inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do people in your city say "Good Morning" but not "Good Afternoon/Evening"?

Written By: 2001 on 09/26/18 at 7:34 pm

In my city, if you head out in the morning, most people say hi, good morning, or make small chat while passing by on the street or at the park. The weird thing is though, they only do this in the early hours of the morning. Past 11AM or so, most people look at the ground or look away. A head nod is about the most acknowledgement anyone can hope for and people generally avoid conversation. I think it's really strange ???

I think I might be guilty of this. I was riding my bike back home from work. I was waiting for the bus (the bus has a bike rack). A lady who was also waiting with me complimented me and said "nice bike!", I said "thank you" but that was the end of it. I think partly it might have been because I don't actually want a nice bike that could be a thief target (so it was a bad complment lol), but also I felt it was awkward to be talking to strangers so late in the day and during rush hour. Afterwards I felt pretty guilty for having fail social skills. :-[

Does anyone else's city do this?

Subject: Re: Do people in your city say "Good Morning" but not "Good Afternoon/Evening"?

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/30/18 at 11:18 am

Haven't noticed it around here

Subject: Re: Do people in your city say "Good Morning" but not "Good Afternoon/Evening"?

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/01/18 at 11:51 am

People who I work with, me included, have a habit of saying "Good morning" after noon. Because it feels like it 24/7.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/01/18 at 3:09 pm

A related thing I have noticed is that often when I am buying something in a store or other retail establishment, after I finish my purchase the person behind the counter will say "have a good night (or evening)" even if it is early in the day, like 1 PM! It's probably just force of habit, but it seems to be their default way of saying goodbye. And it happens a LOT.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/18 at 7:08 am

Over here it is as it is for the time of day, Good Morning, Good Afternoon, and Good Evening.

btw, I always say Goodnight at the end of the day before going to sleep.

Check for new replies or respond here...