inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My survey about Generations

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/09/16 at 8:05 pm

Hi. I am in my final year of High School and for my major project in my Society & Culture elective, I need to conduct a questionnaire as part of my primary research. My research is based on how generations do not necessarily represent the traits a certain age group may have and the impact of being labelled as belonging to a certain generation, as well as the attitudes/behaviours which stem from it. Ultimately, my research is aiming to highlight how generations are not "set in stone" and that their relevance can be questioned.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could please fill out my questionnaire. My research project makes up 40% of my mark for my High School Certificate, so if possible, I am trying to ask as many people as possible. Eight people have already answered the questionnaire so far. You do not need to provide your name or full identity. Your personal details and responses are anonymous and will remain confidential. If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you.

https://goo.gl/forms/Q5j4PEWkgEs9IEIH2

Subject: Re: My survey about Generations

Written By: Elor on 11/10/16 at 5:24 am

Is this just aimed at Americans or can Europeans take part in that too?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/10/16 at 4:11 pm

Anyone can take part. :)

Written By: 2001 on 11/10/16 at 4:51 pm

Answered it :)

Btw, the "not" in the question

"Do you feel as though generations do not represent the things which you have grown up with (during childhood/adolescence) and experienced through life? Please elaborate".

confused me, since I had to try to reframe the question to answer the question in the negative i.e. the affirmative, in that I do think they represent what I grew up with ;D

Make sure to account for sampling bias!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/10/16 at 5:22 pm

"Do you feel as though generations do not represent the things which you have grown up with (during childhood/adolescence) and experienced through life? Please elaborate".

confused me, since I had to try to reframe the question to answer the question in the negative i.e. the affirmative, in that I do think they represent what I grew up with ;D

Make sure to account for sampling bias!

He's trying to ask if generations represent what we grew up with.

Written By: Elor on 11/10/16 at 5:40 pm

I tried to take it but I have to admit I don't know enough about  generations and I often times had no clue what to answer so I aborted. I believe we don't do this categorizing here in Germany. On the other hand I've always been a rather secluded loner who has no idea of pop culture anyway...so maybe we do and I just don't know it....wouldn't be the first time....Maybe I should get some friends and experience life..... :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/16 at 5:44 pm

I tried to take it but I have to admit I don't know enough about  generations and I often times had no clue what to answer so I aborted. I believe we don't do this categorizing here in Germany.
The same applies in the UK, and I know nothing on generations...

I gave up on it too.

Written By: Elor on 11/10/16 at 5:54 pm

The same applies in the UK, and I know nothing on generations...

I gave up on it too.

However that might actually be some usable data for him after all as he now knows that European nations handle things differently. 8)

Written By: 2001 on 11/10/16 at 6:02 pm

He's trying to ask if generations represent what we grew up with.

Yeah, but the "not" makes it a leading question.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/10/16 at 6:13 pm

Yeah, but the "not" makes it a leading question.

Damn. I read it as "Do you feel as generations represent the things which you have grown up with (during childhood/adolescence) and experienced through life?" I didn't know it was different.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/10/16 at 6:23 pm

I did it, although, I don't understand generations well. Only found out what they were because of this site, I heard of Millenials in the past, but never paid attention.

Written By: Elor on 11/10/16 at 6:41 pm

I heard of Millenials in the past, but never paid attention.
Which is typical for your generation. :D

just kidding. ;)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/10/16 at 9:44 pm

Thanks to everyone who has completed the questionnaire so far. I really appreciate it. :)

Thanks Slowpoke. :)

Sorry about the confusion in regards to the "not". To be honest, I don't think I worded the question properly. Basically, I was trying to suggest that, because of the long timespan of generations (15+ years), people may not feel as though the generation they are placed in/view themselves as, may not represent what they grew up with during childhood and/or adolescence. If people feel as though generations do represent the things they grew up with, then it is okay for them to explain why they believe so. So if anyone interpreted the question as "Do you feel as though generations do represent the things which you have grown up with" and responded as such, that is fine as well. :)

I'm tempted to remove the "not" from the question, as it is pretty confusing and doesn't really make sense, in the scheme of things. However, if I were to remove it from the question, it would be tampering with my questionnaire, so I probably shouldn't. I do apologize for the confusion.

However that might actually be some usable data for him after all as he knows that European nations handle things differently. 8)

I do appreciate that you gave my questionnaire a go. :) If you (or anyone) need help at all with how to answer the questions, please feel free to let me know. I understood that generations may be viewed differently in other countries/continents, however I didn't realise that generations do not really apply in European nations. I apologize for that. :(

Written By: Elor on 11/11/16 at 4:30 am

I apologize for that. :(
No need to apologize. That's just cultural difference at work. :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/12/16 at 5:02 am

Just a bit of an update on my questionnaire. So far, 35 people have responded to the questionnaire, which I am really thankful for and appreciative of. However, if it's possible, I am trying to aim for at least 45-50 responses, as it would strengthen my primary research and allow me to get more of an understanding and insight, as to how people view generations.

If you haven't already, I would really appreciate it if you could please complete my questionnaire (the link to it is below). If you need help with  anything at all, please feel free to let me know. Again, I would like to thank everyone who has completed the questionnaire so far. It has helped me a lot with my research project, so I really appreciate it. :)

https://goo.gl/forms/z5ZOlDfpzahEnSfX2

Written By: Ripley on 11/13/16 at 12:32 pm

I answered it.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/13/16 at 2:30 pm

I answered it.

Thank you. :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/21/16 at 10:29 pm

A bit of an update on my questionnaire. I have received 50 responses, which is the minimum number of responses I was aiming for. Thanks to everyone who has completed the questionnaire so far. :) My questionnaire/research project isn't due until July next year, so if possible, I would really appreciate it if more people could please answer my questionnaire, as it would make my research more valid.

To be honest, I don't have a maximum number of responses in mind. The reason why I have started my research so early, is because I really want to put as much effort into my research as possible. If you haven't completed the questionnaire yet, I would really appreciate it if you could please answer the questionnaire. :) The link to it is below:

https://goo.gl/forms/0bruSTFVAbaNI8L32

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/27/17 at 11:15 pm

Due to a request, here are the poll results I have received (so far) for what people born between 1995-2000 view themselves as.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/Gen1_zpsxw28ns7w.jpg
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/Gen2_zpsszfpsmyc.jpg
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u431/SharksFan99/Gen3_zpscnftwjdg.jpg

I am still accepting responses as well. If you haven't done the questionnaire yet, I would really appreciate it if you filled it out, as it is a part of a school project which makes up 40% of my marks for the subject. The link to it is below:

https://goo.gl/forms/rUZSed0BK1Dy4xQ92

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/06/17 at 9:44 pm

Can anyone please suggest a website where I could share the link to my questionnaire, so that I might be able to receive more responses? I have shared the link on Personality Cafe a few times, but I haven't been able to find another suitable website where I could share the link to it. I have received 69 responses so far. If possible, I would like to receive a minimum of 75. Thanks to everyone who has completed the questionnaire so far. :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/12/17 at 8:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfYjGxI6AJ8

I'm tempted to also share the link to my questionnaire on YouTube videos such as the one above, but i'm not sure if it's a good idea or not. I may get a few troll responses, but there's a chance that I might receive quite a few more genuine responses, considering how many people have watched the video. I can always delete the troll responses, either way.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/30/17 at 12:36 am

My primary research for my project has finished. I received a total of 113 responses for my questionnaire. Thanks again to everyone who responded to it. :)

If anyone is interested, I can share the statistical data from my questionnaire. I won't share the long-answered responses though.

Written By: Elor on 06/04/17 at 4:06 pm

Well, that means it was a success then. Congratulations. :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/05/17 at 6:01 am

Well, that means it was a success then. Congratulations. :)

Thanks Elor. :)

Written By: #Infinity on 06/09/17 at 6:47 pm

I belong to no generation because no group wants me.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/16/17 at 1:00 am

Someone who answered my questionnaire came up with a really good idea. He suggested that it might be a good idea if I asked "respondents to list the top thing or things that they feel define theirs and other generations". Even though I have since completed my main questionnaire, I thought that was a really good idea, so I decided to create a "mini" one for that purpose.

If you don't mind, I would really appreciate it if you could please fill it out. It won't take long to do, as there are only 3 questions. ;) This "mini" questionnaire will also help with the central material in my research project. Thanks. :)

https://goo.gl/forms/WfNj5QwRulJMGCPn1

Check for new replies or respond here...