inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What has happened to this forum?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/17/17 at 11:17 pm

Honestly. The overall quality of the forum has really taken a turn for the worse over the past few months. I think the one thing that really tops it off is the dispute which has occurred in the "YouTube thread" on the 2010s sub-board. It seems like the only points of discussion is anything to do with a "2008 shift", or what the Late 2000s and Early 2010s were like. Pretty disappointing, to be honest. I really hope the content on the forum improves.

Subject: Re: What has happened to this forum?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/17/17 at 11:40 pm

Well, those threads were brought up because some here have exaggerated how transformative 2008 was. 2009 was the real change.

OTT, I made some topics on this board that you can check out. There are some such as nudity, diversity, Independence etc.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/17/17 at 11:50 pm

Well, those threads were brought up because some here have exaggerated how transformative 2008 was. 2009 was the real change.

I understand that, but it has been brought up so many times that it has simply become absurd. Some people even talk about it in threads which are completely unrelated to the topic. I mean, how many times can someone possibly state that Late 2008 was the real change?  ::)  :-X

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/17/17 at 11:54 pm

I understand that, but it has been brought up so many times that it has simply become absurd. Some people even talk about it in threads which are completely unrelated to the topic. I mean, how many times can someone possibly state that Late 2008 was the real change?  ::)  :-X
True. That might be main thing right now, but one day it won't be on the top anymore. Anyway, you should check out my other topics. I would actually like to hear your thoughts on what you think about promiscuity, nudity, Independence, diversity and others I talked about.

Written By: 2001 on 10/17/17 at 11:54 pm

I really do apologize for how that YouTube thread turned out. I probably looked really bad back there. I had zero idea how to reply to someone with such an erratic posting style. Anyway, I've tried my best to de-escalate, as cranky and sleepy as I am.  :-[

Thankfully I didn't say anything about late 2008. I haven't been in the mood for decadeology myself lately. ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 10/18/17 at 7:59 am

It's so dumb. ::)

Just a bunch of one track minds obsessed with meaningless "shifts" and nothing else.

Written By: Elor on 10/18/17 at 8:14 am

Well guys the good thing is one can actually ignore threads. There is no rule that one has to follow and participate in all of them. ;)
I had one look at that thread, didn't find it to my liking and never opened it again. I know, it's pure magic but you can stay away from dumb threads. ;)

Seriously though, I remember when I was younger I too had to debate everybody on the net who I didn't agree with. But once you get older you'll realize that that won't work and you just create a lot of unnecessary stress. Just stay away from such topics and let people who want to lock horns do it without you.
Makes life a lot calmer.
:D

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/18/17 at 8:31 am

True. That might be main thing right now, but one day it won't be on the top anymore. Anyway, you should check out my other topics. I would actually like to hear your thoughts on what you think about promiscuity, nudity, Independence, diversity and others I talked about.

I'll definitely get around to reading them. :) It's 12:31am here at the moment, so I might save up my responses until mid-morning or afternoon. ;)

I really do apologize for how that YouTube thread turned out. I probably looked really bad back there. I had zero idea how to reply to someone with such an erratic posting style. Anyway, I've tried my best to de-escalate, as cranky and sleepy as I am.  :-
Well guys the good thing is one can actually ignore threads. There is no rule that one has to follow and participate in all of them. ;)
I had one look at that thread, didn't find it to my liking and never opened it again. I know, it's pure magic but you can stay away from dumb threads. ;)

Seriously though, I remember when I was younger I too had to debate everybody on the net who I didn't agree with. But once you get older you'll realize that that won't work and you just create a lot of unnecessary stress. Just stay away from such topics and let people who want to lock horns do it without you.
Makes life a lot calmer.

I understand the point you're making, however it makes it hard when seemingly every thread is about the supposed "Late 2008" shift, or when Early 2010s culture truly started or just anything to do with the Late 2000s and Early 2010s in general. I'm not suggesting that I don't want to see any Late 2000s or Early 2010s topics at all, however I do think it has really reached a saturation point in recent months. I do ignore a lot of the threads, but it makes it hard when the majority of the topics are receiving the most activity on the forum.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/17 at 1:23 pm

Makes life a lot calmer.

THIS!

Also, if you think "every" thread is about a certain topic, START YOUR OWN THREADS about different topics.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/18/17 at 3:05 pm

It's like someone discusses about one topic and then all of a sudden another different topic is discussed that has nothing to do with the topic at hand and then you get 10 pages of nonsensical dribble.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/18/17 at 5:24 pm

THIS!

Also, if you think "every" thread is about a certain topic, START YOUR OWN THREADS about different topics.

Cat

I do, but most of them don't get any responses.

Written By: SpyroKev on 10/21/17 at 10:31 pm

I do, but most of them don't get any responses.

I made a Most popular ethnicities of mainstream culture topic not too long ago I wish got more responses, I thought would be a pretty unique and fun topic. Its like, we're discussing an unrealized topic of popular culture people never talk about. I also made a Come up with your own song title thread that has interesting potential. Maybe I just sucked at the title of the topics.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 11/17/17 at 9:01 am

Personally what I find to be a problem on this thread is Philip Eno. Don't get me wrong he's a nice person, but he has all these threads where you post in an event that happened a certain amount of years ago at the current date. He posts in them almost every day and so everytime I log into the forum all I'll see is his threads at the top of every section. It gets really annoying, especially when you want to start a new topic and want people to see it.

Written By: annimal on 11/17/17 at 9:53 am

I keep myself happy just using the game room most the time

Written By: nally on 11/17/17 at 11:40 am

Personally what I find to be a problem on this thread is Philip Eno. Don't get me wrong he's a nice person, but he has all these threads where you post in an event that happened a certain amount of years ago at the current date. He posts in them almost every day and so everytime I log into the forum all I'll see is his threads at the top of every section. It gets really annoying, especially when you want to start a new topic and want people to see it.

You can "ignore" those threads if you'd like. There is an option to do so... but I think it's only accessible from the link up top that reads "Show unread posts since last visit."
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread

Then you'll see a list of threads that have been posted on since you last logged in. At the far right of each line is a checkbox. You can click the checkboxes that correspond to whichever threads you're not interested in, and at the bottom right corner of the webpage is a link that says "Ignore Topics." Click that, and those threads will be added to your "Ignore" list. Then you won't have to see them when you click the "View the most recent posts on the forum"

Written By: nally on 11/17/17 at 11:42 am

Makes life a lot calmer.

THIS!

I use that feature all the time, for threads that don't interest me.

Written By: 2001 on 11/17/17 at 12:46 pm

You can "ignore" those threads if you'd like. There is an option to do so... but I think it's only accessible from the link up top that reads "Show unread posts since last visit."

Then you'll see a list of threads that have been posted on since you last logged in. At the far right of each line is a checkbox. You can click the checkboxes that correspond to whichever threads you're not interested in, and at the bottom right corner of the webpage is a link that says "Ignore Topics." Click that, and those threads will be added to your "Ignore" list. Then you won't have to see them when you click the "View the most recent posts on the forum"

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't see any checkbox in the far right side nor any "ignore topics" button at the bottom right corner. ???

Written By: annimal on 11/17/17 at 12:51 pm

I only know a mark as read button.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/17/17 at 1:42 pm

I'm sorry, but 2008 was the first year of the late 2000s. 2009 was closer in feel to the earliest years of the 2010s than '08 was, but '08 is when we first started to break away from the core '00s. 2008 was the year when the TV shows introduced in the mid '00s, such as Friday Night Lights, reached their peak in popularity and Obama era music artists, like Katy Perry, made their debut. Aside from that, the highest grossing movie of that year was a sequel to a 2005 film. In other words, 2008 was the start of a new era. '09 was just the middle child. 2009 was a good year, but it was much less important to history than '08 was.

Written By: annimal on 11/17/17 at 4:01 pm

that's nice      Oh I'm going to be late to the arcade

Written By: nally on 11/17/17 at 4:33 pm

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't see any checkbox in the far right side nor any "ignore topics" button at the bottom right corner. ???

Then you can PM chucky or one of the lead mods about it.

I used to not have the feature when it was first implemented in early 2012, since I was in one of the special categories ("Website Editors"), but they fixed it so that such users could have that option.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/17/17 at 8:50 pm

I had thoughts on this to. Haha It doesn't bother me. Just, how can dude be so un lazy. Haha

Written By: wixness on 11/17/17 at 10:58 pm

I keep myself happy just using the game room most the time

Nice to see that people are still interacting with this site in some manner. If I'm not distracted by games, then I'm on Discord or busy with uni stuff. I wish I could go on here more, but it seems like this place is dying or whatever.

Written By: annimal on 11/17/17 at 11:21 pm

seems I'm the only person in the arcade any more

Written By: Howard on 11/18/17 at 7:45 am

I had thoughts on this to. Haha It doesn't bother me. Just, how can dude be so un lazy. Haha

I don't have a problem with his threads, I find them very informative.

Written By: annimal on 11/18/17 at 10:14 am

too informative for me.

Written By: nally on 11/18/17 at 11:16 am

I don't have a problem with his threads, I find them very informative.

I don't have a problem with them either, but sometimes they go a little overboard.

Written By: karen on 11/18/17 at 12:19 pm

I don't see it either.

Written By: nally on 11/18/17 at 5:54 pm

...well then, it must have to do with your settings.

From the "Ignore Topics" thread in Penguin News from January 2012:

no, it has to do with your profile settings
Modify Profile -> Look and Layout

scroll all the way to the bottom to "Show quick-moderation as:"

The three options are: don't show. checkboxes. icons. ("Don't show" is selected by default. "Checkboxes" will enable this option.)

Then hit "Change profile" when finished.

Written By: 2001 on 11/18/17 at 6:52 pm

...well then, it must have to do with your settings.

From the "Ignore Topics" thread in Penguin News from January 2012:

no, it has to do with your profile settings
Modify Profile -> Look and Layout

scroll all the way to the bottom to "Show quick-moderation as:"

The three options are: don't show. checkboxes. icons. ("Don't show" is selected by default. "Checkboxes" will enable this option.)

Then hit "Change profile" when finished.

Neato! It worked. Thanks! I can't believe such a useful feature is so well hidden. ;D

Written By: annimal on 11/18/17 at 6:59 pm

I'll just keep mine the way is

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/18/17 at 9:33 pm

I'm sorry, but 2008 was the first year of the late 2000s. 2009 was closer in feel to the earliest years of the 2010s than '08 was, but '08 is when we first started to break away from the core '00s. 2008 was the year when the TV shows introduced in the mid '00s, such as Friday Night Lights, reached their peak in popularity and Obama era music artists, like Katy Perry, made their debut. Aside from that, the highest grossing movie of that year was a sequel to a 2005 film. In other words, 2008 was the start of a new era. '09 was just the middle child. 2009 was a good year, but it was much less important to history than '08 was.

You've got to be kidding me. For crying out loud, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with cultural eras or the 2000s, yet you had to make it a discussion on something we have read millions of times before. You've just proved my point, what is happening to this site.  >:(

Written By: nally on 11/19/17 at 4:33 pm

Neato! It worked. Thanks! I can't believe such a useful feature is so well hidden. ;D

Glad I could help. O0 I had also forgotten how to activate it until I revisited that aforementioned thread from early '12. I knew Chucky explained how it worked.

I can't believe that either. It might have been useful in years before then, when there were certain threads that didn't interest me (and there are still some that don't), but I'm glad it was implemented.

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/21/17 at 2:13 am

Nice to see that people are still interacting with this site in some manner. If I'm not distracted by games, then I'm on Discord or busy with uni stuff. I wish I could go on here more, but it seems like this place is dying or whatever.

Well, it could be just going through a quiet phase.  :-\\ I get here when I can, but it's hard to find good topics to reply to that don't turn into debates about years and people's ages.

Written By: nally on 11/21/17 at 8:42 am

Well, it could be just going through a quiet phase.  :-\\

You could be right...although it does seem like that from time to time on here.

I get here when I can, but it's hard to find good topics to reply to that don't turn into debates about years and people's ages.

....which is kinda sad.

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/23/17 at 9:41 pm

InThe00s has definitely reached an end of an era. A lot of us still post but, that feel is missing now. Haha

This site was the ish 2015-2016.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/23/17 at 9:48 pm

I had a similar issue.

I ignored an entire sub-board a couple of years ago.

The threads I'd like to ignore are still at least 30% of the "new threads" when I log back in.

The real problem is that I could ignore all of those threads, and there'd be a thousand new ones entitled "The New New Thread People Wanted To Ignore for 2019!"

My solution was that I only come back once or twice a month.  (I screwed up this time - the bumped threads had pushed the content threads off the 12 pages * 20 threads = about 500-threads of "Updated since your last visit", and I missed about a week of stuff.

If anyone asked for an obscure song lyric, provided a description of an old toy, or something that actually warranted some research or response on my part in early November 2017, I apologize because I'll never see it, buried beneath another 50-60 bumped threads from someone who has more posts than anyone else on this board by an order of magnitude, and yet still fails to recognize that he's "won."

(If I weren't vehemently opposed to spam, I'd write a shell script to autogenerate posts to a thread at a rate of one post per second, and in two weeks I'd have more posts on this board than he did.  And as many readers.)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/24/17 at 4:14 am

InThe00s has definitely reached an end of an era. A lot of us still post but, that feel is missing now. Haha

This site was the ish 2015-2016.

I think you might be right. To be honest, I don't think it's even that enjoyable anymore. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/17 at 5:18 am

If anyone asked for an obscure song lyric, provided a description of an old toy, or something that actually warranted some research or response on my part in early November 2017, I apologize because I'll never see it, buried beneath another 50-60 bumped threads from someone who has more posts than anyone else on this board by an order of magnitude, and yet still fails to recognize that he's "won."

Please be aware that I am not the only one posting in those topics, other members do as well, in fact even more than me now, please direct your complaints to them not me. Thank you.

Written By: nally on 11/24/17 at 11:04 am

Part of the problem is that several of the users who were active prior to, say, 2011 or so, haven't even come here much, if at all. Maybe they have other obligations in their own lives and can't be on here much like they used to. I dunno.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/24/17 at 12:19 pm

You've got to be kidding me. For crying out loud, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with cultural eras or the 2000s, yet you had to make it a discussion on something we have read millions of times before. You've just proved my point, what is happening to this site.  >:(

Perhaps you should have told that to UltraGameDog. I was only responding to his message.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/17 at 3:31 pm

I think you might be right. To be honest, I don't think it's even that enjoyable anymore. :(

To me, it's still enjoyable.

Written By: nally on 11/24/17 at 3:33 pm

To me, it's still enjoyable.

Me too, I still think it is a great place to hang out.

Written By: annimal on 11/24/17 at 4:10 pm

my favorate so far  and like I said, there's an arcade here!

Written By: SpyroKev on 11/24/17 at 10:15 pm

Perhaps you should have told that to UltraGameDog. I was only responding to his message.

If you could have, you could have just copied, pasted and responded to his post in an intended topic. This is a topic where we want to get away from that.

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/02/17 at 10:35 pm

Ok, I've been around and the site's been very lively as of late with the classic users and positive feel I'm getting from the site now. Haha Its reminding me of fun times.

Written By: nally on 12/02/17 at 11:24 pm

Ok, I've been around and the site's been very lively as of late with the classic users and positive feel I'm getting from the site now. Haha Its reminding me of fun times.

I notice that some "classic users" were recently applauded, albeit on years-old posts. But they themselves haven't necessarily been by to make newer ones, it seems.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/08/17 at 7:03 pm

I think this place hasn't really died as much as it's been wounded somewhat.  :) I don't know? I've only been here for 9 years.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/11/17 at 10:29 am

I think this place hasn't really died as much as it's been wounded somewhat.  :) I don't know? I've only been here for 9 years.

Seems to me that this place has its ups and downs but mainly just keeps chugging along.  There use to be much more drama, but seems that most of the drama queens have departed

Written By: nally on 12/11/17 at 10:32 am

^ That's a good way to put it. O0

Written By: Longaotian00 on 12/24/17 at 5:20 pm

Why does everyone have to be a 'classic user' on here for people to actually like, it's not very nice and there are many new people on this forum who contribute a lot and make these threads somewhat interesting. My experience is some of you people who have been on here for a very long time think you own the place and come across as very rude. However, it would obviously be rude of me to judge you all, it's just my observations ;).

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/24/17 at 8:29 pm

However, it would obviously be rude of me to judge you all, it's just my observations ;).

Cause we're old? Getting older f's with me but, I'm glad I didn't miss majority of the 2000s, my favorite decade. I'm kind of amazed how much you took it to heart. Its really just a fun reference.

Honestly, I consider you and ReighMan classic users now. ReighMan feels as if he's been a member as long as me now. Both of you also brought an extension to the era and have distinctive personalities.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/24/17 at 11:12 pm

Ok, I think I have had enough of this forum. I came back a few months ago hoping that things would change, yet it's the same piece of s**t about Late 2000s cultural shifts, certain photos from ____ year and other rubbish. Now the forum is starting to become plagued by generation threads. Seriously, why can't all these ridiculous discussions on "Late 2008" shifts or the start/end of Gen Y be reserved for just two threads, or at the least, there should be a dedicated sub-board for those types of discussions. "Ignoring" those threads doesn't work, because they are literally posted in almost every single threads in the decades sub-boards.

Inthe00s is supposed to be a site about discussing pop culture, not ridiculous decadeology or other "cultural" shifts which people can't give a damn about. Another thing I dislike about inthe00s, is that most people don't give a crap about other countries. Yes, I know inthe00s is based in America and a fair proportion of members come from the States, but we have a lot of members who come from other countries as well. For instance, Elor is from Germany, longaotian is from New Zealand, fearsword and I are from Australia, and there are several UK-based members on this forum as well. Yet, very few people are interested in knowing what their countries are like or what the pop culture is like from those countries.

Until inthe00s improves in terms of the types of discussions, I won't be posting here anymore. I'm sorry, but I don't need to read the same piece of s**t that "Late 2008 was the start of the cultural 2010s" millions of times over.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 12/24/17 at 11:28 pm

Ok, I think I have had enough of this forum. I came back a few months ago hoping that things would change, yet it's the same piece of s**t about Late 2000s cultural shifts, certain photos from ____ year and other rubbish. Now the forum is starting to become plagued by generation threads. Seriously, why can't all these ridiculous discussions on "Late 2008" shifts or the start/end of Gen Y be reserved for just two threads, or at the least, there should be a dedicated sub-board for those types of discussions. "Ignoring" those threads doesn't work, because they are literally posted in almost every single threads in the decades sub-boards.

Inthe00s is supposed to be a site about discussing pop culture, not ridiculous decadeology or other "cultural" shifts which people can't give a damn about. Another thing I dislike about inthe00s, is that most people don't give a crap about other countries. Yes, I know inthe00s is based in America and a fair proportion of members come from the States, but we have a lot of members who come from other countries as well. For instance, Elor is from Germany, longaotian is from New Zealand, fearsword and I are from Australia, and there are several UK-based members on this forum as well. Yet, very few people are interested in knowing what their countries are like or what the pop culture is like from those countries.

Until inthe00s improves in terms of the types of discussions, I won't be posting here anymore. I'm sorry, but I don't need to read the same piece of s**t that "Late 2008 was the start of the cultural 2010s" millions of times over.

I agree with you.

That's why over the past few months, I've reduced my time on here.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/25/17 at 10:34 am

In ref to non- USA members, you guys are right.  Unfortunately we gringos are, as a rule, woefully ignorant of and not interested in most of what goes on in the rest of the world, to our own detriment 

Written By: annimal on 12/25/17 at 10:50 am

Whatever I am, I'm interested in the arcade. Oh yeah, I'm Caucasian.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/25/17 at 11:57 am

Seems to me that this place has its ups and downs but mainly just keeps chugging along.  There use to be much more drama, but seems that most of the drama queens have departed

Thank god for that!

Written By: Rainbowz on 12/25/17 at 4:01 pm

I agree with this. I think the late 2008 shift or late 2006 or whatever shift is really annoying, although to be fair the pictures from ___ year are actually quite interesting to look at.

Written By: Elor on 12/25/17 at 4:08 pm

In ref to non- USA members, you guys are right.  Unfortunately we gringos are, as a rule, woefully ignorant of and not interested in most of what goes on in the rest of the world, to our own detriment
There is life outside the US??? o_O :o

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/25/17 at 9:39 pm

I’m probably considered a “classic user” and have been on here a while.  Being a bit older, I perhaps have some unique perspectives to convey.  That said, I value newer users and enjoy hearing a young perspective.  I haven’t verbalized this before but I also love to hear the perspectives of people outside the U.S. – it really adds value to the discussions.  I hang out most on the Pop Culture boards since that’s where I have most interest (although I have the least to contribute about post-2000) and like to start new threads when I have an idea.  I’ve also recently discovered the games threads, a lot of fun.  I enjoy others’ new threads, but if something doesn’t interest me I move along and find something else that does.  I try not to complain, as I feel my perspective isn’t the only one that counts.  I hope that these comments are taken the way I mean them – that I like being here.  :)

Written By: Longaotian00 on 12/25/17 at 9:47 pm

I agree with this. I think the late 2008 shift or late 2006 or whatever shift is really annoying, although to be fair the pictures from ___ year are actually quite interesting to look at.

Yup, I enjoy looking at those picture threads and seeing how things from differnt years either look dated or modern, however those cultural shift discussions are really bringing the forum down.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/26/17 at 12:28 pm

There is life outside the US??? o_O :o

:o :o :o

Written By: nally on 12/26/17 at 5:58 pm

I’m probably considered a “classic user” and have been on here a while.  Being a bit older, I perhaps have some unique perspectives to convey.  That said, I value newer users and enjoy hearing a young perspective.  I haven’t verbalized this before but I also love to hear the perspectives of people outside the U.S. – it really adds value to the discussions.  I hang out most on the Pop Culture boards since that’s where I have most interest (although I have the least to contribute about post-2000) and like to start new threads when I have an idea.  I’ve also recently discovered the games threads, a lot of fun.  I enjoy others’ new threads, but if something doesn’t interest me I move along and find something else that does.  I try not to complain, as I feel my perspective isn’t the only one that counts.  I hope that these comments are taken the way I mean them – that I like being here.  :)

Excellent points.

I often find things on here that don't interest me either; likewise, I also move on in such cases.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/27/17 at 1:28 am

I agree with you.

That's why over the past few months, I've reduced my time on here.

Thanks for agreeing with me. :)

I hope inthe00s does eventually improve in quality, because I do genuinely like this forum and I use to enjoy posting on the boards. However, at this stage, it's leaving me feel incredibly frustrated at how repetitive and unnecessary a lot of the threads are. :(  8-P

Written By: Howard on 12/27/17 at 5:34 am

Excellent points.

I often find things on here that don't interest me either; likewise, I also move on in such cases.

If I find threads that I don't want to participate in I'll just ignore it and move on.

Written By: annimal on 12/27/17 at 10:41 am

same here, I just ignore them

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/27/17 at 11:05 am

It does seem like there is lots of decadeology these days, which is tedious, but if that's what folks want to talk about. oh well

Written By: nally on 12/27/17 at 11:41 am

If I find threads that I don't want to participate in I'll just ignore it and move on.

same here, I just ignore them

Me too, and I can conveniently do that with the "Ignore Topics" feature. In retrospect I kinda wish that feature was around in the early days of this site, because there were a number of active thread topics that didn't interest me.

Written By: nally on 12/27/17 at 11:42 am

It does seem like there is lots of decadeology these days, which is tedious, but if that's what folks want to talk about. oh well

And I thought we had a restriction on it! (That is, the information on "...why it is banned - please read" stickied at the top of each Decade section.) Yet some newer users don't seem to take that restriction seriously.

Written By: violet_shy on 12/27/17 at 6:54 pm

What's wrong with the forum?

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/28/17 at 8:23 pm

I hope inthe00s does eventually improve in quality, because I do genuinely like this forum and I use to enjoy posting on the boards. However, at this stage, it's leaving me feel incredibly frustrated at how repetitive and unnecessary a lot of the threads are. :(  8-P

Its not gonna improve, man. There needs to be a rule against it and then, that could be what really make the site go empty. You just have to make the best of what you have.

Man when I first joined, it was great. Its mind blowing. I enjoyed my time as a member.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 12/28/17 at 11:31 pm

Its not gonna improve, man. There needs to be a rule against it and then, that could be what really make the site go empty. You just have to make the best of what you have.

Man when I first joined, it was great. Its mind blowing. I enjoyed my time as a member.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. I can't see the decadeology threads ending anytime soon. If anything, it will probably only increase and there will be more "Late 2008 was the start of ____" threads. It seems like inthe00s is slowly dying. I've noticed a massive difference in terms of the quality of posts and online activity, even compared to when I joined in August 2016.

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/29/17 at 12:13 am

There are rules against it, but not enforced. Plus people don't all know exactly what decadeology is and to be fair, there is kind of a grey area. That and the people making these topics are from Personality Cafe where you're expected to analyze the crap out of everything and not just discuss current and past events casually. There really should be a sub forum for these decade and generation analyzing topics to keep it from cluttering up the place, so that way people who don't want to see it don't have to and those who partake in it don't have to leave because they really do contribute to other topics as well and aren't meaning to be disruptive.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/29/17 at 10:28 am

Unfortunately, you're probably right. I can't see the decadeology threads ending anytime soon. If anything, it will probably only increase and there will be more "Late 2008 was the start of ____" threads. It seems like inthe00s is slowly dying. I've noticed a massive difference in terms of the quality of posts and online activity, even compared to when I joined in August 2016.

It seems to me that there is just a lot of fuzzy thinking going around, lack of logic, lack of reasoning, and lack of clarity

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/09/18 at 4:04 pm

Is there a confessions topic?

I feel like the topic would add some spice to InThe00s. I need a break from nostalgia right now. Haha I guess I'm considering to post a paradox discussion topic. At least it'd be an attempt at variety.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/18 at 4:16 pm

I feel like the topic would add some spice to InThe00s. I need a break from nostalgia right now. Haha I guess I'm considering to post a paradox discussion topic. At least it'd be an attempt at variety.
There may be, Jeff (nally) will know, if not start one.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/09/18 at 4:45 pm

I also feel like, some of the subs have confusing tags. Like, penguin is a bit of a dated term now. It needs a more classic slogan to it. Just tag it "General Discussion, Random for example.

Move it to where it isn't at the bottom of the home page where it can be instantly noticed. Make a heartbreak sub for everything dating related, childhood crushes, people your attracted to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/18 at 4:46 pm

I also feel like, some of the subs have confusing tags. Like, penguin is a bit of a dated term now. It needs a more classic slogan to it. Just tag it "General Discussion, Random for example.

Move it to where it isn't at the bottom of the home page where it can be instantly noticed. Make a heartbreak sub for everything dating related, childhood crushes, people your attracted to.
A confession board?

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/18 at 7:06 pm

My New Year's  the ignore thread function a lot more. There's a lot of rehash threads or just wild speculation threads that you know are going to go nowhere and don't deserve any attention.  8-P

I know a forum that had this and it got real dark, with weird child molestation stories and KKK stuff. :o

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/09/18 at 9:07 pm

A confession board?

Scratch that. We're better off without it.

My New Year's  the ignore thread function a lot more. There's a lot of rehash threads or just wild speculation threads that you know are going to go nowhere and don't deserve any attention.  8-P

I know a forum that had this and it got real dark, with weird child molestation stories and KKK stuff. :o

Yeah, forget that.

Just rename some of the subs and add new ones. A heartbreak sub would be sick. Haha

Written By: nally on 01/09/18 at 10:22 pm

I'm not sure if there's such a thread on here, but that's not a bad idea at all!

Scratch that. We're better off without it.

Yeah, forget that.

Just rename some of the subs and add new ones. A heartbreak sub would be sick. Haha

Well in that case... we'll think of something else.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/09/18 at 11:03 pm

Well in that case... we'll think of something else.

There's really no way you can make a confession topic positive. It has potential by concept, that's it. Its unavoidably meant to turn deep and complex to enforce rules to.

I think a sub for anime would be good to for the heck of it. Isn't a technology sub also missing?

Written By: nally on 01/09/18 at 11:06 pm

There's really no way you can make a confession topic positive. It has potential by concept, that's it. Its unavoidably meant to turn deep and complex to enforce rules to.

Yeah, some people could interpret it the wrong way and start making things seem somber. We don't really want that. :-\\

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/10/18 at 10:55 am

Yeah, some people could interpret it the wrong way and start making things seem somber. We don't really want that. :-\\

Ok, maybe a technology and anime sub isn't needed since their decade associated.

We need a fitness sub, random and heartbreak sub.

Written By: nally on 01/10/18 at 11:22 am

Ok, maybe a technology and anime sub isn't needed since their decade associated.

Such topics could easily be discussed in their own threads. I think we have a fitness/exercise thread somewhere in TTT.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/10/18 at 12:49 pm

Such topics could easily be discussed in their own threads. I think we have a fitness/exercise thread somewhere in TTT.

I'm over it. The heartbreak thread might just end up my own personal thread which I'm cool with. Time to get to its updates.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/18 at 12:49 pm

There could be an eternally long relationship (s) thread, like the Longest Political Thread thread in the political section. But the relationships thread could be put in the Tenacious Tuxedo Talk section of this site.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/10/18 at 2:48 pm

There could be an eternally long relationship (s) thread, like the Longest Political Thread thread in the political section. But the relationships thread could be put in the Tenacious Tuxedo Talk section of this site.

I already created that with my "How is your date life going?" thread in Playful Penguin Place.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/18 at 2:58 pm

I already created that with my "How is your date life going?" thread in Playful Penguin Place.

I forgot, must have been hungry and lacking food!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/10/18 at 3:01 pm

A confession board?

that could be a good idea.

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/18 at 3:28 pm

We already have one with the "Weight loss/getting healthy support thread". Although it would be cool to have a separate fitness one, since I feel weird talking about weight (muscle) gain and eating more food/protein in a mostly weight loss thread ;D

Written By: nally on 01/10/18 at 6:25 pm

I have contributed to that thread, even though I've never actually gone on dates in my life. I'd like to someday, however.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/10/18 at 8:47 pm

I have contributed to that thread, even though I've never actually gone on dates in my life. I'd like to someday, however.

Same here.

Written By: nally on 01/10/18 at 11:55 pm

Same here.

I'm 37 1/2 (as of tomorrow morning) and have never even had a steady...although I did mention on that thread that there is at least one young lady I'm interested in.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/11/18 at 1:03 am

I'm 37 1/2 (as of tomorrow morning) and have never even had a steady...although I did mention on that thread that there is at least one young lady I'm interested in.

Yeah, I remember you talking about her. Oh well, best luck to the both of us in our quest for a relationship :).

Written By: nally on 01/11/18 at 1:18 am

Yeah, I remember you talking about her. Oh well, best luck to the both of us in our quest for a relationship :).

Yep, it was right here http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=55521.450 in reply #453 and again in #456.

Thanks. :)

Written By: Howard on 01/11/18 at 5:47 am

I've been on two dates and that's about it for me.

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/16/18 at 7:25 pm

I miss user Infinity, New York Eagle, Looney Toon and JordanK. Damn.

Get your asses back on this site and update us.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/16/18 at 7:53 pm

Infinity still posts on SharksFan99's forum called popedia.boards.net. It's a good website.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 01/16/18 at 8:25 pm

I miss them as well :\'(.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/16/18 at 9:25 pm

3 of them still post here, but not as often due to some unnecessary threads or they have important things to take care of.  As for NYE, I don't think he will return. He actually made a second account some months ago, but it was deleted later on.

Written By: nally on 01/16/18 at 11:02 pm

3 of them still post here, but not as often due to some unnecessary threads or they have important things to take care of.  As for NYE, I don't think he will return. He actually made a second account some months ago, but it was deleted later on.

yeah, he deleted his account twice.

Those other three users, still have their accounts. I'm sure they have various things in their lives going on.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/17/18 at 1:04 am

I've tried to get in contact with NewYorkEagle (just to hear how he has been), however he has completely ignored my messages. I don't think he will ever come back, unfortunately.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/17/18 at 1:10 am

#Infinity continues to post regularly on Popedia, which is a pop-culture/media forum I created several months ago. She still does post on inthe00s though. In fact, she made a post in a thread in the '90s sub-board just yesterday. In relation to NewYorkEagle, as UltraGameDog suggested, I think he has moved on, unfortunately. Looney Toon continues to post on an semi-regular basis. I think he made a few posts only a couple days ago actually. I assume JordanK is simply too busy at the moment and has other commitments. 

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/17/18 at 10:25 am

Infinity still posts on SharksFan99's forum called popedia.boards.net. It's a good website.

I seen it. I guess I may get to occasionally lurking the site.

Nah, man. Its not that their busy, InThe00s ran its course for a lot of us. They lurk this site all the time but nothing is changing as far as discussions so they don't log in and leave after a few minutes. That's why Jordan suddenly showed up when ReighMan posted his How is your date life going thread. It was fun and something new.

Those are those special types of threads that make you log in just to contribute to them and, you don't want to miss their hype.
#Infinity continues to post regularly on Popedia, which is a pop-culture/media forum I created several months ago. She still does post on inthe00s though. In fact, she made a post in a thread in the '90s sub-board just yesterday. In relation to NewYorkEagle, as UltraGameDog suggested, I think he has moved on, unfortunately. Looney Toon continues to post on an semi-regular basis. I think he made a few posts only a couple days ago actually. I assume JordanK is simply too busy at the moment and has other commitments. 

I know you do a good job keeping decadeology from it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/17/18 at 10:35 am

Yes, decadeology is sort of rampant here of late.  So why do you guys keep doing it if you don't like it?  Why not boycott those threads and/or report them?

Written By: SpyroKev on 01/17/18 at 10:39 am

Yes, decadeology is sort of rampant here of late.  So why do you guys keep doing it if you don't like it?  Why not boycott those threads and/or report them?

I never contribute to decadeology, dude. Haha It literally kills my brain cells.

Written By: annimal on 01/17/18 at 10:58 am

I don't do decadeology either. The arcade around here is still great

Written By: Howard on 01/17/18 at 2:48 pm

I've tried to get in contact with NewYorkEagle (just to hear how he has been), however he has completely ignored my messages. I don't think he will ever come back, unfortunately.

Why?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/17/18 at 3:13 pm

Why?

I don't know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/18 at 3:19 pm

Why?
To lead his own life?

Written By: nally on 01/17/18 at 10:38 pm

I never contribute to decadeology, dude. Haha It literally kills my brain cells.

I never contribute to it either. In fact, I thought it was strictly forbidden on here (as indicated by the "...why it is banned, please read" threads stickied at the top of each decade section).

Written By: nally on 01/17/18 at 10:40 pm

The arcade around here is still great

I agree, I like to play a number of those games as well (altho I haven't done much of it as of late). It's still fun.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/18/18 at 12:43 am

Thanks. Although, it hasn't been something that I've had to monitor. A lot of regulars from inthe00s regularly post on it, however they don't post decadeology-type threads, which is a good thing. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/18 at 1:10 am

Thanks. Although, it hasn't been something that I've had to monitor. A lot of regulars from inthe00s regularly post on it, however they don't post decadeology-type threads, which is a good thing. :)
I keep well away from it.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 01/18/18 at 1:21 am

I keep well away from it.

The decadeology threads? I generally don't read them either. Sometimes I may read one or two, but that's about it.

Written By: nally on 01/18/18 at 1:23 am

The decadeology threads? I generally don't read them either. Sometimes I may read one or two, but that's about it.

I steer clear of them. If one comes up (even a years-old one that somehow got revived), I add it to my "ignore" list.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/18 at 1:34 am

True, yes read with me, but not post.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/18 at 1:52 pm

Since the first time "decadeology" appeared on this board, I have always ignored it. If people wanted to talk about crap like that, that is their business. It doesn't effect me one way or the other. I have always had issue with people spamming the boards with their crap. That had always been my complaint.

When I first agreed to take on this mod job, I told Chucky that I didn't want to be the "decadeology police." He was fine with that.

Yes, I realize that it seems to be getting out of hand-the spamming is coming back again. I really hate being the "decadeology police" because in my view, that is censorship-something that I don't like. And I don't like the fact that I am the one doing the censoring.

That being said, I think something does need to be done with the amount that is on the boards. So, I am going to start locking threads that I deemed as decadeology. I'm sure it will p!ss off a few people-just like it p!sses people off by NOT doing it. (Damned if I do and damned if I don't.)

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 01/24/18 at 2:56 pm

I'm very guilty of enabling decadeology.  ;D  :-X

Bad 90sbreath, bad, bad, bad 90sbreath!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I do admit, it is kinda fun realizing that a decade's influence just doesn't go away once the clock hits midnight on January 1, 1990. And that even the eras within decades aren't perfectly laid out, solid, and has trends that overlap each other. I think it makes pop culture, decades, and eras, very interesting.

But it can get tedious, boring, and repetitive after 10 years of the same thing, "1990 is like 1988," or whatever. If you go on other forums, they talk about the things, trends, and actual specific things, in the decade, not the 'feeling,' or 'perspectives about' things of the decade.

Check for new replies or respond here...