inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I need everyones help with a situation please

Written By: John Titor on 01/11/19 at 11:02 am

So my apartment failed inspection a few days ago and my Lanlord yelled at me, I am not sure of what to do. Let me recap

- I have had a warped bathroom ceiling since 2015 (he has been aware of this, never fixed it) until it failed inspection, He has
to put a new ceiling in and paint the walls, there is a guy right now doing this in my bathroom as I speak.

- Carbon monoxide detector is dead (it somehow passed inspection last year he is aware of this) he never replaced it until today
because he can't rent out unless it passes the test

- Stove is rusty (he has been aware of this since 2015 never fixed it) he is only changing the stove now because he cant rent out unless
he fixes it, I have told him many times I need a new stove. He has seen my stove countless times in the last few years.

-Railing Outside is wobbly  on the outside of the house, he is only fixing it once again........... because he is forced to

- There was mold found in the high ceiling of the livingroom.

So he comes in today yelling at me saying " you have to upkeep things because I am not going to let u live here anymore if you don't fix things"

Need I mind you day 1 when I moved here in 2011 there was almost an electrical fire because he hired an electrician who didn't wire the house right.

Subject: Re: I need everyones help with a situation please ( LandLord yelled at me)

Written By: SmartBo1 on 01/11/19 at 11:10 am

I sympathize with your situation and all...but you couldn't have chosen a more awkward place to bring it up.

Subject: Re: I need everyones help with a situation please ( LandLord yelled at me)

Written By: John Titor on 01/11/19 at 11:12 am

I sympathize with your situation and all...but you couldn't have chosen a more awkward place to bring it up.

I was literally on here as he was yelling at me

What should I do

Written By: SmartBo1 on 01/11/19 at 11:18 am

I don't really know what your financial situation is, but I guess I would recommend starting by fixing the easier things like the carbon monoxide detector and the railing.

Written By: 2001 on 01/11/19 at 11:19 am

I never rented an apartment before, but isn't there a complaint board where you can take this to? It's his job to upkeep that plave. Imo if he keeps leaving things broken it might be time to move out (unless there's rent control or some other reason you're still staying there).

Written By: John Titor on 01/11/19 at 11:29 am

I never rented an apartment before, but isn't there a complaint board where you can take this to? It's his job to upkeep that plave. Imo if he keeps leaving things broken it might be time to move out (unless there's rent control or some other reason you're still staying there).

That is what I was thinking, how am I suppose to fix a ceiling in the bathroom that looks like this ?

https://img-aws.ehowcdn.com/350x235p/photos.demandstudios.com/getty/article/18/127/87823993_XS.jpg

^ similar to this, He even knew that the bathroom looked like that and even offered to help me chip little pieces off in 2016, but he never fully fixed it.
It has remained like that until today.

I have no clue to to do DIY Construction jobs, I never went to a trade school, I don't know how to glue plywood.
I am not an electrician I have no idea how to do wirework, I have no clue how to replace a stove, I have no clue how to glue a railing.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/19 at 5:09 pm

It's the landlord's responsibility to repair "normal wear and tear". So unless somehow you are unreasonably damaging stuff it is LANDLORD who needs to do the fixes.

All that said, he sounds like a slumlord. Time to look for a batter place.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/19 at 6:11 pm

I agree with LyricBoy, sounds like a slumlord. Yes, the landlord IS responsible. You have a couple of choices. 1. You can start looking for a better place to live, or 2. You can fight him. If you fight him, you should find a renters' advocate. You would have to learn what the laws are in your state. When I was renting and I had a landlord who didn't repair something that I had told him about many times, I withheld rent until it was repaired. I was within my legal right to do that. I don't know if your state has that law.

Of course the easiest thing is choice 1. Find a better place to live-which is what I would do, ASAP!

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/12/19 at 11:33 am

Cat is right, the landlord is responsible.  Complain in writing and in detailed specifice, keep a copy of your letter, and send it return receipt requested.  Withhold the rent (it must be available) until the work is completed.  If he sues or tries to evict you can probably get free legal help.  But it would be easier to move

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/19 at 4:44 pm

I agree with LyricBoy, sounds like a slumlord. Yes, the landlord IS responsible. You have a couple of choices. 1. You can start looking for a better place to live, or 2. You can fight him. If you fight him, you should find a renters' advocate. You would have to learn what the laws are in your state. When I was renting and I had a landlord who didn't repair something that I had told him about many times, I withheld rent until it was repaired. I was within my legal right to do that. I don't know if your state has that law.

Of course the easiest thing is choice 1. Find a better place to live-which is what I would do, ASAP!

Cat

Cat is right, the landlord is responsible.  Complain in writing and in detailed specifice, keep a copy of your letter, and send it return receipt requested.  Withhold the rent (it must be available) until the work is completed.  If he sues or tries to evict you can probably get free legal help.  But it would be easier to move

When the Moon is in the Seventh House...
And Jupiter aligns with Mars...

LyricBoy, CatwomanofV, and Don Carlos agree on something.  ;D.  8)

Subject: I need everyones help with a situation please

Written By: Dude111 on 01/13/19 at 9:56 am

Im so sorry John,I hope you get things OK soon!!!!! (Dont let him blame YOU for stuff he didnt do!!)

Subject: Re: I need everyones help with a situation please

Written By: Blue Monday on 01/14/19 at 4:45 pm

To the OP:  Sorry to hear about this situation.  Your landlord sounds like a real a-hole.  He's trying to get you to repair & pay for things that he should be doing. 

I have lived in apartments in the past, for many years.  And, I agree with those who say that you - as a renter - are not responsible for paying for repairs or maintenance in the unit, especially if you didn't cause the problems to begin with.  Yes, read your renters agreement to get clarification on this.  I.e., if you don't own the unit why is the landlord hassling you for damages?  He should be fixing these - at least that's my understanding.

I also agree with those who have said you should document everything in writing.  And, yes - if at all possible look for another place to live - you definitely don't want to continue living in this place unless it's absolutely necessary.

Here's another tip that I learned from living in numerous apartments for years:  When you move to a new place, immediately go around the apartment & make a written note about any damages you notice.  I.e., water stains in the ceiling, appliances not working, stains in the carpet, etc.  Then, document this - in writing - to the landlord/landlady; I'd also take pictures of this, if possible.  This way, they can't claim that you caused the damages - since they were there when you moved in.

One of the reasons people live in apartments to begin with is because they don't want to be responsible for all of the maintenance/upkeep that's involved in owning your own place.

Going along with this, I currently live in a townhouse, and am personally responsible for all of the upkeep/repairs in the unit.  However, I pay mortgage on the unit & do own this (for all practical purposes).  So, there's a big difference here.

Written By: John Titor on 01/14/19 at 5:48 pm

To the OP:  Sorry to hear about this situation.  Your landlord sounds like a real a-hole.  He's trying to get you to repair & pay for things that he should be doing. 

I have lived in apartments in the past, for many years.  And, I agree with those who say that you - as a renter - are not responsible for paying for repairs or maintenance in the unit, especially if you didn't cause the problems to begin with.  Yes, read your renters agreement to get clarification on this.  I.e., if you don't own the unit why is the landlord hassling you for damages?  He should be fixing these - at least that's my understanding.

I also agree with those who have said you should document everything in writing.  And, yes - if at all possible look for another place to live - you definitely don't want to continue living in this place unless it's absolutely necessary.

Here's another tip that I learned from living in numerous apartments for years:  When you move to a new place, immediately go around the apartment & make a written note about any damages you notice.  I.e., water stains in the ceiling, appliances not working, stains in the carpet, etc.  Then, document this - in writing - to the landlord/landlady; I'd also take pictures of this, if possible.  This way, they can't claim that you caused the damages - since they were there when you moved in.

One of the reasons people live in apartments to begin with is because they don't want to be responsible for all of the maintenance/upkeep that's involved in owning your own place.

Going along with this, I currently live in a townhouse, and am personally responsible for all of the upkeep/repairs in the unit.  However, I pay mortgage on the unit & do own this (for all practical purposes).  So, there's a big difference here.

update on the situation

HE replaced the stove with a NEW LG unit, however...........this dude had to watch a youtube tutorial on his phone to put it together................ 5 hours later the stove is making a RRRRR RRRRR sound and it won't stop

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/15/19 at 10:31 am

Get in touch with the local housing inspector.  That stove could be dangerous.  If its gas it could explode.  If its electric it could cause a fire if not properly installed.  In my state it would have to be installed by either the gas company or an electrician.  Don't wait, it could be highly dangerous

Written By: Blue Monday on 01/15/19 at 10:10 pm

Get in touch with the local housing inspector.  That stove could be dangerous.  If its gas it could explode.  If its electric it could cause a fire if not properly installed.  In my state it would have to be installed by either the gas company or an electrician.  Don't wait, it could be highly dangerous

Agree 100% with this.  Anyone who tries to replace a stove using a Youtube video obviously doesn't know what they're doing. 

My stove is 20+ years old & has never made any kind of noises like the one you're describing.  And, if a stove is turned off, it definitely shouldn't make ANY noises.

Written By: Elor on 01/16/19 at 7:28 am

Is it an induction stove? Those are noisy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odhzbSIN66I

Written By: Blue Monday on 01/16/19 at 10:02 pm

Good to know about the induction stove - Thanks for the post.

Check for new replies or respond here...