inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Healthy Eating

Written By: violet_shy on 02/13/20 at 7:03 pm

When random people come up with the worst excuses to not eat right, and I try to help even though I have no idea who they are. "Oh...but it's raining outside. I need some comfort food!"

Me: Drop the cheetos, Diane. >:( There are so many healthy foods you can have!

Pffft. Like anyone would really listen to that! Hahahaha ;D

Subject: Re: Healthy Eating

Written By: 2001 on 02/13/20 at 7:13 pm

Keep a fruit bowl in a location you pass by often (we put ours in the middle of our dinner table), I guarantee you'll eat more fruit. You do get have rid of the junk food too though if you want this to work :P

Written By: violet_shy on 02/13/20 at 7:48 pm

I usually keep the fruit in the refrigerator so that they stay cool because I like my fruit that way. However, sometimes I forget to eat them. But I like your idea of putting them on the table. It would remind me to actually eat some. Most of the time I do, thankfully. Also, there isn't a trace of junk food at my place...so that's a good thing.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/14/20 at 2:06 pm

I have a sugar addiction I can't kick, even though I am going to a gym now on weekends. I still buy cookies! I do try and ration it now though. And less pop. I also eat fruit regularly and try to buy low calorie microwave dinners for when I'm on breaks during the week. At home I don't really pig out between meals because I don't work up an appetite then.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/14/20 at 2:58 pm

I have a sugar addiction I can't kick, even though I am going to a gym now on weekends. I still buy cookies! I do try and ration it now though. And less pop. I also eat fruit regularly and try to buy low calorie microwave dinners for when I'm on breaks during the week. At home I don't really pig out between meals because I don't work up an appetite then.

Are the microwave dinners Keto or Atkins? I've heard of those foods but never tried them. I think they're suppose to be low carb and sugar. More protein.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/20 at 3:19 pm

I used to live on microwave dinners before I got myself a "personal chef." Now, I can't stomach them. Why? Because the high sodium content. You really need to be careful with that. High sodium can lead to heart issues and weight gain. I think now makers of processed foods are getting the hint about too much sodium. You might want to read the label of the meals you are eating to check out the sodium content.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/14/20 at 4:40 pm

Keep a fruit bowl in a location you pass by often (we put ours in the middle of our dinner table), I guarantee you'll eat more fruit. You do get have rid of the junk food too though if you want this to work :P

Our Family has been trying to eat healthier and that would include fruits and vegetables since My Father a few months ago got a mild heart attack we've been trying to cut down on most things.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/20 at 4:42 pm

I used to live on microwave dinners before I got myself a "personal chef." Now, I can't stomach them. Why? Because the high sodium content. You really need to be careful with that. High sodium can lead to heart issues and weight gain. I think now makers of processed foods are getting the hint about too much sodium. You might want to read the label of the meals you are eating to check out the sodium content.

Cat

I can't even look at a TV dinner anymore, it's just disgusting.  8-P

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/18/20 at 10:58 am

Cat

In addition, high sodium might enhance sugar cravings

Written By: Howard on 02/18/20 at 3:07 pm

We've also tried to cut down on high sodium soups that contain less than 1,000mg of sodium.  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/18/20 at 3:17 pm

We've also tried to cut down on high sodium soups that contain less than 1,000mg of sodium.  :o

1,000mg is VERY high.

Here are some that has way less than that. https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-and-nutrition/canned-soups-broths-stocks-under-500mg-sodium/

The soup we have is so much less-my "personal chef" makes it for me.  :)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/18/20 at 3:24 pm

1,000mg is VERY high.

Here are some that has way less than that. https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-and-nutrition/canned-soups-broths-stocks-under-500mg-sodium/

The soup we have is so much less-my "personal chef" makes it for me.  :)

Cat

That is why we try not to have soups in a can, My Mother would sometimes make homemade soups like matzoh ball or gumbo.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/18/20 at 3:29 pm

As part of my healthy eating, I've cut down on sugary foods/snacks/desserts. I make a lot of sugar free foods that taste good.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/18/20 at 3:31 pm

That is why we try not to have soups in a can, My Mother would sometimes make homemade soups like matzoh ball or gumbo.

MMMM, Matzoh ball soup. Something I haven't had in a long time. But, Matzoh ball soup is pretty salty, too.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/19/20 at 5:04 am

As part of my healthy eating, I've cut down on sugary foods/snacks/desserts. I make a lot of sugar free foods that taste good.

Sometimes it's hard to cut down on some sugary foods.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/19/20 at 8:22 am

Sometimes it's hard to cut down on some sugary foods.

That's because, scientifically speaking, sugar is an extremely addictive substance.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/19/20 at 8:25 am

Keep in mind though, just because something is sugar free, it does not necessarily mean it is low calorie. There are some very high calorie sugar free foods. Such as the sugar free chocolates available from well known chocolate brands like Russel Stover and Hershey. They taste almost as good as regular chocolates. That's because they are still very high in fat content, which is where the flavor and pleasing texture is coming from.

Check for new replies or respond here...