inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I believe I may be in a bad situation.

Written By: wixness on 06/06/19 at 3:18 pm

Hello people. Unfortunately, I have some bad news to tell you all. Me, one of my younger siblings and some people I've talked to online so far all suspect that my parents have inadvertently gotten themselves involved in one or two multi-level marketing schemes AKA pyramid schemes.

I haven't really been able to take this news lightly, especially considering I am still a full-time university student at this time of writing, without a consistent source of income and still living with parents. I am hoping this issue subsides as soon as possible.

I don't really wish to discuss this, since sometimes thinking about it leaves me in a panic, but I'll try and answer any questions you have about it. For now, I might not reveal the names of the organization(s) involved, in case I can be easily identified through them, and because I feel powerless to do anything against them right now.

What set off my suspicions took place before and during the time I had to attend one of the seminars. Before the seminar, I saw:

My parents trying to refer people they knew to the organization.
My parents talked about how "charismatic" the mentor was.

During the time I had to attend a seminar with the rest of my family:

The venue was physically blockaded with event signs to prevent convenient movement in and out of the venue.
During one of the seminar sessions, we were told to "act crazy" in front of a camera (owing to one of the teachings of the seminar) after the same thing happened in seminars that mostly took place in the Middle East. I was able to leave at that point despite being barricaded (fortunately it was unmanned or they were a bit understanding), excusing myself for a toilet break.
Jokingly, me and my brother noted an illustration of a pyramid with mathematical equations on its volume on an easel, and another illustration on another easel depicting stairs, as signs of my parents being led into a pyramid scheme.
There were impossible promises of wealth being discussed (I'm not sure if they were being genuine about this or just exaggerating), such as being able to own entire islands or being able to donate entire churches to communities on the slides.
I deleted my Facebook in protest when asked to promote them after they took my name, email and phone number (I couldn't think of fake details soon enough and didn't know they'd ask me for those).

What worries me in particular is that I may eventually be tricked into joining the seminars even if I deny or avoid them long enough. I'm worried because I don't want to be involved with these organizations at all - I am less concerned about the financial effects (I don't think I've had to pay anything to them so far), but more concerned about having to hold myself accountable to an organization or two I have no interest in working with that my parents have been pushing me to join in the first place, even if they weren't pyramid schemes. But because they possibly are, it could eventually be hard for me to quit even if my parents respect my decision to not be part of those schemes, on the account that they're desperate to get invites or whatever.

Why have I gotten into this mess? My parents believe that it will help me in the future, and they've sort of made plans for me to try and do some related business. There are also, I believe, some reasons that could have persuaded them to be involved too, like one of the other leaflets I saw (but could not get the chance to take away) saying that those involved could get "passive income" and "would not have to work abroad again". Bear in mind too my parents have had to deal with debt and that they're getting only around £3000 a year in pensions if they retire in the UK.

I wonder what you all think of this. I don't know how much convincing will get them to stop or if it will even do the intended effect. If they won't stop, then I don't want the consequence of their choice to be involved with them to fall on me (an adult who unfortunately has to live with them partly for cost reasons) and my younger siblings (one of whom is also an adult, living at university accommodation).

Subject: Re: I believe I may be in a bad situation.

Written By: wixness on 06/07/19 at 6:03 am

It's also worse, because my parents can get rewarded for the number of people they invite.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/07/19 at 9:05 am

Sounds fishy to me.  There must be orgs or agencies you can check with to research these people, such as w4e have here, like the Better Business Bureau  or Consumer Protection Agency that we have in the States.  Start by googling them and see what you can learn

Written By: wixness on 06/07/19 at 9:40 am

Sounds fishy to me.  There must be orgs or agencies you can check with to research these people, such as w4e have here, like the Better Business Bureau  or Consumer Protection Agency that we have in the States.  Start by googling them and see what you can learn

I'm gonna see if the Citizens' Advice Bureau here in the UK can help. I saw them before, but I couldn't prove my suspicions of my parents being in a pyramid scheme, and since one of them is based in the Philippines and the other is protected or held accountable to the Financial Conduct Authority here, I feel like I can't do anything.

Written By: 2001 on 06/07/19 at 2:36 pm

Sounds like Amway or the host of other pyramid schemes they run here. I was invited to one of the seminars when I was in university, but once they said I have to pay $50 to attend I backed out (I told a friend later and he told me it's a well-known pyramid scheme). Chances are they're going to make your parents try to sell useless products like diet pills or face creams to people, and if they can't pay for it they can either sign someone else on or they pay for the products themselves.

Written By: wixness on 06/07/19 at 4:27 pm

Sounds like Amway or the host of other pyramid schemes they run here. I was invited to one of the seminars when I was in university, but once they said I have to pay $50 to attend I backed out (I told a friend later and he told me it's a well-known pyramid scheme). Chances are they're going to make your parents try to sell useless products like diet pills or face creams to people, and if they can't pay for it they can either sign someone else on or they pay for the products themselves.

I am less clear on what the the pyramid scheme my parents are involved in actually do - it probably involves property or something though, but they do rely heavily on recruitment and seminars.

I'm not sure they had to pay money (hope they didn't pay too much but I think they could have had to do so for "investment" - what set my suspicions off too in that regard was them never bringing up the risks that are involved with investment).

Written By: 2001 on 06/07/19 at 4:35 pm

I am less clear on what the the pyramid scheme my parents are involved in actually do - it probably involves property or something though, but they do rely heavily on recruitment and seminars.

I'm not sure they had to pay money (hope they didn't pay too much but I think they could have had to do so for "investment" - what set my suspicions off too in that regard was them never bringing up the risks that are involved with investment).

It's probably worth asking around to people who were involved with that scheme and find out if they were scammed or lost a lot of money (or didn't get their promised riches). That would be the easiest way to convince your parents.

The fact that you were told to act crazy at the seminar also reminds me a lot of Amway (when you go to their conferences, everyone acts like they're at a party even though they come in their business suits).

Written By: wixness on 06/07/19 at 4:58 pm

It's probably worth asking around to people who were involved with that scheme and find out if they were scammed or lost a lot of money (or didn't get their promised riches). That would be the easiest way to convince your parents.

I believe this organization is far too new to have many or any former members. I'm worried too I'll have trouble convincing them.
The fact that you were told to act crazy at the seminar also reminds me a lot of Amway (when you go to their conferences, everyone acts like they're at a party even though they come in their business suits).

The dress code for my seminar was "smart casual", so it looked less suspicious, but being told to act "crazy" in a situation that involves business or finance is rather suspicious anyway.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/07/19 at 6:21 pm

I can only tell you to stay away from it and  don't attend seminars. Maybe your parents will come to their senses before they invest too much in this. I remember a guy I used to work with tried getting me into an mlm for a health juice. After looking it up online, one of the founders had been in trouble with a past business for false claims I believe it was. Very few people make money off mlm.

Written By: wixness on 06/07/19 at 6:26 pm

I can only tell you to stay away from it and  don't attend seminars. Maybe your parents will come to their senses before they invest too much in this. I remember a guy I used to work with tried getting me into an mlm for a health juice. After looking it up online, one of the founders had been in trouble with a past business for false claims I believe it was. Very few people make money off mlm.

They try to persuade me to get on board too, saying it will enhance my resume. I am not very concerned about finances as much as I am concerned about being lured into a cult.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/07/19 at 6:43 pm

They try to persuade me to get on board too, saying it will enhance my resume. I am not very concerned about finances as much as I am concerned about being lured into a cult.

Just be firm about not joining and try to get busy and occupy your time with productive things that leave little time for something like that.

Written By: wixness on 06/07/19 at 6:53 pm

Just be firm about not joining and try to get busy and occupy your time with productive things that leave little time for something like that.

I am trying to get a job because I would like both a source of income and some money, as well as legitimate reasons to avoid being part of the seminars (boy who cried wolf - they might make me attend a seminar when I'm genuinely sick or busy after lying enough). So far, I've had no luck.

I have long breaks too, and I would like to use them for personal projects and to try and relax (and vent too when necessary).

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/08/19 at 10:42 am

I am trying to get a job because I would like both a source of income and some money, as well as legitimate reasons to avoid being part of the seminars (boy who cried wolf - they might make me attend a seminar when I'm genuinely sick or busy after lying enough). So far, I've had no luck.

I have long breaks too, and I would like to use them for personal projects and to try and relax (and vent too when necessary).

Have you thought of volunteering? It would also get you out of the house and you'd do something helpful. In the meantime just be more and more firm about not attending seminars.

Written By: wixness on 06/08/19 at 11:01 am

Have you thought of volunteering? It would also get you out of the house and you'd do something helpful. In the meantime just be more and more firm about not attending seminars.

Yes, but I got bored I have to admit. I'll see what I can do.

Written By: wixness on 06/09/19 at 2:49 pm

Just to let you guys know, I suspect that the seminars are becoming more and more frequent. My dad recently asked me if I were available on Friday because my mother needed to take someone to a seminar.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/19 at 2:57 pm

It is interesting to note that pyramid schemes have been declared illegal in the UK, but if the "head office" and head dealing is in a foreign land, I think it is a different matter. It does need to looked into.

Written By: wixness on 06/09/19 at 3:13 pm

It is interesting to note that pyramid schemes have been declared illegal in the UK, but if the "head office" and head dealing is in a foreign land, I think it is a different matter. I does need to looked into.

Yes. Unfortunately, the two organizations that my parents have been hooked into aren't based in the UK, I think. They operate internationally still. Even if they're based in the UK, I blame political corruption for not putting them into justice.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/19 at 3:17 pm

Yes. Unfortunately, the two organizations that my parents have been hooked into aren't based in the UK, I think. They operate internationally still. Even if they're based in the UK, I blame political corruption for not putting them into justice.
I have had experience with two different schemes in the past, one in which I failed miserably, no one was interested in the product or wish to sell them on my part, and the other I made a mini fortune till people began to notice what the product involved and it all tapered off.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/09/19 at 4:00 pm

It is interesting to note that pyramid schemes have been declared illegal in the UK, but if the "head office" and head dealing is in a foreign land, I think it is a different matter. I does need to looked into.

I notice that there are a number of international pyramid schemes these days having to do with investing in Bitcoin or the like. They seem so obvious but some people do fall for them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/19 at 1:12 am

I notice that there are a number of international pyramid schemes these days having to do with investing in Bitcoin or the like. They seem so obvious but some people do fall for them.
Almost like a scam?

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/10/19 at 8:19 am

Have you reported this to the appropriate agency?

Written By: wixness on 06/10/19 at 10:16 am

Have you reported this to the appropriate agency?

I'm gonna try. Unfortunately, I believe the organizations might try and cover up their actions to continue to appear legitimate. One is already registered with the Financial Conduct Authority here in the UK, even though what they're doing, according to my brother, merits them the status of being a cult.

Written By: karen on 06/10/19 at 11:03 am

I'm gonna try. Unfortunately, I believe the organizations might try and cover up their actions to continue to appear legitimate. One is already registered with the Financial Conduct Authority here in the UK, even though what they're doing, according to my brother, merits them the status of being a cult.

You can probably report them to the FCA or the financial ombudsman.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/19 at 11:07 am

Hello people. Unfortunately, I have some bad news to tell you all. Me, one of my younger siblings and some people I've talked to online so far all suspect that my parents have inadvertently gotten themselves involved in one or two multi-level marketing schemes AKA pyramid schemes.

I haven't really been able to take this news lightly, especially considering I am still a full-time university student at this time of writing, without a consistent source of income and still living with parents. I am hoping this issue subsides as soon as possible.

I don't really wish to discuss this, since sometimes thinking about it leaves me in a panic, but I'll try and answer any questions you have about it. For now, I might not reveal the names of the organization(s) involved, in case I can be easily identified through them, and because I feel powerless to do anything against them right now.

What set off my suspicions took place before and during the time I had to attend one of the seminars. Before the seminar, I saw:

My parents trying to refer people they knew to the organization.
My parents talked about how "charismatic" the mentor was.

During the time I had to attend a seminar with the rest of my family:

The venue was physically blockaded with event signs to prevent convenient movement in and out of the venue.
During one of the seminar sessions, we were told to "act crazy" in front of a camera (owing to one of the teachings of the seminar) after the same thing happened in seminars that mostly took place in the Middle East. I was able to leave at that point despite being barricaded (fortunately it was unmanned or they were a bit understanding), excusing myself for a toilet break.
Jokingly, me and my brother noted an illustration of a pyramid with mathematical equations on its volume on an easel, and another illustration on another easel depicting stairs, as signs of my parents being led into a pyramid scheme.
There were impossible promises of wealth being discussed (I'm not sure if they were being genuine about this or just exaggerating), such as being able to own entire islands or being able to donate entire churches to communities on the slides.
I deleted my Facebook in protest when asked to promote them after they took my name, email and phone number (I couldn't think of fake details soon enough and didn't know they'd ask me for those).

What worries me in particular is that I may eventually be tricked into joining the seminars even if I deny or avoid them long enough. I'm worried because I don't want to be involved with these organizations at all - I am less concerned about the financial effects (I don't think I've had to pay anything to them so far), but more concerned about having to hold myself accountable to an organization or two I have no interest in working with that my parents have been pushing me to join in the first place, even if they weren't pyramid schemes. But because they possibly are, it could eventually be hard for me to quit even if my parents respect my decision to not be part of those schemes, on the account that they're desperate to get invites or whatever.

Why have I gotten into this mess? My parents believe that it will help me in the future, and they've sort of made plans for me to try and do some related business. There are also, I believe, some reasons that could have persuaded them to be involved too, like one of the other leaflets I saw (but could not get the chance to take away) saying that those involved could get "passive income" and "would not have to work abroad again". Bear in mind too my parents have had to deal with debt and that they're getting only around £3000 a year in pensions if they retire in the UK.

I wonder what you all think of this. I don't know how much convincing will get them to stop or if it will even do the intended effect. If they won't stop, then I don't want the consequence of their choice to be involved with them to fall on me (an adult who unfortunately has to live with them partly for cost reasons) and my younger siblings (one of whom is also an adult, living at university accommodation).
The key thing is, do not depart with any of their money!

Written By: wixness on 06/10/19 at 11:10 am

You can probably report them to the FCA or the financial ombudsman.

Sadly, I doubt it will go through. I regard it as a cult, but I don't think it will be enough to have them prosecuted or something. Plus, that organization will downplay or deny the actions they're doing.

Written By: karen on 06/10/19 at 1:57 pm

Sadly, I doubt it will go through. I regard it as a cult, but I don't think it will be enough to have them prosecuted or something. Plus, that organization will downplay or deny the actions they're doing.

But if enough people report them the FCA will have to look at the company more closely.  This is how companies get away with stuff

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/11/19 at 9:00 am

You seem to be making excuses for NOT taking action - not smart

Written By: wixness on 06/11/19 at 10:15 am

But if enough people report them the FCA will have to look at the company more closely.  This is how companies get away with stuff

You seem to be making excuses for NOT taking action - not smart

I might ask them about quitting under a bogus email address.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 4:55 am

I might ask them about quitting under a bogus email address.
Have you looked online for comments on this pyramid selling scheme to see any good or bad reports?

Written By: wixness on 06/12/19 at 7:03 am

Have you looked online for comments on this pyramid selling scheme to see any good or bad reports?

No, and I'm afraid to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 7:07 am

No, and I'm afraid to.
...or check on that with your sibling(s), of when the conversation arises over the dinner table, bring it up then?

Written By: wixness on 06/12/19 at 7:43 am

...or check on that with your sibling(s), of when the conversation arises over the dinner table, bring it up then?

My brother has discussed this with my parents, but nothing seems to be happening.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 7:59 am

My brother has discussed this with my parents, but nothing seems to be happening.
Please find online evidence if the situation is good bad for them.

Written By: wixness on 06/13/19 at 3:55 am

Please find online evidence if the situation is good bad for them.

I went to a counsellor and they found evidence that this company is not to be trusted.
---
I'm worried about tomorrow. I might have to attend, but by me being there, they'd want me to get involved (especially since I'm of working age), but if I don't, I'm worried about my brother who has chosen to come to the seminar (I'm hoping he doesn't get indoctrinated by this) and I'm worried about how my non-attendance will make it more difficult for my parents to communicate with me. That said, I hate these multi-level marketing schemes - it's a shame they don't see anything wrong with it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/19 at 4:25 am

I went to a counsellor and they found evidence that this company is not to be trusted.
---
I'm worried about tomorrow. I might have to attend, but by me being there, they'd want me to get involved (especially since I'm of working age), but if I don't, I'm worried about my brother who has chosen to come to the seminar (I'm hoping he doesn't get indoctrinated by this) and I'm worried about how my non-attendance will make it more difficult for my parents to communicate with me. That said, I hate these multi-level marketing schemes - it's a shame they don't see anything wrong with it.
Two options:

Tell them no,  do not attend, and do not get involved.

Tell them pyramid schemes are unsustainable and often illegal, and show them online evidence.

Written By: wixness on 06/13/19 at 5:09 am

Two options:

Tell them no,  do not attend, and do not get involved.

Tell them pyramid schemes are unsustainable and often illegal, and show them online evidence.

Unfortunately, one of them has been recognized already by an organization here in the UK. Should I be forced to attend, I want to make notes to try and confirm my suspicions, make complaints and go from there. I'm worried that me and my brother, who are suspicious of these organizations, could get indoctrinated by them or pressured to work for them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/19 at 5:18 am

Unfortunately, one of them has been recognized already by an organization here in the UK. Should I be forced to attend, I want to make notes to try and confirm my suspicions, make complaints and go from there. I'm worried that me and my brother, who are suspicious of these organizations, could get indoctrinated by them or pressured to work for them.
... has been recognized already by an organization here in the UK, therefore illegal in the UK!
It is interesting to note that pyramid schemes have been declared illegal in the UK, but if the "head office" and head dealing is in a foreign land, I think it is a different matter. It does need to looked into.

Written By: wixness on 06/13/19 at 5:21 am

... has been recognized already by an organization here in the UK, therefore illegal in the UK!

Nope, they're listed as one of the organizations by the Financial Conduct Authority as something legitimate, unfortunately (because they could effectively cover up their operations or whatever). They operate internationally too.

Written By: wixness on 06/14/19 at 6:58 pm

Me and my brother's suspicions have been confirmed based on seminar content - hoping that in the one year we still have uni, parents can leave us alone for as much as possible.

Check for new replies or respond here...