inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Are You Spending Your Quarantine?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/22/20 at 2:18 pm

Most of us have been asked (or ordered) to stay home. So, how are you spending your quarantine time?

-For me, since my house cleaner is not coming, I have been scrubbing my house. I really like my cleaning lady and I trust her but she is not the best cleaner. She gets the top layer of dirt. I'm trying to get the rest of the layers.

-I'm also in the middle of a project (I started BEFORE quarantine happened) of weeding out most of my papers in the office (old bank statements, old bills, etc, etc.)

-I also have a bunch of books that I plan on reading. (In the middle of one right now.)

-I also would like to write a bit on my new book.

So how are you passing the time?

Cat

Subject: Re: How Are You Spending Your Quarantine?

Written By: karen on 03/22/20 at 2:51 pm

I am in work tomorrow and may have to go in again as, in the uk, schools are open for the children of key workers. Although I am not a teacher they have been asking for volunteers as not everyone will be able to work because they have vulnerable family members or whatever.

After that I have some work to do, though nothing urgent.

I am going to work on writing out dance directions for dances that my Morris side do.
Housework - cleaning the oven and kitchen cupboards being the priority
Bit of gardening
Try and finish the jumper (sweater) I started knitting many years ago. Plus maybe some other knitting projects

Written By: Howard on 03/22/20 at 3:04 pm

It's really hard but My Family are making the best of what it is right now, we're going to be ordering in food probably more often, My Father is a part of Peapod (grocery shopping online and having it delivered to your house).

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/22/20 at 4:08 pm

My work schedule has gone from 8-14 hour days down to 6 hour days that start early afternoon. I haven’t had hours like this since jobs in high school. So that’s weird for me.

Other than that little has changed. Most of my time in the winter is spent between work, home, and the gas station. I’ve got food for a month at least, I don’t eat much. I live in 9 acres with no close neighbors so I can do whatever I want. I waited so many years for a place like this. And it is peaceful. Lately I’ve been working on my music more since I’m kinda out of practice on my bass. When it gets warmer I’ll start working in the garage again. I have a lot of ideas for putting together a workshop but never really decided how I wanted to do it. And I can sit outside in front of a campfire right here. I got stuff I’d like to do to the house. And assuming they don’t close the bike paths I’ll be riding my bike a lot like I did last summer. In the summer I do like going up north to peaceful pretty places with no people. I guess we will see how that goes.

I’m hoping my esophagus holds up longer this time. I may not be able to get it worked on until all this passes, but then again do I even want to? I would be going to the most infected area of the state. If it closes back up I might just deal with it like I did before.

Written By: 2001 on 03/22/20 at 9:02 pm

I'm not under quarantine thankfully. I'm just practising regular social distancing.

I was already working from home 90% of the time even before this virus. Now it's 100%, so not that much has changed on that front.

I can't go out with everything being closed and all, so I got back into video games, and I keep in touch with friends through the voice chat in those video games.

Other than that, I can't go to the gym anymore, so I take a walk in the morning to keep my sanity. Thankfully I don't live in a crowded area, so at 7AM I basically don't see anybody. I'm going to have to find a home exercise program.

Written By: nally on 03/22/20 at 9:33 pm

I'm not under quarantine thankfully. I'm just practising regular social distancing.

I'm not under quarantine per se, either. However, I have also taken the stay-at-home advice/orders seriously, as well as the social distancing.

This weekend I have found some projects to do at home, including going through old stuff and seeing what's worth keeping. I'll probably do more of that on my "days off" (that is, days I'm not scheduled to work).

Tomorrow morning (13 hours from now, in fact) I will be working from home. On Wednesday of last week my boss and I discussed how I would be working remotely, and she even had me give it a trial run that afternoon, so that I'd be prepared to do it in case we needed to. And on Friday we all met at the office to discuss plans for working from home, starting on Monday (tomorrow!). We will also meet again in the office on Wednesday of this week to work on things we can only do in the office and pick up anything more we might need.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/20 at 2:02 am

I have been keep a social distance by staying in, only going out for shopping.

Home fixing is arranged as concentrating on one room per day, and a general fix all over on Friday.

I too have plenty of books to read, but nowadays I cannot focus when reading like I did in the past, 30 years ago ti would be 2 or 3 books per week.

I have many films that were recorded from live television, and other films to watch, and again, I cannot concentrate on watching films.

So it is, listening to the radio (as each day goes on, less of the news), and being online to check out on the news, and to be here online.

...avoiding snacks!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/20 at 9:23 am

Home fixing is arranged as concentrating on one room per day, and a general fix all over on Friday.

I too have plenty of books to read, but nowadays I cannot focus when reading like I did in the past, 30 years ago ti would be 2 or 3 books per week.

I have many films that were recorded from live television, and other films to watch, and again, I cannot concentrate on watching films.

So it is, listening to the radio (as each day goes on, less of the news), and being online to check out on the news, and to be here online.

...avoiding snacks!
To add to my limited exercise, I now have my liquid refreshment (tea, juice or water) in different room, so I have to walk to take a sip.

Written By: karen on 03/23/20 at 11:58 am

To add to my limited exercise, I now have my liquid refreshment (tea, juice or water) in different room, so I have to walk to take a sip.

A friend said they were going to put a different bottle of beer in each room and go on a pub crawl!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/20 at 12:30 pm

I have looked at thee notes I typed for the book I was setting up to right when I was in the Philippines, but at the moment I am not inspired.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 03/23/20 at 6:43 pm

A friend said they were going to put a different bottle of beer in each room and go on a pub crawl!

Hahaha!

With me, I'm playing San Andreas (original 2004 edition, I bought it around a month before covid19 was in the public lexicon), and since I already beat the 2006 edition, I'm just seeing for myself if there are any differences between the two. Also thinking of catching up on reading because there are literally six books I've been in the middle of for a while, some of them I started reading a few months ago, others in the mix I started to read a few years ago.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/24/20 at 4:46 pm

I've been doing housework. And during my free time, I do online karaoke on Smule. I also work on my music. There's nobody coming by so it's just me! Yay! Lol.

Written By: meesa on 03/24/20 at 8:16 pm

Our county is on kind of a lockdown- only essential business is open and people encouraged to stay at home. I work at home anyway so it's really not too terribly bad for mi familia. Or at least not too terribly different.

Written By: nally on 03/24/20 at 10:34 pm

Our county is on kind of a lockdown- only essential business is open and people encouraged to stay at home. I work at home anyway so it's really not too terribly bad for mi familia. Or at least not too terribly different.

I can relate.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/25/20 at 3:13 am

Because I'm considered an essential worker, I have to work during the week and some part day weekends just to sanitize the building.

I've taken up art again, trying my hand now at oil paints.  :o Should read some more books I have stashed away. Too bad I can't go to the gym and my printer went on the fritz. Talk about bad timing!

If this drags on and I need art supplies, I'll have to order online then.  :-\\

A few days ago a neighbor went around to all of us on our street passing out bottles of hand sanitizer and lists of everyone's name and number just incase. So I guess it's nice to know someone cares. I've also been making effort to stay in touch with friends and see how they're doing. Some I worry about more than others.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/20 at 3:23 am

...avoiding snacks!
I have now started to watch these films.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/25/20 at 7:25 am

Some people at work were talking about how they were going crazy being stuck at home during the weekend. One guy I don’t get it. In the last few years he just built his dream retirement house on a piece of secluded property with sunset views and a dream garage for working on old mustangs and stuff which he has one started. I’m thinking wow that’s a ton of resources wasted if you don’t even wanna spend your  time there. I don’t even have a workshop set up yet and I hardly have any internet but I love spending my time on my property. I guess I’m lucky that way.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/25/20 at 12:41 pm

Remodeling my bedroom. In the process of removing my old dresser/mirror. I've had the dresser since 1998 when I was 18. It is in pieces now, busted up and ugly. I purchased a new dresser which I haven't assembled yet. Still need to remove the bottom part of the old dresser. And then start on the new one. I'm not feeling too down about throwing out my old dresser...most of my bedroom furniture is from 1998 and are in good condition! So I'm happy about that.

Written By: Howard on 03/25/20 at 4:39 pm

I've been trying to do more cleaning.

Written By: nally on 03/25/20 at 6:01 pm

I've been trying to do more cleaning.

So have I. Not just routinely, but more often so that I can keep the house especially clean due to what's going on.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/20 at 8:19 am

So have I. Not just routinely, but more often so that I can keep the house especially clean due to what's going on.

There's really nothing much you can do in the house.

Written By: nally on 03/26/20 at 4:44 pm

Remodeling my bedroom. In the process of removing my old dresser/mirror. I've had the dresser since 1998 when I was 18. It is in pieces now, busted up and ugly. I purchased a new dresser which I haven't assembled yet. Still need to remove the bottom part of the old dresser. And then start on the new one. I'm not feeling too down about throwing out my old dresser...most of my bedroom furniture is from 1998 and are in good condition! So I'm happy about that.

That reminds me...I should probably go through my own dresser drawers and closet, and see if I can get rid of stuff I no longer need. Periodically I do that, but this would be a good time for me to do some more of that. You've given me some inspiration. :)

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/26/20 at 6:35 pm

Good luck, hope it turns out well. When it gets warmer I’ll be rearranging my stuff in the garage to make a workshop area. Long overdue. At least I don’t have to buy anything to do it. I had big plans and got started till I landed in the hospital last time. Then I got sidetracked. Kinda got some inspiration again.

Then there’s the basement which needs arranged which I’ve avoided in the winter because it’s an icebox. But on 90f humid summer days it’s so nice down there and that would be a good time to do that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/20 at 5:16 am

...avoiding snacks!
Doing my bit of for English Literature, instead of reading the book, I am watching a film adaptation of a literary classic.

Written By: wixness on 03/27/20 at 9:18 am

Sadly I have to study and call off appointments and job hunting.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/27/20 at 9:32 am

You've given me some inspiration. :)

Oh good! Change is good for everyone.

Good luck, hope it turns out well. When it gets warmer I’ll be rearranging my stuff in the garage to make a workshop area. Long overdue. At least I don’t have to buy anything to do it. I had big plans and got started till I landed in the hospital last time. Then I got sidetracked. Kinda got some inspiration again.

Then there’s the basement which needs arranged which I’ve avoided in the winter because it’s an icebox. But on 90f humid summer days it’s so nice down there and that would be a good time to do that.

Thanks! I still haven't started on the new dresser. It's going to take some time.

Written By: Howard on 03/27/20 at 2:38 pm

Nothing much, either I'm on the computer, watching television or playing with my video game.

Written By: nally on 03/27/20 at 4:49 pm

Doing my bit of for English Literature, instead of reading the book, I am watching a film adaptation of a literary classic.

Over time I have done that, to better understand the story in general.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/20 at 4:57 pm

Over time I have done that, to better understand the story in general.
Exactly, the film/book "Far from the Madding Crowd" was made to be true to the Thomas Hardy book, as what helped my day was that I could relax to it (tablet in hand), and being long it pasted away the morning for me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/20 at 6:44 pm

Exactly, the film/book "Far from the Madding Crowd" was made to be true to the Thomas Hardy book, as what helped my day was that I could relax to it (tablet in hand), and being long it pasted away the morning for me.

Usually movies are not as good as the book. I understand that you really can't fit EVERYTHING into movies. I can no longer watch the Harry Potter movies. I love most of the actors (except for the second Dumberdore), but the movies just leave out SO MUCH.

You can also listen to books. These are all audiobooks that are in the public domain-therefore FREE: https://librivox.org/

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/20 at 6:57 pm

Usually movies are not as good as the book. I understand that you really can't fit EVERYTHING into movies. I can no longer watch the Harry Potter movies. I love most of the actors (except for the second Dumberdore), but the movies just leave out SO MUCH.

You can also listen to books. These are all audiobooks that are in the public domain-therefore FREE: https://librivox.org/

Cat
O0 Thank you.

I hope the link works for me, being from the other side of the pond.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/27/20 at 7:53 pm

Off work for the weekend. They are calling for wind and rain all weekend so even without the quarantine I’d be staying in. Work on my music, find interesting things to watch, oh I gotta do laundry too. I already hauled in at least 3 days worth of pellets this morning because I would rather do that when it’s dry out.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/20 at 4:07 pm

I've been cleaning more often.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/28/20 at 7:22 pm

I have not been outside since yesterday when I went to check the mail. I try not to do that too often so I won't have to step outside too many times. It's depressing but...I have to deal with it  ::)

Nosa. I always find something to do and keep myself busy. I like to stay positive too! I don't care if it's an apocalypse...I will stay happy and positive.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/20 at 7:42 am

I have not been outside since yesterday when I went to check the mail. I try not to do that too often so I won't have to step outside too many times. It's depressing but...I have to deal with it  ::)

Nosa. I always find something to do and keep myself busy. I like to stay positive too! I don't care if it's an apocalypse...I will stay happy and positive.

I haven't been outside except just going to work and coming home from work, nothing much else to do.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 03/29/20 at 11:07 am

Learned my first 46 Japanese Kana.

Now to learn enough Kanji to read at JLPT-N2 proficiency....

Written By: nally on 03/29/20 at 12:13 pm

I haven't been outside except just going to work and coming home from work, nothing much else to do.

I haven't traveled anywhere except to and from work, either.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/20 at 12:45 pm

Well done!

Each time I visited a foreign country I make it a point in learning some of the language, and recognise the structure of the written word (i.e. Portuguese is Latin based), and on  my visit to Japan I struggled, so I just concentrated on being a tourist.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/20 at 5:02 pm

I have taken to watching another movie to help me through this uncertain time, and my choice of the night was "Lost in Translation", with the film set in Tokyo, I thought of you and your learning of the Japanese language. I do not know if the film will help you, but it does give an insight into the Japanese way of life, and it does bring back memories of my stay there.

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 03/31/20 at 10:57 pm

I have taken to watching another movie to help me through this uncertain time, and my choice of the night was "Lost in Translation", with the film set in Tokyo, I thought of you and your learning of the Japanese language. I do not know if the film will help you, but it does give an insight into the Japanese way of life, and it does bring back memories of my stay there.

I may check it out sometime.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/06/20 at 10:55 am

My little sewing project:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/9482/KnJ7Tn.jpg

The facemask pattern was found online.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/20 at 11:04 am

O0

I wish I was clever with my hands for such creativeness.

Started my catch up on "Friends", over the last year or so my son and I have been watching "Friends" in order of the shows. Now watching on my own I am about halfway through series 7.

Written By: violet_shy on 04/06/20 at 12:46 pm

I was supposed to go out today to get a few things. I'm having second thoughts though. I think I will stay home.  :-\\

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/06/20 at 1:15 pm

That’s cool. I have a sewing machine but never used it. I was planning to make wrench rolls for my tools, among other things like seat covers, but got sidetracked. I make flat patterns all day at work so that’s the easy part.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/06/20 at 1:18 pm

I was supposed to go out today to get a few things. I'm having second thoughts though. I think I will stay home.  :-\\

Me too. I’ve only gone from home to work. On my 3rd week without needing to get gas, the Jeep has a big tank. There are things I’ve wanted from the store but I’m kinda leery about going to populated places if I don’t have to. Still got plenty of food in the house.

Written By: karen on 04/06/20 at 2:35 pm

I had to go out today to take my dad to the doctors surgery for a blood test. His medication means they need to check his thyroid function.

Afterwards I went to the supermarket. Won’t need to go again for a week or so. The supermarkets are wiping down the trolley handles, and restricting the number of shoppers in store. They are supposed to be keeping it to one adult but I did see a few couples going round.

They have a one way system in place and lines marking out the two metre gap you are supposed to leave between shoppers. It generally worked except around the fruit and veg because people wanted to linger here to browse and sort through to get the best produce. Slightly annoying when you know what you want to pick up but feel obliged to queue around the circuit - especially when other people just pushed past.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/20 at 2:43 pm

I had to go out today to take my dad to the doctors surgery for a blood test. His medication means they need to check his thyroid function.

Afterwards I went to the supermarket. Won’t need to go again for a week or so. The supermarkets are wiping down the trolley handles, and restricting the number of shoppers in store. They are supposed to be keeping it to one adult but I did see a few couples going round.

They have a one way system in place and lines marking out the two metre gap you are supposed to leave between shoppers. It generally worked except around the fruit and veg because people wanted to linger here to browse and sort through to get the best produce. Slightly annoying when you know what you want to pick up but feel obliged to queue around the circuit - especially when other people just pushed past.
I trust that your father is doing well under the circumstances.

Generally, I am avoiding the large supermarkets,I am doing fine with my local shops.

Written By: karen on 04/06/20 at 3:07 pm

I trust that your father is doing well under the circumstances.

Generally, I am avoiding the large supermarkets,I am doing fine with my local shops.

He is doing ok thank you. He is staying in his house except for these medical appointments. His doctor telephoned last week just to check up on him which was nice.

My corner shop isn’t too bad, but doesn’t have fresh veg. The bigger One Stop wasn’t being too good at enabling social distancing. I had to squeeze between a shelf stacker and the end of a wall last time I went there.

Written By: nally on 04/06/20 at 6:45 pm

Me too. I’ve only gone from home to work. On my 3rd week without needing to get gas, the Jeep has a big tank. There are things I’ve wanted from the store but I’m kinda leery about going to populated places if I don’t have to. Still got plenty of food in the house.

Yeah, we have a good supply of food in our house too, although we are supposed to get an order delivered sometime this week. With regards to fuel, my car is still well-supplied with that; that's only because I've only traveled to the office three times since last filling the tank...almost three weeks ago. I agree with you about going to "populated" places; while I haven't needed to go to any, like the store, my parents have. In fact, they are able to get into the "seniors" line so they don't have to wait so long, when they go there.

Written By: Howard on 04/07/20 at 8:00 am

Did you sew that yourself?

Written By: Howard on 04/07/20 at 8:02 am

I've been working then coming straight home, on my days off I haven't been doing much of anything.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/07/20 at 8:32 am

Did you sew that yourself?

Yes, I used a pattern I found on line.  They are different sizes too.

Written By: nally on 04/07/20 at 2:55 pm

Splendid. O0

Written By: Howard on 04/07/20 at 3:52 pm

Very nice, do you have many to make for purchasing?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/07/20 at 3:59 pm

Very nice, do you have many to make for purchasing?

No, if I made a lot I'd be more inclined to donate them - unfortunately, I have limited supplies to make them  :-\\

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/07/20 at 4:07 pm

No, if I made a lot I'd be more inclined to donate them - unfortunately, I have limited supplies to make them  :-\\

Are they anything special or just regular clothing fabric and elastic? If so I could cut up old clothes and make a bunch.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/20 at 4:20 pm

No doubt, the stores where you could get supplies to make them are closed?

Written By: 2001 on 04/08/20 at 12:13 am

Nice!!! I tried learning Japanese when I was in high school. However, I got distracted by Korean and learnt that instead ;D

For learning kanji I highly recommend James Heisig's Remembering the Kanji. It's very unorthodox in its approach. It doesn't teach you how to read kanji, it only teaches how to write and recognize them. But this in turn makes it easier to learn how to read it. It's a lot faster than learning how to read and write kanji simultaneously, which requires a lot of tedious drilling and repetition.

I didn't learn Japanese to fluency, but I did learn Korean. Even though Korean no longer uses hanja (漢字 - Korean kanji), I still learnt it, because I could, thanks to Heisig, and it was fun! Now I can even read some random Chinese signage that's all over my city (I live in a city that's 35% Chinese). :D

https://i.imgur.com/OZ074uy.png

Those are some of my Hanja (漢字) flashcards in Anki (definitely check that program out if you haven't heard of it). As it says on the top, I made 2128 flashcards in total. And look at the rightmost column, "Created", as in, the date I made the flashcard. 2010! I still remember how to read it all, 10 years later.

By the way this was my kanji practice sheet. I neglected to write the year, but this was in 2009. The month and day are written on the top, "From March 25 to March 28, I wrote here". I was 16 years old, haha. I worked through Heisig at 15 during the summer of 2008 but I lost the book I practised it in unfortunately. That would have been cool nostalgia memorabilia for me.  :-\\

https://i.imgur.com/IS9h7Tf.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/08/20 at 12:49 am

Nice!!! I tried learning Japanese when I was in high school. However, I got distracted by Korean and learnt that instead ;D

For learning kanji I highly recommend James Heisig's Remembering the Kanji. It's very unorthodox in its approach. It doesn't teach you how to read kanji, it only teaches how to write and recognize them. But this in turn makes it easier to learn how to read it. It's a lot faster than learning how to read and write kanji simultaneously, which requires a lot of tedious drilling and repetition.

I didn't learn Japanese to fluency, but I did learn Korean. Even though Korean no longer uses hanja (漢字 - Korean kanji), I still learnt it, because I could, thanks to Heisig, and it was fun! Now I can even read some random Chinese signage that's all over my city (I live in a city that's 35% Chinese). :D

Those are some of my Hanja (漢字) flashcards in Anki (definitely check that program out if you haven't heard of it). As it says on the top, I made 2128 flashcards in total. And look at the rightmost column, "Created", as in, the date I made the flashcard. 2010! I still remember how to read it all, 10 years later.

By the way this was my kanji practice sheet. I neglected to write the year, but this was in 2009. The month and day are written on the top, "From March 25 to March 28, I wrote here". I was 16 years old, haha. I worked through Heisig at 15 during the summer of 2008 but I lost the book I practised it in unfortunately. That would have been cool nostalgia memorabilia for me.  :-\\

Well done for what you achieved, I cannot even make a start on it.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/08/20 at 8:41 am

Splendid. O0

Thanks!  :)

Are they anything special or just regular clothing fabric and elastic? If so I could cut up old clothes and make a bunch.

I'm actually using an old sheet for the lining.  I'm using fat quarters for the outers; I don't have that many on hand that I want to use for this project, although I have other fabric I could also use.  But elastic is what I'm most in short supply of.

No doubt, the stores where you could get supplies to make them are closed?

The fabric store would make itself available for "curbside pickup"; however, it seems that narrow 1/4 inch elastic has become almost as scarce as toilet paper  :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/08/20 at 8:43 am

Very cool!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/08/20 at 9:53 am

Thanks!  :)

The fabric store would make itself available for "curbside pickup"; however, it seems that narrow 1/4 inch elastic has become almost as scarce as toilet paper  :-\\

Almost collector's items?

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/11/20 at 5:39 pm

Took out my summer car enough to vacuum and wash it. Scrubbed all the junk off the rocker panels too. Sitting in it now listening to 80s mixtape weekend on the radio. I’ll be putting it back in hibernation tonight because winter weather returns tomorrow.

Written By: meesa on 04/18/20 at 2:22 am

Hope everyone is doing well!
I work from home and the hours have been looooong. Right now my teams & I are working 12 hour days minimum, as what we do is directly impacted by what's going on in the world. When I'm not working and have spare time, I have switched from book/journal making to mask-making for donation. I  binged the Marvelverse films, and have moved on to binging The Good Place for background noise while I sew.  :)

Written By: meesa on 04/18/20 at 2:27 am

I'm actually using an old sheet for the lining.  I'm using fat quarters for the outers; I don't have that many on hand that I want to use for this project, although I have other fabric I could also use.  But elastic is what I'm most in short supply of.

Have you tried hair bands? The stretchy ones that are narrow but larger to fit the whole head instead of ponytail size? The stores near you may have those.  :)
A couple of friends use them, and I am almost out of elastic so will be giving those a try.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/18/20 at 8:11 am

Have you tried hair bands? The stretchy ones that are narrow but larger to fit the whole head instead of ponytail size? The stores near you may have those.  :)
A couple of friends use them, and I am almost out of elastic so will be giving those a try.

Hey, that's a good idea!  :)  Those might get expensive compared to elastic, but I agree they probably are available (I'm not sure on the price of the headbands).

Written By: meesa on 04/18/20 at 10:33 am

Hey, that's a good idea!  :)  Those might get expensive compared to elastic, but I agree they probably are available (I'm not sure on the price of the headbands).
if you have a dollar store nearby you can find big packs of them. Still not as cost effective as a roll of elastic though, unfortunately. I may start making them with ties instead of elastic.

Written By: karen on 04/18/20 at 1:56 pm

I'm actually using an old sheet for the lining.  I'm using fat quarters for the outers; I don't have that many on hand that I want to use for this project, although I have other fabric I could also use.

My local craft store had some nice designs on their fat quarters. I was quite tempted by some skull and crossbones patterns they had, or maybe those Mexican (?) decorated skulls

I’m sure you’ve posted a link to the pattern somewhere but I can’t find it. Can you remember which thread it was in? Starting to think about making some masks myself.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/20 at 3:38 pm

Hope everyone is doing well!
I work from home and the hours have been looooong. Right now my teams & I are working 12 hour days minimum, as what we do is directly impacted by what's going on in the world. When I'm not working and have spare time, I have switched from book/journal making to mask-making for donation. I  binged the Marvelverse films, and have moved on to binging The Good Place for background noise while I sew.  :)

Hi Meesa, how's it going? :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/18/20 at 10:09 pm

My local craft store had some nice designs on their fat quarters. I was quite tempted by some skull and crossbones patterns they had, or maybe those Mexican (?) decorated skulls

I’m sure you’ve posted a link to the pattern somewhere but I can’t find it. Can you remember which thread it was in? Starting to think about making some masks myself.

Actually I hadn't posted the link before.  Here it is: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

I printed the patterns on regular paper and they worked fine.  Happy sewing!  :)

Written By: karen on 04/19/20 at 4:35 am

Actually I hadn't posted the link before.  Here it is: https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

I printed the patterns on regular paper and they worked fine.  Happy sewing!  :)

Sometimes I muddled up you and Voice of the 70s. They had posted in the Coronavirus pinned topic in the 2020s section, but I hadn’t checked out that video before.

Written By: karen on 04/23/20 at 4:23 pm

I've printed off the pattern, but have been busy with scrubs wash bags and headbands for NHS workers. In the UK they are still not making mask wearing compulsory - though I did get shouted out by someone today for not wearing one.

Written By: Henk on 04/23/20 at 4:47 pm

I'm not in quarantine, although I have been working from home for about a week.
That was about a month ago, when there seemed to be a lot more panic about Covid-19 over here.
Luckily, things have eased down somewhat. We've kinda grown used to keeping our distance and not shaking hands.

Our office is still open, and spatious enough to allow most of us to still work there. Only a good handful work from home.
However, appointments have been postponed or replaced by telephone calls/video conferences. And our kitchen is relatively small, so we're only allowed one person at a time.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/26/20 at 10:09 am

I'm still in quarantine, I live with my parents, and I'm inside my house all day. I'm heading to college next fall after taking a break from dropping out of my previous college (for financial reasons). Hopefully, I can get a job to pay half of my monthly tuition along with my dad's help. But considering how this pandemic is ruining job prospects as over 26 million people and counting are now unemployed, I'm really concerned on how I'm able to pay over $400 each month. My dad can't be able to do that fully, so that's why he needs half of my income as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/20 at 11:14 am

I'm still in quarantine, I live with my parents, and I'm inside my house all day. I'm heading to college next fall after taking a break from dropping out of my previous college (for financial reasons). Hopefully, I can get a job to pay half of my monthly tuition along with my dad's help. But considering how this pandemic is ruining job prospects as over 26 million people and counting are now unemployed, I'm really concerned on how I'm able to pay over $400 each month. My dad can't be able to do that fully, so that's why he needs half of my income as well.
He in the UK, it is the start of the fruit picking season, is the same in the USA? Fruit-pickers are always needed.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/26/20 at 11:33 am

He in the UK, it is the start of the fruit picking season, is the same in the USA? Fruit-pickers are always needed.

I don’t know about elsewhere but my area supplies 72% of the cherries in the usa. They’re usually not ready till July. Same with strawberries, blueberries, probably others. But apples more like September or October. Heck I’ve still got snow on the side of my garage.

Written By: Sman12 on 04/26/20 at 1:59 pm

Well, the crop harvest season in my state started this month with aspargus, so there's that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/20 at 2:12 pm

I don’t know about elsewhere but my area supplies 72% of the cherries in the usa. They’re usually not ready till July. Same with strawberries, blueberries, probably others. But apples more like September or October. Heck I’ve still got snow on the side of my garage.
I did not realise you still had snow. Take  good care.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/20 at 2:18 pm

Well, the crop harvest season in my state started this month with aspargus, so there's that.
With more to follow?

Hoping you like asparagus?

Written By: Howard on 04/26/20 at 2:36 pm

Just staying at home, there's basically nothing much to do except when I have to go to work and I come home for the day and that's about it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/20 at 2:56 pm

Just staying at home, there's basically nothing much to do except when I have to go to work and I come home for the day and that's about it.
Same with me, but without the work.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/20 at 3:30 pm

With more to follow?

Hoping you like asparagus?

Love asparagus. In fact, Carlos & I are hoping to start an asparagus bed this year. Hopefully, it will yield a good crop in a couple of years.

Cat

Written By: nally on 04/26/20 at 9:57 pm

I on the other hand am able to work from home...which I will be doing on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday of this week. (My normal schedule is Monday/Wednesday/Friday, but this week I am making an adjustment due to Thursday being the last day of this month.)

Written By: nally on 04/26/20 at 9:59 pm

Love asparagus. In fact, Carlos & I are hoping to start an asparagus bed this year. Hopefully, it will yield a good crop in a couple of years.

Cat

That's good; I love asparagus too. Hope you and Carlos can get the crop going this year; good luck with that! O0

Written By: Howard on 04/27/20 at 4:27 am

Same with me, but without the work.

I'm just waiting patiently for places to open back up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/20 at 5:06 am

Cat
I normally avoid asparagus for it very high in protein, something that may flare up one of my conditions. But I may try an asparagus soup one day, just to try it out.

Written By: karen on 04/27/20 at 5:19 am

I normally avoid asparagus for it very high in protein, something that may flare up one of my conditions. But I may try an asparagus soup one day, just to try it out.

Is it? James is always on about increasing his protein intake. We’ve been looking at easy ways to do it without radically changing the meals we cook. We sometimes cook asparagus and serve it with some salmon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/20 at 5:33 am

Is it? James is always on about increasing his protein intake. We’ve been looking at easy ways to do it without radically changing the meals we cook. We sometimes cook asparagus and serve it with some salmon.
I will explain more in a PM, but give basic details here later on.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/20 at 8:15 am

20 Delicious High Protein Foods

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/20-delicious-high-protein-foods

Check for new replies or respond here...