inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were/are there any transgender kids in your high school?

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/28/18 at 12:12 pm

With opinions on transgender people aside, were/are they are transgender kids in your high school.

I'm a sophomore in high school, so I started high school in August 2016, and there aren't any transgender people in my school, to my knowledge. I'm a white kid in a predominantly black school (roughly 80%.) It's also a career tech school. The reason why I mention this is because I'm pretty sure this can vary on the school's racial demographics. From my knowledge, most transgender people are white.

I attended middle school from August 2013 to May 2016, and there was a gay kid a grade above me, who'd mostly hang out with girls, who had long hair. He then transferred to a 7-12 school that my older sister also went to and my sister told me he was now transgender. I also looked him up on Facebook, and yeah, he's definitely transgender now.

Subject: Re: Were/are there any transgender kids in your high school?

Written By: xenzue on 04/28/18 at 12:47 pm

With opinions on transgender people aside, were/are they are transgender kids in your high school.

I'm a sophomore in high school, so I started high school in August 2016, and there aren't any transgender people in my school, to my knowledge. I'm a white kid in a predominantly black school (roughly 80%.) It's also a career tech school. The reason why I mention this is because I'm pretty sure this can vary on the school's racial demographics. From my knowledge, most transgender people are white.

I attended middle school from August 2013 to May 2016, and there was a gay kid a grade above me, who'd mostly hang out with girls, who had long hair. He then transferred to a 7-12 school that my older sister also went to and my sister told me he was now transgender. I also looked him up on Facebook, and yeah, he's definitely transgender now.

I think that this is because most trans POC experience more prejudice than white trans kids due to their layered identity. Many Black/Hispanic kids hide their identity until they enter adulthood, otherwise they'd be kicked out, or worse... During my HS years there were only a few trans kids out of about 1200.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/18 at 12:55 pm

When I was at school there was no noticeable transgender kids, and the conception of the idea really did not exist.

Written By: Wobo on 04/28/18 at 12:59 pm

Some famous person at my old school called Skinny Minny T that person is transgender i remember around last year that person came to my school and everyone ran out of the school just to see her. And that person was black.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/18 at 3:11 pm

Not when I was in High School between 1988-1992.

Written By: Elor on 04/28/18 at 3:47 pm

None that I'm aware of.

Written By: nally on 04/28/18 at 6:28 pm

When I was at school there was no noticeable transgender kids, and the conception of the idea really did not exist.

Same here; the idea wasn't there during my school years either.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 04/29/18 at 3:27 am

Not that I know of and I was in high school in the early 00s. Now there was a gay guy in my class, that I ran in to at a gay club way, way after graduating, like 2014 or so, he was in transistion.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 04/29/18 at 3:55 am

There was someone in the year group above me (Class of 2016) who transitioned from a female to a male. I don't know him personally, although i'm aware that he received a lot of support from his peers and the school staff alike. Interestingly enough, my High School had a fairly sizable LGBT community. One of my best friends in my primary school was gay.

Written By: wixness on 04/29/18 at 5:34 am

I did come across one at sixth form.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/29/18 at 11:48 am

If by transgender you mean physical transformation, then absolutely not since that procedure didn't exist back then.  I'm sure there were gay and lesbian students, but they were all "in the closet".  It was a different time 

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/29/18 at 12:15 pm

I don't think there was at all and I went to secondary school in 2008 - 2014! then again I live in a small, fairly conservative town so I guess if I lived closer to a city there might have been.

Written By: karen on 04/29/18 at 1:37 pm

I don't think so, nor am I aware of any that changed afterwards.

My son says his friend wants to become a girl at some point. He has an alternative name his friends call him and I know a group of them went shopping and advised him on clothing etc.  NOt sure if there are any plans to do anything official yet as the boy is 16 and goes to an all boys school

Written By: Howard on 04/29/18 at 3:05 pm

Same here; the idea wasn't there during my school years either.

during my High School years there was only straight people (men and women)

Written By: nally on 04/29/18 at 5:20 pm

during my High School years there was only straight people (men and women)

There might have been a few openly gay students when I was in highschool.

Written By: gibbo on 04/29/18 at 10:03 pm

I went to a boys school. We've had 10 year, 30 year and 40 year reunions ... and I wouldv'e noticed if any women were present.  ;)  Additionally, there was no scuttlebutt about anyone being transgender. A couple of guys had 'come out' as gay ... but no transgenders.

All this means is that they are a really small percentage of society.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/30/18 at 2:20 pm

Not that I knew of.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/18 at 2:53 pm

None that I knew of. There may have been some gays but they were all pretty much in the closet in those days.

I did babysit for a guy who was gay. His boyfriend was a real flamer. I always thought that flamers were so stereotypical because all the gays I knew back then were not flamers-until I met this guy. I must admit that I had a hard time not laughing at him. But I was about 17 at the time.

Cat

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/05/18 at 7:43 pm

Yeah, off the top of my head, I remember several lesbian girls who were EXTREMELY butch, like if you didnt know they were girls you'd swear they were boys. (I almost asked one out in 9th grade before someone said, "His name is Brittany") It wasn't just "I'm a girl who likes girls" they were boys. How they walked, dressed, acted spoke. they were boys.

And there was a boy who was very fem. Like he wore his hair long and styled like a girl, the long acrylic nails and everything. I know he got kicked out of prom in '02 (he was 2 years ahead of me) because he came dressed in a long gown with his boyfriend instead of a suit like other boys And he was probably girlier than me.

But I'm in Texas so you know if anyone is different they're targeted. The same boy that got kicked out of prom got stomped after prom by some other boys.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/15/18 at 5:47 pm

No. I went to a unisex Catholic high school and at the time, trans issues were not even on the radar. I graduated in 2009. We had several gay men. One of whom was a gay black man who delighted in making the jocks of the school uncomfortable. He was not afraid of them or his sexuality or ashamed of his identity. I always admired that and am sad I wasn't closer to the guy. It is interesting in that a couple of women I knew during high school, who at the time never expressed any gender issues but rather identified then as bisexual, now are openly transgender. I don't think they perhaps even know they were at the time. One for example was a highly feminine girl who seemed more feminine and assured of herself than most.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/15/18 at 5:51 pm

Only one.

Written By: 2001 on 06/15/18 at 5:56 pm

Huh? Transgender/non-binary people (hijra) were mentioned in the Hindu epics Mahabharata, Ramayana and the Kama Sutra, written almost 2500-3000 years ago.

Anyway, I never met any transgender people while I was in high school. I met my first non-binary person actually just a couple of days ago when I met my friend's sibling.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/15/18 at 6:53 pm

Nope, none at all. Everyone comes out after high school.

Written By: Contigo on 11/16/21 at 1:36 pm

I don't think so.
I graduated high school almost 50 years ago, no one ever came out
as gay or lesbian either. I think if they had , 99% of the people would have been OK with it and accepted them.
To be perfectly honest , it was not a thing anyone though about back then at school ( Wherher you were straight or gay)

Written By: karen on 11/16/21 at 3:10 pm

I don't think so, nor am I aware of any that changed afterwards.

My son says his friend wants to become a girl at some point. He has an alternative name his friends call him and I know a group of them went shopping and advised him on clothing etc.  NOt sure if there are any plans to do anything official yet as the boy is 16 and goes to an all boys school

This friend of my sons then attended a girls school for the last two years of school, and is now at university as a female.

We have two other trans students and a teacher that now uses the non-binary they/them and has changed to a unisex first name.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/17/21 at 10:23 am

Like Contigo said, in the 60' no one talked about such things

Written By: Ripley on 11/17/21 at 4:41 pm

No one was trans. And it wasn’t until our senior year when I was aware of a gay student. Of course back in ‘00 - ‘03, when I was in high school, it was less common for people to come out. Especially in school. To add a note, I grew up in a very small town, a thousand people maybe, and we had around 60 students in my class. Most of the kids in my class were all there from Kindergarten moving forward. There was one girl in the class under mine who was gay, but I didn’t find out until after graduating. A few years later a girl in the class above me came out as gay. Then, one of my sister’s classmates and friends she came out. My cousin, who is 6 years younger than me and went to my school, came out as gay after he graduated. Those are the ones I know of but still none were trans.

Check for new replies or respond here...