inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Status-Quo of Relationships

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/28/17 at 10:54 pm

This is something I find to be really annoying and you generally see it a lot in everyday life, whether it be out in public, on TV or in movies. It's the fact that women generally have the "upper hand" in relationships. A relationship is meant to be based on shared values and opinions between two people, yet, you so often see men who just let the girlfriend/wife boss them around and they never voice their own opinion. I can't stand it. For instance, if you're out shopping for new furniture, why does it all depend on what the girlfriend/wife does or doesn't like? What about the husband? Can't he get a say on the matter too?

As for myself, i've personally never been in a relationship before, but I would never let my girlfriend/wife boss me around and not let me have my say on things. I'm to individualistic for that to ever happen. I would want to have my opinion on matters too, even if it was over comical things such as what furniture to buy, or what our plans should be. I'm not suggesting that the girlfriend/wife shouldn't have their say on things, however I just wish it was more equally split between the two. One person's opinion shouldn't dominate over the other. Yet, it seems like so many people out there, in society, fail to understand this and just "suck up" to their partner, regardless of their own viewpoint or what their own feelings are. I know i'm generalising here, but I just see it happen so often and to be honest, it does seem like women in relationships have the "trump card", so to speak. Obviously it doesn't apply in all cases.

Subject: Re: Status-Quo of Relationships

Written By: 2001 on 10/28/17 at 11:22 pm

A woman is always right. Learn this lesson early IMO. ;D

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/98/3b/4a/983b4a9688966da7276475e723cd3795--for-always-love-us.jpg

Just kidding. Of course you should speak up for yourself when necessary.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/29/17 at 9:49 am

I'm not sure where Shark's observation comes from but I think it is highly inaccurate.  The thing is, when you're in a relationship (really all the time) you need to decide what battles are worth fighting.  As people interact one will occasionally have strong feeling, likes or dislikes, while the other is like...Whatever.  In such cases why fight?  When I have strong opinions, however, I stick up for them until a compromise is reached

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/17 at 2:37 pm

Happy wife, happy life.  :D ;D ;D ;D

I'm not sure where Shark's observation comes from but I think it is highly inaccurate.  The thing is, when you're in a relationship (really all the time) you need to decide what battles are worth fighting.  As people interact one will occasionally have strong feeling, likes or dislikes, while the other is like...Whatever.  In such cases why fight?  When I have strong opinions, however, I stick up for them until a compromise is reached

What Carlos said. Some battles aren't worth fighting.

When we were having the house done, our contractor would laugh at the two of us making our decisions. When I would "win," he would turn to Carlos and said, "You lose again." When he would "win" he would say to him, "Wow, you won one." I then told him that I have to let Carlos win once in a while.  ;) :D :D

Cat

Written By: karen on 10/29/17 at 2:52 pm

What Carlos said. Sometimes I have a strong opinion on something and will argue my point, and other times I really don't care so Dai makes the decision. If we both feel strongly, but opposite, then we talk things through and work out what is best.

For example, on the whole, I don't really care what car we drive so Dai chooses. I do like to have a look though because there are one or two I don't like the look of and have refused to even test drive them. However in terms of curtains etc I mainly choose, because Dai is colour blind and can't always tell what matches.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/29/17 at 6:00 pm

I see it so often in everyday life, even between my Mum and her fiance'.  The husband just allows the wife to control the relationship and decide every single aspect of it. An example of it is the character of Herb off Two and a Half Men. I mean, you even hear husbands jokingly refer to their wife as "bosses".  I know there are times where one partner will have a strong opinion, while the other won't at all, however i'm talking about scenarios where the husband rarely speaks up at all and simply lets the girlfriend/wife decide everything. It happens a lot. In public, on TV shows and in movies. Don't get me wrong, i'm not suggesting that all relationships are like this and I don't want to offend anyone, but it does happen, more than you think.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/30/17 at 9:12 am

I see it so often in everyday life, even between my Mum and her fiance'.  The husband just allows the wife to control the relationship and decide every single aspect of it. An example of it is the character of Herb off Two and a Half Men. I mean, you even hear husbands jokingly refer to their wife as "bosses".  I know there are times where one partner will have a strong opinion, while the other won't at all, however i'm talking about scenarios where the husband rarely speaks up at all and simply lets the girlfriend/wife decide everything. It happens a lot. In public, on TV shows and in movies. Don't get me wrong, i'm not suggesting that all relationships are like this and I don't want to offend anyone, but it does happen, more than you think.

But as you said (above) you have never been in a relationship and your observations are limited to your circle and the media, which when it comes to relationships tends to focus on stereotypes

Check for new replies or respond here...