inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Journaling / Diary-keeping

Written By: 2001 on 09/20/17 at 5:18 pm

Does anyone here keep or have kept a journal or diary of sorts? Just a book or word document or database where you write about how your day went or how progress went on a goal you were working on etc.

I recently started journaling again, three days ago. This prompted me to look for my old journal entries, and I found files on my Google Drive that contain entries from September 2008 to April 2014 (with gaps in between).

That corresponded to when I was roughly ages 15 to 21. As it is for just about everyone, that was such a changeful time for me. It's kind of overwhelming and awe-some looking back at old entries, the ups and downs, having all those memories rush back to your head, and seeing how far you've come since then. Most the problems I complained about are completely irrelevant or dealt with now, and I can't help but smile at how those things sounded like the most difficult problem in the world back then. I was really happy to read those entires again and glad that I documented them!

I also kept a journal in 2016 and early 2017, but that was strictly for the goals I was working on (or crazy philosophical thoughts that came into my head ;D), rather than documenting my daily life. Now I'm back to documenting the mundane things and feelings. I hope I can read it again in 10 years and just be awe struck the same way I am now. :D

Anyone else keep a journal or a diary? For how long? How do you feel looking back on old entries? :)

Subject: Re: Journaling / Diary-keeping

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/20/17 at 5:42 pm

I've been wanting to keep a journal since I was 10 (2009). I attempted to do one last year (on my computer), but I didn't keep up with it. I should give it another go.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/20/17 at 5:47 pm

I could never see myself taking time to write a diary/journal lol

Written By: 2001 on 09/20/17 at 6:11 pm

I've been wanting to keep a journal since I was 10 (2009). I attempted to do one last year (on my computer), but I didn't keep up with it. I should give it another go.

Yesterday, I was with my eyes closed and all the sleep hormones flooding my brain, probably just mere seconds away from falling asleep, but then I remembered "Oh, I didn't write in my journal!" and got up immediately ;D You just have to make a habit out of it.

I write it on my phone nowadays.

I could never see myself taking time to write a diary/journal lol

It takes me about 5-10 minutes a night. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/17 at 6:16 pm

I started on and off in my younger days. The pen kept getting in the way and I just couldn't write like that. When I got my first word processor, I started one-back in 1990(?). I wrote it in sporadically until about 1994 or 1995 when I started dating Carlos. For about 5 years I HAD to write in it every day. I would wake up in the morning, and just couldn't wait to turn on my "Old Dinosaur" (the word processor) and write. It really helped me. I stopped writing in it about 2000. Of course my Old Dinosaur was retired but I still have it because that is the only thing that I can read those old journal entries on. They are on floppy disks which looks like this:

http://www.fileformat.info/media/5.25-floppy/top.jpg 

I decided to start up my journal again in 2013 when we took a cross-country trip. I wanted to document everything about the trip. I realized how much I missed keeping an journal and decided to start back up again. I am a WordPerfect person and that is what I use.  I don't write in it every day but whenever I feel like I need to write. Unlike the earlier version, I now add different colors (I highlight the date in one color or if I am quoting someone, I will use another color), and even add photos. I start a new file each year. At the end of the year, I turn it into a PDF file. I started doing that last year because the file was SO big-especially with photos, it kept locking up and I kept losing my photos. This year, I divided the file into 2 and started a new file at the beginning of July.

I often go back and read old entries. I don't often go back and read the EARLY ones because the Old Dinosaur is in the back room. I would love to transfer them onto something I can use with this computer. What I find interesting when I do go back and read, how accurate I am at predicting things-not always but sometimes I was spot on.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/21/17 at 7:25 am

I do still have my personal diary, I started writing in it about 30 years ago just writing about the day as it happened, it's something I enjoyed in the evening at the end of the day and just reviewing the stuff that occurred in 1 day.

Written By: 2001 on 09/21/17 at 10:44 am

I started on and off in my younger days. The pen kept getting in the way and I just couldn't write like that. When I got my first word processor, I started one-back in 1990(?). I wrote it in sporadically until about 1994 or 1995 when I started dating Carlos. For about 5 years I HAD to write in it every day. I would wake up in the morning, and just couldn't wait to turn on my "Old Dinosaur" (the word processor) and write. It really helped me. I stopped writing in it about 2000. Of course my Old Dinosaur was retired but I still have it because that is the only thing that I can read those old journal entries on. They are on floppy disks which looks like this:

http://www.fileformat.info/media/5.25-floppy/top.jpg 

I decided to start up my journal again in 2013 when we took a cross-country trip. I wanted to document everything about the trip. I realized how much I missed keeping an journal and decided to start back up again. I am a WordPerfect person and that is what I use.  I don't write in it every day but whenever I feel like I need to write. Unlike the earlier version, I now add different colors (I highlight the date in one color or if I am quoting someone, I will use another color), and even add photos. I start a new file each year. At the end of the year, I turn it into a PDF file. I started doing that last year because the file was SO big-especially with photos, it kept locking up and I kept losing my photos. This year, I divided the file into 2 and started a new file at the beginning of July.

I often go back and read old entries. I don't often go back and read the EARLY ones because the Old Dinosaur is in the back room. I would love to transfer them onto something I can use with this computer. What I find interesting when I do go back and read, how accurate I am at predicting things-not always but sometimes I was spot on.

Cat

Woah, that's so cool. You've had yours for quite a while! I remember those floppy disks, but the smaller ones. You better not lose it. :D

So you started writing daily once you met Carlos?

The pictures sound like a great idea. I might try it. It would be great to look back on old photos attached with a written description.

I do still have my personal diary, I started writing in it about 30 years ago just writing about the day as it happened, it's something I enjoyed in the evening at the end of the day and just reviewing the stuff that occurred in 1 day.

Woah, that's about as long as Cat's journal. :o Do you still write in it?

Written By: violet_shy on 09/21/17 at 11:40 am

I use to keep diaries and journals in my teens and 20s. I still have them...over 10 journals and diaries. I just don't seem to have the patience for it anymore lol. Maybe it's because I stopped writing. Maybe it's because I have a lot going on in my life and I don't have the time. I'm not sure why. These days when I want to post about my day sometimes I go to Facebook and post it. But I keep my private feelings to myself, of course. If I didn't have so much going on in my life I would definitely get back to writing in journals.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/17 at 11:52 am

I used to in line with my performances at work, but for home life, I never kept one.

Practically, being online here can be in a form of a diary.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/17 at 2:07 pm

Woah, that's so cool. You've had yours for quite a while! I remember those floppy disks, but the smaller ones. You better not lose it. :D

The pictures sound like a great idea. I might try it. It would be great to look back on old photos attached with a written description.

Woah, that's about as long as Cat's journal. :o Do you still write in it?

No, I don't anymore, I just keep it in my closet so I can look back it years later.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/17 at 2:10 pm

I have inherited my parent's diaries, but I have not got round to reading them yet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/17 at 2:31 pm

It wasn't just when I started dating Carlos (I had known him a few years before we started dating). There was a lot going on at the time. But, the early days of our relationship were confusing for many reasons. In the journal, I was able to express a lot of that confusion. It also helped me to heal from past relationships. Who needed to pay a shrink?

I used to in line with my performances at work, but for home life, I never kept one.

That's why I stopped writing in mine. Pretty much the monthly thread became my journal. But now, I have found that keeping my own is freer. I don't have to worry about not using people's names, and I can also write about all you crazy people without having to worry about offending you things that I don't want others to know, my dreams, stupid stuff that has happened throughout the day, hopes, plans, etc. etc. I can also repeat myself A LOT and no one would care. All the stuff that I know many here would be bored with.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 09/21/17 at 2:41 pm

I don't ever keep a diary of myself, with all my deepest secrets, etc, etc. Because I'm afraid someone will find it and read it.

Also, I don't want to face the darkest parts of myself.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: nally on 09/23/17 at 5:39 pm

I did, for a number of years.

First of all, I started keeping diaries when I was 11. My inspiration to do so came from a book (kiddy fiction) titled Mostly Michael, about a boy who receives a diary for his birthday, dislikes the idea at first but gradually begins to enjoy it. Not only was I inspired to do so by reading said book, but I also thought that keeping a diary was a good way for me to write about my life during the day and express myself in a personal sense. I never shared the contents of my diaries with anyone, plus I always put them in a place where no one except me could get to them.

After about four years, I often found myself up late each night trying to remember everything; also by this time my school demands took priority, so I wasn't diary-keeping very much longer. However, there were a few times in subsequent years when I would feel the need to start writing about something in my life that happened on a certain day, so I would use a small spiral notebook (or something of a similar nature).

As for journaling, I have started to do that on my cruise trips so that I can write down my memories and not forget them. (IOW, they'd be in written form instead of in my head.) That way when I read my writings, it'll help me remember them!

Written By: violet_shy on 09/23/17 at 6:58 pm

I have inherited my parent's diaries, but I have not got round to reading them yet.

Oooh, what years are the diaries from?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/23/17 at 7:15 pm

I got my Dad's. I haven't read it yet-not too sure I really want to, to tell you the truth.  :-\\  My mother didn't keep one.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 09/23/17 at 7:47 pm

I use to keep diaries and journals in my teens and 20s. I still have them...over 10 journals and diaries. I just don't seem to have the patience for it anymore lol. Maybe it's because I stopped writing. Maybe it's because I have a lot going on in my life and I don't have the time. I'm not sure why. These days when I want to post about my day sometimes I go to Facebook and post it. But I keep my private feelings to myself, of course. If I didn't have so much going on in my life I would definitely get back to writing in journals.

Nice! So your journaling era is the same as mine ;D Do you ever go back and read them?

I also keep some journals specifically for certain goals (rather than a general record of what happened that day). It can be really motivating to see your daily progress, and objectively look at room for improvement, and look back at old entries and see how far you've come. :)

The latter paragraph is true, in a sense. I was actually thinking about making a thread related to that (looking back on historic online presence). :D

It wasn't just when I started dating Carlos (I had known him a few years before we started dating). There was a lot going on at the time. But, the early days of our relationship were confusing for many reasons. In the journal, I was able to express a lot of that confusion. It also helped me to heal from past relationships. Who needed to pay a shrink?

That's why I stopped writing in mine. Pretty much the monthly thread became my journal. But now, I have found that keeping my own is freer. I don't have to worry about not using people's names, and I can also write about all you crazy people without having to worry about offending you things that I don't want others to know, my dreams, stupid stuff that has happened throughout the day, hopes, plans, etc. etc. I can also repeat myself A LOT and no one would care. All the stuff that I know many here would be bored with.

Cat

Haha, good point about the shrink. That's how I feel about my journal sometimes ;D

I don't ever keep a diary of myself, with all my deepest secrets, etc, etc. Because I'm afraid someone will find it and read it.

Also, I don't want to face the darkest parts of myself.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Word document with password :P

I did, for a number of years.

First of all, I started keeping diaries when I was 11. My inspiration to do so came from a book (kiddy fiction) titled Mostly Michael, about a boy who receives a diary for his birthday, dislikes the idea at first but gradually begins to enjoy it. Not only was I inspired to do so by reading said book, but I also thought that keeping a diary was a good way for me to write about my life during the day and express myself in a personal sense. I never shared the contents of my diaries with anyone, plus I always put them in a place where no one except me could get to them.

After about four years, I often found myself up late each night trying to remember everything; also by this time my school demands took priority, so I wasn't diary-keeping very much longer. However, there were a few times in subsequent years when I would feel the need to start writing about something in my life that happened on a certain day, so I would use a small spiral notebook (or something of a similar nature).

As for journaling, I have started to do that on my cruise trips so that I can write down my memories and not forget them. (IOW, they'd be in written form instead of in my head.) That way when I read my writings, it'll help me remember them!

Woah, 11! I'd have loved to read what my kid self thought about the world. Do you ever go back and read it?

Also, have you tried typing up your journal? For me, I usually only spend 5 minutes a night writing it (they're usually between 200-500 words per entry, or about 3-6 paragraphs).

I got my Dad's. I haven't read it yet-not too sure I really want to, to tell you the truth.  :-\\  My mother didn't keep one.

Cat

I've always wondered how my kids/relatives would inherit my online diary if I were to pass away. Maybe I should write my password in a will. ???

Ooo, I'd like to know the answer to that too. :o I bought an ebook of a flapper's diary (from 1925 to 1927) and it was an entertaining read.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/17 at 7:49 am

Nice! So your journaling era is the same as mine ;D Do you ever go back and read them?

I also keep some journals specifically for certain goals (rather than a general record of what happened that day). It can be really motivating to see your daily progress, and objectively look at room for improvement, and look back at old entries and see how far you've come. :)

The latter paragraph is true, in a sense. I was actually thinking about making a thread related to that (looking back on historic online presence). :D

Haha, good point about the shrink. That's how I feel about my journal sometimes ;D

Word document with password :P

Woah, 11! I'd have loved to read what my kid self thought about the world. Do you ever go back and read it?

Also, have you tried typing up your journal? For me, I usually only spend 5 minutes a night writing it (they're usually between 200-500 words per entry, or about 3-6 paragraphs).

I've always wondered how my kids/relatives would inherit my online diary if I were to pass away. Maybe I should write my password in a will. ???

Ooo, I'd like to know the answer to that too. :o I bought an ebook of a flapper's diary (from 1925 to 1927) and it was an entertaining read.

I don't know, you think that's a good idea? ???

Written By: violet_shy on 09/24/17 at 2:10 pm

I haven't read them in years!

Written By: Howard on 09/24/17 at 2:35 pm

I haven't read them in years!

I almost forgot what I wrote in mine.

Written By: nally on 09/24/17 at 6:20 pm

As a matter of fact, I have done so a few times... and it often brings back memories. (The last time I did, it took me hours to read through them all. In fact, possibly all day.) I filled up about nine blank 160-page books in a 4+ year span.

Well, in later years, whenever I felt a need to write another mini-life story (2000s and later), I would often type such things in a Word document. Such journal-stories would mainly be about things in my personal life, such as lady friends, as well as certain people I hadn't seen in a while and how I felt about 'em.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 8:21 am

1980s onward, and still have not got round to reading them yet.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/12/19 at 9:35 am

These days I just use social media (Twitter) and I have to watch what I say because I wouldn't want something taken wrong, plus I have a couple people I know IRL on there. Even if not it still feels like you've got to be careful with your thoughts. I miss the good old days of Livejournal because you didn't have to keep it short and people expected to read your true feelings on life. Some events are worth writing about, and when times get hectic.

Paper journals I used to do in school only and we had writing prompts, which is also interesting because you have to write about something very specific instead of just the events of the day.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/19 at 2:58 pm

1980s onward, and still have not got round to reading them yet.

I keep mine in my closet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/19 at 3:22 pm

I keep mine in my closet.
Here in my Family history Box.

Written By: 2001 on 05/12/19 at 9:25 pm

I haven't stopped journaling since I made this thread. I've documented a decent amount of 2016-2019.  8)

The problem is I tend to document my internal thoughts and struggles rather than what I actually did day to day. Maybe I'll take some time to do that too.

Written By: nally on 05/12/19 at 9:31 pm

Paper journals I used to do in school only and we had writing prompts, which is also interesting because you have to write about something very specific instead of just the events of the day.

I have had classes in which I did something of that nature... especially English classes. We were asked to write about a specific topic, often relating to something read in the class (or to be read), and sometimes the prompt would be a question about an experience you may or may not have had.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/12/19 at 9:37 pm

I haven't stopped journaling since I made this thread. I've documented a decent amount of 2016-2019.  8)

The problem is I tend to document my internal thoughts and struggles rather than what I actually did day to day. Maybe I'll take some time to do that too.

I have journals from the 90s and 2000s. I stopped writing in 2010. I want to read them someday when I'm older.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/19 at 5:45 am

I have journals from the 90s and 2000s. I stopped writing in 2010. I want to read them someday when I'm older.

I started my journal in 1987.

Check for new replies or respond here...