inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Old fashioned letter writing?

Written By: violet_shy on 02/09/20 at 12:01 am

Is anyone into that? I use to write to many people when I was in my 20s. Then I stopped, and now I've recently started writing again. I would love to send everyone on inthe00s(or maybe some of you, the one's who are mostly here) my hand written letters and small gifts! So far, I have only written to nally, and Henk.

Anyone up to it? PM me!

Subject: Re: Old fashioned letter writing?

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/12/20 at 2:01 am

I have a long distance friend/penpal I met online about 8 years ago. We started exchanging texts and holiday gifts and cards in the past year. I've done this with others too and it's nice. It isn't as convenient as a friend you can actually meet up with locally though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/20 at 2:07 am

I would love to restart letter writing again, but with age my handwriting has deteriorated, and I even struggle with Christmas Cards each year.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/20 at 1:11 pm

Before the internet, I used to "write" letters-actually type them. I have always hated my handwriting but love writing. Before I had anything to type on, I used to write letters using the typewriter at work. I was FINALLY able to get something of my own-I bought what I now refer to as my old dinosaur second hand that used those big floppy disks. Not only did I write letters on that but it got me through college. Last year, I finally translated all those old floppies and I can now read them on my computer-including all the letters I wrote back then.

With the exception of sending out Christmas cards, I don't write letters anymore. I usually send emails.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 02/12/20 at 1:28 pm

I would love to restart letter writing again, but with age my handwriting has deteriorated, and I even struggle with Christmas Cards each year.

Oh no. :(

I would have loved to exchange letters with you! Did you have any penpals before?

Written By: nally on 02/13/20 at 12:21 am

With the exception of sending out Christmas cards, I don't write letters anymore. I usually send emails.

Cat

Same with me.

I do occasionally write notes by hand, though.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/13/20 at 12:07 pm

Same with me.

I do occasionally write notes by hand, though.

Emails are fun to write. I remember when I had my old AOL account, they would let us pick stationary when composing an email. I sent many like that to my penpals.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/20 at 12:17 pm

Emails are fun to write. I remember when I had my old AOL account, they would let us pick stationary when composing an email. I sent many like that to my penpals.
When I was at work I had to write and send important emails, so accuracy was important, thank goodness I did not had to send handwritten letters.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/20 at 2:30 pm

I love emails, we've gone a long way when back in the days when we used a typewriter for letters.

Written By: nally on 02/13/20 at 3:45 pm

I love emails, we've gone a long way when back in the days when we used a typewriter for letters.

Do we even see typewriters anymore, even in workplaces?

Written By: Howard on 02/14/20 at 4:42 pm

I don't even think so.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/15/20 at 11:51 pm

No, only at antique stores. We used to have an old typewriter at our house and I had it in my room. It worked though. It got thrown out I'm sure in some estate sale or other, along with other cool things like the decorative cabinet that housed a record player and stereo.  :-\\ :\'(

Written By: Howard on 02/16/20 at 7:26 am

No, only at antique stores. We used to have an old typewriter at our house and I had it in my room. It worked though. It got thrown out I'm sure in some estate sale or other, along with other cool things like the decorative cabinet that housed a record player and stereo.  :-\\ :\'(

I remember those old typewriters we used to own and the sound it always used to make when typing up a letter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWGtQvzxQs

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/20 at 1:07 pm

Back in 9th grade, I took a typing class-we learned on manual typewriters. It was really the best class I ever took but I took that skill with me that I still use to this day. When I joined the Air Force, I was in Telecommunications and had to learn how to type on a teletype machine-which is a lot slower than a regular typewriter. Since I already know how to type, it was just a matter of learning a few changes and build up speed. (At my best, I typed over 50 words a minute with 5 or less errors-on the teletype.) Then I retrained into training management. There were a lot of trainees that didn't have their typing proficiency that they needed for their jobs so I created a typing class. The first class I had, there were about 20 students and all 20 passed their proficiency test when the time came. The second class, I had about 15 students and ONE kid missed it.  >:(  I told him that me messed up my 100% record.  >:( >:( >:(  He did pass the second time around. After I got out of the service, I got a job doing data entry. It was really a terrible job but I could do it with ease because of my typing proficiency. Today, I just type here on the message board and other places around the internet, plus my own personal things-my journal, stories, etc. I can still type pretty quickly and with few errors. And I can thank all of that on my 9th grade typing class. Like I said, it was the best class I ever took. I would recommend everyone to take a typing class. It will pay off in many ways you may not be able to see now but you will as time goes by.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/16/20 at 1:29 pm

Back in 9th grade, I took a typing class-we learned on manual typewriters. It was really the best class I ever took but I took that skill with me that I still use to this day. When I joined the Air Force, I was in Telecommunications and had to learn how to type on a teletype machine-which is a lot slower than a regular typewriter. Since I already know how to type, it was just a matter of learning a few changes and build up speed. (At my best, I typed over 50 words a minute with 5 or less errors-on the teletype.) Then I retrained into training management. There were a lot of trainees that didn't have their typing proficiency that they needed for their jobs so I created a typing class. The first class I had, there were about 20 students and all 20 passed their proficiency test when the time came. The second class, I had about 15 students and ONE kid missed it.  >:(  I told him that me messed up my 100% record.  >:( >:( >:(  He did pass the second time around. After I got out of the service, I got a job doing data entry. It was really a terrible job but I could do it with ease because of my typing proficiency. Today, I just type here on the message board and other places around the internet, plus my own personal things-my journal, stories, etc. I can still type pretty quickly and with few errors. And I can thank all of that on my 9th grade typing class. Like I said, it was the best class I ever took. I would recommend everyone to take a typing class. It will pay off in many ways you may not be able to see now but you will as time goes by.

Cat

When I was in school back in the stone age, boys were not taught to type. It was considered for girls only, as women would go on to get job as "typists" after graduation.  Neither did they teach boys how to cook or any other basic domestic skills like that. Only girls took "home economics".  This was manifestly foolish, as boys needed these important life skills just as much as girls. Schools weren't all that in touch with real life in those days. They're really not now either, but for different reasons.

By the way, there used to be a saying in those days, "women who type don't climb the corporate ladder".  Meaning, if you were a typist you would get stuck in the "typing pool" as they were then known, and never get promoted to executive status. Often women who did have typing skills wouldn't let it be known, as they had their eye on a higher position. Things are very different now, of course. With the advent of computers all the typing jobs became obsolete, and everybody now, in effect, is a "typist".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/16/20 at 1:49 pm

When I was in school back in the stone age, boys were not taught to type. It was considered for girls only, as women would go on to get job as "typists" after graduation.  Neither did they teach boys how to cook or any other basic domestic skills like that. Only girls took "home economics".  This was manifestly foolish, as boys needed these important life skills just as much as girls. Schools weren't all that in touch with real life in those days. They're really not now either, but for different reasons.

By the way, there used to be a saying in those days, "women who type don't climb the corporate ladder".  Meaning, if you were a typist you would get stuck in the "typing pool" as they were then known, and never get promoted to executive status. Often women who did have typing skills wouldn't let it be known, as they had their eye on a higher position. Things are very different now, of course. With the advent of computers all the typing jobs became obsolete, and everybody now, in effect, is a "typist".

I don't think I was far behind you in school. I remember in junior high, we had 4 subjects that we took for a 1/4 of the year each-cooking, sewing, shop, & drafting. ALL students took them-and the classes were co-ed. Also, my 9th grade typing class was also co-ed. I think it is a shame that they didn't teach you skills like cooking. Now, I don't think any school teaches those kind of skills. I have a friend who works at the local high school. He is angry because the school USED to have an auto shop to teach kids about auto repair. They did away with it and even got rid of their state of the art equipment that they used to have to teach the class.

Cat

Written By: nally on 02/16/20 at 2:54 pm

No, only at antique stores.

Ah, that makes sense.

We used to have an old typewriter at our house and I had it in my room. It worked though. It got thrown out I'm sure in some estate sale or other, along with other cool things like the decorative cabinet that housed a record player and stereo.  :-\\ :\'(

Interesting. We used to have typewriters in our household too. My mom got a manual one a long time ago (possibly in her teen years) and we still have it, but I'm not sure if it still works or not. We also had an electric one, which we used frequently when I was a kid (I even used it too, before I learned how to actually type), but we got rid of it within the last ten years or so, because I don't think we can get replacement parts for it anymore (correction ribbon, typing ribbon, etc.). I mean, I'm sure it still worked, but we couldn't see ourselves keeping it if we couldn't replace a key component of it in the event that it expired - that is, if such items are no longer being sold.

Written By: nally on 02/16/20 at 2:55 pm

I remember those days too! I liked the different backgrounds you could select. :D

Check for new replies or respond here...