inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Myths/BS Thread

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/19/17 at 11:43 am

Post whatever in this thread that is total BS, or is a myth.

For example, the "Everything happens for a reason" quote. I hate when this is said because it's clearly BS.

Subject: Re: Myths/BS Thread

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 10:06 pm

A few days ago my aunt posted an image on Facebook that said you shouldn't drink cold water because it "confuses" your body and wrecks your digestive system. Room temperature water on the other hand, because it's the same temperature as your body, will flush out the toxins in your body (never mind that room temperature is 22C and body temperature is 37C...).

A friend of mine posted about her weight loss. She lost 6 pounds the last two week after going on some fruit juice detox. She has two fruit smoothies a day and her body is now "purging the fat". Erm, girl,  no. The reason you're losing weight is because you're eating less, which is what you should be doing in a less extreme way if you want to make permanent changes. These yo-yo/fad diets don't do you any good.  :-X

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/21/18 at 10:41 pm

A few days ago my aunt posted an image on Facebook that said you shouldn't drink cold water because it "confuses" your body and wrecks your digestive system. Room temperature water on the other hand, because it's the same temperature as your body, will flush out the toxins in your body (never mind that room temperature is 22C and body temperature is 37C...).

A friend of mine posted about her weight loss. She lost 6 pounds the last two week after going on some fruit juice detox. She has two fruit smoothies a day and her body is now "purging the fat". Erm, girl,  no. The reason you're losing weight is that you're eating less, which is what you should be doing in a less extreme way if you want to make permanent changes. These yo-yo/fad diets don't do you any good.  :-X
Damn, I can't believe they brought into that BS. There's no way cold water confuses one body and messes the digestive system nor does dieting help people lose pounds. There's already been great evidence for the second point.

Written By: SpyroKev on 02/22/18 at 10:11 am

Ok, I guess I can finally add contribute.

My sister and her mate claims basket ball shorts your supposed to just wear inside. I shouldn't wear them if I want to attract women. Nope. The positive's been completely the opposite. Basketball shorts show athleticism, easy to wear, great for summer and has so many fun design varieties. I really hate how older adults think they know everything! Know what's best for you.

Makes me glad I never actually take their advice.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/24/18 at 9:47 am

Ok, I guess I can finally add contribute.

My sister and her mate claims basket ball shorts your supposed to just wear inside. I shouldn't wear them if I want to attract women. Nope. The positive's been completely the opposite. Basketball shorts show athleticism, easy to wear, great for summer and has so many fun design varieties. I really hate how older adults think they know everything! Know what's best for you.

Makes me glad I never actually take their advice.

When it comes to matters of taste, like food (I hate liver - someone has to take a stand on liver and I'd rather stand on it than eat it), or music, or fashion, who cares what others like, do your own thing

Written By: 2001 on 02/24/18 at 9:56 am

One of my ex-colleagues who's pregnant was complaining about cravings, and one of the comments was about how it means the baby is craving the right kind of micronutrients. Erm, I'm pretty sure if cravings worked that way you'd be craving fresh fruits and vegetables all the time and not fudge chocolate ;D

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/24/18 at 12:37 pm

Every Thanksgiving someone drags out the tired old urban legend that "tryptophan in turkey makes you sleepy".  Absolute nonsense, but it is even reported as fact by the "news" media. Gram for gram, cheddar cheese has more tryptophan than turkey, but nobody ever says "I just ate a piece of cheese, I'm so sleepy". More likely overeating, lots of carbohydrates and alcohol consumption is what makes people sleepy on Thanksgiving.

Here's the straight story:

www.livescience.com/41543-thanksgiving-myth-busted-eating-turkey-won-t-make-you-sleepy.html

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/25/18 at 10:57 am

Every Thanksgiving someone drags out the tired old urban legend that "tryptophan in turkey makes you sleepy".  Absolute nonsense, but it is even reported as fact by the "news" media. Gram for gram, cheddar cheese has more tryptophan than turkey, but nobody ever says "I just ate a piece of cheese, I'm so sleepy". More likely overeating, lots of carbohydrates and alcohol consumption is what makes people sleepy on Thanksgiving.

Here's the straight story:

www.livescience.com/41543-thanksgiving-myth-busted-eating-turkey-won-t-make-you-sleepy.html

Sure, but how many people eat as much cheese as they eat turkey?

Written By: 2001 on 02/25/18 at 11:15 am

Imma repost this here because I can't believe people fall so easily for this kind of stuff.  ::)

These are the conspiracy theories (and they ARE conspiracy theories) that I heard on this board in just the past day. -___-

* CIA assassinates right wingers before their ideas get too popular
*The Sky men are dividing the world into left and right and only free thinkers (and not the sheeple) who can see the ruse are able to see past this.
* The Deep State and Jews control media and government.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...