inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First funeral you attended

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 02/21/18 at 12:55 am

-When was it, how old were you?
-Who's funeral was it?
-Is it the first funeral you remember, or were you too young to remember it?
-What was the experience like for you, being however old you were?

My first funeral I attended when I was 2, in February 2000, was my great-grandfathers. Obviously I don't remember it. The first one I remember is my paternal grandfather's in April 2002, when I was 4. He died early of heart disease.
At that age I was just learning the concept of death, so it was something I tried to understand at the time.

Subject: First funeral you attended

Written By: Dude111 on 02/21/18 at 5:28 am

I dont remember how old i was but my grandmothers was the first one I went to....... It was very sad..... I miss grandma alot :(

Subject: Re: First funeral you attended

Written By: Howard on 02/21/18 at 3:12 pm

I think the first one was I believe My Grandfather's funeral.

Written By: Elor on 02/21/18 at 3:31 pm

My grandfather's funeral. I was 20 at that time and in the army. It was a very sad thing but ultimately topped in that by the funeral of my father. :-[

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 3:47 pm

An uncle's, when I was 5 or 6. Even though I was young, I think I had an understanding of death. I cried a bit, but I'm not sure if that's because everyone else was crying or if I truly understood the gravity of what just happened. For most my childhood/teenagehood I heard of a significant death almost every year, so I got acclimatized to the idea rather early on.

My grandfather's funeral. I was 20 at that time and in the army. It was a very sad thing but ultimately topped in that by the funeral of my father. :-[

That's really sad. My condolences.  :\'(

Written By: nally on 02/21/18 at 3:50 pm

My great-grandmother (that is, my mother's mother's mother), when I was 8. Of course it was a sad experience, but I knew she'd been ill during her final weeks of life. Still, when she was alive I was lucky to have a great-grandparent around.

My maternal grandfather died when I was 5, but I did not actually attend his funeral. Still, he was the first close relative mine to die.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/18 at 4:13 pm

The first funeral I attended was my maternal grandfather's funeral back in 2004 when I was two years old. He died of lung cancer from smoking too much. I don't remember it at all though.
The first funeral that I have an actual vivid memory of was my paternal grandfather's funeral 10 years later, in 2014, he died in September that year from Parkinson's Disease. The experience for me was very shocking and sad because it was the very first funeral that I attended with a clear memory and he was an amazing grandfather. It was hard to watch my paternal grandmother and dad cry.

Written By: nally on 02/21/18 at 4:15 pm

The first funeral I attended was my maternal grandfather's funeral back in 2004 when I was two years old. He died of lung cancer from smoking too much. I don't remember it at all though.

My maternal grandfather also died of cancer; he, too, smoked a lot.

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 7:47 pm

Another funeral (or post-funeral, rather) I attended was my friend's father's funeral when I was 7. He was also a heavy smoker, I think he died his 40s and left his 7 year old kid behind. My friend had a very rough childhood because of that :\'(

Written By: 2001 on 02/21/18 at 7:49 pm

The first funeral that I have an actual vivid memory of was my paternal grandfather's funeral 10 years later, in 2014, he died in September that year from Parkinson's Disease. The experience for me was very shocking and sad because it was the very first funeral that I attended with a clear memory and he was an amazing grandfather. It was hard to watch my paternal grandmother and dad cry.

Grandparent deaths have been the hardest for me (so far). I was terrified looking at my parents crying hysterically and knowing it would be me in the same position one day.  :\'(

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/21/18 at 7:53 pm

Grandparent deaths have been the hardest for me (so far). I was terrified looking at my parents crying hysterically and knowing it would be me in the same position one day.  :\'(

True and that's just scary and sad to know. That's why even though I argue with my parents sometimes, I still really love them. You only get one mom and one father.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/18 at 6:08 am

My great-grandmother (that is, my mother's mother's mother), when I was 8. Of course it was a sad experience, but I knew she'd been ill during her final weeks of life. Still, when she was alive I was lucky to have a great-grandparent around.

My maternal grandfather died when I was 5, but I did not actually attend his funeral. Still, he was the first close relative mine to die.

My grandfather died in 1989. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 02/22/18 at 6:08 am

mine died of a heart attack at age 77. :(

Written By: Howard on 02/22/18 at 6:09 am

True and that's just scary and sad to know. That's why even though I argue with my parents sometimes, I still really love them. You only get one mom and one father.

that's right.  :)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/22/18 at 10:56 am

The first funeral I attended was my uncle's funeral back in 2002 when I was 3. My uncle was only 21 (a few days before his 22nd birthday) when he was shot and killed :\'(.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/22/18 at 2:52 pm

My great-uncle's when I was about 16.

I did go to my great-grandfather's wake when I was about 8 or so but not his funeral. As for my other grandparents/great-grandparents, I was always too far away to attend.

Cat

Written By: nally on 02/22/18 at 5:51 pm

mine died of a heart attack at age 77. :(

My maternal grandmother suffered a heart attack at that age, but barely survived... she then received quadruple bypass surgery that kept her alive for 15 more years, and then suffered a paralyzing stroke. This Saturday it'll be four years since she went to heaven.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/24/18 at 5:43 pm

The first funeral I ever attended was my sister.  I don't want to go into many details about what happened because it's really a personal thing.  But after that, my parents just started to not care about what my brother and I did while we were at school or at home, dependent upon who had us at the time our mom or our dad.  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/24/18 at 6:30 pm

The first funeral I ever attended was my sister.  I don't want to go into many details about what happened because it's really a personal thing.  But after that, my parents just started to not care about what my brother and I did while we were at school or at home, dependent upon who had us at the time our mom or our dad.  ::) ::) ::)

(((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 03/02/18 at 10:32 am

My molester's funeral.

I was seven and a half. I did cry, but it might have been more out of relief than anything, although everyone thought I was crying because I was sad to lose my buddy. Nah.

I hope it was painful for him, and that he felt every bit of Death's icy grip before he slipped into nothingness.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 03/31/18 at 7:44 pm

My grandfather who fought in WWII died in March 2005, I don't remember the funeral.

My great grandmother died in 2009, and of course I remember that funeral. Here's a picture of me, my siblings, and my cousin,

http://i68.tinypic.com/33xj3tz.jpg

The most recent one I went to was in 2013, when my uncle died.

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 7:52 pm

The first (and probably only) funeral that I went to was for my paternal grandpa back in June of 2005. There was a memorial service for my maternal grandpa back in July 2017 though, except he was already cremated by the time it happened.

Check for new replies or respond here...