight. :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/23 at 7:20 am

They come in waves. I zapped 3 or 4 in the last 24 hours. I try to get to them on a timely basis. I'm not signed in 24/7 so just report them. I will get the report when I log on.

And once again EVERYONE DO NOT I repeat DO NOT respond to them. It makes my life harder getting g rid of them.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...