inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How can we convince people to stop using streaming services?

Written By: wixness on 01/25/18 at 11:06 am

Copied from a thread in PersonalityCafe

I've been having a conversation with some people on Reddit, where I initially proposed the use of universal basic income to mitigate copyright infringement (really, the effects of piracy) to content owners/creators. I believe that this would help convince them to not take down content so much if the reason they're doing it is as a response to piracy.

Eventually, we came to the realisation that there's nothing we can do about how our content can only be accessed and never kept, now that streaming services are quickly becoming the norm. This is especially since the content owners would find it easier to assert their rights over content, and that people cannot access the content without paying (with YouTube or Spotify, this might be through ad revenue or whatever), and that they'll never own it. If you were to watch something on Netflix, you'd get annoyed by how the TV series or film you were watching would get taken down before you have finished it - this has happened to someone I was talking to on Discord when they were watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series via Netflix.

This upsets me because I would like all the content that ever exists (or most of them, if there's a good reason unrelated to intellectual property law to ditch the content) to be kept forever. Sadly, people believe that it's a good thing - I don't think it is, because I cannot keep trusting or practically continue supporting the owner(s) of the intellectual property to create the content I want; sometimes, I'd have to resort to actually pirating the content, which is the last thing they want to happen in the first place.

I will not be able to depend on other content owners because they won't have the incentive to create the content I like as well. I might not even be allowed to recreate the content because of intellectual property law, and it is highly unlikely that ownership of intellectual property gets transferred. Is this what they want, their entire business to fall apart from piracy? They should just beat the pirates to it by making it easier to access and own (e.g. by removing DRM measures on content), and not ruin it for everyone else.

Subject: Re: How can we convince people to stop using streaming services?

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/26/18 at 11:13 am

Maybe I'm obtuse, but its not clear to me what you are saying.  Copyright and patent laws are designed to protect the creators regardless of weather or not you (or anyone else) likes the product.  Piracy is stealing, plane and simple.  As the owner of a few copyrights myself, I have  no problem sharing my work unless it is used to generate profit for someone else.  Then I want a cut.

Written By: wixness on 01/26/18 at 12:20 pm

Maybe I'm obtuse, but its not clear to me what you are saying.  Copyright and patent laws are designed to protect the creators regardless of weather or not you (or anyone else) likes the product.  Piracy is stealing, plane and simple.  As the owner of a few copyrights myself, I have  no problem sharing my work unless it is used to generate profit for someone else.  Then I want a cut.

If it's not making profit, then it gets taken down. If it gets taken down, it becomes hard to legally access. If the content is unavailable (legally or practically), the content owners still have the right to the property but no one can do anything about it - if they want it, there's nothing they can do to access it. The content owners can choose to make money off of something else. I kind of object to this because there's content out there that I like that isn't easily available.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/26/18 at 12:39 pm

If it's not making profit, then it gets taken down. If it gets taken down, it becomes hard to legally access. If the content is unavailable (legally or practically), the content owners still have the right to the property but no one can do anything about it - if they want it, there's nothing they can do to access it. The content owners can choose to make money off of something else. I kind of object to this because there's content out there that I like that isn't easily available.

I see what's being said here. It's the "access vs. ownership" argument.  The "overlords" of streaming can't be trusted, be it Spotify or Apple or whoever. There is no guarantee the content will always be available. They could pull it down at a moment's  notice. The company could merge or go out of business or change formats, leaving you high and dry. "Back in the day" (see another thread here for usage of that term) if one bought an album one could listen to it whenever one pleased. If you put the album in your cabinet (or whoever you kept your albums) you KNEW it would be there the next time you wanted to listen to it. Nobody else owned or controlled it except you. Nobody except you knew when or what you listened to. Now the "overlords" keep complete track of you. They know your preferences and tendencies and feed them back to you as algorithms. It's creepy. To some people however, this is "convenience".

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/27/18 at 10:50 am

So record what you like while it's available.  Hell, there's a bunch of old TV shows that I would love to see again (you probably never heard of them, like "Maverick" or "Have Gun. Will Travel") which just aren't around. Oh well

Written By: 2001 on 01/27/18 at 10:55 am

Are you against the idea of copyright itself, or do you just dislike streaming?

Check for new replies or respond here...