inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nostalgic/Mid-2000s Cities in the United States/Canada area?

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 12/08/19 at 8:00 pm

I want to visit such a place even if I don't live there in the foreseeable future.
I live in the United States, but may move to Canada in my 30s - 40s.

Specifically, I'm wondering if I'll find a place with a video rental center, maybe a PC shop where I can buy stuff to assemble a desktop computer without it automatically 'updating' to a newer operating system when first booting it up... And I would find it decent to have a vintage game store nearby to go to as well.

Subject: Re: Nostalgic/Mid-2000s Cities in the United States/Canada area?

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/20 at 10:21 pm

I saw a rental store in downtown Toronto that rents out VHS and DVDs. I'm surprised it's still kicking. Retro game stores are dotted throughout the city,  I live in an outer suburb and there is a retro game store down the street from me.  There is an "Asian mall" too for retro Japanese import games.

As for updating PCs, I think there are many Linux distros that don't automatically update. I'm sure every city has a computer store.

Edit: Oh no, it seems the one that rents VHS shut down November 2019 https://www.blogto.com/film/2019/11/videoflicks-movie-rental-toronto-closing/  :-\\ There are still a few left that rent DVDs, but I'm not sure how long they'll last.

Check for new replies or respond here...