inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did You Learn About This In School?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/29/18 at 5:35 pm

This is mainly for the younger people here. I am very curious as to what is being taught in schools today. So my question is have you learned about (no order):

-The Holocaust
-The Vietnam War
-Japanese Interment
-The American Revolution
-Dred Scott
-The Civil War
-Brown vs Board of Education
-The War of 1812
-The Civil Rights Act
-Iran Contra
-The Constitution
-The Declaration of Independence

There are so many others but I will leave it here for now. I know this is all American History. I am just wondering what history is being taught these days.

Cat 

Subject: Re: Did You Learn About This In School?

Written By: nally on 04/29/18 at 5:38 pm

Good list, Cat. I'm pretty sure I learned about all those things in my American History classes in school. When I had such a class in high school, it was during my junior year (1996-97); we primarily focused on more "recent" stuff, specifically the events of the early to mid 20th Century.

Written By: piecesof93 on 04/29/18 at 5:44 pm

Yes. Only thing I don't remember is the Iran Contra.

Written By: nally on 04/29/18 at 5:49 pm

Yes. Only thing I don't remember is the Iran Contra.

It happened in the 1980s, during the Reagan presidency, so it might have been a little recent for my history classes. However, I'm pretty sure it was in my history textbook for the aforementioned class, as that book seemed to go into the early 1990s (ending with Bill Clinton becoming president in 1993).

Written By: Wobo on 04/29/18 at 6:03 pm

What i learned at school:
American Revolution
Civil War
Constitution
World War 1
Slavery
Civil Rights Movement
The Declaration of Independence
9/11
Brown vs Board of Education

What i learned myself:
World War 2
Vietnam War
Korean War
The Holocaust

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/29/18 at 8:17 pm

Yeah, I've learned all of that in school except for the Iran Contra. That's most likely because it was probably still too recent in history at the time.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/29/18 at 8:35 pm

This is mainly for the younger people here. I am very curious as to what is being taught in schools today. So my question is have you learned about (no order):

-The Holocaust
-The Vietnam War
-Japanese Interment
-The American Revolution
-Dred Scott
-The Civil War
-The War of 1812
-The Civil Rights Act
-Iran Contra
-The Constitution

There are so many others but I will leave it here for now. I know this is all American History. I am just wondering what history is being taught these days.

Cat

I learned about all of these things in school.

However, we only glossed over The War of 1812 and Iran-Contra (because it's relatively recent).

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/29/18 at 8:44 pm

-The Holocaust
-The Vietnam War
-Japanese Interment
-The American Revolution
-Dred Scott
-The Civil War
-The War of 1812
-The Civil Rights Act
-Iran Contra
-The Constitution

Cat

I'm finishing up my sophomore year of high school and I've learned about all of those in school except Iran Contra and the War of 1812.

Written By: gibbo on 04/29/18 at 10:43 pm

Obviously, Australian schools di not focus heavily on the events on your list. However, in our Modern Hisrory class we touched on all but the following (and that's all it was ... a touch on it):

Dered Scott  (never heard of this person ... will have to check it out)
The War of 1812 (I wasn't aware that the US had 2 conflicts with Great Britain)
Iran Contra (hadn't happened at the time I was in school ... I'll have to ask Olly North about it)

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/30/18 at 9:47 am

I find it  interesting that the youngsters here are familiar with most of Cat's list yet polls and surveys focusing on these and other historical facts,  Americans seem to be deplorable ignorant about their own history.  As George Santayana said, "Those who are ignorant of their own history and condemned to repeat it."  So I'm  wondering if members of this board are exceptionally well informed

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/18 at 10:05 am

-The Holocaust
-The Vietnam War
-Japanese Interment
-The American Revolution
-Dred Scott
-The Civil War
-The War of 1812
-The Civil Rights Act
-Iran Contra
-The Constitution

Cat 

Been taught British history when I attended school, none of the above subjects I was educated in. We had WW2 in my syllabus, but The Holocaust was not mentioned, but at the same time of my learning was a television series "The World At War" which explained all to me.

Since my visit to the USA in 2013, I have gained more interest in US history, especially the Presidents. I still get confused between The American Revolution, The Civil War, and The War of 1812, in what happened in which.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/30/18 at 1:01 pm

I find it  interesting that the youngsters here are familiar with most of Cat's list yet polls and surveys focusing on these and other historical facts,  Americans seem to be deplorable ignorant about their own history.  As George Santayana said, "Those who are ignorant of their own history and condemned to repeat it."  So I'm  wondering if members of this board are exceptionally well informed

I think so. We're just more well informed than a lot of our peers.

Most of my classmates in high school didn't care about history, I was one of the few who was a "master historian" ;D.

Most of them just learned to pass the quiz or test and that's it. They forget about it the very next day :P.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/18 at 1:05 pm

I think so. We're just more well informed than a lot of our peers.

Most of my classmates in high school didn't care about history, I was one of the few who was a "master historian" ;D.

Most of them just learned to pass the quiz or test and that's it. They forget about it the very next day :P.
In one sense, where will the future historians come from?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/30/18 at 2:10 pm

In one sense, where will the future historians come from?

That's a field that will probably experience a steep decline.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/18 at 2:38 pm

Been taught British history when I attended school, none of the above subjects I was educated in. We had WW2 in my syllabus, but The Holocaust was not mentioned, but at the same time of my learning was a television series "The World At War" which explained all to me.

Since my visit to the USA in 2013, I have gained more interest in US history, especially the Presidents. I still get confused between The American Revolution, The Civil War, and The War of 1812, in what happened in which.

The Revolution (1775-1783) is where the U.S. gained its independence from the Great Britain.

The War of 1812 (1812-1815) was an off-shoot of the Napoleonic wars with Great Britain. It had to do with the blockage by the U.K. of French trade ships with the U.S. which the U.S. contested. And also the fact that the U.K. navy pressed U.S. citizens into service. Some say that the War of 1812 was the second Revolution from Great Britain.

The Civil War (1861-1865) was fought between the north & the south about slavery. Some argue that it was the "war between the states" and was about states rights. But, it was about SLAVERY-plain and simple. Some claim that we are STILL fighting it.

That is basically it in a nutshell. Of course there is a lot more that could be said about all of them.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/18 at 2:48 pm

The Revolution (1775-1783) is where the U.S. gained its independence from the Great Britain.

The War of 1812 (1812-1815) was an off-shoot of the Napoleonic wars with Great Britain. It had to do with the blockage by the U.K. of French trade ships with the U.S. which the U.S. contested. And also the fact that the U.K. navy pressed U.S. citizens into service. Some say that the War of 1812 was the second Revolution from Great Britain.

The Civil War (1861-1865) was fought between the north & the south about slavery. Some argue that it was the "war between the states" and was about states rights. But, it was about SLAVERY-plain and simple. Some claim that we are STILL fighting it.

That is basically it in a nutshell. Of course there is a lot more that could be said about all of them.

Cat

I know of the Boston Tea Party, I have even been to Griffin's Wharf on my visit.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/18 at 2:57 pm

I know of the Boston Tea Party, I have even been to Griffin's Wharf on my visit.

There is a lot more to the Boston Tea Party that most history books cover. They don't mention how the tea was super old-had been sitting in warehouses for maybe as long as 7 years. And with the new taxes, if the ship came into the harbor, the colonists would have had to pay for the tea that they didn't want. So, dumping it into the harbor solved the problem.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/18 at 2:59 pm

There is a lot more to the Boston Tea Party that most history books cover. They don't mention how the tea was super old-had been sitting in warehouses for maybe as long as 7 years. And with the new taxes, if the ship came into the harbor, the colonists would have had to pay for the tea that they didn't want. So, dumping it into the harbor solved the problem.

Cat
O0

Written By: Elor on 05/01/18 at 9:27 am

Here in Germany we learned about the Holocaust (surprise, surprise... :-\\) but nothing else on that list. I do know a few thing about some of those topics though because of personal interest and being on mainly American forums (mainly Vietnam, the Civil War and the Japanese Internment of WWII) .

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/18 at 9:32 am

Here in Germany we learned about the Holocaust (surprise, surprise... :-\\) but nothing else on that list. I do know a few thing about some of those topics though because of personal interest and being on mainly American forums (mainly Vietnam, the Civil War and the Japanese Internment of WWII) .

This question was intended for the young American members of this site (like me :)).

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/01/18 at 9:35 am

None of this is surprising.  There is no reason for non-US-ians to study US history in any depth, and it is arrogant for us to think that you should (Cat agrees with this).  By the same token, most of us have only a passing knowledge of the history of other countries 

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/01/18 at 9:45 am

-The Holocaust
-The Vietnam War

Speaking from an Australian perspective, they are the only topics out of your list that I learnt in school. Other topics I learnt in history include:

- The Industrial Revolution in the UK
- Ancient Egypt
- Maya civilization
- History of Indigenous Australians before & after European settlement.
- World War I & the Gallipoli Campaign

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/18 at 10:07 am

This question was intended for the young American members of this site (like me :)).
I feel as if I am still young at heart.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/18 at 10:51 am

I feel as if I am still young at heart.

That may be true but you're aren't American :P.

Written By: nally on 05/01/18 at 10:53 am

Cat

That is quite interesting! I hadn't realized that fact about the tea itself.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/18 at 10:54 am

That may be true but you're aren't American :P.
Hence my struggle with American history.

Written By: Elor on 05/01/18 at 11:23 am

That is DISCRIMINATION!!!!
All non Americans get your pitchforks and torches!

;) ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/18 at 11:45 am

That is DISCRIMINATION!!!!
All non Americans get your pitchforks and torches!

;) ;D

We have guns remember :D :D ;D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/18 at 11:51 am

With that right to bear arms!

Which I think is the Second Amendment?

Written By: Jessica on 05/01/18 at 12:16 pm

-The Holocaust
-The Vietnam War
-Japanese Interment
-The American Revolution
-Dred Scott
-The Civil War
-The War of 1812
-The Civil Rights Act
-Iran Contra
-The Constitution

Cat 

I can't speak for the public schools right now because I'm homeschooling the kid, but we've been studying WWII pretty deeply for two weeks now. That includes the internment camps, the Holocaust, the shifting loyalties, isolationism, etc. Vietnam is coming up pretty soon. This is for 7th grade general World History. I'm assuming that when he goes back to public school next year, he'll learn the US History portion, but I do bring up some of it when it pertains to what we're studying.

Written By: Elor on 05/01/18 at 12:42 pm

But we have the right to beer arms:
https://s6.postimg.cc/4cu9loxr5/oktoberfest-1.jpg

That is correct.

Ok, I'm done derailing this thread. Sorry for the inconvenience of German humor....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/18 at 12:52 pm

The point of this thread is not to exclude non-Americans, but basically question the state of the American education system. IMO, the American education system has been under attack for a few decades now. Teachers are being paid less & less and required to preform more & more. Books, supplies, & even the schools themselves are totally outdated and falling apart. Teachers often pay for their own supplies out of their meager paychecks. Many Teachers are forced to take on second or even 3rd jobs to make ends meet. Many are also on public assistance. And now we have a Secretary of Education who knows nothing about teaching or about education and basically wants to turn public education in this country into a voucher system.

Being a teacher in a former life, we had ONE package of construction paper for the year for a 5th grade class. I also remember the last time I stood in front of a class as a substitute teacher for 7th grade. They were learning Macbeth-but it wasn't Macbeth by William Shakespeare but Macbeth For Dummies. REALLY? I don't know who's decision it was-the teacher's? The school's? The district? I don't know.

Teachers in this country are finally fighting back-in West Virginia, Oklahoma (where my late sister was a teacher), Arizona, & Colorado teachers are walking out and demanding change.

My questions just focused on History (which is where my degree is in) but there are also other areas. I know cursive is no longer being taught. There are areas of English & Literature. I have already told my my story about Macbeth. What about areas of math & science? And of course world events-which is why most Americans really don't know too much about what is going on in the world outside the U.S. To be fair, I am often guilty of this myself-but thanks to the people here from other countries, I have an understanding of it.

There was a time when schools offered to teach students other areas. I remember taking classes in shop, cooking, sewing, & even drafting. I know there used to be schools that offered classes in auto mechanics. Now everything is cut, cut, cut. Schools are lucky if they have classes in art, music, & foreign languages. The only thing that seems to remain is sports. But, if a student is not athletic, well, he/she is s.o.l. (s**t out of luck).

Ok, I will get off my soapbox now. Sorry.

Rant is over.

Cat

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/18 at 2:21 pm

But we have the right to beer arms:
https://s6.postimg.cc/4cu9loxr5/oktoberfest-1.jpg
That is correct.

Ok, I'm done derailing this thread. Sorry for the inconvenience of German humor....

I like that German humor ;).

It reminds me of British humor (Is that OK to say? :-X)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/18 at 2:22 pm

Yes, that is correct (or so it seems).

Written By: Howard on 05/01/18 at 2:29 pm

and knives too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/18 at 2:30 pm

Yes, that is correct (or so it seems).
...and the Fifth Amendment, is the right to remain silent when arrested or in court?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/18 at 2:31 pm

Lawn Darts can be dangerous too?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/18 at 2:35 pm

...and the Fifth Amendment, is the right to remain silent when arrested or in court?

Yes, that is correct O0.

Lawn Darts can be dangerous too?

Yes but not as dangerous as an AR-15 :-X :-X :-X.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/18 at 2:37 pm

Yes, that is correct O0.
Of the other Amendments, I do not know.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/18 at 2:39 pm

Of the other Amendments, I do not know.

There's 25 more Amendments for you to learn then :P.

Written By: Elor on 05/01/18 at 2:39 pm

It reminds me of British humor (Is that OK to say? :-X)
No, it isn't, it's "humour" in real English. ;)

@Cat
If my derailings of this thread go too far feel free to remove my joke posts (I'm just bored out of my skull today).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/01/18 at 2:42 pm

That's why we had our revolution ;).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/18 at 3:37 pm

You have the right not to incriminate yourself.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

To me, the most important is the First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

If you want to do something that our president hasn't done, read THIS:

https://constitutioncenter.org/media/files/constitution.pdf

That is what makes the United States the United States.

We keep a small copy of it in our living room as reference-even though we do have several copies of it all over our house in various books. 

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/01/18 at 3:42 pm

@Cat
If my derailings of this thread go too far feel free to remove my joke posts (I'm just bored out of my skull today).

Hey, I'm for a good joke. But yours on the other hand....

J/K.  ;) :D ;D ;D

I think humor (or humour) is essential to life. If we can't laugh at ourselves, the world would be in a pretty sorry state (worse than it is already).

Cat

Written By: Elor on 05/02/18 at 8:08 am

The point of this thread is not to exclude non-Americans, but basically question the state of the American education system. IMO, the American education system has been under attack for a few decades now. Teachers are being paid less & less and required to preform more & more. Books, supplies, & even the schools themselves are totally outdated and falling apart. Teachers often pay for their own supplies out of their meager paychecks. Many Teachers are forced to take on second or even 3rd jobs to make ends meet. Many are also on public assistance. And now we have a Secretary of Education who knows nothing about teaching or about education and basically wants to turn public education in this country into a voucher system.

Being a teacher in a former life, we had ONE package of construction paper for the year for a 5th grade class. I also remember the last time I stood in front of a class as a substitute teacher for 7th grade. They were learning Macbeth-but it wasn't Macbeth by William Shakespeare but Macbeth For Dummies. REALLY? I don't know who's decision it was-the teacher's? The school's? The district? I don't know.

Teachers in this country are finally fighting back-in West Virginia, Oklahoma (where my late sister was a teacher), Arizona, & Colorado teachers are walking out and demanding change.

My questions just focused on History (which is where my degree is in) but there are also other areas. I know cursive is no longer being taught. There are areas of English & Literature. I have already told my my story about Macbeth. What about areas of math & science? And of course world events-which is why most Americans really don't know too much about what is going on in the world outside the U.S. To be fair, I am often guilty of this myself-but thanks to the people here from other countries, I have an understanding of it.

There was a time when schools offered to teach students other areas. I remember taking classes in shop, cooking, sewing, & even drafting. I know there used to be schools that offered classes in auto mechanics. Now everything is cut, cut, cut. Schools are lucky if they have classes in art, music, & foreign languages. The only thing that seems to remain is sports. But, if a student is not athletic, well, he/she is s.o.l. (s**t out of luck).

Sounds bad. I mean the US education system never had a great reputation to begin with but that really is awful... Maybe a 1% tax on firearms sales and booze for funding schools would go a long way... just saying. ::)
BTW since you mentioned paychecks, are you guys really payed with checks in the US or is that just a saying? Because over here checks are pretty much non existent anymore. Money gets directly transferred to employees accounts. ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 8:18 am

Sounds bad. I mean the US education system never had a great reputation to begin with but that really is awful... Maybe a 1% tax on firearms sales and booze for funding schools would go a long way... just saying. ::)
BTW since you mentioned paychecks, are you guys really payed with checks in the US or is that just a saying? Because over here checks are pretty much non existent anymore. Money gets directly transferred to employees accounts. ???

That's false, the United States used to be ranked consistently at #1 in the world for education but only within the past 15-20 years has the US fallen to "middle of the pack".

However, the US is still #1 when it comes to higher education. We do have the best colleges in the world.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/02/18 at 9:48 am

That's false, the United States used to be ranked consistently at #1 in the world for education but only within the past 15-20 years has the US fallen to "middle of the pack".

However, the US is still #1 when it comes to higher education. We do have the best colleges in the world.

Yes, we do have some of the best, if you can afford them.  When I went to Rutgers tuition was $400/semester and there were state scholarships that most of us got for....$400 per sem.  Today in state tuition is $32,000 + R&B and books

Written By: Elor on 05/02/18 at 9:52 am

PISA would disagree with you on this though.
The graph below needs some explanation as it's in German:
The Headlines are Country, Mathematics, Reading Comprehension and Science. Below that are the years. The numbers are the points scored and the number in brackets is the overall place of that country.
https://s6.postimg.cc/mp3r4u91t/pisa.jpg
Source:https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/PISA-Studien

Which only few can afford. ::)

Darn, Carlos was faster than me. ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 11:15 am

PISA would disagree with you on this though.
The graph below needs some explanation as it's in German:
The Headlines are Country, Mathematics, Reading Comprehension and Science. Below that are the years. The numbers are the points scored and the number in brackets is the overall place of that country.
https://s6.postimg.cc/mp3r4u91t/pisa.jpg
Source:https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/PISA-Studien

Um, yeah...that chart confirms my statement lol.

Which only few can afford. ::)

Darn, Carlos was faster than me. ;D

I guess so.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 11:17 am

Yes, we do have some of the best, if you can afford them.  When I went to Rutgers tuition was $400/semester and there were state scholarships that most of us got for....$400 per sem.  Today in state tuition is $32,000 + R&B and books

Tell me about it. It's absolutely ridiculous. I'm experiencing that tuition burden/debt right now :(.

No offense but Baby Boomers play a big role in why college is so expensive now.

Written By: karen on 05/02/18 at 11:27 am

Two British universities are ranked higher than the best US university according to the Times Higher rankings

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2018/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 12:40 pm

Two British universities are ranked higher than the best US university according to the Times Higher rankings

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2018/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

The best....overall.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/18 at 12:48 pm

I can't speak for everyone and it has been a long time since I was in the workforce. When I was, we had the option of having "direct deposit" or getting a check. In the military, they pushed for direct deposit. After I got out, to me, it just seemed like a no brainer. But, when I was subbing, I did get a check because I never knew when or where I was going to work. Some weeks I might work only 1 day and others 5. And I may have worked in about 3 different schools in a single week.

Cat

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 1:14 pm

I'm so glad that my home state New York has the Excelsior Scholarship which makes college tuition free for all NYers whose personal or family income is under $125,000.

More states need to adopt this program.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/18 at 1:48 pm

I'm so glad that my home state New York has the Excelsior Scholarship which makes college tuition free for all NYers whose personal or family income is under $125,000.

More states need to adopt this program.

I was very lucky that Uncle Sam paid for my undergraduate. When I went on to graduate school, I was on my own-but I did have help from my grandmother.

Cat

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 2:38 pm

I was very lucky that Uncle Sam paid for my undergraduate. When I went on to graduate school, I was on my own-but I did have help from my grandmother.

Cat

Yeah, those military benefits. That's a big reason why my friend joined the Army last year.

Written By: meesa on 05/04/18 at 5:51 pm

So I'm  wondering if members of this board are exceptionally well informed

I would venture a guess that you are correct. Most of the younger folks here seem to be quite well informed and bright.
In the era of 'teach to the test', most young people are memorizing facts to pass the test and then forgetting afterwards. I don't blame the teachers-our current educational system doesn't give them much leeway for anything else.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/18 at 7:40 am

I've learned about sex protection in High School.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/05/18 at 9:47 am

I would venture a guess that you are correct. Most of the younger folks here seem to be quite well informed and bright.
In the era of 'teach to the test', most young people are memorizing facts to pass the test and then forgetting afterwards. I don't blame the teachers-our current educational system doesn't give them much leeway for anything else.

Yes, it's very discouraging, and I saw the results as a college prof, especially their lack of ability to analyze facts rather than just list them, and their very limited general knowledge

Check for new replies or respond here...