inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Independence is a myth!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 1:27 pm

So everyone has known that as soon one hits a certain age or is ready to move out, he or she must rely on him/herself because the parents (or friends) are not going to be there for you when you need support. Well I'm here to tell you all that is BS!

If it's anything, I have noticed that it's difficult to be independent even if one can do some things on his or her own. It takes collaboration to get hard work done, and it's why we are all interdependent on each other.

For example, the Civil Rights wasn't led by one person nor did he or she do all the work. It was groups of people within that movement that made those legislations happen. If you unsure, here are some articles on why independence is a myth.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/stronger-the-broken-places/201212/breaking-free-the-myth-independence

http://www.rolereboot.org/life/details/2016-04-why-independence-is-a-myth/

http://www.psychedinsanfrancisco.com/myth-independence-needy/

http://bhutto.org/Acrobat/Myth%20of%20Independence.pdf

https://tifwe.org/the-myth-of-independence/

Subject: Re: Independence is a myth!

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 1:52 pm

I only read the first article you linked, so apologies in advance if this is already covered.

I think you should be independent to the point where you can't have the rug pulled from under you. You have to have your own leverage. Interdependence is great, but only if it's mutually beneficial. Once your partner (assuming they hold all the cards) starts feeling like they're getting nothing out of the relationship, they can withdraw their support with little to no repercussions, and you'd be left hanging! A relationship is give and take; it's a trade; it's a partnership, both people should benefit in almost equal amounts.

That's what I think!  :-X I try my best not to be a burden. I'm 24 with a well-paying job, and I still live with my parents with no plans to move out except fantasies (it's normal in my culture). I help take care of my little sister with disabilities, whom my parents have a difficult time transporting because of their old age, I also contribute a lot to the household finances, and do the outdoor tasks like shovelling the driveway and mowing the lawn. In return, I get a "free" place to stay in this expensive housing market, and my mom cooks and even cleans after me (don't judge me  :-X). It's mutually beneficial: I love coming home from work and not having to do any errands or chores, it's 7-8 hours of uninterrupted me time. And my parents seem to like having me around, I picked up a renter flyer once, and when my mom found out she was furious. I'm not allowed to move out.  :-[

I think that's an example of healthy interdependence. What isn't healthy for example is a friend of mine. I only met him last year. He was fun to hang around with for about 4 months, but then he started opening up to me about his depression. I was very sympathetic at first, but after a million 3-hour calls and having him in cry on my shoulder every now and then, it got a bit old.  :-X I'm the only friend he has, so I felt a bit of an obligation to not cut him loose, but I'm not going to pretend I liked it. I could've easily cut him loose (and I did avoid his calls sometimes), and that would've been devastating for him but amazing for me, it's dangerous to have that kind of inequality/equilibrium in a relationship. He's doing a lot better now, so I'm happy for him, but he owes me! And not just his HBO GO account. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/12/17 at 3:59 pm

I agree to a certain extent. The whole world is a community. No woman, or man, is an island.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/12/17 at 4:06 pm

I only read the first article you linked, so apologies in advance if this is already covered.

I think you should be independent to the point where you can't have the rug pulled from under you. You have to have your own leverage. Interdependence is great, but only if it's mutually beneficial. Once your partner (assuming they hold all the cards) starts feeling like they're getting nothing out of the relationship, they can withdraw their support with little to no repercussions, and you'd be left hanging! A relationship is give and take; it's a trade; it's a partnership, both people should benefit in almost equal amounts.

That's what I think!  :-X I try my best not to be a burden. I'm 24 with a well-paying job, and I still live with my parents with no plans to move out except fantasies (it's normal in my culture). I help take care of my little sister with disabilities, whom my parents have a difficult time transporting because of their old age, I also contribute a lot to the household finances, and do the outdoor tasks like shovelling the driveway and mowing the lawn. In return, I get a "free" place to stay in this expensive housing market, and my mom cooks and even cleans after me (don't judge me  :-X). It's mutually beneficial: I love coming home from work and not having to do any errands or chores, it's 7-8 hours of uninterrupted me time. And my parents seem to like having me around, I picked up a renter flyer once, and when my mom found out she was furious. I'm not allowed to move out.  :-[

I think that's an example of healthy interdependence. What isn't healthy for example is a friend of mine. I only met him last year. He was fun to hang around with for about 4 months, but then he started opening up to me about his depression. I was very sympathetic at first, but after a million 3-hour calls and having him in cry on my shoulder every now and then, it got a bit old.  :-X I'm the only friend he has, so I felt a bit of an obligation to not cut him loose, but I'm not going to pretend I liked it. I could've easily cut him loose (and I did avoid his calls sometimes), and that would've been devastating for him but amazing for me, it's dangerous to have that kind of inequality/equilibrium in a relationship. He's doing a lot better now, so I'm happy for him, but he owes me! And not just his HBO GO account. ;D
Oh yeah. I understand that we need some independence; however, interdependence is truly the best way to go. For example, one is more likely to get a job quickly if he or she has resources to use to his or her advantage. Furthermore, taking care of your friends and family while they take care of you creates a strong unbreakable bondage.

Written By: 2001 on 04/12/17 at 9:18 pm

Oh yeah. I understand that we need some independence; however, interdependence is truly the best way to go. For example, one is more likely to get a job quickly if he or she has resources to use to his or her advantage. Furthermore, taking care of your friends and family while they take care of you creates a strong unbreakable bondage.

I'll say this

Interdependence > Independence >>>>> (One-way) Dependence.

Specialization is an important concept on economics. Basically, people should focus their time and energy on what they're best at. For tasks they're not good at, they should try to get other people to do it. I think that's where interdependence shines. You focus on what you can provide, and your partner should focus on what they can provide. That way, everyone wins! If me and my parents both went our own ways, we'd both lose out. And that's why Brexit is silly!  :-X

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/19/17 at 11:31 am

I'll say this

Interdependence > Independence >>>>> (One-way) Dependence.

Specialization is an important concept on economics. Basically, people should focus their time and energy on what they're best at. For tasks they're not good at, they should try to get other people to do it. I think that's where interdependence shines. You focus on what you can provide, and your partner should focus on what they can provide. That way, everyone wins! If me and my parents both went our own ways, we'd both lose out. And that's why Brexit is silly!  :-X
I agree! Interdependence all the way, and yes people should definitely focus what they're best at. Too bad some folks don't realize that because not everything is for everyone.

Check for new replies or respond here...