inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I hear beautiful giates in music

Written By: violet_shy on 05/19/19 at 5:31 pm

To those of you who don't know what a giate is(pronounced guy-at), it is a word I made up. It means something beautiful in a song or something that appears to be beautiful. I used the term a lot in the 90s, and today. I hear beautiful parts or giates in music. The song could be really boring and suddenly I hear a giate that makes it beautiful. I don't mean the lyrics. It's the music or the melody. For example:

Firework by Katy Perry has no giates. The melody is remains the same throughout the song.

Chained to the rhythm also by Katy Perry has many giates! The melody is beautiful esp. during the first and second verses.

Maybe I'm strange :-[, but I only like music with giates. Does anyone else feel this way about music or other things?

Subject: Re: I hear beautiful giates in music

Written By: violet_shy on 05/27/19 at 5:57 pm

Doesn't anyone hear the giates, or is it just me? Shall I give another example?

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/19 at 6:18 pm

I still don't understand what a giate is supposed to be, to be honest. I can hear how Chained to the Rhythm is more rhthmically complex than Firework though.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/27/19 at 7:06 pm

I still don't understand what a giate is supposed to be, to be honest. I can hear how Chained to the Rhythm is more rhthmically complex than Firework though.

A giate is an element or part in the melody of a song that makes the song more beautiful or satisfying to listen to. To me a song can be giateful from beginning to end. Or it can have some giates.

You don't hear the giates on "Chained to the Rhythm". *sigh* :-[

Written By: 2001 on 05/27/19 at 7:14 pm

A giate is an element or part in the melody of a song that makes the song more beautiful or satisfying to listen to. To me a song can be giateful from beginning to end. Or it can have some giates.

Isn't that subjective?

Written By: violet_shy on 05/27/19 at 7:28 pm

Isn't that subjective?

It is. Which is why I was asking if anyone hears them as well. This topic is about my thoughts on music. There could be others who do hear the giates and they don't understand what it is. I think I have a special gift or so I was told.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/28/19 at 12:00 am

I might know what you're talking about. I like songs that have something distinct about their sound that I can't quite put a finger on. Whether it's something that stands out to me about vocals, or certain patterns in the instrumental parts, for me to like it has to have that something to it.

Written By: karen on 05/28/19 at 5:00 am

I don't get how you can expect us to say if we hear things in songs that is a word that you made up

Written By: violet_shy on 05/28/19 at 6:15 am

I don't get how you can expect us to say if we hear things in songs that is a word that you made up

Well, there's no word or term to describe it so I made one up. You don't have to use that word if you don't want to ;D

I might know what you're talking about. I like songs that have something distinct about their sound that I can't quite put a finger on. Whether it's something that stands out to me about vocals, or certain patterns in the instrumental parts, for me to like it has to have that something to it.

It's something like that. It makes the song more enjoyable to listen to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/19 at 10:46 am

Well, there's no word or term to describe it so I made one up. You don't have to use that word if you don't want to ;D

It's something like that. It makes the song more enjoyable to listen to.
Interesting you chose those letters for that word, for it is an acronym for Guidelines for Information About Therapy Experiments.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/22/20 at 10:59 pm

First of all it’s an interesting term you created. So I had to listen for myself. I was familiar with firework but this is the first time I’ve heard chained to the rhythm. Firework has its layering and changes but sounds darker. Chained has what sounds to me much happier layering and the changes really bring a warm feeling and smile. Is that what you mean by giate? If so then definitely I prefer music that is that way.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/26/20 at 4:25 am

First of all it’s an interesting term you created. So I had to listen for myself. I was familiar with firework but this is the first time I’ve heard chained to the rhythm. Firework has its layering and changes but sounds darker. Chained has what sounds to me much happier layering and the changes really bring a warm feeling and smile. Is that what you mean by giate? If so then definitely I prefer music that is that way.

Yes. Something like that. It makes the song more beautiful. Another example:

The Jets - Make is real....has no giates. The melody to me is not beautiful. So, it doesn't make me happy listening.

The Jets - You've got it all.....has many many giates! The melody throughout the song is gorgeous. "There's just you. You must have been heaven sent, hearing me call you in out on a limb and you're all that he's not, just look what I've got..." That part of the music is the giate. Beautiful!

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/26/20 at 11:39 am

Yes. Something like that. It makes the song more beautiful. Another example:

The Jets - Make is real....has no giates. The melody to me is not beautiful. So, it doesn't make me happy listening.

The Jets - You've got it all.....has many many giates! The melody throughout the song is gorgeous. "There's just you. You must have been heaven sent, hearing me call you in out on a limb and you're all that he's not, just look what I've got..." That part of the music is the giate. Beautiful!

Jets greatest hits is in my collection. I listened to both. Maybe 90% of the way through make it real I hear a little something but other than that it’s more dull. I definitely hear the difference. You got it all has many chord changes which give a burst of happiness. The keyboard kinda follows the melody. The bass part is definitely more melodic and the snaps are tasty. Definitely more layering. If the notes and textures were a painting it would be a much more rich and colorful painting.  Make it real sounds more calm. You got it all feels more like a melodic boat ride, especially the part you describe. Going back to the Katy Perry songs I hear the same characteristics from one to the other. Melodic boat ride with layers and changes that gives you goosebumps.

I thought about this last time and when I think of your word giates my mind thinks of the word gates. Gates like changes and where one part meets another.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/26/20 at 12:07 pm

Jets greatest hits is in my collection. I listened to both. Maybe 90% of the way through make it real I hear a little something but other than that it’s more dull. I definitely hear the difference. You got it all has many chord changes which give a burst of happiness. The keyboard kinda follows the melody. The bass part is definitely more melodic and the snaps are tasty. Definitely more layering. If the notes and textures were a painting it would be a much more rich and colorful painting.  Make it real sounds more calm. You got it all feels more like a melodic boat ride, especially the part you describe.

I thought about this last time and when I think of your word giates my mind thinks of the word gates. Gates like changes and where one part meets another.

I actually found a little bit of a giate on Make it real...when she says, "Hear me cryin' out to you. You said, "Never, never would I leave" Here's a tear from me to you
And maybe it will make you hear me"......beautiful giate there.

You're description of a giate is exactly what it is!

Written By: violet_shy on 10/02/20 at 12:23 am

I listened to a most beautiful song tonight, "My baby you" by Marc Anthony. There's an intense giate when he says, "Baby you, there's no more just getting by. You're the reason I feel so alive."  It sounds so amazing! Gorgeous song.

hnh0yU5ef4U

Written By: violet_shy on 10/02/20 at 12:36 pm

"Wicked Game" by Chris Issac doesn't have any giates....

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/02/20 at 12:39 pm

I thought "giates" was a disease until I remembered I was thinking of "gobloots", a rare disease which gets into the country on the hind legs of the Booshoo bird. I always confuse the two.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/06/20 at 3:17 pm

Janet Jackson - Anytime, Anyplace (remix)

This is actually the version I like. It is gorgeous! It's perfect. Too many giates in this song. It's just beautiful.

-8NdyPGuzKM

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/07/20 at 7:37 pm

Have you heard any giates in any Beatles songs? If so, can you share them with us?

Written By: violet_shy on 11/11/20 at 1:59 pm

Have you heard any giates in any Beatles songs? If so, can you share them with us?

The only Beatles song that has any giates is "If I fell".
F_80s6S_7Vw

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/20 at 2:14 pm

]F_80s6S_7Vw
Does this version of "If I Fell" by Cilla Black and Dudley Moore have extra giates?

GXdGhHCtKB8

Written By: violet_shy on 11/11/20 at 4:17 pm

Does this version of "If I Fell" by Cilla Black and Dudley Moore have extra giates?

It doesn't. Only the original does.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/11/20 at 5:50 pm

The only Beatles song where Jess hears her imaginary sound
Is "If I Fell", a song most profound
But if she listens she will be surprised to hear
That the Beatles have them here, there and everywhere!

And that's the truth!
:-*

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 2:44 am

For the benefit of jesica_ann
Listens to songs whenever she can
The question is she ask along
Has she heard of every Beatles song?

Written By: violet_shy on 11/12/20 at 6:44 am

I've listened to most of them.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 7:04 am

I've listened to most of them.  :)
How many giates does "Let It Be" have"?

https://youtu.be/JDGy7vkCVgs

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/12/20 at 9:02 am

Yes it's odd indeed Jess cannot hear her giates
In Beatles songs where they proliferate
It seems to be such a tangled labrynth
When she can hear them in every cheesy 80s synth!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 9:05 am

Sorry, I can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/12/20 at 9:08 am

Sorry, I can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

:)

Written By: violet_shy on 11/12/20 at 9:39 am

How many giates does "Let It Be" have"?

https://youtu.be/JDGy7vkCVgs

I forgot about that one! There's a beautiful giate in the chorus: "Let it be, let it be. Let it be, let it be. There will be an answer, let it be.".

Don't you hear it Philip? The giates?

Giates are sudden twists and turns in a song that make them beautiful. There aren't too many 80s synth songs with giates except "Too shy" by Kajagoogoo.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 9:52 am

I forgot about that one! There's a beautiful giate in the chorus: "Let it be, let it be. Let it be, let it be. There will be an answer, let it be.".

I will listen again when I can.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/12/20 at 10:04 am

John Lennon's song "Out The Blue" ABOUNDS with giates. They are everywhere in this song, they leap around to and fro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avuSNfox6dI

They're here too! We know giates when we see them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u40JpzAFbc

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 12:36 pm

Giates are sudden twists and turns in a song that make them beautiful. There aren't too many 80s synth songs with giates except "Too shy" by Kajagoogoo.
Would it be a giates moment in the 'la la la' section of "the Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/12/20 at 12:47 pm

Would it be a giates moment in the 'la la la' section of "the Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel?

I'd say that was more the "hook". Or the chorus even. But one wonders if sometimes that's what Jess means by "giates". Plus, did we ever establish the pronunciation of "giates". Is it aa hard or soft "G"? Is it pronounced with a hard G like "God" or a soft G like "general"? and is the "I" a long or short "I"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 12:52 pm

I'd say that was more the "hook". Or the chorus even. But one wonders if sometimes that's what Jess means by "giates".
I wonder too, and can I suggest another 'giates', in "Something In the Air" by Thundeclap Newman, at the end of the piano break and momental sound, as I described it, the train emerging from s tunnel, breaking into the daylight?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/12/20 at 12:54 pm

I wonder too, and can I suggest another 'giates', in "Something In the Air" by Thundeclap Newman, at the end of the piano break and momental sound, as I described it, the train emerging from s tunnel, breaking into the daylight?

Plus, did we ever establish the pronunciation of "giates?  Is it a hard or soft "G"? Is it pronounced with a hard G like "God" or a soft G like "general"? and is the "I" a long or short "I"?

Written By: violet_shy on 11/12/20 at 1:01 pm

Yes. That is a beautiful giate in that song.

It is pronounced: G as in Goat, I as in ice cream, A as in at, T, and then E but the E is silent. It sounds like Guy-At.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 1:07 pm

For plural, pronounced 'guy-ats' or 'guy-ates'?

Written By: violet_shy on 11/12/20 at 1:14 pm

For plural, pronounced 'guy-ats' or 'guy-ates'?

It is pronounced guy-ats.  :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/12/20 at 1:34 pm

It is pronounced guy-ats.  :)

I like jie-ates better. Let's make that the new pronunciation. It's more musical. Guy-ats sounds too much like an insect.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/20 at 11:01 am

I like jie-ates better. Let's make that the new pronunciation. It's more musical. Guy-ats sounds too much like an insect.
Guy-ats sounds more like a male revue show?

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/30/20 at 11:31 am

Guy-ats sounds more like a male revue show?

It makes me think of the word “gates”. Which in some ways describes it. Transition from one part to another and it can be constructed beautifully.

Written By: karen on 11/30/20 at 11:34 am

Gee atts I think sounds better

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/20 at 11:45 am

It makes me think of the word “gates”. Which in some ways describes it. Transition from one part to another and it can be constructed beautifully.
With the open and shut gates?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/20 at 11:49 am

Does ates rhyme with parties?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/30/20 at 12:13 pm

In music that's called a bridge. You're a musician, you already know that. But I like your impressionistic take on it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/20 at 1:11 pm

Every time I see this thread, I read it as gyrate.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/20 at 1:58 pm

Every time I see this thread, I read it as gyrate.

Cat
As in twisting around like we did last summer?

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/30/20 at 11:47 pm

In music that's called a bridge. You're a musician, you already know that. But I like your impressionistic take on it.

Yes definitely true. I was thinking of abrupt changes, like going through a bunch of gates or doors. Unlike a large area with no change. A bridge would be a section of song in itself. Maybe I didn’t mean to say transition. It’s ok.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/21 at 10:03 am

Are there any giates in your "Sunflower" song?

Written By: violet_shy on 07/05/21 at 10:38 am

Are there any giates in your "Sunflower" song?

Yes there are. I made sure of that!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/21 at 4:26 pm

Do the sound elements change units that raise or lower pitch?

Written By: violet_shy on 07/05/21 at 8:00 pm

Do the sound elements change units that raise or lower pitch?

It's something in the melody of the song. The sudden changes.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/05/21 at 8:05 pm

You may want to consider trademarking the word "giates". People have sticky fingers and you wouldn't want anybody appropriating your intellectual property and using it to teach songwriting classes and such.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/05/21 at 8:42 pm

You may want to consider trademarking the word "giates". People have sticky fingers and you wouldn't want anybody appropriating your intellectual property and using it to teach songwriting classes and such.

Aw they can. I don't mind at all. Just the other day, someone took an idea from one of my Instagram photos. The one where I'm grabbing at my hair dressed in a red blouse. She too had a photo taken grabbing at her hair. I know she goes into my Instagram because she also took an idea from one of my videos and another photo. Holding her dress and doing the same thing I did in my video. I'm not going to say who it is. But I could have told them off. Anyway, it doesn't really bother me.

If you want to call those beautiful melodies Giates then that's fine with me! I'll know in my heart I made up the word. And it's been embedded on inthe00s anyway!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/21 at 12:54 am

As in the middle eight?

Check for new replies or respond here...