inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Big storm!!

Written By: Dude111 on 01/17/19 at 9:09 am

Some of you are gonna get lots!!

http://i.imgur.com/quov8Ps.gif

Wow..... Anyone live in the affected areas??

Subject: Re: Big storm!!

Written By: 2001 on 01/17/19 at 10:07 am

We're not getting too much snow from this storm in Southern Ontario/Toronto area, only 5 cm (2 inches). The storm on Saturday is a biggie though, not only are we getting 15 cm (6 inches) of snow, temperatures are plunging to -25°C (-13°F) or -36°C (-33°F) with the windchill on Saturday and Sunday.  :\'(

Written By: Dude111 on 01/17/19 at 10:21 am

Yes not a good weekend coming!!!!!!!!!

Written By: shadowcookie on 01/17/19 at 10:41 am

Snow.. what’s that again? I forget. Last time it snowed here was back in March.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/19 at 1:01 pm

For I don't know how many weeks, there have been major storms coming from the west coast. California has been nailed-storm after storm after storm. The good news is that the High Sierras have the snow pack that was lacking and will probably fill up those reservoirs that had been depleted from the drought for the last few years. The bad news is the fact that areas had burned so much that there are no trees to stop the water and it is causing major flooding.

We have been watching these storms as they cross the country. They get to the east coast and just go off to sea and totally avoids New England-well, at least northern New England. Carlos & I laugh about it because so many people complain about Vermont weather when we look around the country and see how it is in other regions. My sister in Oklahoma is getting more snow that we are.

This one storm may not miss us like the rest of them have. However, we are New England stock and have known BIG snowstorms in the past and are prepared for them. And we also know that many times they make a big deal out of storms and it turns out that they were more bark than bite-at least here.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/17/19 at 1:58 pm

We will be getting snow but probably not much from this system. They said most likely a coating to an inch or 2 by Saturday Night into Sunday and a rain/snow mix by next week. Last time we got a significant amount was way back in November 2018 when it snowed 6 inches but then it melted a day and a half later.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/17/19 at 2:00 pm

Does anyone notice that is is THE FEXACT same STORm FROM The Day Afder Tomorrow??

Written By: Dude111 on 01/17/19 at 4:03 pm

.....And we also know that many times they make a big deal out of storms and it turns out that they were more bark than bite-at least here.

Lets hope this one turns out like that!! :)

Written By: nally on 01/17/19 at 6:58 pm

For I don't know how many weeks, there have been major storms coming from the west coast. California has been nailed-storm after storm after storm. The good news is that the High Sierras have the snow pack that was lacking and will probably fill up those reservoirs that had been depleted from the drought for the last few years. The bad news is the fact that areas had burned so much that there are no trees to stop the water and it is causing major flooding.

So true; it has been raining each of the last 4 days (including today); the storm should be passed through by now.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/18/19 at 2:44 am

I live where the blue part passes through, I don't know what that means between blue, purple, and green shown on that clip.

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/19 at 4:57 am

I live where the blue part passes through, I don't know what that means between blue, purple, and green shown on that clip.

Purple is sleet I think. Weird that a colour further away from green (rain) than blue (snow) is for sleet, usually it's the other way around.

Anyway, the """storm""" on Saturday has been downgraded to 2 cm (1 inch) as opposed to the previous 15 cm (6 inches). Not much snow fell from yesterday's "storm" either (not more than an inch), it was just a regular snowy day. The media is so sensationalist!

Extreme cold warning still in effect though.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/19 at 7:49 am

Today it's only a dusting of snow but I think Saturday Night into Sunday morning, we might get some significant snow and a possible accumulation of 2-4 inches so we'll see how much we get.

Written By: nally on 01/18/19 at 11:28 am

I have also heard on the news that a lot of flooding and mudslides have been caused in certain parts of southern California due to the storms. (Thankfully not on any roads I've had to travel on!)

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/19 at 2:42 pm

Sunday night/Monday morning is the total lunar eclipse, and while it is clear skies, the windchill will be -38°C (-36°F). I'm going to try to catch it from my bedroom :/

Written By: floppy on 01/18/19 at 2:58 pm

WOW not even a delay and all the snow melted today so mad rn

Written By: Rosalita1906 on 01/18/19 at 3:02 pm

Storms are coming to New York City :-\\

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oKIPC0jmA3aElV99C/giphy.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/19 at 12:39 pm

So it begins.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/19/19 at 2:01 pm

Storms are coming to New York City :-\\

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oKIPC0jmA3aElV99C/giphy.gif

I keep hearing of this big snowstorm that's coming and supermarkets are getting really crowded.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/19/19 at 2:08 pm

I keep hearing of this big snowstorm that's coming and supermarkets are getting really crowded.

We're getting it too. I was just at the market and it was really packed! We can expect some ice and power outages as well. I hate the ice it's so slippery lol. oh well. I'm staying home during this storm.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/19 at 2:21 pm

We're getting it too. I was just at the market and it was really packed! We can expect some ice and power outages as well. I hate the ice it's so slippery lol. oh well. I'm staying home during this storm.

I have no choice I have to go to work! Oh joy!  ::)

Written By: violet_shy on 01/19/19 at 2:30 pm

I have no choice I have to go to work! Oh joy!  ::)

Hopefully it won't be as bad as they say it will be. Sometimes these weather people exaggerate!

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/19 at 2:51 pm

We're actually getting a decent amount of snow. The windchill is -24°C (-11°F) at the moment, oh boy! I actually walked to the gym in this temperature. It wasn't too bad, but I need to get better leg insulation. I might have to... *gulp* wear sweatpants in public  :\'( (frozen tears)

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/19/19 at 3:08 pm

We're actually getting a decent amount of snow. The windchill is -24°C (-11°F) at the moment, oh boy! I actually walked to the gym in this temperature. It wasn't too bad, but I need to get better leg insulation. I might have to... *gulp* wear sweatpants in public  :\'( (frozen tears)

Get base layers to wear under your clothes and you'll be warm.

Written By: 2001 on 01/19/19 at 3:16 pm

Get base layers to wear under your clothes and you'll be warm.

I live in Canada so of course I already do that, starting in the fall. ;D It was still a bit chilly on my legs. Not frostbite cold mind you or even shivering cold, but not warm and comfortable either like my upper half was (I have a decent parka  8)).

By the way, are you going out to catch the lunar eclipse tonight?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/19 at 4:07 pm

I live in Canada so of course I already do that, starting in the fall. ;D It was still a bit chilly on my legs. Not frostbite cold mind you or even shivering cold, but not warm and comfortable either like my upper half was (I have a decent parka  8)).

By the way, are you going out to catch the lunar eclipse tonight?

The eclipse is tomorrow night. https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2019-january-21

I hope this storm moves out so we can catch it.

Here are some shots I took of the last blood moon eclipse in Sep. 2015.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/768/21768570776_7eb5e60f9a.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5650/21804184091_d50db0d4a1.jpg

Cat

Written By: floppy on 01/20/19 at 12:48 am

wow no snow again so mad rn

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/20/19 at 10:02 am

Been snowing for about 20 hours and still is coming down, but only about 6 inches, but lots of drifting

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/19 at 11:35 am

Been snowing for about 20 hours and still is coming down, but only about 6 inches, but lots of drifting

We also got about 6 inches, it has stopped since around 9AM though. Now it's bright, sunny and Arctic cold!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/19 at 1:12 pm

We also got about 6 inches, it has stopped since around 9AM though. Now it's bright, sunny and Arctic cold!

So you should see the moon tonight. It will be hit or miss if we see it. If we do, don't know if I will get a good shot of it or not. There are two ways that I can get a good shot-go outside (too cold) or go up to the cupola (again, too cold). I can't really get any good shots from the other windows because the screens mess up the pics. BTW, the other pics were taken from the cupola.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/19 at 1:24 pm

So you should see the moon tonight. It will be hit or miss if we see it. If we do, don't know if I will get a good shot of it or not. There are two ways that I can get a good shot-go outside (too cold) or go up to the cupola (again, too cold). I can't really get any good shots from the other windows because the screens mess up the pics. BTW, the other pics were taken from the cupola.

Cat

Yep, not a cloud in sight at the moment. I'm still undecided as to whether I should go out, or stay in. I will be able to see it directly from my comfy bedroom window. On the other hand, the lunar eclipse and supermoon will be directly above the Toronto skyline, and I get a good view of that too just a 10 minute drive away from me. That would be an impressive shot if I can get it. But I'm not liking that temperature forecast, that's the kind of weather that killed the French/Germans when they marched into Russia x_x

Written By: karen on 01/20/19 at 2:15 pm

No snow in my part of the UK, but Dai said there was some up on the hills near him and some of the higher roads were closed temporarily

Written By: Howard on 01/20/19 at 2:19 pm

Hopefully it won't be as bad as they say it will be. Sometimes these weather people exaggerate!

All we got was all rain, No snow! Now the temperatures have plummeted to 30 degrees.  :o

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/19 at 8:48 pm

God damn it the moon is directly over my house! I have to go outside.... Wish me luck guys :\'( *frozen tears* The windchill at the moment is -36°C (-33°F)

Written By: floppy on 01/20/19 at 11:10 pm

and the moon was white  >:(

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/19 at 11:17 pm

and the moon was white  >:(

Red moon for me *_*

Written By: Howard on 01/21/19 at 5:46 am

Now we've got the bitter cold and the wind chill to go along with the  howling gusty winds, try to bundle up and take as many breaks as possible!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/19 at 12:49 pm

Didn't see the moon.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  I don't know if it peeked out last night but it was cloudy most of the time before we went to bed.

Cat

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/19 at 1:49 pm

I saw it! It was really cool. I couldn't get a good picture though since my smartphone camera doesn't do more than 2x optical zoom (and 10x digital zoom which is the same as taking a 2x zoom photo and then zooming in) and I didn't have a tripod. Maybe in 2022 (or the partly visible one in 2021). It will be in the spring this time!

This one is before totality (from my bedroom window)

https://i.imgur.com/AKtynvO.jpg

And this one was during totality (from outside)

https://i.imgur.com/sAg86Du.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/19 at 2:45 pm

I saw it! It was really cool. I couldn't get a good picture though since my smartphone camera doesn't do more than 2x optical zoom (and 10x digital zoom which is the same as taking a 2x zoom photo and then zooming in) and I didn't have a tripod. Maybe in 2022 (or the partly visible one in 2021). It will be in the spring this time!

Cool shots-and I'm sure it was when you shot them.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/21/19 at 5:21 pm

Didn't see the moon.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  I don't know if it peeked out last night but it was cloudy most of the time before we went to bed.

Cat

I saw it. I even tried to get pictures of it, even with zooming in, but they didn't come out too well.

Looks like you got some nice shots. O0

Written By: violet_shy on 01/21/19 at 6:32 pm

I didn't see the moon :(

I was in the house because of the "storm". We didn't even get a large amount of snow. It was washed away with the rain.  ::)

Written By: Dude111 on 01/23/19 at 9:58 am

We got about 10" here!! (@ least its better than the 50cm they were first saying)

Written By: Blue Monday on 01/24/19 at 6:07 pm

Thanks for the pics. of the red moon -  very cool.  I tried to see this earlier in the week, but when I went out it was too early & I missed it.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/26/19 at 6:33 pm

It's been snowing every day this week and today I ran errands wearing two shirts and a hoodie under my coat. Driving far in blowing snow is downright scary, local trips I can handle. I just can't stand the below zero days, and next week calls for more of it. Thank god for heated blankets and hot chocolate! By the way, if I remember, I'll try and take a picture of our snow.

Check for new replies or respond here...