inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Aging is so gradual it's scary

Written By: Brian06 on 06/15/17 at 7:01 pm

The thing that freaks me out the most about getting older is how gradual little by little it is. It's just hitting me now and it's just crazy how little by little it is you don't even realize it while it is happening. It's like just bizarre and there's not really any specific age to necessarily attach to it but it happens. You gradually start seeing people way younger than you that are basically very young adults, you start seeing new parents that are probably younger than you. You start seeing more and more police officers and teachers that look younger than you. I'm only 30 but it's like I really get it now and it freaks me out how gradual it is. Then even more time passes and you realize that you can be the parents of the new parents. It's like you just gradually float though life and it all happens little by little and you barely realize it while just living your own life. Before you know it you're 90 or 95 and it's all over. It's just scary thinking about it in a way.  :-\\

Subject: Re: Aging is so gradual it's scary

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/17 at 9:59 pm

Aging is a gradual process, it creeps up upon you and before you know, it happens!

Knowing that the majority of your life has gone, you do begin to wonder how long you have left?

Written By: 80sfan on 06/23/17 at 11:16 pm

I'm only guessing, but aging is gradual now due the technology of the past century, or so. But back then, during the cavemen era, the average death age was 26/27. So I'm guessing that aging wasn't so gradual during the earliest cavemen days.

It's good that aging is gradual or you'll just collapse as just a piece of carcass, bones, dust, or whatever!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/17 at 11:20 pm

[quote author=90sBreath link=topic=55494.msg3582491#msg3582491 date=1498277810

It's good that aging is gradual or you'll just collapse as just a piece of carcass, bones, dust, or whatever!
Unless you cause you body to age rapidly by smoking, drinking, or drugs?

Written By: 80sfan on 06/23/17 at 11:23 pm

[quote author=90sBreath link=topic=55494.msg3582491#msg3582491 date=1498277810

Unless you cause you body to age rapidly by smoking, drinking, or drugs?

I should start smoking??  :(  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/17 at 12:11 am

I should start smoking??  :(  :(
Please, please do not.

Written By: Elor on 06/26/17 at 10:25 am

The thing that freaks me out the most about getting older is how gradual little by little it is. It's just hitting me now and it's just crazy how little by little it is you don't even realize it while it is happening. It's like just bizarre and there's not really any specific age to necessarily attach to it but it happens. You gradually start seeing people way younger than you that are basically very young adults, you start seeing new parents that are probably younger than you. You start seeing more and more police officers and teachers that look younger than you. I'm only 30 but it's like I really get it now and it freaks me out how gradual it is. Then even more time passes and you realize that you can be the parents of the new parents. It's like you just gradually float though life and it all happens little by little and you barely realize it while just living your own life. Before you know it you're 90 or 95 and it's all over. It's just scary thinking about it in a way.  :-\\

I noticed that too. It really struck me when I was examined by a doctor who was younger than me a couple of years ago. It really is scary, especially when you don't get anywhere in your own life and see younger people overtaking you left and right. :-[

Written By: Howard on 06/26/17 at 1:26 pm

I'm almost in my mid 40's, that's pretty scary. :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/28/17 at 1:39 am

Aging absolutely sucks! I turn 35 in a few months and I'm really seeing some big signs of my transition into middle age with my currently thinning hair! >:(

Written By: 80sfan on 06/28/17 at 10:13 am

Aging absolutely sucks! I turn 35 in a few months and I'm really seeing some big signs of my transition into middle age with my currently thinning hair! >:(

Oh God, did your father have the same problem too?  :(  :(  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 06/28/17 at 10:23 am

Please, please do not.

Okay!  :-X 

Written By: 2001 on 06/28/17 at 10:52 am

I'm older than you in experiences. 

Written By: Howard on 06/28/17 at 3:17 pm

I turn 44 next year and I've learned to embrace my thinning hair.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/28/17 at 10:13 pm

I'm older than you in experiences.

How? Because your hair thinned out at a young age? ::)

I turn 44 next year and I've learned to embrace my thinning hair.

I haven't! This sucks!

Written By: Howard on 06/29/17 at 2:54 pm

I haven't! This sucks!

Have you thought about looking for a small wig?

Written By: 2001 on 06/29/17 at 3:06 pm

I haven't! This sucks!

Yes. ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/29/17 at 3:19 pm

Yes. ;D

I've been thinning for 20 years.

Written By: Elor on 06/29/17 at 3:19 pm

Have you thought about looking for a small wig?
The POTUS could surely give him some tips on that. ;D

Written By: 2001 on 06/29/17 at 3:21 pm

You still look great!

The POTUS could surely give him some tips on that. ;D

Oh God, no! ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/29/17 at 10:31 pm

When I edited my avatar that one time to mock alt-righters and I put a Trump wig on my character's head... Was I unknowingly foreshadowing? :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 06/29/17 at 11:07 pm

When I edited my avatar that one time to mock alt-righters and I put a Trump wig on my character's head... Was I unknowingly foreshadowing? :-\\

You unconsciously did it. Just kidding.

I hope they find a cure for hair running away one day.  :(  :(  :)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/29/17 at 11:08 pm

You unconsciously did it. Just kidding.

I hope they find a cure for hair running away one day.  :(  :(  :)

Yeah, they better! >:(

Written By: Elor on 06/30/17 at 3:29 am

Yeah, they better! >:(
Here, that guy looks for a new job:
https://s6.postimg.org/5415lmbfl/trump.jpg

Written By: Howard on 06/30/17 at 3:10 pm

You still look great!

Oh God, no! ;D

Thanks. :)

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/30/17 at 4:10 pm

I just realize that I'm going to turn 18 in less than 6 months. As I'm going to turn 18 in December, it just makes me feel distinct over my childhood. Everything after I turned 12 was different than being 3-11. It was so different during my adolescent years that most of the events wouldn't even happen as a kid. Has anybody else felt the same when they turned 18?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/30/17 at 5:14 pm

I just realize that I'm going to turn 18 in less than 6 months. As I'm going to turn 18 in December, it just makes me feel distinct over my childhood. Everything after I turned 12 was different than being 3-11. It was so different during my adolescent years that most of the events wouldn't even happen as a kid. Has anybody else felt the same when they turned 18?

My 18th birthday is 13 days away and I'll felt for some time now that my childhood is long gone.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/30/17 at 5:36 pm

I felt the same way, but not over my childhood. It was the fact that I would no longer be under legal age which made me feel that way.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/30/17 at 5:44 pm

I felt the same way, but not over my childhood. It was the fact that I would no longer be under legal age which made me feel that way.

Same here.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/30/17 at 9:52 pm

My 18th birthday is 13 days away and I'll felt for some time now that my childhood is long gone.

Honestly, I felt like an adult since I turned 15. Having my first iPhone made me feel like I was starting to be more mature. It was way better than a cell phone with a mini keyboard.

Same. By the time that I'll be 18, I wouldn't be considered a minor anymore.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/30/17 at 9:59 pm

I still feel 14!  :P  :P  :-[

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/30/17 at 10:04 pm

Honestly, I felt like an adult since I turned 15. Having my first iPhone made me feel like I was starting to be more mature. It was way better than a cell phone with a mini keyboard.

It really hit me that I'm an adult now when I got a mini-lesson in school about filing out taxes and that other jazz.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 06/30/17 at 10:36 pm

Here, that guy looks for a new job:
https://s6.postimg.org/5415lmbfl/trump.jpg

Oh man... :-\\

Written By: Elor on 07/01/17 at 4:34 am

It's also a shock when it goes the other way around and you become a minor again over night.  ;D
I did a vacation to the US once all the way back in 2001 when I was 19. In Germany one is an adult at 18 and in the States I was a sort of minor again all of a sudden. Couldn't hang around the gambling areas in Las Vegas (not that I would gamble anyway) and could accompany my parents to the hotel lobby when there was a vine party because I had to be 21 for that (oh that dangerous vine...). I felt so demoted. ;D
BTW buying a gun or signing up for the army wouldn't have been a problem at that age for all I know... ::)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/01/17 at 1:37 pm

It's also a shock when it goes the other way around and you become a minor again over night.  ;D
I did a vacation to the US once all the way back in 2001 when I was 19. In Germany one is an adult at 18 and in the States I was a sort of minor again all of a sudden. Couldn't hang around the gambling areas in Las Vegas (not that I would gamble anyway) and could accompany my parents to the hotel lobby when there was a vine party because I had to be 21 for that (oh that dangerous vine...). I felt so demoted. ;D
BTW buying a gun or signing up for the army wouldn't have been a problem at that age for all I know... ::)

Yeah, that's one thing that I don't get about here (the USA).

We can die for this country in a war, smoke cigarettes (most of the country), buy a house, get married, file taxes, get charged with a crime and be sent to prison, etc at the age of 18. However, if you want to drink alcohol and you want to gamble (most of the country).....eh, you can wait 3 years ::).

Written By: 80sfan on 07/01/17 at 2:11 pm

I'm going to be 29 late in the year.  :o

Written By: Howard on 07/01/17 at 3:05 pm

very soon you'll be in your 20's.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/17 at 3:06 pm

I'm going to be 29 late in the year.  :o

I'll be 44 in 8 months. :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/01/17 at 3:56 pm

very soon you'll be in your 20's.

I know...it's only 2 years away :o.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/01/17 at 6:49 pm

I have a slightly receding hairline though nothing too bad yet. A couple random gray hairs. I wonder whether I'll go gray or bald first LOL.  ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/01/17 at 7:17 pm

Thinning hair sucks! I keep losing hair in the shower! >:(

I need to go and pick up that Rogaine soon. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/02/17 at 2:47 pm

I know...it's only 2 years away :o.

and in 7 years time I'll be 50. :o

Written By: Howard on 07/02/17 at 2:48 pm

I have a slightly receding hairline though nothing too bad yet. A couple random gray hairs. I wonder whether I'll go gray or bald first LOL.  ;D

I have gray hair on the sides of my head.

Written By: 2001 on 07/02/17 at 3:07 pm

Thinning hair sucks! I keep losing hair in the shower! >:(

I need to go and pick up that Rogaine soon. :-\\

Ooo, that's when I first noticed I was losing my hair. I was washing my hair, and when I was ready to wash the shampoo off my hands, I noticed my hand was all black with my hair! Straight out of a horror movie. :o

Written By: violet_shy on 07/02/17 at 5:30 pm

I have never been afraid of getting older. It doesn't scare me and I don't think about it. When people ask me me what my age is I simply tell them my age and I never keep it to myself. I think I'm one of the very few people who are actually proud of getting older. The only things that concern me about aging later in life are the health issues and the many conditions that come with old age. :-\\ And I don't even think about it that often, thankfully.

YEAH, I AM ALMOST 37!! IT'S BEAUTIFUL!

Written By: Brian06 on 07/02/17 at 8:48 pm

Yeah I mean at 15 you can sorta feel like a mini adult and you sorta are in ways. And it's not like all just changes immediately at 18. It's just gradual little by little process and you get to the point where you can't imagine not being an adult. I remember people my age being these little kids obviously, now it's kinda surreal to think about that I was once that young. Someone born in 1987 like me being only 10 years old seems really surreal from today's perspective. And of course even more so for people older than me my dad was still only 10 when JFK was assassinated for example, now nearly 65. Even people born in like the late 1930s for example, I actually remember when they were still only in their 50s and not old yet! Now they're freaking turning 80! I was watching The Lucy Show on Hulu and the little kids on that show were like my dad's age, now they're like 65 year olds signing up for medicare! It's just kinda insane thinking about the past and people being so much younger/not even born yet. Being 30 I sorta can't even imagine being under like 25 years old again, it's weird to think I was THAT young and it wasn't even that long ago. When you look back and think about how much younger people today were 15-20 years ago is when you really kind of realize the aging process I think. I've watched my grandmother and grandfather go through their elder years to the end of their life, my parents go through their middle age years and now in their retirement age and entering elder years, myself all the way from childhood, adolescence, young adulthood, now have entered my thirty something solid adulthood years.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/17 at 3:02 pm

I have never been afraid of getting older. It doesn't scare me and I don't think about it. When people ask me me what my age is I simply tell them my age and I never keep it to myself. I think I'm one of the very few people who are actually proud of getting older. The only things that concern me about aging later in life are the health issues and the many conditions that come with old age. :-\\ And I don't even think about it that often, thankfully.

YEAH, I AM ALMOST 37!! IT'S BEAUTIFUL!

I don't think about getting older either.

Written By: 2001 on 07/05/17 at 11:34 am

Every time I take a trip to the USA, I can feel myself gaining more freedom as I let go of my oppressive government healthcare  8)

I have gray hair on the sides of my head.

I have exactly one grey hair. It actually looks silver, which is cool. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/05/17 at 1:13 pm

Every time I take a trip to the USA, I can feel myself gaining more freedom as I let go of my oppressive government healthcare  8)

I got my first grey hair at age 16. Probably from stress of my anxiety issues!  :D

Written By: Howard on 07/05/17 at 3:00 pm

You should dye it.

Written By: 2001 on 07/05/17 at 4:03 pm

I got my first grey hair at age 16. Probably from stress of my anxiety issues!  :D

You should dye it.

Grey/silver hair is actually very fashionable right now among youth. I'm not even joking, I'm 100% serious. I saw it quite a few times on campus two years back.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/05/17 at 4:06 pm

Grey/silver hair is actually very fashionable right now among youth. I'm not even joking, I'm 100% serious. I saw it quite a few times on campus two years back.

It's edgy and raw.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/06/17 at 7:37 am

Soon balding will be in style and we won't even need Rogaine. ::)

Written By: 2001 on 07/06/17 at 9:41 am

Waiting on that

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/06/17 at 11:52 am

Waiting on that

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

Look at how hip and in style this guy is! 8)

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/club937.com/files/2012/04/Bald.jpg

Written By: 2001 on 07/06/17 at 11:56 am

Look at how hip and in style this guy is! 8)

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/club937.com/files/2012/04/Bald.jpg

It won't ever be like that. It would have something extra... Maybe a scalp tattoo or maybe will people attach a unicorn horn or large needles.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/06/17 at 12:01 pm

It won't ever be like that. It would have something extra... Maybe a scalp tattoo or maybe will people attach a unicorn horn or large needles.

This is the evolution of the undercut. Instead of shaving the sides and slicking it up, you shave the top and leave the sides. ;)

Written By: 2001 on 07/06/17 at 12:04 pm

This is the evolution of the undercut. Instead of shaving the sides and slicking it up, you shave the top and leave the sides. ;)

The 2010s backlash we've been clamouring for :o

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/06/17 at 12:14 pm

The 2010s backlash we've been clamouring for :o

The 2020's are gonna be all about balding! Reverse undercuts all over the place. ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/06/17 at 12:33 pm

I got you beat. I got mine at the ripe old age of 15. Have been coloring it since age 19.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 07/06/17 at 1:42 pm

The 2020's are gonna be all about balding! Reverse undercuts all over the place. ;)

Phew! Looks like I won't be needing the Rogaine now!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/06/17 at 1:45 pm

I got you beat. I got mine at the ripe old age of 15. Have been coloring it since age 19.

Cat

It's actually nice to hear. I feel normal now.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/17 at 3:12 pm

women will have the style too.

Written By: Elor on 07/06/17 at 3:44 pm

women will have the style too.
Depends on where on their body. ;) :D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/06/17 at 6:06 pm

Does aging give you veiny hands, like these?

https://www.partynutters.co.uk/images/4994a_ghoul_hands.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/07/17 at 6:55 am

Depends on where on their body. ;) :D

I see what you did there. ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/07/17 at 6:56 am

Does aging give you veiny hands, like these?

https://www.partynutters.co.uk/images/4994a_ghoul_hands.jpg

Yes they do.

Check for new replies or respond here...